Brutal DOOM is good!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Edmond Dantes

Re: Brutal DOOM is good!

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Calling one game "exploration based" and then calling another, well, whatever you did in that blog post, really isn't showing me a difference in their respective types. Rather I believe you have a disagreement with the degree of apparent determinism in the design.
Just saying, I get the feeling you were responding more to Kotaku than to my blog post.
As an aside, it is downright hilarious the Kotaku writer doesn't note the rather distressing influence the "hit the random walls" aspect the original Zelda had across the industry, or at least how distressing that aspect of the gameplay can be. Case in point that's back on the original thread topic: Who can seriously say their fondest moments in DOOM were wandering through cleared levels, pressing the "use" key on random walls to try to find more secrets?)
(Just saying, most secrets in Doom can't be found by spacebar-ing random walls)

But see, the thing about the way the original Zelda worked was that it added a sense of wonder to the game, and made you feel like the game always had something else you hadn't discovered. That should be the joy of exploration-oriented games, to make you feel like they never end, that there's always something you haven't seen... or at least, to do so until you beat the final boss and/or get 100% completion.

I felt like Soulblazer, Crusader of Centy and Secret of Mana, despite technically being more linear than most Zelda games, actually achieved this. Secret of Mana has you spending a long time in the kingdom of Pandora, until you've seen so much of it that you've practically seen everything it has to offer. But when the narrative finally reaches the point where Pandora is played out, BAM, you get cannon travelled to... a wild, untamed forest that seems to have no safe areas whatsoever. It really does give you a sort of "fish leaving the water for the first time" feeling. A feeling I almost never get with Zelda these days.

Although as I said, the thing that hurt Zelda most for me was all the damn gimmicks. I did NOT care for having to reverse the three-day cycle (which entailed re-doing all the subquests), I did NOT care for having to make sure it was the right season just so an arbitrary hunk of grass wouldn't be in my way, and I probably would not have cared for having to sail a damn boat. These things aren't fun--they're annoying as fuck. Might as well make a game that forces me to stop playing it in order to watch an episode of Care Bears every ten minutes.
At its core, the Legend of Zelda franchise is not a From Software franchise.
Ahh, King's Field. THERE'S a good game! (and unsurprisingly, a game most reviewers panned)
Question of the moment: Are the Okami games also terrible?
Never played them. Wasn't aware there was more than one actually.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I never liked vanilla Doom classic. I only really like Brutal Doom and Doom 3. Modernized just enough for me to get into. I used the Doom II WAD. But when I moved the folder one day, it messed up the mod. I can't load up my data even though it's there. So I just haven't played it since. Was pretty far too. I think I was at a stage called Nirvana.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Question of the moment: Are the Okami games also terrible? If not, what are they doing fundamentally differently than the Zelda games - or is it actually just a matter of degree of difference in most respects?
Okami is great. I only played the PS2 version, but I really like the idea of the HD PS3 remake with Move support.

Okami has better action than Zelda, and not quite as much platforming.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I do appreciate the good work to keep our machines of death in respectable order, BIL!
If we had custom titles here in glorious system11 republic, mine would say BRUTAL ARMOURER Image
XoPachi wrote:So I just haven't played it since. Was pretty far too. I think I was at a stage called Nirvana.
Type IDCLEV + map number, get back in the game and destroy the final weapon "Giant Baphomet Head!" Nirvana is map 21.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Edmond Dantes wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:Calling one game "exploration based" and then calling another, well, whatever you did in that blog post, really isn't showing me a difference in their respective types. Rather I believe you have a disagreement with the degree of apparent determinism in the design.
Just saying, I get the feeling you were responding more to Kotaku than to my blog post.
Yes, that's fair to say. However you should note that I looked at your blog post and didn't see anything that was very durable for commenting on. You seem to want a number of things which may actually be very difficult to implement all at once, if not downright contradictory things at once ("challenge" ahh our favorite topic - to be quite honest I don't mind breezing through a game if the journey and exploration captivate me).
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Actually, "wanting the journey to captivate me" is exactly what I want too. That's why I largely find myself returning to Secret of Mana or Soul Blazer (or even the "Zelda Rip-off" Crusader of Centy) more than Zelda itself.

