Plugging my graphic novels on comixology..

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MJR

Plugging my graphic novels on comixology..

Post by MJR »

I've been in these forums for a while, but dont post often, so hopefully admins suffer me for plugging my forthcoming comic book.. at least I try not to make this a habit.

I'm starting this week to work on D'Moleyk, which is an apocalyptic fable set on Helsinki, Finland. I've been wanting to do this for 17 years, but never really got around to it due to other commitments. To do it now, I'm moving to Prague for a month to seclude myself in a residence where I am going to fully concentrate on making this.

If you feel like following its making, I've got facebook and twitter pages for it, and the comic itself can eventually be found on its home page.

Comic itself will look like this:
That is all, thanks for reading.
Last edited by MJR on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rancor

Re: Plugging my forthcoming graphic novel..

Post by rancor »

Looks / sounds awesome - I'll be sure to Czech it out!

I had a lot of questions, but I guess it's best to just wait and see. :wink:
njiska

Post by njiska »

I take one look at that image and all I see is a depressing version of The Family Circus.

Seriously though, I'm sure we'll all check it out.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I'm aware of your Amiga stuff but do you have any other comic works besides this one picture? - just to give us a taster?

I hope a month is going to be enough!
Last edited by Sly Cherry Chunks on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
MJR

Post by MJR »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:I'm aware of you Amiga stuff but do you have any other comic works besides this one picture? - just to give us a taster?

I hope a month is going to be enough!
Thanks, I did some test pages, it takes me 1-2 hours to come up with a reasonable looking page.. sure it wont look very polished but no one I showed them to complained.

I have made lots of comics, but unfortunately they're all in finnish.

here's a link to my previous comic anyway: http://www.lopunpera.fi/

Perhaps more relevant is my blog which is in english: http://mrinne.blogspot.fi/ ..lots of drawings there, and many b&w pics there are much closer to the style of this comic.

D'Moleyk has no dialogue or text at all, so anyone can read it :)
KAI

Post by KAI »

Apocalyptic stories are always interesting, good luck on that.
Like your style, I'll be looking forward to it.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Yeah, I'm confident that this is going to be awesome now. Do you colour yourself? I'm liking the watercolours!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
MJR

Post by MJR »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Yeah, I'm confident that this is going to be awesome now. Do you colour yourself? I'm liking the watercolours!
I do colour my comics myself, but D'Moleyk will be black & white, due to lack of time. But I will try to make it as real nice black & white and try to create lots of mood with shadows.. lets hope, at least you can do quite a bit with real brush!

Dont forget to join the twitter/facebook page if you want to keep yourself updated, and many thanks :)
MJR

Post by MJR »

THREAD NECROMANCY!

D'Moleyk is finally available for international preorders! It will be in full color(surprise!) and although it is "silent" comic, whatever text there is will be printed both in finnish and english. All the preordered copies will be signed by yours truly! 128 pages and 25€ + postage, its dirt cheap.

Preorder here:

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Did you model that train station on the Haupbahnhof in Leipzig; it's very reminiscent of it.

I'll have a look at your comic and see what it's all about. I'm happy to support artists working on things - keep it up.

Edit: have you got any links to page samples? I am interested in your style of art.
More Bromances = safer people
MJR

Post by MJR »

MintyTheCat wrote:Did you model that train station on the Haupbahnhof in Leipzig; it's very reminiscent of it.

I'll have a look at your comic and see what it's all about. I'm happy to support artists working on things - keep it up.

Edit: have you got any links to page samples? I am interested in your style of art.
Thanks :) It is based on Helsinki station, as this story is happening on helsinki. I actually went to great pains to model all locations as realistically as possible, I went to shoot photos of many places around the city, including those that are not permitted for public :)

I am happy to share some samples, but please be aware that I am currently in process of recoloring it; only the first sample is recolored, rest are original, near black&white pages.

https://i.imgur.com/gZ2pxbY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7GMh13w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MRH36VO.jpg
MJR

Post by MJR »

The book is now in print, and will be out in few weeks! You can still preorder it here

Here are some sample pages from this new recolored edition:

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Back when I showed the beginning of Half-Life 2 to my cousin, he found "City 17" most reminiscent of Helsinki, for what it's worth. Then again, ever since he kept comparing Peter Jackson's Rivendell to Świeradów-Zdrój (spa town architecture, in a nutshell), I'd grown to appreciate his keen eye for such similiarities.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

MJR

Post by MJR »

This took a *very long* time, but you can now get this as digital download from Comixology. It can be read even from smart phone quite easily, using the Comixology app.

Here is the direct link, if anyone still wants to check it out:

https://bit.ly/39tadQF
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

MJR wrote:This took a *very long* time, but you can now get this as digital download from Comixology. It can be read even from smart phone quite easily, using the Comixology app.

For MJR,

Is this graphic novel going to listed on the Inky Pen and/or Izneo digital comic apps as well? They're both available for the Switch gaming platform and it's quite nice to read digital comics & graphic novels on it indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MJR

Post by MJR »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
MJR wrote:This took a *very long* time, but you can now get this as digital download from Comixology. It can be read even from smart phone quite easily, using the Comixology app.

For MJR,

Is this graphic novel going to listed on the Inky Pen and/or Izneo digital comic apps as well? They're both available for the Switch gaming platform and it's quite nice to read digital comics & graphic novels on it indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I wasn't even aware of those platforms. But I think I should find about those. If there is a way to submit them there through my own company, without having to resort to external publisher, I will surely try to find a way to do so. Thanks very much for your suggestion and nice to see you back on the forum again :)
MJR

Re: Plugging my graphic novels on comixology..

