The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
undamned

Re: The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Post by undamned »

zinger wrote:Septentrion is also a must-try. Totally unique experience!
Wow, never heard of that! Looks like it borrows from Taito's Cameltry (aka "On the Ball"). And for you who can't get enough of that style, "Koro Koro Post Nin" on the PS1 is similar.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
louisg

Post by louisg »

I agree about the PSX port. It's a little dirtier looking than the PC version (texture warping and IIRC it's missing some colors), but it runs and plays well, and the soundtrack is excellent. I also thought the 32x version played well even if it's low res and the music was terrible-- it's peppy and feels very Doom-like. Yeah, I'd stay away from the SNES one. Like the Wolf 3d port, it's nice try, no cigar.

I thought all the console versions were based more or less off the Jag ports with simplified geometry..?

Nobody's mentioned StarFox yet-- one of my absolute favorites! It was miles beyond so many later chase view shooters in terms of controls, and one of the first polygon games to really do something creative with the tech besides making yet another flight or car simulator. It definitely was a preview of things to come in the next generation.

And I totally second Cybernator. That's an incredible game.

I think Axelay gets a bad wrap. It's not really as good IMO as the Thunderforces and it can be a bit sparse, but it's an above average shmup.

I'd also offer: TMNT4 (one of the best beat 'em ups ever), Contra 3 (one of the most even Contra games past the NES era), F-Zero (launch title, still wonderfully fast and playable today, even next to (slower) games like WipeOut), and of course Mario Kart and SMW (these DEFINED the SNES!).
Humans, think about what you have done
BIL

Post by BIL »

I sometimes feel it's a shame Axelay didn't just go with straight overhead 2D for the vert stages, so they'd be as tight as the excellent hori ones. But the bizarre "cylindrical horizon" effect does have a unique charm, making it hard to truly dislike in spite of the slightly loose feeling it creates.

Having said that, it's the hori last stage that truly stands out. Pretty spectacular, a real "into the lion's den" affair.
KAI

Post by KAI »

SNES fighting games, NO!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

KAI wrote:SNES fighting games, NO!
I'd argue that Street Fighter II, Super Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha 2 were pretty damned good on the SNES.

PC-Engine Fan X! will now tell you all about the SDD1 chip used for SFA2 and Star Ocean ^_~
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

The only relevant SNES fighting game port is New Challengers, since it wasn't slow as hell as its arcade counterpart. There's no point in playing any other port since they are inferior to the arcade versions. Alpha 2 is buggy and broken as fuck, too.

Watch the SNES segment.

As for original games, the TMNT fighter was pretty cool.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Second page and Donkey Kong Country isn't on anybody's list - a good sign.
Still, Star Fox may be easier on the eye, but who does play it nowadays? With Doom on the PSX, well, if you wanna play Doom where your TV is, it would make some sense. But Star Fox?
I can imagine somebody playing 16-bit console racers, though.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Second page and Donkey Kong Country isn't on anybody's list - a good sign.
Still, Star Fox may be easier on the eye, but who does play it nowadays? With Doom on the PSX, well, if you wanna play Doom where your TV is, it would make some sense. But Star Fox?
I can imagine somebody playing 16-bit console racers, though.
DK Country is on the shitpile of end-of-generation style-over-substance games next to Vectorman.

In the late 90s, I took StarFox back out and played the hell out of it. It's really varied, well-paced, and has a lot of good ideas such as the enemies only attack if you shoot them (they turn red), entertaining and well-patterned bosses, corridor parts which harken back to Star Wars: The Arcade Game, and the last level which is pretty thrilling. In some ways, the StarFox games just got increasingly bland. Especially StarFox Assault, IMO. The first one might be the arcadiest of the bunch.
Humans, think about what you have done
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I really like DKC and DKC2, but now I'm curious to hear what you guys hate about it?
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Hagane wrote:Alpha 2 is buggy and broken as fuck, too.

As for original games, the TMNT fighter was pretty cool.
I was just about to post the same re: SNES Alpha 2, it's completely bodged, no idea why it's so fondly regarded. And agreed, Tourney Fighters was one of the best original SFC fighting games, far superior to the MD version. It's incredibly challenging, but taut, and am I wrong in thinking it was the first fighting game ever to have super combo attacks?

