The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Skykid

Re: The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Post by Skykid »

Bloodreign wrote:The one thing I found out about some Capcom SNES ports of their arcade titles, besides the loss of 2 players in some of them, their speed. The games just seem to move sluggishly, yet really fly for the arcade versions. King of Dragons is solid, but the speed is slower, Knights of the Round, same thing, though that one is one of the slower Capcom arcade beat em ups. Captain Commando, for the prices it goes for now, that one seems to have suffered the worst. Drab colors, music seems terribly downgraded, and it moves far slower than it's arcade counterpart, though that could either be poor programming, or the slower SNES CPU coming into play.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own KotR and Cap Commando, but they are too expensive now. King of Dragons, thankfully I bought that one before the price skyrocketed on it.
Jeez, every time I look at SFC stuff it gets more crazy. KotR is going for £100 on fleabay? :|

I picked that up a few years ago for either next to nothing or actually nothing. It wasn't on my list of express wants, meaning I would only have bought it as part of a bundle for peanuts.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Domino

Post by Domino »

To me it is funny that some loose carts are getting to the point of PCB prices. I mean geez SNES Aero Fighters cost a lot more than Aero Fighters PCB.

Normally I have a rule that I don't pick up ports unless they improve the game experience (Hellfire MD) or they remix it up (Area 88 SFC). To me some of the prices the Capcom SFC ports are going for is nuts.

I was really thinking about picking up King of Dragons then I came to my senses and paid $60 for Hagane.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

What is going on in the past year or so with prices on stuff in general. I mean I've seen things go up since their release in the 90s/80s.... but it seems like everything has shot up rapidly in the past 2 years.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Domino

Post by Domino »

So after beating Hagane I came to the conclusion that the game isn't hard at all. Or maybe I'm getting too good in video games in general? Fun fact: The Sword is your best friend.

Other news I should get Flying Hero and Sonic Wings. I'm breaking my oath of no arcade ports with Sonic Wings but meh I just want more shooting games.

But regarding the easyness of Hagane, are there any hard platformers for the SFC? Not hard where the game takes forever to beat it, but hard in difficulty.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nah, Hagane's not especially difficult, certainly not its first loop. The second is a quickie enemy HP buff and takes some adjusting, but it's not too radical an increase. Beyond the typical "zomg I died?! this is sooo mean uguuu" reaction, I think people get tangled up in the flashier moves, which really depend on an experienced player to work. Just get the basics down with the sword/shuriken, and add flash later on.

Still a fantastic ninja sidescroller, of course.

Offhand, Choumakaimura and Actraiser 2 come to mind for harder sidescrolling action on SFC. Contra Spirits on Hard is a hell of a run, but it gives tons of extends and bombs so it's more reliant on the no-miss. I don't think I've found anything else comparably rigorous to Alien Soldier (MD), Holy Diver or Metal Storm (2-ALL) (FC). Would be interested to hear from others, I'm not quite as familiar with the SFC as those systems.

edit: oh yeah, Perikles has mentioned Metal Warriors (SNES exclusive) being a good challenge.

Re: shooters, have you got Super Aleste? The two max difficulties are some of the best vertical shooting I've found in that entire console generation. Highest is fast suicide bullets, lower is slow; both turn the previously sedate game into an absolute technical minefield. Definitely the one SFC vert I'd never be without, opposite Bio Metal.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

I know Cybernator has given me a hell of a time, or maybe I just suck at it. Damned fine game, but good luck to me doing well at it.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Domino wrote:So after beating Hagane I came to the conclusion that the game isn't hard at all. Or maybe I'm getting too good in video games in general? Fun fact: The Sword is your best friend.

Other news I should get Flying Hero and Sonic Wings. I'm breaking my oath of no arcade ports with Sonic Wings but meh I just want more shooting games.

But regarding the easyness of Hagane, are there any hard platformers for the SFC? Not hard where the game takes forever to beat it, but hard in difficulty.
Wow, I'll have to give Hagane another try. I had a really hard time with is before. I guess I just suck at platformers.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bloodreign wrote:I know Cybernator has given me a hell of a time, or maybe I just suck at it. Damned fine game, but good luck to me doing well at it.
Beyond the usual mastering of setpieces and bosses, it's important to know how to level up the weapons (pretty sure all this applies to both JP and US). Basically, get the fists maxed out ASAP (easily doable by the end of st2). Then work on the vulcan (should be maxed by st4/5, depending on how many secrets you're finding), and finally the laser (if you really push it with kills and secrets, you can have it maxed before st5's end - the sooner, the better). Fist is the ultimate hard target smasher. Laser's piercing sweep is invaluable for strafing multiple firing targets (like the deceptively lethal infantry in st7.1). Vulcan's bouncy cheetos really aren't that great, but you're limited to it and missiles in st6.2, so it really helps to have it maxed out.

