Weightlifting/exercise thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BryanM

Re: Weightlifting/exercise thread

Post by BryanM »

Get a bucket. Fill it with cement. Do ghetto deadlifts. Shit, just hugging it to your chest and standing still is what those muscles were designed to do in the first place.

The backside of the deltoid can only be worked with pulling motions however. Those wanting to become a rottweiler can't see an improvement in their wall climbing without it. As always, the solution to all of life's problems is buying a power rack and/or voting for Bernie Sanders.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Blinge wrote:How does I work my back out without a pullup bar?
I don't want to go to a godamned gym.
I do pushups, planks n squats n stuff.
I would highly, highly, highly suggest that you invest in a door frame pull up bar. If you're not there yet an exercise band looped over a high point can be used for pull downs to strengthen your lats. If you can do pull ups though you should be:D

Bridges are excellent for your back too (spinal erectors). Try to find a bridge progression if you can, as those muscles are crimincally neglected.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
1up

Post by 1up »

can't you somewhat substitute pullups with bentover dumbbell rows? I know it's not the exact same motion but it is a pulling excersise.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

I was fairly fit 4 years ago, used to lift/cardio every day of every week, even on vacation.

Then I got a repetitive stress injury in my right arm and it all went downhill, it was so bad for a few years that even holding a coffee cup in my right hand was impossible. Gone thru many different treatments over the past few years, while I can function normally now, if I go back to lifting, after a week my arm starts to hurt again and I stop. I still run in the summer, but not enough, and in the winter I tried, and slipped and fell on the ice and now I've had a bad back for months.... ugh.

The upside is that I have more time for video games now that all I do is sit on the couch... :cry:

Still, I'm getting a little doughy, wouldn't mind getting back to it once my back heals.
DaneSaga

Post by DaneSaga »

I've experienced numbness in my pinky and ring fingers on my left hand. Went to a doctor and was told I had a pinched nerve (most likely in the wrist). It comes and goes, sometimes present for weeks at a time. It hasn't affected my weight training, but the times I have it make it very hard to do things that rely on those digits - for example playing the guitar, or typing.
Never had the issue when I was a casual lifter, only when I got into the heavy stuff with powerlifting several years back.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

broken harbour wrote:Snip
Get well soon BH, that seriously blows.

I would recommend you look into progressive calisthenics. Be happy to point you in the right direction and/or offer advice should you seek it.

Today was push ups and leg raises (knee tucks). Hit the progress goals for push ups, but will do the same set again next Monday. Knee tucks went from 3x20 to 3x30. Still have a few weeks of them before moving on.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Stevens wrote:
broken harbour wrote:Snip
Get well soon BH, that seriously blows.

I would recommend you look into progressive calisthenics. Be happy to point you in the right direction and/or offer advice should you seek it.

Today was push ups and leg raises (knee tucks). Hit the progress goals for push ups, but will do the same set again next Monday. Knee tucks went from 3x20 to 3x30. Still have a few weeks of them before moving on.
Yes please point me in the right direction, that would be awesome, thank you.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I started with Primal Blueprint Fitness. It's five exercises (push ups, pull ups, planks/side planks, squats, and shoulder presses) with 8 progressions each.

There are no pictures, but you should be able to find how to videos on youtube if you're stuck. I have a copy of it on PDF that I would more than happy to send you. You can also get it here if you sign up for the newsletter:

marksdailyapple.com

You can find a bunch of stuff on youtube as far as how to's if you search calisthenic tutorials. Al Kavadlo's youtube is also a great resource. There are other resources mind you, but PBF served me well until I had decided I needed more.

If you're new to bodyweight training I will offer two pieces of advice (if I may):

Technique is everything and be patient.

Feel free to ask me anything. If I can't answer it I'll find someone who knows the answer:D
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Week 2 in the books, numbers up in everything.

How you feeling BH?
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Stevens wrote:How you feeling BH?
Haven't really done anything yet, back has been bugging me all week, this weekend is stacked with things to do but come Monday I think I should be good to start again, albeit baby steps at first.

Unless of course I pick a potato chip off the floor and tweak my back. :P
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Eh - more specifics on my training thus far:

Starting to hit progression numbers in push ups (all 3 sets), and short bridges (1 of 3). I'm really enjoying getting into bridges. Back is a little sore today, but the good kind.

Numbers are up in shoulder stand squats. Keeping my balance was much easier this week. Should be off of those within the month as they are more balance and flexibility than strength - at least for the time being. Knee tucks are up as well - I should hit progression numbers this week.

I'm getting much more used to being inverted. Should hit 1 minute with headstands next week after starting at 20 seconds only a week ago. Have to go to 2 minutes, been dabbling with crow stance along side of them.

Hori pull ups. Probably here for a few more weeks too. I can do pull ups, but regressing has revealed weakness in other muscles. I'm glad I started every exercise at level 1.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Back finally feels good, looks like I start riding my bike tonight. :mrgreen:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Glad to hear it.

Back is still not quite recovered from Friday, taking an extra day, back to it tomorrow.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I could really used to find a good routine. My wife has had me going to the gym 2-3 times a week for a while now and I feel like I'm making some progress, but feel like I'm not doing things right. I've generally been doing 20-30 minutes of cardio each time (usually en elliptical, I have a bad knee and it seems to be the lowest impact on that,) 10-15 minutes on the rowimg machine and then fill out whatever part of the hour is remaining on various weight machines. It definitely seems to be working, but I feel like I could be doing better.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Vexorg wrote:I could really used to find a good routine. My wife has had me going to the gym 2-3 times a week for a while now and I feel like I'm making some progress, but feel like I'm not doing things right. I've generally been doing 20-30 minutes of cardio each time (usually en elliptical, I have a bad knee and it seems to be the lowest impact on that,) 10-15 minutes on the rowimg machine and then fill out whatever part of the hour is remaining on various weight machines. It definitely seems to be working, but I feel like I could be doing better.
Ditch the weight machines and use free weights, start light.