Post by MJR »

Far End Chronicles vol.1 has now been released on Comixology, it's my first graphic novel from 2004, and is based on same world and characters as our game demo. It's quite family friendly, but I tried to make it so that adults can read it too. Vol.2 and Vol.3 are submitted already, and should appear soon.

https://bit.ly/3paCuA1

Now I have been spamming about this before in this forum, many times, but I felt that rather resurrecting the old threads and spamming the off topic with my shameless plugs, I felt that it's better to rename and use this thread exclusively for all my comixology links.
MJR

Post by MJR »

My second graphic novel from 2007-2008; Far End Chronicles vol.2 is now available on Comixology. Vol.3 is coming up.

https://bit.ly/3qEb9b6

BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh, nice. I signed up there recently, for a few manga chapters - was very happy with the service, wondered when I might use it again. Picked up a copy, will enjoy it this weekend! Always been drawn to the post-apocalyptic visions of fellow arcade fans. We know desperate odds. :mrgreen:
MJR

Post by MJR »

BIL wrote:

Oh, nice. I signed up there recently, for a few manga chapters - was very happy with the service, wondered when I might use it again. Picked up a copy, will enjoy it this weekend! Always been drawn to the post-apocalyptic visions of fellow arcade fans. We know desperate odds. :mrgreen:
Thanks man :) There is very little arcadey in the story I'm afraid, unless you count some very alien lifeforms that might be somewhat inspired by some Irem shmups :D But I hope it still makes worthwhile reading. If you want to, please share your thougths about the book here, once you've read - I get very little feedback for my comics and love to hear comments.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Update:

Amazon killed off Comixology, well not really, but they gimped it, and my Comixology authored-novels vanished as they were not kindle compatible.

I have now started to reauthor them as Kindle compatible versions. So, D'Moleyk is available again if some of you missed it and still want to check it out.

Buy it for under 10 euros / dollars or read it for free if you have Kindle Unlimited. I will use the royalties to buy myself a cup of coffee.

Here is a trailer showing how the comic looks like, if you read it on your phone using guided view.

Get it from here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCSS8QK6/ref=sr_1_1?

I am also going to put rest of my stuff there (Far End Chronicles), and finally the Journeys into game industry novel as well.
MJR

Post by MJR »

My all ages fantasy comic series (Far End) is available again in english, this time also as paperback print! Yes, it's on print-on-demand, but I tried to keep the prices low. I prefer to have as many people as possible to get these, rather than make any money.

I worked very hard on these three books, (often as a side job / on evenings/weekends) while working or freelancing in the game industry, and with detailed artwork like these, it was a hell to go through. For this reason, I will personally make sure that these will always be available on some form or another.

So, read them for free on your electronic device if you have kindle unlimited, or buy a copy as ebook or paperback as a present for your kids.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCX93174?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I am such a shameless procrastinator :shock: Sorry MJR, never did get back to you on D'Moleyk; back at first reading I was a bit shellshocked (wolfed the whole thing down in an hour or so before bed, a lot of no-holds-barred apocalypse in not much time! another terrible habit of mine, the archetypal all/nothing binger). Your art is so compelling, I'd have been fine with it driving a standard-issue post-collapse survival tale; so getting something entirely different was doubly welcome.
brief, ancient impressions
Funereal, in a word. I dug the overarching cyclical, procedural motif; oddly tranquilising, despite the innate existential horror and ongoing brutality amongst the populace. That's death in a nutshell, I suppose; as inevitable as it is devastating. Mole dude being such an endearing little presence became part of that effect. On one hand, he's a harbinger of humanity's "retirement;" on the other, he has about as much personal responsibility for our fate as we did the dinosaurs'.

The "Day Of The Lords" reference was well-earned; definitely an appropriately chilly air evoking Unknown Pleasures and my personal favourite, the revenant quasi-third JD LP Movement. (immediately went and looked up Sentenced's "Funeral Spring" after, too; you listen to some good stuff!)

I loved the post-script, particularly your leaving the extraterrestrials' motives up to the reader to decode, and resolved to re-read it more carefully...
...but then I spotted a dreaded Shiny Thing and wandered off. :oops: :mrgreen: Will revisit this week, was happy to see my copy's still online despite Amazon's usual rubbish, not that I wouldn't have just gotten another!
Last edited by BIL on Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Thanks very much, BIL! Nothing makes me happier than reader feedback, especially after toiling on it for many lonely years, dreading that nothing makes sense and no one cares. The feedback I usually get from my friends is in a line of ”I liked it, do some more”.. but I dont think I could ever pull off anything as heavy as this again.

As much as I like to think that I would only do stories that would appeal to myself, they would be useless if no one else enjoyed them. So thanks!

Next up for translation are my game industry comics..
MJR

Post by MJR »

The first chapter of my game industry comic is now finally available for purchase in english language, both as print or as e-book. Get one for your friends / colleagues / enemies, or read for free if you have kindle unlimited. Just don't let your kids read it, they may get amused and we can't have that, can we??
This was also the chapter that was adapted into tv series by YLE in 2016.
2nd chapter will have english translations soon on the blog.

https://www.amazon.com/Journeys-into-ga ... B0CDNKPMBV

MJR

Post by MJR »

New translated episode of my game industry comic is now published. This second chapter follows our hapless protagonists in the mid-nineties UK. Drawn originally back in 2009, though largely fictional, it is inspired by my own experiences when I lived in London back in 1996.

The first episode talks about arcade games, how they used to rule the game industry, how emergence of 3D-graphics changed the industry and artist roles forever, and how to NOT behave in a job interview. Next episode is scheduled to publish next Sunday, 20.8.

https://gameindustrycomic.game.blog/202 ... ges-36-38/