Your Dream Game Hackz

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
z0mbie90

Re: Your Dream Game Hackz

Post by z0mbie90 »

KAI wrote:Super Turbo with hops, hyper hops and air dashes.
Guilty Street Fighter 2 Turbo Gear??
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aladdin [MD/GEN]. Staggeringly beautiful game to look at, but whoever handled the basic collision and scrolling details must've been raised in a barn (a barn lacking decent sidescrollers at that), so I'm selling mine. It's mentally exhausting keeping all the game's screwups at bay, to the point I can't enjoy the presentation. "Competence" hack:

-Player sprite stays centered when screen is scrolling, instead of gradually migrating to the edge where it's impossible to react to anything. You can re-center Al by tapping forward, but doing this near-constantly is tiresome.

-Running attacks don't cancel if you stop moving. Standing attacks don't cancel if you start. The sword attack is inherently weak to begin with, it doesn't help that it conks out with the slightest adjusting of position.

-Damage recoil effect on player and enemies. Nothing extreme, just enough to give a sense of impact and feedback. The game's collisions feel really insubstantial and nasty as they are.

-Cutscene disable option. The game itself is outstandingly beautiful, the static cutscenes could've come from any shitty movie license and only detract.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:Aladdin [MD/GEN]. Staggeringly beautiful game to look at, but whoever handled the basic collision and scrolling details must've been raised in a barn (a barn lacking decent sidescrollers at that), so I'm selling mine. It's mentally exhausting keeping all the game's screwups at bay, to the point I can't enjoy the presentation. "Competence" hack:
Look, slightly OT, but every single time I mention on this forum that MD Aladdin is crap (for all the reasons you mention, and basic layout as well) I get a bunch of folk chiming in about how great it is.

MD Aladdin was never great, still isn't great, hasn't matured with age. It was always a messy pile of code and I hated it back then. Capcom's SFC ver is a far superior effort.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Wouldn't call it outright crap myself. Shoddy on some of its fundamentals, for sure (a sidescroller with camera issues...). Spent some more time with it this evening, and actually warmed up to it once it became more of a platformer than an action game. "The Escape" and "Inside The Lamp" were both a lot of fun, I wish the city and desert levels earlier had just been straight running and jumping too. The combat blows but when it's sticking to jumping and bouncing over pits it's fine. As a fan of several oldschool survival horrors I'm used to having to take a gorgeously produced, mechanically unsound game and counteract/quarantine all the bad stuff to enjoy the show. Shame it didn't have the basic airtightness you can end up taking for granted with Capcom, Konami, Tecmo and other first-rate sidescroller houses. It didn't even need to be better than bog-standard with production like this.

Kind of ridiculous, having to analyse a janky sidescroller like a mad professor devising the perfect playlist for his afternoon shag, but oh well. Thing's not worth anything anyway, afaik (was a very gracious freebie from a pal, besides). Something kinda cute about Western licenses in JP format too, I find.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Brandish 2 & 3(PC-98), Brandish VT (Windows) : English translations are all I want. B2 is translated on SNES, but the PC-98 version has some extra areas that didn't make the cut on the SNES one.

Zwei 2++: English translation. Actually, there is one out there that's in the latter stages of progress- look at bofgames.com. I caught a favorite seller on eBay listing the Win8 compatible re-release, so I went to them to snag a copy.
BIL wrote:Elemental Master [MD] "arcade" difficulty setting with instant deaths and checkpoint restarts (add a life stock with a couple score extends and healthy remaining stock bonus, keep the shield item as-is). This would be on a par with Gun.Smoke for groundbased-vert terror. Speaking of which:
I like this idea. Make the life bar extend item do something else like give a point bonus.

Thunder Force IV (MD) : Make the bosses' missiles/respawning helpers worth nothing when shot down so that leeching is not possible. Maybe even have a boss time out after its BGM has looped twice- if the boss times out, its point value would not be awarded.

Ridge Racer (Vita) : Double the framerate. IOW, just get it to 60 FPS.

Contra IV (DS): Time the stages to prevent leeching. This applies to just about any Contra game actually.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Ninja Kid 2 - 3 button version.
Use a third button to cycle through the weapon inventory instead of pushing the joystick upwards (original mechanic is making it quite unplayable with Japanese joysticks as they're too sensitive).
Last edited by emphatic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thunder Force II, III & IV [MD/SS]: "Direct" control scheme for six-button pads, ala Thunder Force V. One face button for each of the five weapons, sixth for speed adjust in TFIII/IV. It's too bad only TFV has this excellent feature, yet it's by far the one with the least use for it, owing to Free Range being the best weapon 95% of the time. Still feels awesome even in that game.

Already mentioned incorporating this feature into Alisia Dragoon, so yeah, pretty much any action game that has you cycling through three or more weapons could use it. Alien Soldier, The Hard Corps and Eliminate Down come to mind, too.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

Toa Plan with instant Rea Spawn.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

EXVSFB style gameplay on Gundam vs Gundam NEXT Plus?

Someone did it recently
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQV2DBSfXLw&NR
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Dodonpachi Daiffufuckyou

Can someone please hack the game so you can actually use hypers to score throughout the whole stage as opposed to just the first half. A reduced form of scoring would be fine, since the hyper is more powerful, but if it just followed the basic DOJ rules of chain, hyper and grab all the bees, that would really be complete game changer. In a good way. You still have all the laser fight tricks to boost chain and it's not easy to chain the entire 5th stage even with constant hypers.