Ignore the missiles, they're useless AFAIK. I could easily be wrong there (maybe there's a reason they're the game's only limited-ammo weapon...?), but I've always found them redundant.

Helluva game. Image Rare hybrid of excellence in action and cinema.
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

Domino wrote: I'm breaking my oath of no arcade ports with Sonic Wings but meh I just want more shooting games.
Acrobat Mission is worthy of attention.

It has a moderate challenge level (for a console game) and some novel mechanics/gimmicks. Bullet canceling charge shots with big/weird hitboxes, autobombs. Enemies and terrain can be crashed into without destroying your ship. It's a pretty funky game, and seems like a weird choice for a publisher to port/release on the SFC.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Actraiser 2 is only platforming right? I like the first game but I wasn't into the God sim part of it.
andsuchisdeath wrote:
Acrobat Mission is worthy of attention.

It has a moderate challenge level (for a console game) and some novel mechanics/gimmicks. Bullet canceling charge shots with big/weird hitboxes, autobombs. Enemies and terrain can be crashed into without destroying your ship. It's a pretty funky game, and seems like a weird choice for a publisher to port/release on the SFC.
I always like the arcade original, I thought the port might be weird for the SNES. Might need to review it again.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Domino wrote:Actraiser 2 is only platforming right? I like the first game but I wasn't into the God sim part of it.
Yup - 100% sidescrolling action. There's still a world map but it's merely used to select a stage.

Excellent sword action game with a unique emphasis on death from above, and a bit of a learning curve. In brief, it's all about the i-frames. Don't dodge stuff, punch straight through it and kill whatever sent it your way in the process.

All About ActRaiser 2 Invincible Frames (all credit to PJ)
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Strider77 wrote:What is going on in the past year or so with prices on stuff in general. I mean I've seen things go up since their release in the 90s/80s.... but it seems like everything has shot up rapidly in the past 2 years.
Yeah, I've noticed it too. I see a lot of games on Price Charting that have doubled in price since 2013-2014, and sellers have become brick walls when I try to haggle a bit. Think there is too much speculative buying now. I've spoken to dealers who basically told me that they keep all of the good stuff out of their stores - they sit on it at home waiting for the price to rise. The stores are basically a front to pick up cheap collections. They are no longer interested in selling me good games at fair prices, but they'll gladly sell me unwanted loose carts for $10 each.

Bloodreign wrote:I know Cybernator has given me a hell of a time, or maybe I just suck at it. Damned fine game, but good luck to me doing well at it.
I recall blowing through it on a weekend rental when I was in high school. Really fun game, but it didn't strike me as being difficult - not like some of the NES games I've played. I thought Metal Storm was far more difficult, for example, but sometimes my perception is skewed because I was also better at video games by the time the SNES was around.

Domino wrote:And I am curious of people opinions on Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters for SFC? Not good, too overprice for a port, etc
I don't have any basis for comparison in terms of port quality, but I thought it was the most fast-paced shmup on the SNES. Definitely get Sonic Wings instead of Aero Fighters, it's still under $100. The prices for Aero Fighters are somehow twice as stupid as they were a few years ago when loose carts were $200 and I bought Sonic Wings complete for less than $20.

Anyway, carry on with your discussions. I'm mostly curious to see what games people are talking about.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Sonic Wings SFC is one of the best shmups on the SNES, definitely top 3 as far as vertical shumps on the system. It's basically the closest thing you can get to a Psikyo shmup on the SFC/SNES. Also, Sonic Wings has 2 loops while the US version, Aero Fighters (which is 10x the price), only has a single loop, so the SFC version is actually superior.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

BIL wrote:
Beyond the usual mastering of setpieces and bosses, it's important to know how to level up the weapons (pretty sure all this applies to both JP and US). Basically, get the fists maxed out ASAP (easily doable by the end of st2). Then work on the vulcan (should be maxed by st4/5, depending on how many secrets you're finding), and finally the laser (if you really push it with kills and secrets, you can have it maxed before st5's end - the sooner, the better). Fist is the ultimate hard target smasher. Laser's piercing sweep is invaluable for strafing multiple firing targets (like the deceptively lethal infantry in st7.1). Vulcan's bouncy cheetos really aren't that great, but you're limited to it and missiles in st6.2, so it really helps to have it maxed out.

