Brutal DOOM is good!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Brutal DOOM is good!

Post by BIL »

"HERES ONE FOR YOUR MOTHER" said General Norman "BULLER MAN" Blajowsky, shoving his muscly middle finger at Imp's (who could not run away because BULLER MAN had blown away both of his feet and was now pointing his gun at him) screaming face. "OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" mumbled Imp but it was far too late for now, because everybody knew Imp had viscously killed BULLER MAN's best friend Major Louie "BIGTYME" Dolcepueblo in a cold blooded battle on Marsbase and nothing was going to stop this much-needed beatdown couretesy of BULLER MAN's suped-up plasma rifle. "BOOOOOOOM" went BULLER MAN's massive super shot gun like a big metal cannon. "BOOOOOM" went the hard walls but it was only an echo as guts sprayed massively. As BULLER MAN kicked Imp's head incredibly hard like a meaty baseball flying into the distant he wondered Is there a hell for zombies Louie?! and just prayed Imp was now in it!!! Suddenly BULLER MAN said "SON OF A BITCH" because HELL KILLER was about to attack... but first he was gonna RIP AND TEAR PINKIES GUTS!!! ~A True Story Adapted For HTML By BIL © 2012 steal it and ill sue

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!!!

Brutal DOOM is a mod for the DOOM source port GZDOOM, and it is frickin awesome. It's been around a few years but it was news to me and several other posters in the venerable "What [not shmup] game are you playing now?" thread, so I thought I'd give it a shout here. Besides jacking up the gore and sense of sheer destructive power to unspeakable levels, it also makes several alterations to weapons, physics and enemy behaviour resulting in more robust action and a more extreme vintage DOOM experience. If you ever wanted a Baron to rip a zombie's head off and hurl it into a stack of exploding barrels, this mod will perform!

Mod download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom
GZDOOM wiki link: http://zdoom.org/wiki/GZDoom
Not linked here but required: WADfiles for the game you want to play (DOOM, DOOM II or Final DOOM)
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mesh control

Re: Brutal DOOM is good!

Post by mesh control »

FUCKING BACKED.
lol
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

HARD.
lol
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Headshot is passe, gutshot it is.

By the by, somebody is making a mod for DOOM engines using the TekWar sprites, for that "Lethal Enforcers / Operation Wolf 3" feel. But I don't think you can Brutalize photographic sprites like the DOOM sprites.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

brutal doom is really annoying and i wish it was its own game

it's still a million times better than wrack though
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Don't know what you mean - Wrack is a character skin from Quake III Arena. Also Brutal DOOM is awesome. Is playing DOOM II with Brutal DOOM enemies worth it so you can pick up Mancubus weapons? Eh, I grant that it's still DOOM II.

Since we're all here, I should point out that zDOOM 1.60 has been bugfixed up to 1.61, so get it. Especially if you've been using 1.50 for all this time. Nothing groundbreaking for 99% of casual users most likely, but the fixes and new features certainly won't hurt forward compatibility.

The intro of this ww-terror mod - or "Terrorists (Police Brutality)," to be more accurate, is pretty great so far. William S. Sessions has a new gig with the UN (black choppers ahoy?) and issues you a directive. As John SomeGuyWithAPistol, your counter-terrorism group is reactivated because "Terrorists" have "taken complete control of a straw hut somewhere in Lithuania," and have demanded that all school textbooks be replaced with their Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction, or else they will release something called Island Peril 2 on the world. Needless to say, I got your back, John SomeGuyWithAPistol.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

that's probably where he got the name from, too. long story short, wrack is a bad game made by a bad person when neither of these things should be so.

btw best new feature in zdoom: voxels
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Despatche wrote:brutal doom is really annoying
huh whatever do you mean despatche

please elaborate
Ed Oscuro wrote:Is playing DOOM II with Brutal DOOM enemies worth it so you can pick up Mancubus weapons? Eh, I grant that it's still DOOM II.
It's still good times (the monstrous SSG is the real attraction) but yeah... it's DOOM II. Eventually it degenerates into bloated, rambling levels that you're usually better off not exploring. Final DOOM is a better way to get DOOM II monsters with OG DOOM's tighter level designs. I like playing Ultimate DOOM with DOOM II's WAD in the -file slot so I can use the SSG in good levels and make things explode when I shoot them at point-blank.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

It's an alright mod, the problem I have with it is that it's way too popular. It makes people overlook other mods, that's why I say fuck this mod for that reason alone.

