TV you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
vol.2

Re: TV you've just watched

Post by vol.2 »

I watched like the first 3 episodes of S2 and then got busy and forgot about it. I thought it was fine when I left off, but I guess the mystery had kinda dissipated somewhat.

I'll probably finish it, but I lost hulu when the ex gf moved out lol.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Mischief Maker wrote:Doom Patrol season 1 is great.

Season 2 and 3 fell off IMO.

Another case of "the mystery is solved... now what? Oh well, let's do callbacks to the favorite characters from Season 1. Remember DANNY????!!!!!!!!"
It's really more about character growth than any of the external conflicts. They're following the Morrisson run pretty closely in that respect, although the overarching plot there got fairly aimless at times too.

I actually prefer seasons 2 and 3 because Mr. Nobody never did much for me in either format.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just saw Wednesday on Netflix.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Finished Andor. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole first season. There was maybe one episode (9) that felt like an unnecessary holding pattern from the previous episode (as in nothing happened really, it was practically a recap episode) but other than that it was solid.

The one thing that kind of bugs me about it is that I don't see where they can go, or how far they can stretch out the story more than they already have. We all know that Andor ends up at the events of Rogue One, so the closer things get to that, the more claustrophobic the story becomes. I suppose they can always focus on other characters maybe.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just saw JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Tried Wednesday and I like it so far. The girl they chose to play Wednesday seems like a really good pick. The cheesy Adams Family jokes good fun. I've always been fascinated by Thing and it's great to see him back. Even though it seems targeted towards younger teens it's still holding my attention ok.

Lilyhammer is so hilarious. I'm about halfway through it now. So many memorable episodes. Fans of Fargo should probably give this one a shot.

Trying to finish up the last season of the Crown. This show is really well done. Sometimes it's a struggle to stay awake while watching it. Still quality stuff.
NYN

Re: better living through chemistry

Post by NYN »

I think we crashed with Season 5 of BB. In part my fault and that of the prick who thought of it.

We are watching the series on DVD. Here is your window to laugh about it, in case you need it. So, after finishing with the 4th season and leaving the Spoilernet out of it I went straight to the so-called THE FINAL SEASON, since it's very much self-evident. Right?

Wrong. As I'm sure most of you knew it, I went in blind.

Starting with THE FINAL SEASON we felt a certain disconnection to events. Not too strong you might say, yet enough to be noticeable. Emotions just didn't seem to fit. Events omited. There's no fun going on anymore (no, "Beaver" an' Petey nerding out on dope is NOT enough) Who are those people? Where the heck is Mike? But hey, we thought after stretching a fictional year over 4 years of production maybe there is finally a warped-time thing going on. Or maybe a back-and-forth telling. You know, to enhance the culmination. Puzzling. Stimulating. Rationalizing.

No. :evil:

After 4 eps, that is half of THE FINAL SEASON, I had to acknowledge my error. There is a "season" 'tween the 4th and THE FINAL SEASON, and it's called
THE FIFTH SEASON. Consisting of 8 eps of events we could not expect to anticipate.

Stop. Ordering THE FIFTH SEASON PART 1 to fill in the glaring gaps and then to pick up in the middle of THE FIFTH SEASON PART 2 to finish it.
I'm mad. At me for being uninformed and the prick who parted one year into two sets.

The fallout is that I spoiled and soiled myself, and knowing me it will influence my perspective on THE LAST YEAR as a whole. The gal tapped out of it at this point, seeing how her fave Pinkman gets ruined in the progression. She can't bring herself to care about those other creeps anymore. It's not enough. Can't really blame her. I'll finish it alone it seems.

Being prepared for BCS, we will start this together and see from there.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
BIL

Post by BIL »

Faaack, sorry to hear that bro. :o I can all-too-easily relate... a lot of my favourite shows (Sopranos, Fargo, BB+BCS) make clever use of that natural disconnect between seasons, or even eps. The uncertainty and dawning discovery of a good cold open pleases me like little else; that dreamlike unmooring, and sense of mise-en-scene in motion, as the fictional world gradually rematerialises. With many favourites, I've initially wondered "have I skipped something?"

