Your Dream Game Hackz

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Drum
Banned User

Re: Your Dream Game Hackz

Post by Drum »

Parodius series: Ditch bells. Or else make them cycle through colours with time, not by getting shot.
Sexy Parodius specifically: put the speed level closer to the end of the game, and have speedups work like Gradius V ie. getting a speedup at max speed puts you down to min speed.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
trap15

Post by trap15 »

emphatic wrote:Twin Cobra Arrange mode

When dying, bomb stock x 10.000 pts is awarded to player. This means that dying with 20 bombs in stock= extend. Weapon icons play the coin sound 0.5 seconds before they change color.
I can agree with the weapon change thing; it can be fairly annoying to be like "alright, come to me blue power!" only to get the shitty yellow power :lol:

But I don't think there should be a bonus for dying with bomb stock. If anything, a bonus at stage-end for the bomb stock sounds not-awful (maybe bombs x 5,000).

Come up with more ideas, and I may consider a Kyuukyoku Tiger arrange :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote:Come up with more ideas, and I may consider a Kyuukyoku Tiger arrange :)
The "dying with bombs" thing was an incentive to not bomb at all, but I guess an end of stage bomb bonus would be great as well.

How about:

Danmaku mode:

* Slower but increased amount of enemy bullets
* Smaller hitbox

* 15kHz full auto
* Bosses doesn't time out (or stop firing)
* Dying powers you down three steps maximum and one step minimum (if you've only taken one power-up before dying)
* Red heli is slightly more powerful using red shot (0.5x)
* Blue heli is slightly faster and is slightly more powerful (0.5x) using green shot
* Yellow shot is 2X as powerful as in the original game
* Looping the game gives you 500,000 pts + 1 extend
* Score extends at 200K, then every 600K
* No miss bonus - 50K for each stage
* Every new loop = double enemy shot speed
* Hold A button + start to play as blue heli - both players can play as blue or red

:)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

The yellow shot in Twin Cobra could really use some buffing. No wonder Takumi didn't bother bringing it over to the sequel.

Some others:

Darius II: Don't power the ship all the way down when you die. Have the powerdown be similar to Darius Gaiden, where you go down to level 1 of your current weapon class. Add in an endgame bonus similar to the Mega Drive version.

Midnight Resistance: Hack the Mega Drive version BGM into the arcade game. This would be a tough one probably, esp. if you have to add a YM2612 to the board.

Fire Shark: Danmaku mode like emphatic's idea for Twin Cobra. Change the "P" system to require just ONE item for the next level instead of 3.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

gameoverDude wrote: Fire Shark: Danmaku mode like emphatic's idea for Twin Cobra. Change the "P" system to require just ONE item for the next level instead of 3.
Not sure about the Danmaku mode, I quite like the vintage manic gameplay. My ideas:
- powerups go in a round circle/drop like Garegga medals instead of bouncing everywhere for five minutes
- speed is equivalent to getting one speed powerup at the beginning and YOU DO NOT GET EXTRAS
- Novice mode being like the 2P/Fire Shark editions with Main mode being 1P Same Same Same difficulty
- Wobble scrolling regardless of mode, always having a 2P option
- instant death / slightly longer death time mode where you chain enemy kills + bomb stock bonus on death as a way to get extra lives, it'd almost be like the Garegga stage 2 trick
- instant respawn and loss of one power level
- autofire
- extend rate set to every 1mil
- initial wide shot weapon has less spread, closer to Raiden's lv3 spread instead of having 45* angle
- sound working in normal MAME :P
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Ideas
I could actually apply most of that to Kyuukyoku Tiger as well :wink:

Anyhow, I've got plenty of ideas now if I want to do a Kyuukyoku Tiger arrange. If I feel the motivation, I may start working on it. Kyuukyoku Garegga \o\
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force - 2 player cooperative mode. Rather disappointed with the lack of 2P coopeative mode. Also assign gun/ranged weapon attack to a separate button.

Gungriffon Blaze - replace the linear radar with proper radar, and if possible add classic levels from both previous games too.

Assault Suit Leynos 2 - Allow parts/AS to be unlocked in the 2nd playthrough above.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote:I may start working on it. Kyuukyoku Garegga \o\
If you do, I promise to create a custom move strip for cabinet owners as I assume this would work on the PCB as well. :)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Another one:
Convert ships from Star Control 2 into weapons in Unreal Tournament.
The Thraddash, Utwig, Druuge, Chmmr and Chenjesu would be lots of fun.

Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Front Mission 5 - increase most (or perhaps every) gattling gun type weapon accuracy to at least FM4 level. Heck, it's usefulness is rather limited since it's mostly aims for arms.
Make exclusive wanzers (the only that can be obtained by the ridiculous Hard mode survival simulator) available at the shop, which already happen thanks to the hangar patch.
Hard mode should retain previous game's part/etc as well, just like New Game+. To compensate the difficulty level, most enemy units' rank is doubled (or +1 or 2 from the normal Hard mode).
chempop

Post by chempop »

shmuppyLove wrote:
Ruldra wrote:Dimahoo: Make it so the item list in its entirety is visible at all times so you know what's missing. I don't know how to implement this without cluttering the screen though.
I dunno, I know people love this game, and I enjoy playing it, but the item collection stuff is complete bullshit and so out of place in a STG, especially if you're trying to be precise about it.

I say get rid of the items altogether and implement something else. Like medals.

The items make sense in the context of a high-fantasy D&D-style shmup, but seriously the game is fucking hard enough.
After six months of playing this regularly, I just discovered how to get the item list to appear while playing... Sorta. Holding start and tapping A, it does turn on, but not as consistently as it should.

The item collection is fun for me, especially when I get piles of secret items with huge multipliers in stage 4. I wish the default was extends at every 2mil, that way I could legitimately 1CC the game.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Does it count if they're genuinely projects I'm undertaking? :P

[Shikigami no Shiro 2: Retranslated
Shikigami no Shiro Nanayozuki Gensoukyoku: fan translated]

Growlanser PSP: translated
Oreshika PS1/PSP: translated(the crazy Alfa System RPG where you make your descendants to carry on the fight against a demon lord)

And in a dream world, a Vampire: Bloodlines mod to make it into an open world Mage game.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

trap15 wrote:

Anyhow, I've got plenty of ideas now if I want to do a Kyuukyoku Tiger arrange. If I feel the motivation, I may start working on it. Kyuukyoku Garegga \o\
Oh, you! :P

Now I'll actually have to play it. How's Daioh Arrange / Ketsui Arrange 1.51 / Raiden II going anyway?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Daioh Arrange needs testers that actually like Bakraid (yeah, good luck to me :wink:), Ketsui Arrange 1.51 needs motivation, and Raiden II has been on hiatus forever.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Super Mario Kart with the Gradius power up system would be pretty interesting.

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote:Daioh Arrange needs testers that actually like Bakraid (yeah, good luck to me :wink:), Ketsui Arrange 1.51 needs motivation, and Raiden II has been on hiatus forever.
Oh, and for a possible Twin Cobra arrange, would it be possible to speed up the scrolling to shorten the overall length per loop as well as intensify the action?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Probably. I think that'd be a good idea as well; the game can feel kinda slow in the beginning.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Drum wrote:Parodius series: Ditch bells. Or else make them cycle through colours with time, not by getting shot.
Sexy Parodius specifically: put the speed level closer to the end of the game, and have speedups work like Gradius V ie. getting a speedup at max speed puts you down to min speed.
I'd rather see the bell system added into the Gradius games as I actually like that system.

Oh, and more Ancient Cave like hacks for other RPGs than FF5, though I'm trying to think of ones it'd work with. I'm actually surprised one had been made for FF5 and need to try it. Should be ridiculously fun, and FF5 was already one of my favorites of the series.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I love Blazing Lazers' feature on the I-II-III-IV changing powerups where you can shoot the item to freeze it. It would be handy on Twin Cobra's weapon changers. Maybe even allowing the player to draw the WC toward their heli (not a Ketsui chip style suck-in, but something slower) by continuously shooting it wouldn't be bad.

Twin Cobra II's scoring system when you grab stars is sorta cool also, in how the values go up as long as you don't die.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:
Drum wrote:Parodius series: Ditch bells. Or else make them cycle through colours with time, not by getting shot.
I'd rather see the bell system added into the Gradius games as I actually like that system.
You just made an enemy.

BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

trap15 wrote:Daioh Arrange needs testers that actually like Bakraid (yeah, good luck to me :wink:), Ketsui Arrange 1.51 needs motivation, and Raiden II has been on hiatus forever.
I'd offer to test but as a player I suck and I'm not familiar enough with Daioh, so I imagine I'd be pretty useless at helping out. Bonus points for Bakraid inspiration though, seems to have worked for you for the arranges so far! :D

As for motivation, believe in yourself and you will learn how to ride a bike (or at least have a small chuckle). :lol:
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Tetris TGM 3: Add an IIS (Initial Inversion System) to allow a 180 degree rotation done by holding A+C as a piece is preparing to spawn. It would be useful for Shirase or later sections of the Master mode, where the speed can get into early Shirase levels if you've racked up a good number of section time COOLs. If hell freezes over and TGM 4 is uncancelled, hopefully Arika would make IIS an official feature.