What I mean by this is that all attention is directed towards a gore mod while nobody gives a shit about the ambitious stuff that comes out on same forums (zdoom forums > projects).
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fair enough. :lol: Have to admit I was happy with vanilla WADs via ZDOOM, so I've never gotten into mods, but goddamnit I've wanted to gib Cacos since I was twelve.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Ok so someone explain this to me.

HOW the FUCK do I remember where the secrets are in Doom??? But I can't remember what I had for dinner last week?
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

BIL wrote:Have to admit I was happy with vanilla WADs via ZDOOM..
I'm in the same boat. Playing through UD, D2, TNT, and thus far 1/2 through Plutonia using ZDoom is good enough for the most part. The ones I like are the TCs such as absolutions Doom64, the PSX Doom TC, and the Wolf3D TC. I got Brutal Doom after seeing some footage. It's alright but mostly I sought it out after seeing a clip running the metal doom music wads, now those are not bad.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

man I love DooM and Quake - just hope I don't get motion sickness :(
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Raytrace wrote:man I love DooM and Quake - just hope I don't get motion sickness :(
Yeah I was hoping the bobbing could be disabled in zdoom but I couldn't find the option?
drauch

Post by drauch »

shmuppyLove wrote:Ok so someone explain this to me.

HOW the FUCK do I remember where the secrets are in Doom??? But I can't remember what I had for dinner last week?
Because Doom is more important than food.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

shmuppyLove wrote:HOW the FUCK do I remember where the secrets are in Doom??? But I can't remember what I had for dinner last week?
You've probably got a ton of the Original Zelda stuck in your head too if you played it in the day, and could make a reasonable facsimile of the thing if you were inclined. "Okay one of the screens toward the top of the map has the falling rocks shit, and there's that infinite loop crap to the right of that.."

Yeah, your brain prunes things that aren't critical. You don't "learn" anything from food you've already shoved in your mouth before; you remember restaurants, the first times you try something, unusual events, etc. A nonexceptional evening meal is forgotten almost as soon as it's eaten.

It's kind of like interactions with people. The first few times you meet someone is what you remember the most, and you kind of "calibrate" over a month or two. Then after that, you forget tons and tons of your interactions with that person. The things you remember from random people are probably far more asinine than the most asinine thing you can remember from a life partner; this helps contribute to the "people I don't know suck" meme in our culture.

Also the "games/kids these days suck" meme.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I thought the maze portion was in the southwest of the map of Zelda?

Update on "Police Brutality (Weasel Presents: Terrorists!) - Beta #5.5" (found here):

It's not just an enemies / weapons replacement. It is pretty rough on the higher difficulties; I have double ammo turned on because I kept running out of ammo even in the first room of E1M1! However, the two secondary attacks are worth it.

Notably there is also a weapon progression system. It will take thousands of enemy kills to upgrade all of the weapons, however. Best things are the taser attacks, and the upgraded grenade (although it is pretty hilarious that your top-tier is something that could be made by anybody, and it is very effective at insta-killing you if you throw it just too close to your own position).

Finally, special items are now people, too. Be sure you don't gun them down, but "use" them instead (seems buggy on some of the bums however). There's a woman in a blue dress (often drops a one-shot "IBEX upgrade package," which will upgrade the currently held weapon once or replenish its ammo), a guy in a suit (drops the computer map, which seemed to toggle on the maximum detail level map cheat for the remainder of the episode - bug maybe), and a Bum, whose sign has all kinds of hilarious sayings ("what is svn") and makes the most amusing noises when freed. The drop "cheap booze" which is basically your soulsphere powerup.

Lots of other little things have changed, too, even the text on entering / exiting noclip mode.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I thought the maze portion was in the southwest of the map of Zelda?
There's two of them! Turn in your Zelda card.

This is the one where you go down-down-up or something to find the dungeon.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Fuck Zelda anyway. I'm probably more of a Nazo no Murasame-jo guy anyway. :mrgreen:

The second episode of DOOM is no good under the Wild Weasel Presents: TERRORISTS! (Police Brutality) mod, see here.