(Confirmation required!)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

drauch

Post by drauch »

People always rave about Weaponlord, but good god, that game is horrible and plays like garbage. I appreciate the sorta fantasy theme going on and the background images, but I really don't think the parry system works as well as some people claim. It's a horribly slow and clunky game, at least with my experience on the SNES. Never played the Genesis version myself.
Last edited by drauch on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Yeah MD Tournament Fighters is awful. As far as I know, the first game to ever have supers (and super bars) is Art of Fighting (September 1992). According to GameFaqs, Tournament Fighters came out in December 1993.

Drauch: yeah I never got the love for Weaponlord either. Some people claim it had a lot of innovations but in fact nearly everything it supposedly pioneered was done by Samurai Shodown a few years before.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Umihara Kawase - The best game ever made and consequently the best game on the SNES

Shin Megami Tensei - Nightmarish dungeon crawler. Excellent soundtrack and demented story. The sequel is arguably more polished.

Clock Tower - Pitch perfect homage to Dario Argento. Clumsy and panic inducing in all the right ways.

Seiken Densetsu 3 - Drop dead gorgeous and fun as hell.

Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past - Link's Awakening on the Gameboy perfected the formula, but this is undeniably amazing.

Mother 2 - Best RPG on the SNES. Possibly the best RPG ever made. Wilfully iconoclastic, ridiculously good fun.

Yoshi's Island - The best 2D Mario game. Pretty much 2D graphics perfected. Huge, and ends up being very challenging (for me anyway). Has a great GBA port.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I really want to check out Clock Tower now. Recommends in the same thread from fellow Silent Hill and Argento fans. :smile:
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I despise Clock Tower (apart from the cool 16 bit horror atmosphere). You'll love it.
Last edited by Drum on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yes, that seals it. :lol:
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Strictly as a game, it sucks badly. Awful controls and interface. Clock Tower 3 is a much better product overall.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Last edited by Drum on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

blackoak wrote:I really like DKC and DKC2, but now I'm curious to hear what you guys hate about it?
Dreadful collision detection, for one. The graphics are also really hideous, despite them being a highlight (apparently). The gameplay is basically harmless, but it's really by-the-numbers to the point of being vaguely offensive. Nice music though, depending on your tolerance for synth panpipes. I like the sound the game makes when you collect bananas.

Re: Clock Tower:
I enjoyed watching a playthrough on youtube more than I did any Argento movies. I think that's the best way to appreciate it, but ymmv.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Anyone have experience with the SFC Goemon games (the action RPG ones)? Seeing Rainbow Bell Adventure cited reminds me that they're in the purgatory of my "ROMs to try" list along with it. Don't care about the town roaming aspect at all (would just FAQ 'em), more wondering if the sidescrolling is worthwhile or just fluff. Presentation seems customarily beautiful as per the Konami of yore.

Good calls on Umihara Kawase too. The Real Platforming Simulator. I'm currently hopeless at it but grabbed the cart anyway when a nice condition one popped up. Expert replays made it clear it wasn't to be ignored.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Hagane wrote:Yeah MD Tournament Fighters is awful. As far as I know, the first game to ever have supers (and super bars) is Art of Fighting (September 1992). According to GameFaqs, Tournament Fighters came out in December 1993.

Drauch: yeah I never got the love for Weaponlord either. Some people claim it had a lot of innovations but in fact nearly everything it supposedly pioneered was done by Samurai Shodown a few years before.
The first fighting game with a super depends on how supers are defined and how the genre is defined. Here's how I understand the timeline: If an action game with a semi-real time fighting game engine for duels counts, then Hiryu no Ken (1987) has a meter that meets all modern criteria (can be used to perform special moves when fully charged and that's automatically filled through damage). For standard fighters, if it's a special move access meter that must be recharged manually, then Ryuko no Ken (1992) would indeed be first. If it's a special move access meter that's automatically filled through damage, then Samurai Spirits (1993) is first. If it's a special move access meter that's automatically filled through attacks and specials, then TMNT Tournament Fighters (1993) should be first.

