shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:33 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weightlifting/exercise thread
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:28 pm 

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:
Some of the weight machines hurt to use. I used the leg extension once. That machine sucks. Too painful.

BryanM is absolutely correct. In addition, open chain exercises are generally much more demanding on the joints anyway, and specifically leg extensions have recently been shown to, in layman's terms, utterly destroy your knees. It is a relic of the past, many accepted leg routines dropped it altogether now. There are much more effective *and* safer exercises you can replace it with, try 45 degree leg presses, lunge variations and of course squats.

BTW some folks mentioned that they are doing random machines and exercises in the gym. Do yourself a favor and switch to a smart, well-designed program. It makes a world of difference. There are a few tried & tested programs like Starting Strength mentioned above.

But here is a website that has become my favorite over the past years. AFAIK the author is an ordinary dude who likes lifting, no certification, credentials or anything. But, he has the superpower of being absolutely correct in every single thing he says (to the extent of my own knowledge and what I could verify through studies). Also his suggested routines and exercise programming are near identical to what I would suggest, and I like his mindset in general.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/

He has a book, I did not buy or read it. Read the articles on the website; follow the first link and then click on everything and read everything on even the basics of lifting, diet and weight loss. These are not "5 steps to get jacked in 30mins!" articles, they are wordy and long. Take your time, spare an evening, read everything. Start doing the beginner routine which should keep you busy for many months (and is probably quicker and MUCH MORE effective than what you currently do). Later with the intermediate program, there is enough material to get you through your first few years of lifting. It is a very fun read overall, the humor is also great, and the site has that tvtropes sinkhole vibe to it :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 am 

I'm glad this thread gained some traction again. Over on HFBoards it is basically my private journal.

Pull ups and squats today.

One of the things I love most about this program is you only do an exercise one day per week. By the time next week rolls around you're looking forward to doing those exercises again. Never in a rush to get them done, but really concentrating on very rep.

Marketing ploy or not, if you like bodyweight training Convict Conditioning is legit. It was hyped up greatly by people I have met in parks working out here in NY, but the hype is real.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:36 pm 

kane wrote:

Read through this a bit. Solid advice throughout but really nothing you haven't heard before if you've been searching for this kind of stuff. I pretty much do the low/high/low split he's talking about whenever I can, and when I can't do it (sometimes the gym is too crowded and I can't afford to wait 20-30 mins to get the squat rack on Friday) I just work on something else I did earlier in the week or work on something I'm going to start with next week.

As someone who was a beginner for awhile (and spent countless hours reading stuff like this instead of working out), I feel like a lot of getting started can be summarized in three main points:

- Stick to barbells and dumbbells for all but the most isolated of exercises (which you shouldn't be doing as a beginner anyways)
- Focus on form and building strength through higher reps (don't train for max lifts) (I still don't train for max lifts)
- Do as many compound exercises utilizing your core as you can

Like the guy even said in your link, you know your body better than anyone and in a short amount of time will probably become more perceptive to how your body reacts to lifting weights than you ever thought you'd be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:20 pm 

2 plate squat! Although I'd much prefer to do 90kg more solidly at this point in time.

I need to fix my diet though... And sleeping pattern. It's beginning to hit me pretty hard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:28 pm 

quash wrote:
kane wrote:

Read through this a bit. Solid advice throughout but really nothing you haven't heard before if you've been searching for this kind of stuff.

Yeah, it's better suited to those who are just beginning to take this seriously, or making the mistake of taking advice from the well-intentioned but clueless folks over at bodybuilding forums :) Seriously with this thread alone, shmups forum probably already has more accurate information :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:59 pm 

kane wrote:
Seriously with this thread alone, shmups forum probably already has more accurate information :)

Haha. I don't do to those forums, is it that bad?

And how did we all wind up here? Do you have a background in this stuff Kane, or just interested in it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:51 am 

Nothing to see here.

Last edited by kane on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:17 pm 

Week 12 down

Monday

Push Ups - Level 2 Inclines +6 - 3 reps shy of hitting numbers.

Leg Raises - Level 3 Flat bent knee raises +13 - Hit numbers, 2 more weeks.

Wednesday

Pull Ups - Level 2 Hori PU +7

Squats - Level 4 Half Squats - Hit Numbers - Even did half a set of full squats, 2 more weeks.

