shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14101
Location: Chicago
Deadwood is excellent on every level. Fantastic performances and sets throughout. The dialogue is next level... like native English speakers could have a hard time following at times. And yes, cancelled way too early. WTF HBO? Never knew they finally got off their asses w/ the movie. Good to hear, although I'm sure many have lost interest.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 7037
Xyga wrote:
I like shows loosely based on historical periods with high production value, but if at some point the story becomes too far-fetched or falls into lenghty soapy drama it tends to disappoint.

I would recommend the BBC-produced Gunpowder, Treason & Plot miniseries to you, then. Only 2 parts-long, so it doesn't outstay its welcome. Written by Jimmy McGovern, whom I'm not sure if I'd like meeting in person, but I do respect his rationale for abandoning Cracker (moreso than Granada TV's persistence of continuing the latter without him).
If not particularly "high production value", then at least an extremely solid TV job, as expected of BBC. You can keep Braveheart for all I care, I'd sooner re-watch this than that.
_________________
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:11 am 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 660
Location: Dallas, Texas
Xyga wrote:
How's Deadwood ?


Unlike Romes main characters, two soldiers Gaius wrote a bit about, Deadwood is supposedly accurate as there's quite a bit written about many of the characters.
Even if you don't place much stock in historical accuracy, it's worth watching for Ian McShane; his performance, particularly dialogue and delivery, are phenomenal.

True Detective - Good so far but goddamn it's moving slow.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:24 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14101
Location: Chicago
Ian McShane was for sure the best one. Most surprising performance for me was Stephen Tobolowsky. I never thought Needle Head Ned would have been so capable. Calamity Jane as well. Shit... really wish they'd have kept going.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:03 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 6319
Location: Craig's
Obiwanshinobi wrote:
I would recommend the BBC-produced Gunpowder, Treason & Plot miniseries

*adds to list* thanks!

rapoon wrote:
Unlike Romes main characters, two soldiers Gaius wrote a bit about, Deadwood is supposedly accurate as there's quite a bit written about many of the characters.
Even if you don't place much stock in historical accuracy, it's worth watching for Ian McShane; his performance, particularly dialogue and delivery, are phenomenal.

GaijinPunch wrote:
Ian McShane

Well that was one of the little issues with Rome, one character (also a villain) catching all the light in many episodes, and the supposed two MCs almost demoted to secondary roles because of that.

But yes I'm 5 episodes in Deadwood and he's good, no question.

I'm enjoying the show so far, how not to? shiet's been cooked with love.
I've always wanted to see the old west on screen in that fashion, a drama sure but with a significant effort at a realistic setting, you know, not another fantasy with John Wayne or C.Eastwood.

rapoon wrote:
True Detective - Good so far but goddamn it's moving slow.

Guess you mean season 3. Yes it's damn slow, but that's a characteristic of the franchise.
It is trying hard to copy s1, though what's coming is somewhat more predictable. Thankfully the MC is not quite another Rust Cohle or people would have called clone, but because the plot is so-so Mahershala is carrying the whole show on his shoulders.

On a side note, though not a period drama this is another show that grants the viewer another glimpse of US places tv/hollywood productions hardly ever show, and I think I understand why an American I know told me once where I live looks and feels a bit like the Ozarks (don't know how I should take this now lol :lol: )
_________________
mycophobia wrote:
have tyou ever played dodponpatchi


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:44 am 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 660
Location: Dallas, Texas
GaijinPunch wrote:
Ian McShane was for sure the best one. Most surprising performance for me was Stephen Tobolowsky. I never thought Needle Head Ned would have been so capable. Calamity Jane as well. Shit... really wish they'd have kept going.


Jane is exceptional and one of the most entertaining characters. The banter between her and the Doc is hysterical. Speaking of the Doc, and actors with previous roles that were significantly different: I set my mind in motion

Xyga, glad you're enjoying Deadwood, it only gets better. The worst part about the show is the abrupt ending already mentioned.