It's under development so maybe some glitches will be worked out. I don't think that the explosive replacement for the Lost Souls can be worked around though, and enemies are now almost all ranged fighters that are very fast-shooting and aggressive. Pitch-black levels will hurt you dramatically. To top it off, the best armor type will only give you 150 points of protection - and that can be chewed up in literally seconds.

When the mod clicks, it's great fun. The rest of the time, as it currently stands, it unfortunately forces collectathon-style health and armor hoarding and scavenging runs, and awkward, tedious repetitive cover-taking exercises, especially if you use a weapon that doesn't knock an enemy right down (i.e. all the regular weapons - the revolver, the UZI, and the AK47 type weapons all require multiple shots), and too much time spent on the reload key (especially with the Uzi).

The mod holds promise still. If they get some stuff tweaked it'll be great.
BIL

Post by BIL »

*** CRUELTY BONER AWARED ***

Found an interesting quirk in the lovably temperamental cruelty bonus, which is awared for smashing up zombies, imps and demons real purdy. And by "interesting" I mean this leet combo will get you the +5 armor variant every time!

1) carve up an imp with the minigun on spinup (so you can switch weapons immediately after)

2) do the chump a favour with both barrels of the SSG!

Shazam, +5 armor every time! What is this, DMC3?! Well, you can already surf around on enemies you've beaten up. Seriously, stomp on a crawling zombieman and zoom around the room. Do it now.

Consistency?! What could it mean?! I wonder what other mysteries the cruelty boner might yet hide! :o
drauch

Post by drauch »

Did Doomguy's face get replaced with xbl0x's? :wink:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Brutal Doom is a poor man's Serious Sam 3.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Serious Sam 3 is a gay man's Brutal DOOM. :cool:
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Serious Sam 3 is the shiniest Serious Sam. At release, the demo ran far worse on PCs than it had any right to.

The recent HD remakes, they're not too bad.

But gore > flower power models. Also, you can't put TekWar sprites in Serious Sam.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Since Doom predates the dawn of mouse & keyboard controls in first person shooter genre slightly... Well, maybe it was the game that triggered it when mods came along, moreover, I played Spectre Supreme on the Mac with a mouse, but those were digital controls really. Geograph Seal didn't use a mouse, did it?
Anyway, It's one of about two first person shooty games I fancy playing on a console, that other one being Urban Chaos: Riot Response. I gather the PSX port is most accomplished technically, but which version would you folks recommend? Inferior framerate in Final Doom sounds like a dealbreaker to me. The performance of Doom for the GBA was more of a problem than the game being ported over from Jaguar, green blood and all that. "Best portable Doom of its time" bagde won't cut it anymore. Super Monkey Ball Jr. it is not.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Playing DOOM on a console is an awful idea unless you're a DOOM archaeologist who likes looking at the hacked-up console versions of some maps, and the few exclusive levels; you can just get Chocolate DOOM instead if you want the feel of playing on a '90s system.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Pretty sure KBM controls were widely used back at the original DOOM's release - it always had mouse support and dedicated L / R strafing buttons, and John Romero swore by circle-strafing in deathmatching.

You can use a mouse in Wolf3D as well, but it's kind of useless since there's no sidestep buttons, just a strafe modifier for the turning ones.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The true question, I think, is whether or not the original mouse controls were substantially analogue, or just left, right, one speed. Then again, with computer games nothing is set in stone in this regard.
The GBA port does have strafe buttons for what it's worth and the d-pad is serviceable, but the game feels old for wrong reasons nonetheless.
Ed Oscuro wrote:Playing DOOM on a console is an awful idea unless you're a DOOM archaeologist who likes looking at the hacked-up console versions of some maps, and the few exclusive levels; you can just get Chocolate DOOM instead if you want the feel of playing on a '90s system.
Fair enough. Come to think of it, modded Xbox might be the way to go for those who don't feel like playing on a computer.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

DOOM and Wolf3D's were always fully analogue - you can get much finer turning control in the latter with a mouse than keys, but it's kind of a moot point since Wolf3D's engine is so primitive. I can't quite recall if there was a mouse sensitivity slider. DOOM had one from the beginning.