Nintendo 3DS (XL)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Friendly

Nintendo 3DS (XL)

Post by Friendly »

http://nintendoeverything.com/92193/nin ... -revision/

It's basically what DSi XL (LL) was to DSi.

It has larger screens (same resolution as before), but no second analog stick. And of course it remains the only region locked handheld in existence (if you don't count DSi).

Customer rape incoming: 3DS XL won't come with an a/c adapter in Europe, you need to buy it separately. I kid you not.
It's compatible with DSi/XL a/c adapters, so most people probably have one already. But still. WTF?
Last edited by Friendly on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Turrican

Re: Nintendo 3DS (XL) Revision Incoming. No Second Analog Stick

Post by Turrican »

is it me, or at DS's first hardware revision (that's be the lite), there was already a huge library of good-to-great titles for the system, many of which are now considered classics?
X - P - B
guigui

Post by guigui »

3DS XL ? That is what my growing old eyes were waiting for me to buy yet another region locked console, yay !
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

What`s even the point of this piece of junk? The screen is still the same pathetically low resolution as the original 3DS, only it`s bigger now meaning things will look even blurrier. No second analog stick(also, doesn`t look like it`s compatible with Circle Pro). And the thing looks ugly as hell too.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

The region locking pisses me off most. What if you are in Europe but want to play a game released only in America? It happened plenty of times during the DS-era that cool Japanese games were only localized in the US. What about interesting Japanese imports?

You basically have to buy the same handheld twice (or even 3 times if you are in Europe, because if you only got an American and a Japanese 3DS, you wouldn't be able to pick up any games locally). That's just awful. I'll continue to wait for a hack. If none ever materializes, then most likely I'll sit the 3DS-generation out and only pick up a 3DS from every region (if there is reason to do so) long after Nintendo's next handheld is released.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

So glad I never have any intention of ever buying a NCL handheld product.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Teufel_in_Blau

Post by Teufel_in_Blau »

The AC adapter is being sold separately for Europe and Japan. In North America, the AC adapter is included.
Nintendo is trolling again. Why would you sell a handheld without an AC adapter?
It's compatible with DSi/XL a/c adapters
Is it compatible with the fat first gen DS adapters? I lost mine and thinking about to buy a new one, so I would probably get this monstrosity since it hurts me to see my DS game collection collecting dust. :(
GaijinPunch wrote:I don't have 40 minutes to do anything other than fist myself these days.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Yay, I knew my patience holding off on buying a 3DS would be rewarded soon enough! Will definitely be getting this now, I'm itching to finally replay Ocarina again and get my hands on the new Mario game.

Fingers crossed for an LE that makes the case a little less plain.

And yes, fucking region locking. :evil:

Edit: on a side note, does anyone know if Asian software (as in stuff released in Hong Kong) is compatible with Euro/UK systems as has been in the past?

Thanks.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Teufel_in_Blau wrote:
The AC adapter is being sold separately for Europe and Japan. In North America, the AC adapter is included.
Nintendo is trolling again. Why would you sell a handheld without an AC adapter?
Why would you sell a handheld (a device people take with them when travelling to different regions) with region lock?
Teufel_in_Blau wrote:
It's compatible with DSi/XL a/c adapters
Is it compatible with the fat first gen DS adapters? I lost mine and thinking about to buy a new one, so I would probably get this monstrosity since it hurts me to see my DS game collection collecting dust. :(
No, DSi/DSi XL/3DS/3DS XL have a different socket than DS/DS Lite.

You know, there should really be a law forcing all makers of handheld devices to use the same plugs for a/c adapters, eg those mini-USB ports that the EU forced on smartphones. It's awesome that at least for phones you no longer need different adapters for every new device.

While we are at it, region-locking needs to be outlawed, plain and simple. There is no excuse for this anti-consumer bullshit.
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

Pisses me off that NoA hates white. The Japanese white one looks gorgeous. I have a JP and a US unit, so I'll definitely wait on reviews. I'll most likely replace my US unit first because the Circle Pad Pro compatible games I have are Japanese. Makes no sense to release this without a second pad though. It would have been a huge selling point. I guess they will release an XL unit with a second pad down the line though.

It's weird that they won't include an AC adapter in Europe. They will for the US and I can kinda understand why they're not including one in Japan.

Friendly: While I agree that region locks in general is dumb as all hell, your argument about people taking their 3DS on travels to other regions make no sense. Most people take games with them on their travels if they're bringing a handheld with them. The 3DS is cheap enough to double dip now anyway, not that that can be used as an argument in itself.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Nico87 wrote:Circle Pad Pro
Every time I hear this I keep thinking of that damn infomercial.

Often Europe gets the same colour handhelds as Japan, so I'm hoping we get white too. However, I'm a bit torn between the white and the red/black. My 25th Anniv. DSi LL is the same colour and it looks great, but I'm unsure if we'll even get the option.

Either way, the big screen looks sexy, hopefully it will make the 3D more impressive and easier on the eye. I always thought it was a good effect, but the size of the screen wasted it.
Friendly: While I agree that region locks in general is dumb as all hell, your argument about people taking their 3DS on travels to other regions make no sense. Most people take games with them on their travels if they're bringing a handheld with them.
I can't stand region locking though, it just ruins the opportunity to access a wider market, while abroad or buying online. :(

"on a side note, does anyone know if Asian software (as in stuff released in Hong Kong) is compatible with Euro/UK systems as has been in the past?"