I'm actually a fan of the MD Tournament Fighters as well even though the engine—and graphics for that matter—is nowhere near as polished. I don't care much for WeaponLord; the graphics never suited me and the mechanics...well, I think I've mentioned before that complexity doesn't appeal to my taste in fighters. I'd much rather play Fighter's History, where the home port includes playable bosses, or the SFC-exclusive Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu!! (probably the worst of the 3 games in the series).

The SFC excels in beat-em-up variety. Although I don't think anything matches up to Bare Knuckle II and III, there are so many more decent options. Besides Final Fight, I'm partial towards Sonic Blast Man 2, the Rushing Beat trilogy, and the racing/beat-em-up hybrid Zoku The Legend of Bishin.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Ganelon wrote:
Hagane wrote:Yeah MD Tournament Fighters is awful. As far as I know, the first game to ever have supers (and super bars) is Art of Fighting (September 1992). According to GameFaqs, Tournament Fighters came out in December 1993.

The first fighting game with a super depends on how supers are defined and how the genre is defined. Here's how I understand the timeline: If an action game with a semi-real time fighting game engine for duels counts, then Hiryu no Ken (1987) has a meter that meets all modern criteria (can be used to perform special moves when fully charged and that's automatically filled through damage). For standard fighters, if it's a special move access meter that must be recharged manually, then Ryuko no Ken (1992) would indeed be first. If it's a special move access meter that's automatically filled through damage, then Samurai Spirits (1993) is first. If it's a special move access meter that's automatically filled through attacks and specials, then TMNT Tournament Fighters (1993) should be first.
The OG Hiryu no Ken for arcade ('85) had the meter too and that's a straight fighter, but ... arcade Punch Out!! ('84), surely?

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I think DKC2 has much better level design than its progenitor.

Though towards K. Rool's Keep, the level design is less about good platforming and more about strict memorization... but then again I thought the shmup crowd was in to that thing! :P

Still, it's hard (for me) to fault the atmosphere of DKC2 - it has a wonderful sense of darkness and foreboding about it... Something I think Rare totally forgot about when making the (otherwise) excellent DKCR. I think they played the first game, said to themselves "These minecart levels are cool. Let's PUT THEM IN EVERY WORLD!" and forgot all the other cool things. Like Kremlings! Much cooler than tikis!

David Wise's music goes a long way towards building that atmosphere as well. The guy is a genius and his SNES instruments are some of the better-sounding on the system.

All this talk about Umihara Kawase makes me wish I had enough money to spring for the DS cart. 2D platforming is like, my favorite genre, so all this praise for the game always pricks my ears.
zinger

Post by zinger »

I wish Umihara Kawase was a linear action game with proper graphics.
undamned wrote:
zinger wrote:Septentrion is also a must-try. Totally unique experience!
Wow, never heard of that! Looks like it borrows from Taito's Cameltry (aka "On the Ball"). And for you who can't get enough of that style, "Koro Koro Post Nin" on the PS1 is similar.
-ud
It's nothing like Cameltry. Think of James Cameron's Titanic and everything in it that happened after the boat started sinking. The sense of anxiousness and stress you get from water flowing in, the electricity in certain sections of the ship suddenly being cut, and having to adapt to the entire goddamn interior rotating 360 degrees, is not only totally unique but also incredibly exciting! There seems to be an endless amount of rooms to visit and every now and then you meet passengers or crew members to speak to (for instance, if you go to the wine cellar you'll find a bunch of waiters who have given up on surviving and are trying to get themselves drunk), which adds tons to the realism and the sense of being lost and beyond hope. As if that wasn't enough there are also several different scenarios you can play out, depending on which character you chose the starting point of the game and the story is totally different. Due to lack of time I feel like I haven't even begun exploring the vastness of this game yet, but it's what I'll spend my christmas holiday doing (after that I'll probably continue playing Clock Tower which is by the same developer)
BIL wrote:Anyone have experience with the SFC Goemon games (the action RPG ones)? Seeing Rainbow Bell Adventure cited reminds me that they're in the purgatory of my "ROMs to try" list along with it. Don't care about the town roaming aspect at all (would just FAQ 'em), more wondering if the sidescrolling is worthwhile or just fluff. Presentation seems customarily beautiful as per the Konami of yore
The first Goemon game has great atmosphere but is very gimmicky. The town sections take up a lot of time (just randomly entering houses and saving up money for shit), are terribly boring and destroys what probably could have been a cool albeit simple platformer otherwise. I gave up on the sequel pretty fast since it seemed to have the same gimmicky approach to the action with simple mechanics. Nice presentation though. They're probably best enjoyed if you play around in them them casually with a friend. Overrated!

