I've been to hell and back, and other Makaimura Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: I've been to hell and back, and other Makaimura Miscella

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:The Sea of Despairs crashing waves and music combo nails the epic feel.
Yes - always loved Cho's portrayal of a vast, treacherous ocean. The use of independently rising and falling BG layers to portray both distance and wave motion still looks fantastic today. Technically it's a raft setpiece as seen in many other sidescrollers... but the pitiless juggernaut that is the open sea looks true-to-life terrifying like in no other 2D game I can think of. Makes Arthur appear thoroughly dwarfed by his surroundings, makes you feel like a goddamn crusading hero.
Synnae

Post by Synnae »

Does anyone know if there's a way to start from the 2nd loop on the Arcade version of Daimakaimura/Ghouls n Ghosts? either that or simply unlock the final boss right on the 1st loop. Because going through everything twice is a pain. :(

I don't know if this is possible by modifying dipswitches or doing something of the sort.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Synnae wrote:going through everything twice is a pain. :(
Welcome to Hell.

village
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Goku Makaimura (Kai) has a unique boss fight with some witches that bridges the first loop to the second. Something like this would have been welcome in the earlier games.

I didn't know until recently that Goku was developed by TOSE. Definitely one of their standout efforts, and they've taken countless projects on contract since the early eighties for too many publishers to list, with the bulk of their output being licensed shovelware.
J_Taishu

Post by J_Taishu »

I've been playing this game for the past week. Ghosts and Goblins is hard game, but it's really those last two Satans that are just over the top. They are the reason I'm playing Makaimura New Verison. Not an easy game by any means, but it's doable and some day I'll get the 1CC... maybe.

Here's the problem I have: I can't figure out when the appropriate time to get the crucifix is. Should I just pick it up whenever I see it first, or is there a way to make it appear in Stage 6?
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

I usually pick it up as soon as it appears. It might have a limited range, but that never bothered me.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

I always get the cross in stage 4, by farming the little imps that show up at the start of the bridge. It's kind of rough to learn to fight the dragon and stages 5 and 6 with the cross, but I think it's the best weapon to use in loop 2 and beyond, when the Red Arremers get a lot nastier with their projectiles.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

Hi shmups, not posted here for years (nor played that much for that matter) but i did play a few shooters at a friend's recently (skills not dead :mrgreen: )
The G&G series is my favorite. I used to play Ghosts & Goblins as a small kid when it was new (yes i'm old). The first one has so much personality, like shinobi and twin cobra. Years later (after i 1CCed dai and cho), i did 1CC both loops (like 15 years ago!). In my experience the 1st one was the toughest, followed by cho(looks like i'm in the minority) then dai.

Anyways, my story is that i couldn't 1CC even the first loop of ghosts & goblins, until one day i did both loops!

I did look at the PSP one but it looks like a flash game :? The best ones are probably still the first 2..
boagman

Post by boagman »

chtimi-CLA wrote:I did look at the PSP one but it looks like a flash game :? The best ones are probably still the first 2..
It's not that bad, especially the Kai Japan-only re-release. In fact, I'm quite happy with the game. It's the reason I bought the system.

I certainly can appreciate that it's far reaching from the "purity" of the original(s), but having said that, I still like it a great deal.
J_Taishu

Post by J_Taishu »

I'll second that Goku Makaimura Kai is a worthwhile game. It does have some design flaws that actually make the game too easy if you abuse them. As for my initial query about the Cross, I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

I am curious about one other thing, do the Red Arremer ever change their pattern? I could swear I've seen a few attack patterns variations on the 4th Arremer in the 3rd board and the 3rd Arremer on the 6th board.
boagman

Post by boagman »

J_Taishu wrote:I'll second that Goku Makaimura Kai is a worthwhile game. It does have some design flaws that actually make the game too easy if you abuse them.
My biggest peeve with Goku Makaimura in general is the fact that they got too busy trying to keep up with the Joneses that they got away from the purity of what makes the original games so great. Simplicity is what makes the series go great and accessible, and wowweewowwow, did they ever get away from the simplicity of the thing. It sort of loses some of its elegance due to being too convoluted. You really start to question what can and/or should be done at any given time when you're picking between shields, magics, etc. Can I reach that area? How about if I fly to it? Can it be accessed in 7 seconds? How about that particular ring?

It got to be such a headache. Kai helped alleviate some (not all) of that frustration, and reeled the ridiculousness in a bit.