Having a qualified person you know, or paying for a couple sessions with a trainer so they can show you proper form and stuff will always be worth what you pay.

I generally separate my weights and cardio days. When I was fit, I did a full body weights workout 4 times a week and cardio 3 times a week. I was pretty cut and I didn't even eat all that great.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Vexorg wrote:but feel like I'm not doing things right. It definitely seems to be working, but I feel like I could be doing better.
Provided you're seeking advice could you elaborate on this?

What are your fitness goals?
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I've actually made decent progress over the last year or so (at the beginning of 2015 I was around 220 pounds, I'm around 195 now) but I figure I still have another 20-25 pounds to lose to be within a healthy weight range, and I'm trying to build some muscle in the process as well. In particular, my wife would like some decent abs to look at... I can actually do pretty well on cardio (I can generally do 30+ minutes on an elliptical trainer or 15+ minutes on a rowing machine without too much trouble) , but can't really run because I have a bad knee that's going to eventually require surgical intervention at some point.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Vexorg wrote: In particular, my wife would like some decent abs to look at...
What is your diet like?
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Could be better. We've made efforts to try to eat better, but haven't really found anything that we've been able to stick to. I know my wife is having a hard time giving up soda, and my weakness seems to be salty stuff or fried stuff (although I've managed to cut a lot of that out.)
1up

Post by 1up »

My advice on diet is to not completely cut out your favorite sinful foods. Just keep it at a reasonable level. My weakness is soda too and I also enjoy sweet licorice, chocolate and potato chips but I try to keep that stuff to the weekends. If I couldn't have it I could probably do without it for a while but I know at some point I will cave in and just binge on that stuff. It happened before. When I keep it to the weekend I have something to look forward to.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

1up wrote:My advice on diet is to not completely cut out your favorite sinful foods. Just keep it at a reasonable level. My weakness is soda too and I also enjoy sweet licorice, chocolate and potato chips but I try to keep that stuff to the weekends. If I couldn't have it I could probably do without it for a while but I know at some point I will cave in and just binge on that stuff. It happened before. When I keep it to the weekend I have something to look forward to.
This is good advice.

There is one day a month I go apeshit and throw self restraint out the window. I follow that up with an 18 - 24 hour fast and start all over again. You have to find what works for you.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Today was hori pull ups (level 2 of pull ups) and shoulder stand squats (level 1 of squats).

Did the exact same number of pull ups as last week, so I am going to change up a few things. I am going to add one set on both Monday and Friday after my regular workout. The other thing I am going to do is change the angle a little to make it easier. When I hit numbers at the easier angle I will go back to the normal angle.

SSS - I will hit numbers for progression next week. Then I will do them for one more week before moving on.

My progress so far - Squats and bridges are close to level 2.

Push Ups - Level 2
Leg Raises - Level 2
Pull Ups - Level 2
Squats - Level 1
Bridges - Level 1
Hand Stand Push Ups - Level 1

I'll close the week out with short bridges (1) and headstands (1).
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

This is turning into my workout journal:D How is everyone (er anyone?) else doing?

Week 4 down.

I've reached level 2 in errything except headstands, which I made another 10 seconds of progress in this week bringing me to 1 min 10s. I only did one headstand, if my time goes up 5-10 seconds next week I am cutting them down to one set. 2 minutes is the goal.

Sometimes less is more.

Push Ups - Level 2 Inclines
Leg Raises - Level 2 Flat knee raises
Pull Ups - Level 2 Hori PU
Squats - Level 2 Jackknife squats
Bridges - Level 2 Flat Bridges
Hand Stand Push Ups - Level 1 Headstands
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

This is turning into my workout journal:D How is everyone (er anyone?) else doing?

Week 6 down.

Still on level 2 in errything except headstands, which I made another 10 seconds of progress in this week bringing me to 1 min 30s. Cutting back to one handstand has been beneficial as my time continues to improve.

Sometimes less is more.

I've hit numbers on leg raises and squats. Will be moving to level three in two weeks. Close to numbers on push ups.

Numbers continue to improve on the remaining three. I really like bridging a lot.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

I almost started then got a wry neck, which is shockingly painful and makes it hard to sleep, tho it's slowly getting better.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I just spent two weeks on vacation (a week at Disney World followed by a week on a cruise) so it's been a while since I've been to the gym, and I really need to get back into it. An average day at Disney World can easily be 8-10 miles of walking (and a lot of standing around on top of that) but even with all that it can be tough to offset all the junk food. And then adding a cruise on top of that doesn't help much with the eating habits.

I'm definitely up a couple of pounds after all that, but I'm surprised it wasn't more. I picked up a cold on the last couple of days of the trip, but will be getting back into the gym routine after I'm done with that. My wife and I are also planning to do a few personal training sessions to get a better idea of how to make our workouts more effective.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

broken harbour wrote:I almost started then got a wry neck, which is shockingly painful and makes it hard to sleep, tho it's slowly getting better.
You can't catch a break can you? Speedy recovery!

Here is an article that might be of some interest:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/7-movem ... y-strength
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Lol yes, I've been constantly broken lately, random injuries.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Week 7 down.

I've hit numbers on leg raises and squats, 1 more week to level 3. Very close to numbers on push ups.

Headstands - Added 15 seconds bringing me to 1 min 45s, should be on level two in a few weeks.

Numbers continue to improve on pull up and bridges. Adding 3 reps a week on pull ups (1 per set), and bridging is ****ing awesome.

I'll be on level 2 pull ups for the next 12 weeks or so.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I do Billy's Bootcamp Cardio Sculpts every morning now.