Your Dream Game Hackz

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BPzeBanshee

Re: Your Dream Game Hackz

Post by BPzeBanshee »

emphatic wrote:
Skykid wrote:
emphatic wrote:It would be great to have Guwange that can have FREE PLAY on without staying on the title screen or Battle Garegga without the logo plastered all over the demo mode. Screen burn sucks.
Um, it would be great have a Guwange where the freaking scoreboard was hacked to display in numbers rather than characters!
*facepalm* That would of course be a huge improvement as well.
I swear Guwange Blue in MAME has something wrong with its frequency settings, every time I've run it it glitches in Stage 1 like it's skipping a frame........with no frameskip. Guwange itself works fine.

How does the 360 port go and display the numbers? If Guwange Blue's MAME ROM was taken from the 360 port (which displays in numbers) then it's probably a simple hack of some description to get it to behave the same in MAME too I would think.
hzt

Post by hzt »

Same! Same! Same! (Fire Shark) with all stage music replaced by a loop of 0:12-0:28 of this, with 0:44-0:58 for boss fights.
jpj

Post by jpj »

HSF2 where cpu can select non-ST versions, and all cps1 backgrounds and bonus stages are included
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

For those of you who really want their hacks, I'm now taking commissions for game hacking. http://daifukkat.su/2012/09/commissions/

Let's go! *let ass kick together*
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Roguelike Mario World. Not turn-based, obviously, but a generous set of generated levels, only suspend saves, and only one life. Upon completion, report score, completion time, and a "generator password" that lets others repeat the same levels. I suppose this is a bit ambitious for SNES specs, but I'm not aware of any outright showstoppers.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I have a small hack I'd love to see implemented in Batrider. In the special mode (hold a+b+c when booting) you can select any boss from special course. You'd think this is great, but the implementation is really stupid: you fight the selected boss twice, once at minimal rank (entirely too easy) and one at max rank (stupid hard and unlikely to be encountered in a real run). This makes it basically useless for practicing. So I'd like to see someone tweak this, setting the rank to some middle value. THEN you'd have a great Raizing practice tool. trap15, little side project? haha...
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ikari no Yousai / Operation Logic Bomb: SKIPPABLE FUCKING CUTSCENES. Hooooly crap, I'd probably like this if I didn't have to rewatch this vapid shit every time I play.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Mischief Maker wrote:Cho Ren Sha 68K:

Autofire, natch. My X-Arcade works by emulating keyboard input so joy2key is not an option
Seconding this too. I need to find some joystick solution for the x68000 that has autofire built in, I guess.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Pocky & Rocky: remove all the kill rooms so that stages aren't twice as long as they should be.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I would really like Super Mario Bros 3 with Super Mario Bros 1 physics. Surely some crazy person has done this but a quick google search came up empty.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

While playing Gun & Frontier, I had an idea.

Battle Garegga - Mr. Stoic ver.

* No rank, no need to suicide - only 3 extends in total so don't die!
* non-milkable bosses - instead of spewing out dense patterns if you try to milk it, the stage 1 boss blows up! Etc.
* All characters are available without needing the code input
* Demo screens doesn't display the BATTLE GAREGGA logo, just the title screen

Plays more like a fun, old school shmup with difficulty slowly ramping up no matter how many power-ups you pick up. Oh, medal scoring, flamingos and everything we love EXCEPT the changes above are intact.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

emphatic wrote:* No rank, no need to suicide - only 3 extends in total so don't die!
If you set the game to have no extends in the dipswitches, the rank will increase much slower than usual. Although I have no idea if it's possible to beat the game this way.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

There's also a MAME cheat to disable rank.

Sonic 3D Blast: I'd like graphics and special stages from the Saturn version with the soundtrack from the Genesis. It shouldn't be too hard to replace the tracks on a wav/cue rip, so I'll probably do this if I ever feel the urge to play through the game again.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
null1024

Post by null1024 »

emphatic wrote:While playing Gun & Frontier, I had an idea.

Battle Garegga - Mr. Stoic ver.