Don't get me wrong: the series is kind of *designed* to be a headache-inducing exercise, but there are headaches that keep you coming back for more (like brain freeze!), and headaches that you just want to go away forever. I enjoy the first, but don't enjoy the second.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

boagman wrote:
J_Taishu wrote:I'll second that Goku Makaimura Kai is a worthwhile game. It does have some design flaws that actually make the game too easy if you abuse them.
My biggest peeve with Goku Makaimura in general is the fact that they got too busy trying to keep up with the Joneses that they got away from the purity of what makes the original games so great. Simplicity is what makes the series go great and accessible, and wowweewowwow, did they ever get away from the simplicity of the thing. It sort of loses some of its elegance due to being too convoluted. You really start to question what can and/or should be done at any given time when you're picking between shields, magics, etc. Can I reach that area? How about if I fly to it? Can it be accessed in 7 seconds? How about that particular ring?

It got to be such a headache. Kai helped alleviate some (not all) of that frustration, and reeled the ridiculousness in a bit.
Honestly, I think Kai resolved any issues the original made with its format departures, it's absolutely godlike and possibly the series high point. I still haven't managed to fell the second loop despite making it so damn close so many times, but it's so beautifully put together I'm confident in singing its praises. I know some people complain that you get too reliant on flying boots and shield power, but Makaimura has always been about finding the right weapons and powering through, so it's no problem as far as I'm concerned.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

boagman

Post by boagman »

Skykid wrote:Honestly, I think Kai resolved any issues the original made with its format departures, it's absolutely godlike and possibly the series high point. I still haven't managed to fell the second loop despite making it so damn close so many times, but it's so beautifully put together I'm confident in singing its praises. I know some people complain that you get too reliant on flying boots and shield power, but Makaimura has always been about finding the right weapons and powering through, so it's no problem as far as I'm concerned.
If only they'd gotten rid of the rings...that would probably be able to get me to completely agree with that, more or less.

Don't misunderstand: I *love* the game. It's a complete winner, even with its faults. The original US version had me plenty happy, though frustrated with the convolutedness of the thing. Kai does it even more closely to the original concept, which I greatly appreciate. The game is an aesthetic wonder/beauty, though. It remains the only soundtrack I've ever bought individually, and I love it to death.

There's no hesitance with me in singing the game's praises at all...just remarking that the Kai version did even more to bolster its praises. When I do criticize the game, it's not complaining so much as it is picking nits. It's not that the complaints aren't legitimate or that they shouldn't be mentioned, it's just that they're not enough to ruin it, or make it anything less than great.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Skykid wrote:Honestly, I think Kai resolved any issues the original made with its format departures, it's absolutely godlike and possibly the series high point.
Does it have the same RNG Terror agressive enemies and blazing speed and pace of Dai? Will give it a try ASAP if so.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Skykid wrote:Honestly, I think Kai resolved any issues the original made with its format departures, it's absolutely godlike and possibly the series high point.
Does it have the same RNG Terror agressive enemies and blazing speed and pace of Dai? Will give it a try ASAP if so.
I have no idea what that means...but you should really try it. I love it, and it's one of the best reasons to have a PSP.
Squire Grooktook

boagman wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:
I have no idea what that means...but you should really try it. I love it, and it's one of the best reasons to have a PSP.
I mean, one of my favorite things about Daimakaimura (Ghouls and Ghosts, the second game, I refer to it by Japanese title because the jp version of the arcade game is superior) is the omniprescient randomness of enemy spawns and patterns. You have to react constantly in that game. By speed and pace, I mean that Daimakaimura is by far the fastest moving title in the franchise IMO.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

If you like that about Daimakaimura, I recommend giving J.J. Squawkers [Arcade, Athena] a shot. Extremely random, really fast, very fluid. It's not my #2 game of all time for no reason.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Squire Grooktook

^^^Oh cool, that one's been on my "to play" list for a while now. Maybe I'll give it a run tonight..

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Squire Grooktook

I'll give it a try later after homework and come back with impressions :)

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Squire Grooktook

Gave the first two stages a try on break.

So far, seems legit. At worst, I was expecting either a walk in the park or a IWBTG-esque kaizo bullshit land, given the reputation of the franchise. Thankfully, it seems like the guys who made this know their stuff.

First stage plays very much like Daimakaimura. Fast paced, random (brief experiments seem to say zako spawns had no patterns, like the old games), and punishes you for not pushing through as fast as possible. All out solid level design throughout, and I liked that there were several types of different zakos spawning around you, as opposed to the singular zombies or reapers of the first two games. Adds a bit more welcome confusion and chaos to the mix.