Atari Tetris (arcade) - Add clockwise rotation.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Kid Icarus: Uprising is actually a really good game - sometimes incredible - but its enormous potential is sadly uncapitalised in its current form. It needs:

- Circle Pad Pro patch to allow the 2nd analog to be used as a reticle/movement alternative
- A Nintendo Wii port
- A Japanese lang option with English subtitles

Although the latter is a bit impractical (can't read subs very easily while fighting) the other two are perfectly doable. If Nintendo don't patch the proper CPP support then the homebrew hackers should get on it once the 3DS is opened up.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

I've been replaying Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and finding it surprisingly enjoyable. Partially for its endearingly garish, blazing colours, almost Argento-like. But I also like the lack of hand-holding while exploring, the various spellbook combos are fun to mess about with and there's a good sense of impact which makes smacking monsters fun (as in all the Igarashi-produced games). However the controls have a couple of stupid kinks that spoil the groove. It'd still be a tacky little curio without them, but it's a shame they're in there.

1) Minor complaint: make dashing work like the Megaman X/Zero games, adding momentum to jumps. The abrupt disconnect between dashing and regular movement feels shoddy.

2) Bigger complaint: the control is a botched attempt to meld oldschool and SOTN controls. Juicy controls like SOTN Alucard until you attack in the air, at which point all control is relinquished until landing (or the lengthy attack animation stops). Do a small jump while whipping and you get max height mandatorily, smacking into something overhead or landing on something below. I don't particularly mind having to mentally keep track of parallel control schemes, since I like both types of CV, but it's a completely pointless feature. Drop the pretense of oldschool stricture and let Juicy jump the fuck around already.

3) Option to disable BGM by area. Two are great (Successor of Fate / Entryway + Offense and Defense / Marble Corridor), most are fleetingly tolerable, a few are hideously tuneless and shrill. The sound effects OTOH are great.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

A Flying Shark rom hack that let you run it on Twin Cobra hardware eliminating the massive slowdowns on stage 5.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a version of DOJ-WL with same hitboxes as DOJ-BL, of course keeping everything else the same. As I recall, it was mentioned a few times on this forum. There was also a link showing the approximate hitboxes for Cave games, which seemed to be consistent with this.

Not only it would keep a uniformity between the two versions, but also the fact that BL hitboxes for A and B type seem to be more in line with original Dodonpachi's hitboxes for A and C type.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

trap15 wrote:

No real input, just wanted to say how awesome this would be. Those old Toaplan games are among my favorite, but they are also absurdly archaic. Modding them to strip away a number of the old conventions (need 5 million speed ups, lose everything when you die, bomb not coming out instantly, etc.) without turning them into modern shmups would be an amazing feat!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

It would be great to have Guwange that can have FREE PLAY on without staying on the title screen or Battle Garegga without the logo plastered all over the demo mode. Screen burn sucks.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

wiNteR wrote:Anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a version of DOJ-WL with same hitboxes as DOJ-BL, of course keeping everything else the same. As I recall, it was mentioned a few times on this forum. There was also a link showing the approximate hitboxes for Cave games, which seemed to be consistent with this.

Not only it would keep a uniformity between the two versions, but also the fact that BL hitboxes for A and B type seem to be more in line with original Dodonpachi's hitboxes for A and C type.
I'd appreciate that, but it's one of those things that would have an impact on the forum scoreboards - unless you're willing to assume every scorer is going to be honest and tell you if they played the hacked version.
emphatic wrote:It would be great to have Guwange that can have FREE PLAY on without staying on the title screen or Battle Garegga without the logo plastered all over the demo mode. Screen burn sucks.
Um, it would be great have a Guwange where the freaking scoreboard was hacked to display in numbers rather than characters!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skykid wrote:
emphatic wrote:It would be great to have Guwange that can have FREE PLAY on without staying on the title screen or Battle Garegga without the logo plastered all over the demo mode. Screen burn sucks.
Um, it would be great have a Guwange where the freaking scoreboard was hacked to display in numbers rather than characters!
*facepalm* That would of course be a huge improvement as well.