Friday

Bridges - Level 3 - Angled Bridges - 3 sets of 8 - Significantly larger difficulty jump than level 1 to 2. Might be working on these through the summer.

Hand Stand Push Ups - Level 2 Crow stands - 33 seconds - Last Friday I hit 10 seconds, Tuesday was 20, so why the hell not?

Resting all weekend and not doing anything extra this week.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:33 pm 

Neck is still messed up, its a doozy.

I can still run however and finally started jogging/breathless walking again for the first time since October. Also started a juice fast on Monday, I've done a few of these before, and I've found they work really well provided you stick with eating well afterwards. (I didn't). Last time I lost about a pound a day and it really reset my palette and really improved my sleep. I know it's a controversial thing and not for everybody, I don't want to start a debate about it, but the whole reboot with joe thing has worked for me in the past.

Once I figure out my neck, I can go back to weights, that's the major missing component for me as I've always noticed that's when I start to really drop weight and actually look decent in the mirror.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:37 pm 

Update, down 5lbs in 2 days... wow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:03 pm 

Glad to hear you're making some progress. Good luck with the fast (I did one a few years back) and watch that diet!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:42 pm 

Week 13 down

Monday

Push Ups - Level 2 Inclines - Finally hit numbers after 10 weeks. 2 more weeks here cause I worked hard as fuck to get here.

Leg Raises - Level 3 Flat bent knee raises - Hit numbers, 1 - 2 more weeks.

Wednesday

Pull Ups - Level 2 Hori PU +3 - My first day 12 weeks ago I did 23 total. This week I did 70. I'm 20 shy and will get there by summer's end.

Squats - Level 4 Half Squats - Hit Numbers - Even did half a set of full squats, 1 more week.

Friday

Bridges - Level 3 - Angled Bridges +2 - These were a bit easier than last week. Could have done 1 or 2 more. Still will be doing them through the summer.

Hand Stand Push Ups - Level 2 Crow stands - Couldn't seem to get these right today. I kept at it for 40 minutes and finally got one. 35 seconds.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:26 pm 

Added running every other day to my current diet regime, 2nd weekly weigh in this morning... 188lbs, 7lbs in 7 days. Jeans are looser, should be able to wear 33's by next week.

I have a busy week this week so working out will be sporadic at best, energy level is high, so I'm considering a light weights workout tonight if I can find an hour in my schedule.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:21 pm 

I would like to get back into fitness and exercise and was wondering if I could get advice.

The gym at my work only has access to a smith machine and dumbbells up to 50 pounds. In the past, I was doing basically Stronglifts 5x5 with the dumb bells. Is there truly any downside to working with dumb bells compared to barbells? Obviously barbells are better, but I've heard that even body weight training is better than dumb bell training.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:09 pm 

For weights I only use dumbells, they can give a greater range of motion than most barbell exercises as well. Not sure why anybody would say it's inferior.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:28 pm 

Dumbbells are generally superior. It can be a pain incrementing by 1 pound increments on them if you don't have those magnet thingies, that's the only real downside.

Well, that and how it's gonna be impossible for you to benchpress 150 pounds with these 50 lb dumbbells. And it's rather difficult to squat without a barbell. And how much floor space a rack of single cast iron style dumbbells consumes.

This gym sounds pretty terrible tbqh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:50 pm 

ratikal wrote:
Obviously barbells are better...

Why do you say that? Bars and dumbbells have different properties, but in the grand scheme of things it won't matter a bit, so no worries. Actually my preference would be for dumbbells for most exercises, with bars only used sporadically to add variety for a few months.

I have successfully worked dumbbells-only for a few years when I didn't have access to a gym. Deadlifts and squats included. Squats were problematic at first since you need to handle huge weights with those puny wrists and forearms, but straps worked well enough, and I might have squeezed out some grip strength gains out of that experience too :) Dumbbell squats tend to hit quads more than glutes, so add in a glute exercise too (e.g., long lunges) and you are set. In the end everything was perfectly doable with great results, with a bit of careful programming. But, I did have adjustable dumbbells that went up to 250lbs...