Zelda just does too good a job choreographing itself really. You're in a dungeon and there's a lot of conspicuously-placed targets over unjumpable gaps? Yeah, three guesses what item you're about to get. In Mana or Soul Blazer its fresh and you don't know what the world is gonna throw at you, so everything you get genuinely is thrilling.

And then there's all the animal combinations in Crusader of Centy. Fucking love those things.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Fair enough. I've yet to check out most of these, although Soul Blazer felt rather, er, lacking in spirit.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Ya mean lacking in soul? ;)

Getting back to the original topic... Okay, I'm split. I said I was gonna do a Let's Play of Heretic II, but now I kinda wanna do a Let's Play of Rainbow Six (in part because I loved Spoony's LP of SWAT 4 and wanted to do something similar, although I hope I never have to do a music montage)...

Maybe I'll do both...
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Don't do Let's Plays, those fascists at Retsupurae will enforce the COMMUNITY STANDARDS on your ass. Let's call it a "let's try to get onto the rooftops of Silverdale" or whatever the place is called, instead :D

It would be great if somebody could upgrade Heretic/Hexen games along the lines of Brutal DOOM - and get rid of the uninspired mapping in later installments while they were at it (the later chapters of Heretic II are big offenders here). I think the game should just end about the time you get out of the canyons, or whatever happens before you visit the bug queen.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sgt Mark IV has mentioned possible BHeretic and BHexen mods in passing, but I hope he keeps refining BDOOM a bit longer. Heretic's fruity Elven magicks never made me scream bloody gore like DOOM's brain-splattering ballistics, and Hexen... I can't recall its combat much at all, actually. Lots of melee stuff, never this engine's strong suit even in BDOOM. Then again, I always played as the mightily swinging barbarian BEEFCAKES McPOWERTOP, so I was probably all up in monster grill more than usual.

BDOOM could stop now and I'd have no complaints, but there are some obvious finishing touches like a full set of monster-on-monster fatalities and alternate fire for the handful of weapons that lack it. A simple "follow me" / "stay here" toggle for friendly marines would be great too. I wonder why I don't propose such things directly via a mod forum, then I remember I'm a right lazy bugger and it's kind of fun just observing anyway! Just keep yer mitts offa my 017 MG, y'hear? o_o

~BULLER MAN's BDOOM travel diary so far

use of excessive force while apprehending a perp, E2M3 "Refinery" (RIP LOUIE-KUN)

arson fun with Archie-kun~ Map 02 "Underhalls"

BDOOM barrels aint nothin ta fuck wit, E4M9 "Fear"

OH NOEZ, PLS DUN SLAP MEH BARON-SAMA wait, I just remembered I'm packing...

*BOOM* ZE ULTIME VG SHOTGUN! E3M3 "Pandemonium"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:Heretic's fruity Elven magicks never made me scream bloody gore like DOOM's brain-splattering ballistics, and Hexen... I can't recall its combat much at all, actually. Lots of melee stuff, never this engine's strong suit even in BDOOM.
All the more reason to add it in! ;3

lol at "apprehending a perp." Shades of impse here.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

This morning I was reading this article from the very first (January 1994) issue of Game Developer magazine about Id Software.

I thought this was interesting and a bit relevant to the topic of DOOM Mods:
One aspect of Wolfenstein the Id designers didn't plan for was the cottage industry of hackers who rose to the challenge of hacking Id's code. Maybe it was Wolfenstein's modem based roots that drove people to hack map editors, bitmap editors, and sometimes entire modified games using the PD 10 level teaser file. Apogee contended that all these mutations of the game hurt sales because people had in essence much more than 10 free levels at their disposal for free.

Id designers take a different view; they don't mind and feel that people have the right to make whatever use of the game that makes them happy. They are planning the same thing with Doom and will even release some of the technical specifications. But this time, the game will run a checksum to verify that it hasn't been altered. If it has been altered, it will display a message that says the version being played is not the original and where to get the original.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

To anyone having trouble applying BIL's chaingun fix (possibly only me), instead of replacing v18's chaingun file with v17's, just replace the text within the file. Kind of obvious, but it took me a few days to figure. Now to suss out why (q)ZDL doesn't work under win7... (I'd love to play vanilla custom mapsets with bdoom active :cry:)
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just in case, were you deleting the "MINIGUN" file, closing the v018 pk3 archive, then re-opening it and inserting the 017 version? I've noticed it sometimes won't work if you just paste in the 017 MG without deleting the 018 one first.