Ignore the missiles, they're useless AFAIK. I could easily be wrong there (maybe there's a reason they're the game's only limited-ammo weapon...?), but I've always found them redundant.

Helluva game. Image Rare hybrid of excellence in action and cinema.
Really? I never use the punch, always played maxing out the vulcan then the laser (search stage 5 then farm enemies at the boss. Shield gets a lot of use too! Vulcan (or napalm) is needed for the cave level because it strips away your punch and laser. Laser is essential for the snow bit leading up to it.

Missiles can be useful at level 1 because they fire straight and do decent damage. The rubbish homing of levels 2 and 3 make it useless though.

Such a great game, just a shame there aren't difficulty settings to add a bit more challenge.
BIL

Post by BIL »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Really? I never use the punch, always played maxing out the vulcan then the laser (search stage 5 then farm enemies at the boss. Shield gets a lot of use too! Vulcan (or napalm) is needed for the cave level because it strips away your punch and laser. Laser is essential for the snow bit leading up to it.
Yeah, the fully-charged L3 fist's projectile makes ridiculously short work of things - much faster than vulcan (try it out on st3's boss). I actually deliberately switch to vulcan for st4's skirmish with rival pilot guy, otherwise it's over even sooner. I'm pretty sure fist will kill individual targets quicker than L3 laser, too, but the latter's range, rate of fire and piercing make it the overall best weapon by far.

Don't think I've ever actually used Napalm, haha. I know how to trigger it but like you said, the game's not incredibly difficult to begin with.

Blocking is a must, yeah. Worth noting that you're guarded on all sides... I actually didn't realise this until long after I'd cleared the game, despite the mech's shoulder guards visibly shielding it.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I'll have to give it a go next time I fire up the SNES.

You can make napalm upgradable if you get through stage 2 without killing anything prior to the boss. It's pretty tough because you can't hit any asteroids or even trigger any of the mines, but boss satellites don't seem to count. It's quite disappointing though, not really worth the effort.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I'm working on an 1cc of Super EDF these days, which I feel should be within the range of my skills. Got through the end yesterday with a seven million points. [edit: 1CC achieved, default settings 10.459.100]

Searching the forums I see many prefer the arcade original, which I never played, but judging from youtube longplays I'd say the Snes one is a more refined package. Graphically it's clearly superior, just do a comparison of stage2's background graphics. The gameplay bits it loses from the arcade don't seem too interesting (not even the uridiumlike second half of stage2); and it generally gives the impression that they made a more compact but also more focused game. Doubling the range of weapons to choose from also seems a winning idea, although I concede that some of them are never to be used.
Last edited by Turrican on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Has anyone here played Super Final Match Tennis enough to give me a detailed opinion on the game?

Judging SNES tennis games is tricky: everyone only talks about Super Tennis, which is considered the best one, but is also a launch title, so I guess at least part of its reputation comes from the great exposure it enjoyed.
Super Tennis took the world by storm, eclipsing the success of a very neat game released not much before: PCE's Final Match Tennis. Still, the game retains its fans to this very day.
Then on Snes came Bluebyte's Jimmy Connors which was praised by the magazines at the time but nowadays fails to leave a lasting impression.
In 1994, Human's sequel for Final Match Tennis was released for the SFC. It features males and females players, lots of customization (even the choice of strings for your racket) and 4player play via multitap... With all this and with it being the first proper sequel of a PCE classic, you'd imagine it to get some coverage, but I didn't find much on the internet. Maybe 1994 was just too late, and it was considered and "old" type of game, almost retrogaming, a PCE-vintage thing (not even Super Play, the bible of the SFC importer, covered it)... Maybe it didn't help that the game stayed Japan-only... Or maybe it simply doesn't live up to the standards set by its predecessor. Which one is it?
Last edited by Turrican on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
X - P - B
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Cybernator / Valken is super easy.

Also the Napalm is very powerful, worth its hidden status - but it makes the game even easier. Don't use it until you get a decent clear.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:Has anyone here played Super Final Match Tennis enough to give me a detailed opinion on the game?