I'd love a more back to basics approach to this game, I think it would benefit hugely.

gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

R-Type I-II-III: Two added buttons for Thunder Force type speed control similar to R-Type Delta & Final. As it is, taking more than 2 speedups means you'll be flying all over the place like a coked-up ferret. Not good.

LOL @ Free Range in TFV- it is a bit overpowered- just bugle everything to death and the game is broken. I am with BIL on 6-button control for TF II-III-IV though.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BIL

Post by BIL »

A hack of TFV itself to lower the FR's power and raise that of the other weapons wouldn't be bad, either. It gets ridiculous letting bosses live long enough for some actual challenge, only for the game to call you a bumbling asshole with a big red x1 because you didn't instant-kill them with FR.
Last edited by BIL on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Pressing question of the hour brought to you courtesy of Capcom and a lonely horse-head man's search for Ninja Warriors:

Does sex-swapping originally female character sprites (so young boys do not have to attack pixelated women) make American youth more morally upright?

Band Poison put it best: "Every Rose Has Its Thorn (According to Capcom US Marketing and, since then, the entire Internet)."

Your comments below, please.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:As a fan of several oldschool survival horrors I'm used to having to take a gorgeously produced, mechanically unsound game and counteract/quarantine all the bad stuff to enjoy the show.
Haha, this to the tittle. Been roughing it with some more N64 games, and between the emulator, the terrible controller plugin, the terrible controller, and the games themselves...well, even on Xbox 360 I found it was adding considerably to my engagement with the game when I had no surety that the shoulder button presses would register.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I know not the moral implications of sprite gender reassignment, but I do know that banishing der rowdy pixelwimmenz to some digital convent as per SNES Ninja Warriors, in the process depriving America's youth of enemy types, crowd mixups and hawt pixel butts in their scrolling fighters, is akin to Operation Manbaby Scrubs. Lacking both technical skills and normal healthy interactions with hostile pixelwimmenz, when these stunted youths graduate to the adult world of MINT CIB SFC COLLECTING they won't know what hit 'em. Unless they keep their games [saran wrap] sealed. "So many more different mixups to keep track of, and distractingly pert fictional boobs n' buns too! This game's not fair!"

A bleak future of uncleared games and unresolvable pixel-aroused boners awaits.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I wish MD Undeadline had checkpoints after the midbosses, as I like everything else about that game. Replaying the whole stage is such a chore.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

blackoak wrote:I wish MD Undeadline had checkpoints after the midbosses, as I like everything else about that game. Replaying the whole stage is such a chore.
Super R-Type suffers badly from having this same problem. Aside from the boring first stage, it's otherwise a great tweaked version of R-Type II. Wish someone would make a romhack that added mid-stage checkpoints.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Ketsuipachi - all I'd ask is one godamned mode where there's none of that boring bullet cancelling. Just Ketsui's system/ proximity mechanic and, maybe, hypers that work just like in Daioujou. Game would rule hard.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Pretas wrote:
blackoak wrote:I wish MD Undeadline had checkpoints after the midbosses, as I like everything else about that game. Replaying the whole stage is such a chore.
Super R-Type suffers badly from having this same problem. Aside from the boring first stage, it's otherwise a great tweaked version of R-Type II. Wish someone would make a romhack that added mid-stage checkpoints.
Yeah I agree. Just a couple of weeks ago I played Super R-Type but after a couple of hours I couldn't be arsed to play the whole godamned stage again...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
SuperXGamma

Post by SuperXGamma »

Every fighting game ever made:

World Heroes 2 style deathmatch style lifebar that can see-saw back and forth for the epic comeback!I must be the only person on the planet that enjoys that...
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

English translations of:
Brightis
Eltale Monsters (enhanced JP version of Quest 64)
Aquanauts Holiday 2
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
trap15

Post by trap15 »

A way to make Vasara (2) really fun. It's already cool, but the mechanic makes everything feel kinda slow and weird. I'm sure there's a way to make it more fun.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Give me all of the Rockman Zero games(GBA ones only) in a new release package that only replaces the music with the III soundtracks from the Remastered soundtrack releases. A lot of that is great music period, let alone video game music.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Popful Mail SEGA CD

Keep Working Designs translation, reinstate hit delay and health parameters from the JP version. Simple! Will take 5 minutes, someone do it! :evil:

Captain

Post by Captain »

All I want is for Hybrid Front to get translated.

:(
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Super Street Fighter IV (hell, even any SFII or SFIII): Another survival mode but with no health bar. Instead of health you'd lose time for getting hit- while doing combos, first attacks, perfects, or KOs would regain it. If the time runs out, you lose. So, no wins by Time Over here. One round against each character (will be a total of 44 in Ultra SFIV), then the total time remaining would be your record- challenging you to bank lots of time by avoiding damage, using combos, and KOing opponents ASAP.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

CHO REN SHA 68K ported to CPS2 or NEO-GEO would be nice, right? Especially with TATE like the X68K version. But, would it be possible?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

CPS2 would probably be pretty doable. The hardware is pretty similar (I know, I converted a game I was working on from X68k to CPS-2 pretty quickly :P).
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote:CPS2 would probably be pretty doable. The hardware is pretty similar (I know, I converted a game I was working on from X68k to CPS-2 pretty quickly :P).
Won't the non-square pixels of the CPS2 hardware be a problem?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

X68k has non-square pixels too ;)