Maybe you and your lady might return to BB after BCS? In my experience, most get the inclination to - I certainly did.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Starting watching Jojo's again. I had to take a break during season 3 because I got sick of it.

I still don't like Diamond is Unbreakable so much. There are some great characters, and some great episodes (maybe even some of the best and creepiest), but I don't much like the overarching story; I thought it was fairly weak and disorganized, and the best episodes were mostly non-main plot related (or could easily work as such).

Golden Wind on the other hand was fantastic, and I'm super glad I stuck with it; I burned through that season in like a week, and I'm watching Stone Ocean now. I don't really love the premise of being inside of a prison, but it's okay. It's absolutely not as compelling as Golden Wind though.
Lander

Post by Lander »

The Tyrant King; a 60s teen mystery crime miniseries from the same director as top british gangster flick Get Carter.

It's a six-episode, off-beat, interminably slow, uncannily edited, stock footage filled... Guerrilla advert for Transport For London.
Yes indeed, an informatic - thinly bookended with gangster intrigue - whose sinister true purpose is to demonstrate the tourist spots and reasonably-priced conveyance facilities available to a young adult in our fine capital, as our plucky protagonist trio travels the length and breadth of the city on the trail of the titular Tyrant King.
Spoiler
It's a Tyrannosaurus Rex at the Natural History Museum being used as hand-off spot for drugs. Congratulations, you are now less obligated to watch this bizarre piece of telly.
On the bright side, it probably played a part in said director ultimately getting the gig for Get Carter, indirectly leading Michael Caine to demonstrate the ultimate cockney martial art on the silver screen.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Lookism. I have no idea what to think of it, but honestly, I feel like they went too far with the bullying scenes.
NYN

Slip Jim and St. Hubbins

Post by NYN »

BIL wrote: I can all-too-easily relate...
:) Glad to hear that.

Though the opposite is never an alternative. Prefacing with "Previously" or "Erstwhile on" is an insult, on a weekly basis. Even Fargo did this.
"Yeah, folks, I sure can keep up with events. That is if you can bother to make it worthwhile, right?" Mutual agreement then.

Last season on Superfreaks... :?

BIL wrote:Maybe you and your lady might return to BB after BCS? In my experience, most get the inclination to - I certainly did.
Seeing what you mean, I certainly would be interested to pick up at things that were seeded on the other property, the galfriend can do without. While we watched all of The Wire and she was touched by this kind of "reality fiction", she said recently that she couldn't re-watch it. Meaning Season 4 in particular, I think. What happend to the boys was honest, yet too much for her even in fiction.

Imagine the comic-book seque trope "[Meanwhile...]" used in other forms of entertainment. :P

The first ep of BCS was a delight that hit all marks. The sad b/w beginning (the 'stache!), the first public defend (the creeps!), the first meeting of future heavies Jim and Mike (the stickers!) and the chaotic engineering (the con!). My fave scene was how, on a skate park hill, the wise man relates, to the choir of two, THE LEGEND OF SLIPPIN' JIMMY ("The corner boys high-fived him! The babes smiled at him!"), while being nervous about skaters and bikers jumping behind his back. So funny.
Special mention of Michael McKean, the former descendent of the patron saint of quality footware! Stunning!

Looking forward to more!
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Air Master Burst

Re: Slip Jim and St. Hubbins

NYN wrote: Though the opposite is never an alternative. Prefacing with "Previously" or "Erstwhile on" is an insult, on a weekly basis. Even Fargo did this.
"Yeah, folks, I sure can keep up with events. That is if you can bother to make it worthwhile, right?" Mutual agreement then.
It can be fun when shows use alternate takes and/or well-written in-character narration, but most shows are far too lazy for this.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I also saw Dragon Age: Absolution today.
Air Master Burst

Willow is very good so far, although I can already hear the "up yours woke moralists" crowd screaming into the void about yet another kick to the childhood. The three main younger leads are all women, and Madmartigan's son gets to twirl his sword and act like a badass for like 5 minutes before getting kidnapped and tower-princessed.