Judging SNES tennis games is tricky: everyone only talks about Super Tennis, which is considered the best one, but is also a launch title, so I guess at least part of its reputation comes from the great exposure it enjoyed.
Super Tennis took the world by storm, eclipsing the success of a very neat game released not much before: PCE's Final Match Tennis. Still, the game retains its fans to this very day.
Then on Snes came Bluebyte's Jimmy Connors which was praised by the magazines at the time but nowadays fails to leave a lasting impression.
In 1994, Human's sequel for Final Match Tennis was released for the SFC. It features males and females players, lots of customization (even the choice of strings for your racket) and 4player play via multitap... With all this and with it being the first proper sequel of a PCE classic, you'd imagine it to get some coverage, but I didn't find much on the internet. Maybe 1994 was just too late, and it was considered and "old" type of game, almost retrogaming, a PCE-vintage thing... Maybe it didn't help that the game stayed Japan-only... Or maybe it simply doesn't live up to the standards set by its predecessor. Which one is it?
I wouldn't mind hearing more on this. I'm also curious about Super Family Tennis since I like Family Tennis for Famicom quite a bit. I also heard World Court Tennis for TG-16 is similar to the FC game, but with extra features like a RPG style mode (which Super Family Tennis doesn't have).
Domino

Post by Domino »

I picked up Actraiser 2. Very slow moving platforming game ATM. Can't figure out how to control your character when doing a double jump. Lovely art thou....

Also I picked up Sonic Wings. Shocking it is a good port but it isn't like the PCB is pricey to begin with. I still found putting a vertical game and make it horizontal will have plenty of compromises.

But in the end of the day I still prefer a FC platformer over a SFC one. :?
BIL

Post by BIL »

The most important air techniques are the simplest - jump once and hit down+attack for the downthrust (completely invincible+piercing, decent damage, general-purpose i-frame dodge).

Jump twice and hit down+attack for its upgrade, the sword dive. You can bust these out much more spontaneously and rapidly than it might appear, using the tiniest amounts of vertical+forward travel. Just tap "jump" twice then buffer down+attack like crazy. Even stuff that's technically in front of you is easily tagged - connect with the sword then pull back so you land out of range, and repeat. Or bust straight through the target, if they're advancing on you. Note that the sword dive will cancel the "sliding stop" of a normal landing, important if you're on precarious footing (and a good habit to have regardless).

Realising I could cram in as many sword dives as my dexterity allowed is when I started to really like AR2. You can also slash while gliding forward, but it's not an offensive asset like the downthrusts (unless magic is involved). Gliding itself can be used to bypass huge swathes of ground, but it takes planning - bit like Alien Soldier's Zero Teleport. Try leaping off the cliff edge in Modero and holding right for an easy example.

The first game has more platforming, IIRC - the sequel's more of a hack and slasher.
Domino wrote:But in the end of the day I still prefer a FC platformer over a SFC one. :?
No surprise there, the FC's still the ultimate sidescrolling action machine. ;3 The subsequent two gens have some superb highlights but it's hard to beat such quality and quantity.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

BIL wrote:
Domino wrote:But in the end of the day I still prefer a FC platformer over a SFC one. :?
No surprise there, the FC's still the ultimate sidescrolling action machine. ;3 The subsequent two gens have some superb highlights but it's hard to beat such quality and quantity.
You aren't lying. I was put off the FC for the longest time because the games that everybody says are great ... generally aren't all that great. I mean, that's basically a truism for every console, but it's especially true for that one.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

anyone have any experience with the super ufo flash cart? I know it doesn't support the special chip games, but I'm not bothered about that. I only really want it to play fan translated rpgs, super expensive games and rom hacks. I just want to know, does it work and is it reliable? it's so much cheaper than the other flash carts that it makes me feel slightly dubious about it.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

ok I have another question, hopefully it will be more successful than the last one!

I recently got a copy of Yoshi's island (SFC) off ebay which didn't work when it arrived. it's missing one metal connector thing at the bottom which I'm guessing is the problem. neither of my other two SFC games have these metal connectors at the bottom which makes me think they have something to do with the extra chip Yoshi's island has.

can anyone tell me how likely it is that this missing connector is the problem, and is there anywhere you can buy them?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

ok since I know my description was terrible here is a picture showing the metal connector thing in question, and the space where the other is missing. it looks like they touch onto two square areas on the pcb. anyone know if I can buy these things anywhere? or if this is likely to be the reason the game doesn't work?

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I don't think that metal piece has to do with the game not working. Out of the JP special chip games I have, Kirby Super Deluxe only has one and Rockman X2 has none and both work fine. I also have the US Yoshi's Island and it also has only one metal tab.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

My Yoshi's Island on SF only has one metal tab also.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Hmm. Then I have no idea why this doesn't work. The pcb looks fine.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

little Assault Suits Valken interview+concept art for your perusal: http://shmuplations.com/assaultsuitsvalken/

I also found a short one-chapter manga of Assault Suits Valken. Maybe I'll translate it next month? It's a "side story" that takes place in between stages 5 and 6, I believe.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!