Second stage is a bit more methodical (that's not necessarily bad though), with mostly static enemies for the first half and an emphasis on inching along carefully. Perhaps more comparable to Chomakaimura. Also features a pretty well done return of the original's "ogre building", which picks up the twitch elements while still forcing more measured action. A little longer then I would prefer, but a nice change of pace and well done.

There were a few minor glitches and some long loading times when I tried it, but not much else negative to speak of. Also has Super R-Type style "restart the whole damn stage when you die" checkpoints, which is quite nasty. Not sure if this is quite as fast paced as Dai, given the more methodical second stage, but it seems like a nice remix of GNG concepts. I'll probably spend some more time with this later.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

^^ What version are you playing? Arcade or Genesis?

BTW if you want first 1CC try the US version and set to practice mode. Very manageable and whenever you died at the boss it sends back before the boss, rather send to the long checkpoint.
Squire Grooktook

I'm talking about the recently released fan game mentioned above. Not Dai or Cho.

I've already 1 life-cleared the JP arcade version of Daimakaimura.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Wow I didn't know you've done that. Very crazy, I've been told the 1-life clear is never consistent.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Squire Grooktook

trap15 wrote:Wow I didn't know you've done that. Very crazy, I've been told the 1-life clear is never consistent.
Thanks :D I'd say that even a 1cc is not totally consistent, since picking up a bad weapon by accident can result in some very interesting and unexpected situations. Then again, most really difficult clears aren't too consistent for me.

I actually revisit the game every now and then casually, and that's still the only 1lc I have under my belt, so there's probably some truth to that.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Dai is not that hard as long as you manage to keep a good weapon. If you are careful you can avoid getting screwed by RNG, and if you reach the second loop with the golden armor the game becomes much easier since the special flame weapon is tremendously overpowered. It nullifies projectiles, and projectile shooting enemies are the hardest thing about the game.
Squire Grooktook

In my experience, accidental item drops are just as hard to evade at times as enemies themselves. Chest drops alone can take up awkward positions, but the most dangerous part is any zako can spawn carrying a pot and, if his presence is not reacted to properly, can drop it in a place where picking up the item becomes mandatory. Avoidable, but I never truly feel "safe" from them. One more reflex element to the game.

It's not that hard a 1cc imo, but it's still tense, raw arcade difficulty with a definite emphasis on reflexes over routing IMO. A 1lc is a league above a simple 1cc though. I'd say maybe 1lc'ing is about on par with a hard-ish Cave 1-all or something (I think it took me about as much time and effort to clear as Guwange, and a lot more then DDP, DOJ, or Dangun Feveron).

Also yeah, I have no clue why some non-speedrunners occasionally say "dagger on both loops till the last stage". The Psycho Cannon has some minor drawbacks, but it overall allows you to play a much safer game. Also it's fun and opens up some aggressive new boss strategies.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

Hello! I'm back with more video news, this time Chomakaimura!
I've done a 1 life clear of both loops of Chomakaimura on Professional Mode

https://youtu.be/MivJbrkx2O8

This means I'm in the unique position of having totally mastered the first 3 games of the series (Gokumakaimura Kai on PSP is the last remaining game I have to sink my teeth into), so I can help shed some light on how the difficulties compare between them (as there's been tons of debate in this thread)

In my opinion, the difficulty in the first three games is like this:

Makaimura (US) > Chomakaimura (Professional mode) = Makaimura (JP rev G) > Daimakaimura

Hope you guys enjoy the video! This one is dedicated to Skykid (I loved reading his rants about how difficult Cho was, he helped make me want to tackle this game!). Keep at it partner!
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Dai is by far the easiest game in the series I think. The RNG isn't that harsh either, you sort of get a feeling for it after a while. Cho is still the hardest for me personally.

Seeing as we're posting vids. My 1-life run up until Lucifer and then I misaligned myself with a laser and lost a life, sooo pissed :/

http://youtu.be/nOTVpx1_Whs

@Mikehaggar: Nice! I picked up a cheap SFC from eBay last week (10.50gbp!) so I may start playing this again on professional mode. Is it much harder from your experience?
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

mikehaggar wrote: Hope you guys enjoy the video! This one is dedicated to Skykid (I loved reading his rants about how difficult Cho was, he helped make me want to tackle this game!). Keep at it partner!
Ha ha, thanks for the dedication! I actually got the clear I was after in the end, although I did mine on defaults - wouldn't attempt Professional, what insanity.

Goku Makaimura Kai is the only one that's got the better of me. I 1cc'd its first loop a few times but boy oh boy that game is savage. Even if you exploit the winged boots and shield weapon, it's very tough. I have a feeling you'll put that top of the difficulty list once you get around to it.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die