Video Game Artwork

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Video Game Artwork

Post by BIL »

options

Post by options »

funny how the 'pow' mark emphasizes the least dynamic word of the title.

(as an aside, I completely forgot King made her debut in that game. ...I'm assuming that's supposed to be King.)
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

never knew David Bowie was in AOF. RIP
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

BIL wrote: Its legit baby! Image
Oh, for a moment I thought Capcom would be remaking Art of Fighting on Street Fighter V's engine. :(
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Just sold Battalion Wars 2 with only one regret - I'm gonna miss that boxart.

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Was just browsing Colored Points Of Light, a relatively small but very nice selection of animated gifs from a variety of games and platforms.

R-Type III's Bydo Mother is a cooler design than I'd given it credit for. I was unconsciously interpreting it as having eyes and a grinning "mouth," but looking at it properly it's quite the Faceless Horror.

A fucked-up battleship "X-MULTIPLY ST2" is approaching fast:
Spoiler
How I felt when I finished my MD collection, via the medium of GB Contra:

Also Bare Knuckle II

Genocide 2 opening
Spoiler
Really cool Harmony of Dissonance dimensional comparisons here. I dislike much about HOD, but when it's good it's good!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I don't have them screenshots handy, but was thinking the other day how monochromatic Game Boy R-Type reminds me of Alien 3 for GB - even that gen handheld games rarely display such excellent micro pixel art (mostly due to the tyranny of demand for biggest possible sprites).
It's hard to overestimate the seriousness of that condition - I for one never minded puny sprites terribly, but my (severely short-sighted) cousin remembers aesthetic contrast between lavish artwork accompanying games and the actual games bearing fuck all resemblance to the former as the most disappointing thing about gaming in general.
The way out is cut off

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

As a kid I always interpreted Bydo Mother's multi-armed nature as being a kind of twisted take on a hindu-esque god.

The venus fly trap head is also awesome.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:a kind of twisted take on a hindu-esque god.
Very cool, I can definitely see that!

I love the scabrousness of it. Gradius, Contra etc have endbosses that look like giant brains or hearts, "evil" in story context but really quite benign-looking. This thing truly looks like a malignant growth that's hijacked its host - as if, even amongst themselves, the Bydo persist by brutally appropriating whatever tissue is within reach. If you rotate it 90' clockwise, I notice the "chest" resembles a grimacing skull, making the "head" look even more like some ghastly mutation.

So rad. Even this dude looks more salubrious:
Spoiler
(anyone else think the artist was implying a bit of muff-diving on the lower-left there? >__> This part's DEFINITELY a wiener, trust me I'm a doctor ;3 ;3 ;3
Spoiler
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^Indeed. Gotta love how uncomfortable that uppermost arm on BM looks. The sprite work on the arms in particular is fantastic. They really have a great "recently birthed/formed" mucous-y look to them.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Recently picked this up - surprisingly smooth and involving Pole Position clone from the FC's second year. I love Nintendo's nascent "off-brand" attempts, ala Balloon Fight vs Joust. Box is a treat too, one of those unfettered early works that could just as easily herald a jigsaw puzzle or playing cards as a TV game. Classic shameless trademark stealing in effect, haha.

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

ImageWhy does it remind me of this?Image

If you can think of anything else following the pattern, please share.
The way out is cut off

null1024

Post by null1024 »

BIL wrote:Image

Recently picked this up - surprisingly smooth and involving Pole Position clone from the FC's second year. I love Nintendo's nascent "off-brand" attempts, ala Balloon Fight vs Joust. Box is a treat too, one of those unfettered early works that could just as easily herald a jigsaw puzzle or playing cards as a TV game. Classic shameless trademark stealing in effect, haha.

Having played the shit out of this game on a pirate Famiclone years ago, I only recently found out that it was never actually released on the NES in the west. Feels kind of weird.

edit: same with Sky Destroyer, which I noticed a page back :lol:
Used to play the crap out of it.
and today, I found out why the plane shot slower when the sky changed color --you need to deal with the red airplanes, and I never made the correlation
Last edited by null1024 on Thu May 19, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, I know! It feels every bit the archetypal black box NES game, down to the spartan "chunky logo on black bg" title screen with EASY/NORMAL/HARD selector. I love Nintendo's early, arcadier FC years. A bit like Sega's pre-Sonic MD output.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The way out is cut off

copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Not really an artwork, but this ad got me :lol:
Spoiler
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Image
Box is a treat too, one of those unfettered early works that could just as easily herald a jigsaw puzzle or playing cards as a TV game.
Or a game & watch game.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I wonder if the (supposed) "Marlboro" inscription can be deciphered/proven to be on there (doubt it).

This Kick Man cab's side!

The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:I wonder if the (supposed) "Marlboro" inscription can be deciphered/proven to be on there (doubt it).
It's definitely legible on the front of the car, curving over the "7." Click the second image for the full resolution - even on my current horrendously blurry stopgap screen I can see it. :wink: Check out the partially obscured logo on the back spoiler, too!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The way out is cut off

MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Ladies love Bomberman.

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Irem's Vigilante arcade flyer, or do owe it to Data East?

Even if the silhouettes' projection is not 100% academically correct here (not George Kamitani-bad; only just a little flattened, or maybe the projection IS correct but the models were posed awkwardly?), the whole picture is so striking I won't be surprised if it's already been posted here.
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

I've always liked the PCE cover - it's a simple composition that fits a jewel case nicely, and moreover it's just brutally suggestive. Kinda giallo-esque.

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Looks like a vinyl LP sleeve!
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, I was just thinking looking at it that yeah, I'd be totally down with an LP-sized version! :mrgreen:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Vigilante is my favorite Kung Fu knock off, in some ways I prefer it.

Love knocking the first boss down and then punching the shit out of him. Bonus points since his head actually gets knocked around.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

"Hey cmon! Bahaha - uuugh!"

It's actually Kung Fu's sequel. ;3 Kung Fu Master was the original arcade game by Irem, with Nintendo developing its NES port under a slightly different title. In Japan both the AC and FC versions actually use a Jackie Chan movie license, Spartan X, making them early-ish examples of Licensed Game That Don't Suck.

There's also FC and Game Boy Spartan/Kung Fu sequels, but neither's as good as the aforementioned unfortunately.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Holy fuck how did I never put 2 + 2 together (Irem)?

First boss is fun. Stage 2's bosses were great, especially for the time. 10 year old me was blown away by the fact that they flipped. 3 and 4 are monotonous as fuck, Sweep, walk away, repeat. Stage 5? Some terrible collision on that asshole. They wanted you to feed quarters:D

I do love the music though.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Famicom MagMax cover.

The way out is cut off