shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:39 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: beatmania IIDX thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:31 am 

Hi IIDX thread... got back into this game a few months ago, been making a lot of progress (up to 4th dan/5th dan on the CS releases after 10... still can't deal with the speed changing songs in 10th and earlier...) Thinking of doing something very silly and getting a second controller. Any advice for prospective doubles players?

Also Keyboardmania is quite fun! I think it's good to switch between at least two different music games in a rotation...

三十六計走為上策

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:53 am 

I got into DP after a long time playing one handed (right handed). It helps a lot, but it also made my progression pretty wonky - I'm probably capable of clearing 9s or 10s with my right, and maybe 6s or 7s with my left so how well I do on DP is heavily tied to how well I can recover from left hand-heavy sections before the end. That said, I pulled off my first DP 12 a couple days ago so my left hand is starting to pull its weight. (Still, there are 10s that end me. Oops.)

I don't necessary think you need to/should practice one handed in preparation for DP (though it might ease the transition a bit to have one hand able to carry you). DP requires new hand positioning skills (one handed won't prepare you for scratching AND handling the keys at once) and reading skills (you're watching twice as much and at higher levels trying to suss out the separate rhythms each hand is playing) which you might as well develop while getting your hands used to covering 7 keys each. Get ready to fail a lot, turn your speed down a bit, and have fun. DP is a great way to keep your enthusiasm when you hit a wall in SP.

It's also worth mentioning that Konami took a while to figure DP out - early games had a lot of poor charting even at low levels, so you'll get things like scratches+key 7 chords. Even once they moved past that, I think they had a bit of a right hand bias for a while - modern songs are better charted. I've heard people refer to Empress as the turning point but I haven't been deep enough into DP to really comment on that. I mostly avoid anything before 5th Style.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:39 pm 

Lately I've been playing virtually nothing besides iidx; I burnt Empress and Gold to discs to play on my FMCB PS2, and I'm still fiddling around a bit with LR2 (although I only have a controller for the PS2).

I'm seriously considering looking into getting a DJ Dao or Virgoo controller for Christmas, mostly because they're PC compatible...

Up to 6 Dan at the moment, although just barely, and I'm still not sure if I'm using appropriate hand positions on the controller since my hands still tend to cramp up while playing...

Also I just learned about the concept of green number, so right now I'm trying to figure out the right number for me...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 am 

Bump time! Anybody's playing still in 2018?

I've been trying to pick up IIDX again, I tried it a little years ago and got to 7s with difficulty. This time I'm trying doubles and clearing most 8s and settling into 9s after a month. The wall's getting real though :P Timing is still a pain, I'm basically just B grade on challenging charts, As on easy stuff.

Last edited by Aliquantic on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:45 pm 

Definitely! IIDX is still my most played game next to Tekken at the moment, though I don't feel like I've been playing as much over the past few months. I actually play more arcade now than console, not because I'm going to the arcade more but since I just play games at home less than I do (and also I have other games I want to play other than IIDX, whereas our arcade pretty much only has IIDX and Tekken which interest me). I finally got to play 25 during a trip to Bangkok last week which was very fun; I really like the new theme. 24 is no slouch and I honestly can't think of many songs I dislike from either 24 or 25.

I started doubles last July or so. It's very hard and very tiring, and while I have been improving, it's felt super slow (I am 2nd dan in the arcades and on most of the console releases). Last autumn I reached 6th dan for singles in the arcade after a few months of reaching it on most of the console versions (I think mainly due to the fact that I learned how to adjust the settings to compensate for the laggy monitor at our arcade). However since then my progress in singles has been very slow (though I finally cleared my first 10s) since I have been focusing more on doubles. Actually I'm ready to give doubles a short break and concentrate on singles... my goal is to reach 7th dan before returning to challenge doubles. I just hope I don't fall back in doubles since it's just been so hard to learn how to play (but then I guess singles was back when I started IIDX way back when!)

Also on a somewhat related note got into Guitarfreaks and Pop'n last year as well, though I barely play them compared to IIDX. Hope to play them more this year.

三十六計走為上策

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7