Rainbow Bell Adventure is terrible. There are tons of cool moves and the appearance of the levels have an obstacle course-like touch to them, so I expected it to be a cool arcade-ish scoring game with room for pulling of Alien Soldier-esque stunts. Stage design is just incredibly bad though so you never get to use all those moves in any kind of satisfying way, and since the stages are layed out as obstacle courses they're not very immersive from an aesthetical perspective either.
SOUNDSHOCK
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

The Original Starfox is still my favourite rail shooter.

For a long time I've wanted another dungeon crawler similar to Shining in the Darkness, and recently I discovered Arcana. Joy!
It begins in deep space warped by evil power
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Ganelon wrote:The first fighting game with a super depends on how supers are defined and how the genre is defined.
By fighting game I mean the genre started by Karate Champ, and by super a move above special moves. So, unless someone brings a proper fighting game (and not a sidescrolling beat'em up) AoF is the first game with supers and super bars. TF introducing a different charge method / super enabling condition doesn't change that AoF was first to include those mechanics in the genre.
BIL

Post by BIL »

zinger wrote:The first Goemon game has great atmosphere but is very gimmicky. The town sections take up a lot of time (just randomly entering houses and saving up money for shit), are terribly boring and destroys what probably could have been a cool albeit simple platformer otherwise. I gave up on the sequel pretty fast since it seemed to have the same gimmicky approach to the action with simple mechanics. Nice presentation though. They're probably best enjoyed if you play around in them them casually with a friend. Overrated!
Thanks for the impressions! I'll have to give them some more time - I'm always slightly lenient on high-production 16-bit titles that aren't genre-leaders provided the underlying game is at least competent (Axelay), but I don't go for cutesy stuff as much as Majuu Ou psycho freakouts, and the town stuff is totally wasted on me. Got fairly far into the first PS1 game and found it only passable, and lacking the 16-bit charm to boot.
The sense of anxiousness and stress you get from water flowing in, the electricity in certain sections of the ship suddenly being cut, and having to adapt to the entire goddamn interior rotating 360 degrees, is not only totally unique but also incredibly exciting!
Septentrion is definitely on my check list now.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Goemon 2 and 4 and the best, precisely because they ditch most of the boring town/exploration bits. The latter is really quite brilliant in its presentation and breadth of ideas. Just don't expect an arcade-game-like experience, not that that's ever what Goemon was about.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Hagane wrote:Art of Fighting
Of course! Thanks for the info. :wink:
MX7 wrote:Umihara Kawase - The best game ever made and consequently the best game on the SNES
Hmm, although this game gets rapturous praise all round, for this to be the best game ever made I must be missing a trick somewhere or completely losing my mind. I've got UK for the SFC and despite giving it plenty of undivided attention it comes across as a rather poor game. Ok, you can swing from a hook and the physics and flukes can be kind of neat, and I've seen superplays that really go to town - but the presentation sucks ass, the controls are fucking clunky, the music is extremely average, and that early tadpole boss is borderline broken.

This review basically sums up my experience with it so far:
http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/7217.html

I figure I must be missing something, so enlighten me.
Drum wrote:Gourmet Sentai
Psycho Dream
Super Ninja-Kun
These games can only really be recommended if people get off on weirdness and/or obscurity, as none are particularly good. Gourmet has bizarre novelty, but not much game, Psycho Dream is below average, and Super Ninja-Kun is tragically disappointing after you progress from the first stage.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

CIT

Post by CIT »

I rather like Umihara Kawase, but which brainiac thought it would be a good idea to put the HUD in the middle of the fucking screen!?
Last edited by CIT on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.