* No rank, no need to suicide - only 3 extends in total so don't die!
* non-milkable bosses - instead of spewing out dense patterns if you try to milk it, the stage 1 boss blows up! Etc.
* All characters are available without needing the code input
* Demo screens doesn't display the BATTLE GAREGGA logo, just the title screen

Plays more like a fun, old school shmup with difficulty slowly ramping up no matter how many power-ups you pick up. Oh, medal scoring, flamingos and everything we love EXCEPT the changes above are intact.
This sounds excellent. Never really got into Garegga because of the whole rank thing.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

These aren't desperate wishes or anything, just a few odds and ends that I wouldn't mind cleaned up.

Alisia Dragoon

-fix the medium height jump glitch, or move the landing crouch to max height only. Causing the player to land without a hitch at max and minimum height but stall at medium is totally counterintuitive and almost certainly a missed glitch.

-remove the stall when turning around. Easy to work around but you shouldn't have to.

-"expert mode" controls akin to Thunder Force V's, for use with the six-button pad. Realtime switching of familiars with one assigned to each button.

Zelda III

-pounded posts stay that way. Unlike blasting holes in mountainsides or grappling over ravines, there's no ongoing satisfaction in using a mallet to knock down tiny posts.

-SKIPPABLE CUTSCENES / INTERMISSIONS. This goes for OOT and MM as well. I single these three out because they're the only games in the series I own and they're dear to my heart, but holy crap. I don't give one shit about this series' "story," if I wanted to know I'd go to a Zelda forum and observe one of their savage nerdfights!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vampire Killer

-2P simultaneous mode would be rad. The notion never crossed my mind with the other oldschool Draculas and their solitary, methodical platforming. VK's increased pace, greater firepower on both sides, wild sense of destruction, prioritising of combat over platforming and balanced characters naturally suggest it.

I don't know if it'd be possible to balance for running on an actual MD without a lot of slowdown, but it's a fun idea for a possible ROMhack all the same.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

SD Gundam G Generation Overworld - bring back every game mechanics missing from the previous games (multi-hit weapons, hyper modes, MA form for almost every non-UC units, etc).
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

BIL wrote:Vampire Killer

-2P simultaneous mode would be rad. The notion never crossed my mind with the other oldschool Draculas and their solitary, methodical platforming. VK's increased pace, greater firepower on both sides, wild sense of destruction, prioritising of combat over platforming and balanced characters naturally suggest it.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4601/45555.png

I don't know if it'd be possible to balance for running on an actual MD without a lot of slowdown, but it's a fun idea for a possible ROMhack all the same.
That looks pretty awesome ... I should check out some CV games for the systems I never owned ... is there a good collection available for one of the newer consoles (PS1/2/3, Wii, Gamecube)?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sadly, no - literally the only CV retrospective to date is a bunch of shitty NES ROMs on a disc Konami put out for PC some years back. You can get Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood on the Wii's virtual console, though. Today's Konami would undoubtedly cock up a proper CV anthology, too. Would probably farm it out to the developers of Animal Soccer World.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wild Guns (SFC) MASSACRE / PECKINPAH FINALE MODE. Killing enemies slows the timer, rather than speeding it up, and causes the next wave to spawn in faster with the pattern repeating if the player runs it through. Vulcan meter builds at half rate and lasts half the duration.

Contra: The Hard Corps (MD) BIGGER AND HARDER CORPS MODE. Vicious rank affecting enemy spawn rate + aggression, bullet speed, boss pattern speed and density, etc, tied strictly to survival time. Max out after one level without deaths (losing a hitpoint doesn't reduce it). In this mode you play every single level consecutively with no credits. All weapons constantly available Shin Contra-style for maximum carnage. Cutscenes skippable.