The Madmartigan replacement (I know, but Val's really not up to it these days) is actually pretty good! He has a cool cleaver sword and an incredibly luxurious moustache that I bet feels nice tickling the back of your neck. Good comic timing, very charming fellow, and even hotter than Val ever was.

Willow's back and is a pretty good evolution of the character! Same charming mix of overconfidence and frustration at the large idiots surrounding him, but with a couple decades of actual magical training to balance things out. Davis clearly spent a lot of time developing the part and it really shows.

It's still obviously aimed at kids, but it's a lot of fun anyway. Definitely in the spirit of the original. Bonus points this week for introducing one of the incredibly annoying side characters these movies/shows always seem to love and then KILLING THEM OFF WITHIN 5 MINUTES! That shit was some great catharsis.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I’m done with I’m the Mistress, So I’m Taming the Final Boss. Pretty good anime.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just saw Gudetama: An Eggcellent Adventure on Netflix.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Still enjoying "The Peripheral".

Has some hard violence in it, seen some stabbing that made me wince a bit. Loving the cross Atlantic cast and I have no idea where the story is going and one of the main characters just killed themselves I think.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Finished another anime, Reincarnated As a Sword.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special 5/10

I know I should have expected it to be stupid, but it blew away any expectations for how dumb it could get. There were a couple the most cringingly terrible songs interspersed with gratuitous xmas references and a couple of animated scenes that were clearly done to save money on live action work.

However, there were a couple of funny moments and it felt fun and festive in spite of how terrible it all felt. I was brought back in some ways to the 1980s TV xmas specials featuring various popular musicians and actors behaving childishly. It was terrible, but I'm glad I watched it. Also, there is one genuinely salient plot point that it addressed in the wider GOTG continuity, so you might want to watch it if you care about any of that stuff.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just got done with the first 8 episodes of Sonic Prime.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Wednesday

In the never ending quest to turn anything remotely popular into some sort of cinematic universe, Wednesday Addams gets her own CW style drama on Netflix. After being expelled from high school for throwing a few piranhas in the swimming pool she gets sent (along with Thing for some reason) to a boarding school for similarly creepy types, and starts becoming a tad psychic in the process. When people start getting murdered by some creature in the woods she has to solve the crime that the normie sheriff doesn't seem to want to bother with. Features some cameos of a badly miscast version of Gomez Addams and a slightly better cast version of Morticia (then again, it's basically impossible to imagine anyone besides Raul Julia in the role now) as an episode is devoted to debasing popular characters with unnecessary backstory.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
null1024

Post by null1024 »

xxx1993 wrote:Just got done with the first 8 episodes of Sonic Prime.
Any good or what? Vaguely curious, but I'd need to bum off a buddy's Netflix to see it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

null1024 wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Just got done with the first 8 episodes of Sonic Prime.
Any good or what? Vaguely curious, but I'd need to bum off a buddy's Netflix to see it.
It's fine so far. I also saw the Arknights anime, a second season has already been announced.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Got done with another anime, I've Somehow Gotten Stronger When I Improved My Farm-Related Skills.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That's a pretty daft title TBH, farmwork will make you strong as fuck. Stronger than you were, anyway! And better at timekeeping and other logistical skills, too!
Lander

Gormless Anime Nomenclature

Post by Lander »

Is It Wrong To Ask Silly Questions In A Title is worth a watch.

Meanwhile, Nihei-san had this shit figured years ago.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I honestly don’t know what I thought of it, though.
Spoiler
Especially considering it’s yet another anime that ends on a cliffhanger and the little sister thought to be dead years ago has suddenly resurrected to become the villain.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Management of a Novice Alchemist was a pretty good anime. Reminded me so much of the Atelier franchise.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I’m watching Bastard!! God of Destruction on Netflix. It’s delightfully bonkers. The optional meta-game of spotting all the Metal references adds an additional layer of fun to the proceedings, as does the gratuitous amount of T&A. I’m not sure how long this will last, and whether it’ll get old at some point, but for now it’s surprisingly entertaining.