Yea, I was referring to Season 3 of TD. Mahershala is excellent. I've never thought much of Dorff (he's a spitting image of my father). heh, actually I watched The Gate between episodes a few days ago; that was a trip.
He's alright in Somewhere but that's that's likely due to his non-existent dialogue coupled with an excellent soundtrack.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14101
Location: Chicago
rapoon wrote:
Jane is exceptional and one of the most entertaining characters.


I love the fact that she's piss drunk and swears like a sailor consistently.

Quote:
and actors with previous roles that were significantly different: I set my mind in motion


I didn't realize until I read about the movie that it was Brad Dourif.

Quote:
Yea, I was referring to Season 3 of TD. Mahershala is excellent. I've never thought much of Dorff (he's a spitting image of my father). heh, actually I watched The Gate between episodes a few days ago; that was a trip.
He's alright in Somewhere but that's that's likely due to his non-existent dialogue coupled with an excellent soundtrack.


I think Dorff is holding his own. Maybe he's just a redneck with horrible fashion sense deep down?

It's a slow burn for sure... feels more like a character drama where the crime is more of a vehicle to explore racial tension in what is actually not that bizarre of a place to me (I was 5 years old, and about 300 miles from where the 1980 story takes place). A 30 minute drive from my home and you would probably not be able to tell the difference. You can confirm better than I, but now maybe drive an hour and it's the same scenario?
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 660
Location: Dallas, Texas
GaijinPunch wrote:

It's a slow burn for sure... feels more like a character drama where the crime is more of a vehicle to explore racial tension in what is actually not that bizarre of a place to me (I was 5 years old, and about 300 miles from where the 1980 story takes place). A 30 minute drive from my home and you would probably not be able to tell the difference. You can confirm better than I, but now maybe drive an hour and it's the same scenario?


The sprawl isn't moving east at the same rate it is north and west. I was in Garland till '85 and when driving through on my way to NOLA a few years ago, very little appeared to have changed. East Texas, West LA and AK, it all looks the same.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14101
Location: Chicago
rapoon wrote:
The sprawl isn't moving east at the same rate it is north and west. I was in Garland till '85 and when driving through on my way to NOLA a few years ago, very little appeared to have changed. East Texas, West LA and AK, it all looks the same.


Did we have this convo before? I grew up in Garland... left permanently in '93. Spending only 1 semester thereafter. My mother is just now getting rid of the house I grew up in. It's bitter sweet, but it will not appreciate any further. She's in South Garland, which as you may or may know, is pretty low-end these days.

Back on topic, the super bowl successfully bored the shit out of me to the point where I fell asleep like 3 times in last night's TD so I gotta watch it again.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 863
Location: Outer Heaven
Deadwood is fucking amazing.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 6319
Location: Craig's
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Deadwood is fucking amazing.

I'm at season 2 now. Yes it rocks.

But...
Spoiler: show
seriously ep2 of s2 was overkill, this particular episode ramps up the darkness and violence porn for some reason, changing the tone, then it goes back to cruise speed. Strange.
_________________
mycophobia wrote:
have tyou ever played dodponpatchi


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:40 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14101
Location: Chicago
There's one small part of one episode (season 2 I think?) that has really stuck with me. The US healthcare system is fucked up for sure, but good lordy back in the day...

Am I the only one that recognized the lady from Facts of Life that has cerebra palsy? God damn I'm old.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV you've just watched
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:19 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 7037
I am watching the TV play Sammy written by Ken Hughes, NOT its original, British screening from the year 1958 (I wonder if it's even preserved, considering the lost Doctor Who episodes misadventure), but the Polish one made A.D. 1962 (thus but a year before The Small World of Sammy Lee it eventually spawned), starring Zbigniew Cybulski. Who was one hell of an actor, but the cameraman did just as magnificent a job filming the stuff. In case you get the chance to watch it, well worth a go even without subtitles comprehensible to you (monodrama about a gambling addict in debt, making phone calls in an increasingly desperate attempt to save his own hide - it is all growing tension staged masterfully on a TV screen).
Quite a shame the DVD I've got is a quick cash grab rather than release the thing truly deserves (no subtitles of any kind, hardly any image or sound restoration), but infinitely better than no release at all.
_________________
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group