Glad you figured out a workaround, in any case! A real POS that 018 MG...
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Yeah, I'd deleted the v18 one and then pasted the v17 version. Kept giving me errors about duplicate files. Apparently inserting the file for some reason prompted the system to generate new versions of the sprite files referred to within. Couldn't say why.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Hey BIL (or whoever),

Are the custom BDoom difficulties worth checking out (Man & a Half, Brutal, Black Metal)? Till now I've only played on Ultraviolence, but I've been wondering.

In other news, finished eps 1-3 of Doom 1. Inferno is def my least favorite, due to teh somewhat confusing layouts. Can't wait to start on Doom 2 with all the new enemies. :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

I think Inferno may be my favourite episode of the first game, since once you know a good route its levels are actually very short, but you still have the option of wading through busting heads if you want to. And there are way more of the stronger monsters than the first two eps. But yeah - Slough of Despair, The Unholy Cathedral, Mt Erebus and Limbo can definitely become tedious when you're new to them, compared to E1 and E2's relatively straightforward stages.
Moniker wrote:Hey BIL (or whoever),

Are the custom BDoom difficulties worth checking out (Man & a Half, Brutal, Black Metal)? Till now I've only played on Ultraviolence, but I've been wondering.
Yes and no. They're not really "new" per se - more a way of partitioning the old vanilla NIGHTMARE! difficulty's attributes. As the game warns when you try to select them, M&H = 50% greater damage from enemies, Brutal = much faster enemies, and Black Metal = both. So BM is pretty much vanilla nightmare sans respawning.*

I just play on BM all the time. I find vanilla NM really tedious, since the respawning means you're rarely doing anything but speedrunning (cleared DOOM and II just for completism, didn't enjoy it). BM actually lets you savour the action instead of becoming a vehicular combat game, and of course, BDOOM enemies are inherently much deadlier than their VDOOM originals, so the lack of respawn is balanced out.

*You can actually enable respawning via the Gameplay Options, but it'll be semi-broken - monsters will respawn haphazardly without any clear pattern. I actually really like this, it can be very tense not knowing when something's going to pop back up, especially in The Shores Of Hell's circuitous, tightly winding levels. At the same time, the vast majority of stuff will stay dead, so combat never feels pointless.
BIL

Post by BIL »

How did I not notice until now that you can stash away a snatched Lost Soul for later use, like a handy incendiary grenade? :lol: It'll happily occupy the Fists slot until you find a zombie to throw it at / chuck it at a wall / release it to the wild red yonder, even if you leave the current stage.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

For those who care: Resolved the qzdl on Win7 dilemma. Make sure there are no spaces in your doom command directory (e.g., C:\Games\Doom Stuff = BAD; C:\Games\Doom = GOOD), and make bdoom your external file, gzdoom your engine, and whatever vanilla mod your IWAD.

Now I can play Torture & Torment w/ bdoom enhancements. :D

Also, Thy Flesh Consumed (D:1, E:4) is insane. Gives me the sweats just playing it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Glad you figured it out, I'm totally useless at advising on stuff like that. :smile: I think I once ran Scythe via BDOOM, but I never really looked into running PWADs as I knew my PC could never handle anything more demanding than The Ultimate DOOM/II/Final.

Short demo of E4M2 "Perfect Hatred" on Black Metal, with my usual additions of the Super Shotgun and Grenade Launcher. My favourite map of the whole I/II set. Distills the furious shooting and agile footwork that makes this game so good into a small, varied and monster-packed space.

Including DOOM II and The Ultimate DOOM, Thy Flesh Consumed is hands-down my favourite group of episodes. Certainly since BDOOM came along, anyway. Single-sessioning it on Black Metal reminds me of the SNK/Nazca Metal Slugs - you need to know the basic stage layouts, and develop good plans within them, but for good or ill there'll always be a bit of unexpected AI to contend with, keeping it from ever feeling static. There's a bit of DOOM II "why would I ever bother killing all these monsters instead of saving my ammo?" syndrome in E4M1 "Hell Beneath" and E4M9 "Fear," but it's more of a boobytrap in the former and the latter is the secret map, so it's got an excuse to be a bit nutty (it's also a fun as hell diversion into techbase land).