Like everybody else said, go with dumbells until you outgrow the weights. Then switch to the smith machine when you need more resistance for an exercise. Probably that'll happen very quickly with deadlifts, squats, and calves. Not optimal, but I say high resistance with a smith machine is better than low-resistance free weights. If you outgrow even that some interesting combinations could be programmed, like smith squats, followed by split dumbbell squats.

If you are still serious at that point you will have found a good gym by then :) Even if not, you'll probably be stronger than 99% of the population.

Do explore bodyweight training too, I'm not very knowledgeable in that area, but others here could help.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:56 pm 

kane wrote:
Like everybody else said, go with dumbells until you outgrow the weights. Then switch to the smith machine when you need more resistance for an exercise. Probably that'll happen very quickly with deadlifts, squats, and calves. Not optimal, but I say high resistance with a smith machine is better than low-resistance free weights. If you outgrow even that some interesting combinations could be programmed, like smith squats, followed by split dumbbell squats.

Aren't Smith machines known to cause injuries? The problem is that they force a straight line, thus forcing you into a suboptimal position considering that the barbell would describe an arc otherwise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:11 am 

Bonus! wrote:
kane wrote:

Aren't Smith machines known to cause injuries? The problem is that they force a straight line, thus forcing you into a suboptimal position considering that the barbell would describe an arc otherwise.

Yeah, that's a common issue with all machines. And dumbbell motions are more natural than barbells in the same way. However, although I don't have hard scientific evidence to back this up, in my experience the smith isn't any worse than other machines in this respect.

When you start handling unnaturally heavy stuff like this there is always risk, and it is up to you to assess it. With the weights us commoners handle, especially at relatively high reps (e.g., anywhere from 4 to 10), the risk should be negligible. Besides, for all I know people injure themselves far easier and more often with a badly executed barbell-back squat than a bad smith squat :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:21 am 

Guess I'll join in the fun.
I've gone back to the gym to fight my programmer/chair pilot lifestyle.

Weight day:
Dumbbells 25 lbs (12 reps for 3 sets) then finish with 30's or 35's if my arms feel good. (I'm 5'10" so I can't keep balance at 40 lbs)
Plenty of pulling from different angles on the cable machines usually around 30 lbs per arm.
Then I do vertical double handed downward pulls at 80 lbs for 16 or so reps ending with 100 (10 reps) lbs.
Leg press 200 lbs (25 reps), 250 lbs (25 reps), 300 lbs (16 reps)
Chest press 50 lbs per arm (16 reps), 65 lbs per arm (16 reps), 75 - 90 lbs per arm (10 reps) (depending on how I'm feeling)

Cardio Rodeo: (Boring as hell)
500 calories on stepper machine
200 - 300 calories on treadmill

Aaaand I'm still chubby at 187 lbs.
Just had a Hershey's brand "energy bar" so uh maybe it's my eating habits... :lol:

Oh and one piece of advice you MUST take care of your wrists. Your arms will probably be able to progress more quickly but pay attention to your wrists and other joints. :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:05 pm 

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:
Aaaand I'm still chubby at 187 lbs.

Glad I'm not the only one, when talking about weight and exercise with my friends they ask "Well how much do you weight?" and I say 187lbs and they look at me with a blank expression and go.... "wow I figured you'd be over 220 for sure..."

Ummm..... thanks? :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:12 pm 

At the end of the day, the only objective measure of progress is the weight on the bar. If it's not going up, you're not going anywhere.

A lot of people just want to have fun. Actual training entails pretty much nothing but the benchpress, squat, and some chin-ups on the side. The press, powerclean, and sprint work as optional accessories. Spending a week or three to move the number on a benchpress up by 1 pound is booooooooooring man.

Though personally I think providing carbon dioxide to the plants in the fern room while watching TV (or its slightly more exciting cousin, jogging) has to crystallize the pinnacle of boredom addiction and the deep laziness of us animals.

Ya don't have to become the sick of deadlifts guy, but if you feel like taking a nap while training... probably nothing is happening.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:21 pm 

I have been running on and off for a couple years now and am back in the swing of things. Try to do 4 runs a week between 4-8 miles each, last fall I ended the season with a couple half marathons that went surprisingly decent, but then winter happened (5 months here).

