Twinkle Star Sprites - Neo Geo / Saturn

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
k2

Twinkle Star Sprites - Neo Geo / Saturn

Post by k2 »

Does anyone no much about this game? I think it was on the neo geo and converted to saturn - is it an RPG / Beat Em Up?

Thanks,

k2
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

It's a cute puzzle/shooter hybrid with competitive 2P gameplay. I haven't played it (yet), but from what I've heard it's apparently a lot of fun.

It originated on the Neo Geo and was ported to Saturn and Dreamcast.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

That's right -- originally for the NEO GEO, it was brought to the Saturn,
and then later on another version was also made for the Dreamcast.

I'd classify the game as a 1-on-1 versus shmup, like Change Air Blade.

there is a review of it on this site:

Twinklestar Sprites

The action in this game can get pretty intense at times...
k2

Post by k2 »

Thanks for the info. I will probably go for the saturn version.

cheers,

k2
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Supposedly the Saturn version is generally regarded as the better one, I think it has an extra character and a few other things, plus a second disc full of fan art and such. Though I think the DC version gets rid of the occasional slowdown present on the Saturn version.
icepick

Post by icepick »

I opened this game up (DC version) myself, just a day or two ago! Like certain games, it did take a second for me to get into, and I admit to feeling as though I had gotten myself into something for a while. I played a bit more, though, and had a good buddy to play against, and we stuck with it, and before you knew it, we were both saying "one more!~ just one more!" since he had to go. :lol:

It's got a pretty thought-out system, which we had to watch the 'how-to' for once or twice, and then play the game, and then watch it two more times (mostly for fun), and then play again. One thing that I have to say about the game (at least, the DC version) --spoiler?-- is that the soundtrack is freakin' rad. We played first using the ROM version, which thumped and sounded a lot more unruly than I was expecting. The ROM version HQ sounds like the first but better, and the bassline in some of the CD version songs completely rocks my eyeballs. :D

I suppose that this is like most games, but, I'd say that the level of enjoyment obtained from TSS is directly proportional to how good the players are. We started to get the hang of things, and were getting to the point where the screen was full of 'flamebirds' (not sure of what they're called) and special attacks and boss characters and such, on top of all of the regular enemies, and it does get pretty intense. Well worth the purchase, IMO! Give it a fair shot, and it'll make it worth your while, which it convinced me of.

As for versions... I would've preferred the Saturn version myself, but, it was much rarer and more expensive in comparison to the DC version when I was looking. So, since I'd rather play the game than not, I went for the DC version.

First post of mine on new shmups forum! 8)
\\ /\/\ \
greg

Post by greg »

Tons of fun. Actually, I don't think this really is an off-topic thread. It should count in the regular shmups forum, if you ask me. Baby Bonny Hood has this on the Saturn, but he doesn't seem to post on here anymore. He said that it has an exclusive, really cool FMV anime intro. It has different options with the gameplay and has an extra character or two, if I remember right. I have this for the Dreamcast, and I love it. Great with friends.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Yep,the Saturn version is really neat. The artwork and extra disc is well worth the price of admission alone.

Ask BulletMagnet more about it,I sold him my copy last year.

BIG-
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, indeed, I did buy the Saturn version from Mr. B, but seeing as I've never played the DC version I can't really say what's included there that wasn't in the other version, at least not without a lot of tedious imput from a DC TSS owner, heh.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I own both the DC release and the Neo-CD version (which is what I did my older replay from).

The DC version is something of a bare-bones port, featuring 3 modes of emulation and 3 different versions of the OST. Strangely, the DC version has actually become fairly rare and expensive.

The Neo-CD rev plays like the original cart, just with heavy loading. It does have an art gallery though.

I have played Saturn version too, which does include an FMV intro as well as an additional playable character and an art gallery.

I'd like to snag the Saturn version, as well as the MVS cart, at some point. However, the upcoming PS2 version which apparently will have on-line Vs capability does have my interest.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Kiken wrote:I own both the DC release and the Neo-CD version (which is what I did my older replay from).

The DC version is something of a bare-bones port, featuring 3 modes of emulation and 3 different versions of the OST. Strangely, the DC version has actually become fairly rare and expensive.

The Neo-CD rev plays like the original cart, just with heavy loading. It does have an art gallery though.

I have played Saturn version too, which does include an FMV intro as well as an additional playable character and an art gallery.

I'd like to snag the Saturn version, as well as the MVS cart, at some point. However, the upcoming PS2 version which apparently will have on-line Vs capability does have my interest.
Wow,TSS coming to PS2? Has it been confirmed? Any other Neo classics coming out for the PS2?

BIG-
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

TSS gets a LOT of competative play with all the neo fans here in Minnesota. Its a great game whan a lot of people who know what they are doing go at it.

I'd go as far as to buy the Neo AES version if I had the chance/money.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

BulletMagnet wrote:Heh, indeed, I did buy the Saturn version from Mr. B, but seeing as I've never played the DC version I can't really say what's included there that wasn't in the other version, at least not without a lot of tedious imput from a DC TSS owner, heh.
There's actually a DC vs Sat comparison FAQ available at GameFAQs.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

I would have gotten TSS long ago, but the competitive slant of the gameplay always makes me worry it won't get enough playtime, which is a major concern considering its fairly pricey. If only I had someone to play shmups with. :cry:
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

alpha5099 wrote:I would have gotten TSS long ago, but the competitive slant of the gameplay always makes me worry it won't get enough playtime, which is a major concern considering its fairly pricey. If only I had someone to play shmups with. :cry:
Yeah, I know the feelin'. :/

If it's any consollation, you could always try playing for score in 1P mode. (trying to get insanely high chains while in FEVER mode, shooting down consecutive Golem patterns perfectly, etc)

...however the CPU AI at time is kind of retarded. Your first opponent will most likely lose all comprehension of dodging your attack, and will also not shoot anything and just crash into Golems, once you hit 100,000 points.

You do get the rare tough first opponent (read: NOT Yan Yanyung) from time to time. I once scored a 46-hit chain on the first stage, only for Kim to uncharacteristically beat the living daylights outta me in the next match..

oh yeah. Someone move this to Shmups board. Since this is one. :D