It'd be great if this game could really strike back at an expert player.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Mega Man Battle Network 1
-Put in L escape. Seriously, every RPG ever lets you run, being an experimental title is no excuse for this.
-Give alternating palettes to separate Internet areas because nobody is autistic enough to differentiate them by just shapes.
-Make the bosses attack more aggressively. I understand this game is easier so that people could adjust to the brand new battle system but c'mon...
-10 duplicates deck limit? what could possibly go wrong with that?!
-Fix the battery puzzle in ElecMan's stage. That stuff is just dumb and annoying.
-Give ElecMan and BombMan more than 2 attacks they can cycle through...
-Just for shits 'n giggles: Make all enemy charge attacks (all 2 of 'em) unavoidable instant death without an Invis cloak active. Life Virus may finally stand a chance of giving you a game over!
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:-Give alternating palettes to separate Internet areas because nobody is autistic enough to differentiate them by just shapes.
That's the second time you've used autism in derogatory terms in only a dozen posts.

Do some reading and try to curb your adolescence.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:Sadly, no - literally the only CV retrospective to date is a bunch of shitty NES ROMs on a disc Konami put out for PC some years back. You can get Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood on the Wii's virtual console, though. Today's Konami would undoubtedly cock up a proper CV anthology, too. Would probably farm it out to the developers of Animal Soccer World.
but dude, it was Konami of HAWAI'I, I felt tropical just looking at that box. Also damn them for not making the Jackal ROM playable from the get-go. Interesting compilation but I stayed away from it.

On the other hand, the Konami LIVE USB controller thing seemed interesting for having apparently new (graphically) versions of games on it. I got one very cheap and it's sitting in its bubble, unused.

Also, for your bemusement, I present Kidzworld's review of the thing. Review probably needs an asterisk, while the temporal and cultural dissonance of the piece is hard to miss (as is the somewhat vague sense of a terrifying menace).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Also, for your bemusement, I present Kidzworld's review of the thing. Review probably needs an asterisk, while the temporal and cultural dissonance of the piece is hard to miss (as is the somewhat vague sense of a terrifying menace).

How'd I miss this when you posted it. :shock: Part of me is dying as I read that yet the feeling is perversely pleasurable. Brrr. It gives you the "411..." twice!

I had an online acquaintance who worked for Konami Hawaii, always had great stories about how the company turned to shit around the middle of the PS2 years.

A few DREAM HAX that come to mind from recent gaming sessions:

Elemental Master [MD] "arcade" difficulty setting with instant deaths and checkpoint restarts (add a life stock with a couple score extends and healthy remaining stock bonus, keep the shield item as-is). This would be on a par with Gun.Smoke for groundbased-vert terror. Speaking of which:

Gun.Smoke [AC] "Brokeblack Label" version with a boss timer (to nix the infinite milking), no powerup stacking (to put a nastier sting in checkpoint recovery) and drastically lower extend frequency (so you don't end up reaching the last stage with twenty or so lives in stock). And make the opening and intermissions skippable.

Splatterhouse Part 3 [MD] add a stomp / club attack making it possible to beat enemies who are on the floor. With the game interrupting your combo by sending a monster to the ground any time you inflict significant damage, and any time a weapon hit connects, it'd eliminate the slightly deflating stop-start effect. The fuckers deserve to get kicked when they're down too, this game's crowd AI is utterly evil. Also, red blood.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Noting this one down mostly because I don't know if I want to do it quite yet, and I don't want to forget about it :lol:

Rework Esper no Bouken Tai on Famicom to be significantly closer to Psychic 5
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Doki Doki Panic/SMB2 with co-op would be great. It was originally intended to be that way iirc, and a lot of the mechanics seem geared towards it.

A mashed-together game featuring all the best parts of Bubble Symphony, Bubble Memories and Bubble Bobble 2 NES would be super fun. With the ability to drop down through platforms!
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
KAI

Post by KAI »

Super Turbo with hops, hyper hops and air dashes.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

KAI wrote:Super Turbo with hops, hyper hops and air dashes.
Why does this sound so appealing?
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

blackoak wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:Cho Ren Sha 68K:

Autofire, natch. My X-Arcade works by emulating keyboard input so joy2key is not an option
Seconding this too. I need to find some joystick solution for the x68000 that has autofire built in, I guess.
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... eripherals

XO-1. Don't know where to find one; maybe you can get lucky on YAJ.

Alternatively, maybe somebody has a ready design for hacking a controller extension line with an autofire circuit on the appropriate pins.