I do typically live off of pasta, beans and rice, fruits and veggies, eggs, and overall not enough protein. I also binge eat garbage, so I haven't been able to lose the weight I would like to. So last night I watched a few youtube vids of those high intensity workout and today I gave it a try... OUCH!

The routine was Burpees > Leg Lifts > Mountain Climbers > High Knees, 30 seconds each X4 sets. Shit totally kicked me ass. Then I went on a 6K run :twisted:
I think if I can do this a few times a week and really watch what I eat through the summer I can shed the 20excess lbs by the fall, that's my goal anyway. Maybe I should buy a scale?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:02 pm 

What a week so far.

Finally graduated to the next level in push ups. Moved up to level 5 squats as well. Will be up to level 4 leg raises next week too.

On the bridge front we've made a command decision - were skipping the level 3 angeld bridges. Did a lot of research on bridge progressions before we decided.

We start head bridges Friday.

As always I'll have my weeks rundown on Friday. Don't lie - I know it's the highlight of everyone's week :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:11 pm 

on day 5 of juice-only (first 5 days were juice + salad for lunch) and I feel good, a little hungry still, but nothing like what day 3 was, it was rough.

185lb this morning, so the weight is coming off consistently so far, though I should probably keep weigh-ins to once a week. Skin has gotten a lot clearer as well, and my sleep has improved, though its still not perfect. The slight bags under my eyes I normally have almost disappeared as well.

It's raining here tonight so I'm going to try a light weights workout to see if I have enough gas in the tank to do that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:03 pm 

Week 14 down

Monday

Push Ups - Level 2 Inclines - LEVEL UP to 3 - Knee push ups

Leg Raises - Level 3 Flat bent knee raises - Hit numbers, 1 more week. Discovered I was making these harder than they needed to be.

Wednesday

Pull Ups - Level 2 Hori PU +4 - 74 total

Squats - Level 4 Half Squats - LEVEL UP to 5 - Full squats

Friday

Bridges - Level 4 - Head Bridges - Two sets of 4 - Really good arm/leg extension, and hip height. These are much more comfortable from an orthopedic standpoint.

Hand Stand Push Ups - Level 2 Crow stands - Still around 30 seconds, but I had a lot of holds for over 20 seconds today, the most ever. I also discovered a little trick to help.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:55 pm 

broken harbour wrote:
on day 5 of juice-only (first 5 days were juice + salad for lunch) and I feel good, a little hungry still, but nothing like what day 3 was, it was rough.

Don't be hungry, just eat more of those plants. You won't be gaining much weight when you're getting an ample amount of exercise and your main sources of fat are avocados, nuts and seeds. A big (1 liter) smoothie (bananas, frozen fruit/berries, greens, chia/hemp seeds, etc.) is filling, tastes good, digests easily, is healthy and can be continued indefinitely (unlike juice fasts or whatever).

Last 2 days got about 90 miles of biking in and 9000 feet of mountain climbed. That'll send the unwanted and wanted pounds away. :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:00 pm 

stevens, I hope you realise no one knows what you're on about. these levels and numbers just seem like gibberish, that's why people don't reply. not cause they're not into working out or w/e.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:54 pm 

I don't understand how you are satiated with smoothies and such. I could never do that. Here's my menu for today.

Breakfast:
A huge bowl of oatmeal
1 lb non-fat strawberry greek yogurt
Sandwich: A mini wheat pocket filled with 2 hard boiled eggs, cheddar, tomatoes, salt + pepper

Lunch:
1 lb of plain non-fat greek yogurt
0.6 lbs turkey breast

Afternoon snack:
A huge marshmallow+rice junk bar

Dinner:
1 entire pack of reduced-fat tofu, baked
Steamed green beans enough to feed 4
1 lb fish fillet

Lots of coffee all day, with a bit *whole* milk too. Skim is not meant for human consumption.

You can pack a lot of food into your daily calorie requirements. And this is my maintenance, lose the oatmeal and the candy bar, and I'd be losing 1-2 pounds a week. Zero aerobic exercise. I'm a yogurt junkie by the way.

*Edited for the 12th time...*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:23 pm 

Yesterday I took some Swedish Fish for those essential fish oils and had 2 doughnut holes as a hole is a calorie deficit.
Then I went and burned 900 calories to make up for them. :roll:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next