A handful of the maps (E4M2, E4M5 "They Will Repent," E4M6 "Against Thee Wickedly" and E4M7 "And Hell Followed") are also id's most satisfying architecturally. II's Duplos-in-a-sandbox "urban" maps have aged horribly. E4 gets back to the surreal deathchambers the engine is happiest with. It could've used the barest hint of backstory, but I'm happy making up my own. This happened in the ten seconds between E3M8 and Map 01!
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Hey, Bil - ever tried playing BDooM multiplayer? Trying to get some buddies into it, but they need the coop/dm/ctf/etc component, it seems. Booted up Zandronum, but no bdoom games available, so it's hard to tell whether it's worth organizing.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nope - actually haven't done much online multiplayer at all. Would have to spend some time figuring out WTF I was doing, haha.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL

Post by BIL »

And so, a voyage into discovery commenced. :lol: Managed to get Zandronum working on a local server I set up (named "SHUMPS TESTING" of course) with all the BDOOM bells n' whistles, but apparently the master server is down is that bad ROFL??? I am nubcaek @ online shit lmao :[

Well, would certainly be up for some co-op Black Metal if Shit Can Get Together. Otherwise will continue waiting in vain for BDOOM v019!
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

it'd make me happy if 19 fixed that chaingun. I've got zandro set up- a few buds have it as well. Might be fun to organize something.
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Yeah I was able to get in a few games of Bdoom deathmatch, coop, and wave-based coop the other day. Was pretty fun, especially deathmatch and coop. We'll have to make it a thing, for sure. (In the meantime, Left4Dead 2 is a pretty good substitute ;).)
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Been hearing a lot about this mod so I decided to try it out tonight.

HOLY FUCK! That carnage!

I've been missing out.
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Multiplayer fun-time can be had when? Sorry for letting the ball drop on that one.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sadly I'm still as clueless as ever about MP, but it'd warm my heart if you guys go at it sometime. ^_~

Man, that shot I took of the Baron's head fucking exploding beneath the SSG's full brunt. Image Sometimes I outdo myself! Makes me want to fire up BDOOM right the fuck nao.

Things I've noticed in v019, which was released since my last post:

-hitzone detection on zombies + Imps vastly improved. I was surprised to read in the changelog that dismemberings/CRUELTY BONER setups were previously random. They aren't any more, shotgun blast to the knees works a treat.

-Cacos and Barons now have CB setups. Cacos are triggered by delivering the final blow off-center. Beat down the incapacitated gore pinata not once but twice for sweet sweet +5HP! Barons I'm not sure of, mostly because I always go for that godly SSG instant decap, but lord is it satisfying.

PROTIP: wait until Baron starts his double-armed fire barrage before pulling the trigger. Intentionally or not it seems to be a critical hit opening. Sodamngood.

-Complementing the quick kick: Duke Nukem 3D-esque last ditch sidearm attacks from crippled riflemen and shotgunners. Charity bonus is now also self-preservation bonus!

-DOOM II monsters: Hell Knights are no longer half-barons. Partially cosmetic (different death animations and a goofy "alert" animation too), but they also home in on the player a lot faster. Mancubi are truly intimidating, capable of turning any enclosed area into an ocean of flames. Revenants have a really nasty way of bisecting and remaining fully operational, I think if drilled with the minigun.

-Weapons: chainsaw no longer bugged (in v018 it'd cause damage whenever used -_-). Now you get +1HP per kill. Plasma rifle alt fire is now a flamethrower that's awkward to use and devours ammo but is devastating if handled right (can take down a Baron in seconds). Minigun's regular fire is now much more controllable. DOOM II's burning barrels can now be kicked over to create a short-lived but lethal flame hazard. Fists can combo into a quick kick with the right timing. Right hand can be "charged" but to what effect I don't know.

-BUGS: Noticed a really nasty new one, unfortunately. Booting a crippled zombie's head off will occasionally insta-gib you. Disconcerting to say the least, for now I just shoot the fuckers.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:Man, that shot I took of the Baron's head fucking exploding beneath the SSG's full brunt.
I see DOOMGUY got his warface on for that shot, too. Was that the last of a string of attacks with the fire button held down? I think that's the only way to trigger that in vanilla DOOM.