Anyone?

njiska

Post by njiska »

Serious question. Are we sure Nintendo is saying it doesn't come with an adapter (which would be complete bullshit and may violate consumer protection as it has a built-in battery) or are they saying it won't come with a DOCK. Keep in mind the current 3DS comes with a dock, but the adapter can plug directly into the unit. As the dock is a convenience (and clearly in that box), but the adapter is a necessity, it would make way more sense to me for them to be selling it sans dock rather than sans adapter.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Why does Friendly have to put a negative comment in the thread title of any console not relating to Sony? :idea:

The Vita thread isn't called: "The PS Vita appreciation thread for a console with no games that anyone wants to play."

Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Skykid wrote:Why does Friendly have to put a negative comment in the thread title of any console not relating to Sony? :idea:

The Vita thread isn't called: "The PS Vita appreciation thread for a console with no games that anyone wants to play."
"no second analog stick" isn't a comment. it's a fact.
X - P - B
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Turrican wrote:
Skykid wrote:Why does Friendly have to put a negative comment in the thread title of any console not relating to Sony? :idea:

"no second analog stick" isn't a comment. it's a fact.
And it's also a comment. It's not hard to put the information relating to the machine in the OP and just leave the thread title clean.

MX7

Post by MX7 »

Why would it even need a second analogue stick? No other Nintendo handhelds have had one, and Nintendo handhelds have consistently better games than other handhelds, even other consoles. PSP and Vita are supremely boring precisely because the dual analogue setup just means that they're a dumping ground for shitty Playstation ports. Can't fucking wait to play Final Fantasy 10 in the bath. Yawn.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the fact that it's region locked I'd be over this model like anything. Quite a few upcoming 3DS games I'm damned excited about, loads more I need to catch up with, and obviously an opportunity to play the DS's formidable back catalogue on a meaty screen :D
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Jesus almighty they do these quick. There isn't even a chinpokomon/Etrian Odyssey/anything really for the system yet. Nintendo is on meth.
Jonathan Ingram wrote:What`s even the point of this piece of junk? The screen is still the same pathetically low resolution as the original 3DS, only it`s bigger now meaning things will look even blurrier.
So you... can actually see shit a little better when it's further away? Historically we haven't used displays that are precisely the same as a system's resolution. Never played DQ4 with it being this size:

PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BryanM wrote:Jesus almighty they do these quick.
Lol, right on time for Nintendo! How long did it take them to revise the GBA and DS, it couldn't have been too much longer?

I was banking on a revision this year, even though I came really close to dropping cash on a 3DS several times. Glad I held out.

...Wonder if Vanillaware would consider porting Demon's Crown to this, that would look mighty interesting in 3D.

Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Interesting... Mayhap I'll pick up a used original 3DS in the near future. Price is bound to plummet. Although I'll probably wait for a must-play title to come out first. (Looking at you, NSMB2).
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Jonathan Ingram

MX7 wrote:Why would it even need a second analogue stick? No other Nintendo handhelds have had one, and Nintendo handhelds have consistently better games than other handhelds, even other consoles. PSP and Vita are supremely boring precisely because the dual analogue setup just means that they're a dumping ground for shitty Playstation ports. Can't fucking wait to play Final Fantasy 10 in the bath. Yawn.
A second analog stick is more or less a requirement for any game with a third-person perspective and camera controls. Arguing otherwise and trying to make up excuses for the lack of it is just stupid.

Previous Nintendo handhelds didn`t have one, because you don`t need camera controls with 2D games. The 3DS is the first Nintendo handheld capable of producing decent 3D graphics, hence the need for a second analog stick. Quite a number of PSP games were a real chore to play because the system didn`t have a second stick - Monster Hunter, Gods Eater Burst, MGS: Peace Walker, to name a few. It was a truly amazing lack of insight and long term thinking on Nintendo`s part to release a follow-up system to the DS and have it feature only one analog stick after how much flak the PSP had got.

If anyone`s gonna be getting shitty Playstation ports, it`s the 3DS. The ones for Vita are actually good. Case in point Snake Eater 3D. It looks like ass, runs like ass(sub 20 fps) and controls like ass(because of no second analog stick, of course). I`m playing MGS HD Collection for Vita right now and words can`t describe how much better an experience it is compared to Snake Eater 3D.
Can't fucking wait to play Final Fantasy 10 in the bath. Yawn.
But thrilled for the 3DS versions of Ocarina of Time(N64), Tales of the Abyss(PS2), Devil Survivor Overclocked(a straight-up DS port lol) and Monster Hunter Tri G(Wii), am I right? Also, FFX has fixed camera angles and the second analog stick isn`t used for anything(IIRC), so why was it even brought up in the first place?
BryanM wrote:So you... can actually see shit a little better when it's further away?
The 3DS` screen resolution is inadequate for the quality of graphics the system can produce. Yes, this new revision will make things easier to see, but the image quality will be even worse.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I'm stoked for this. Just debating which region to go for, but not debating which games. I'll try to pick one up with:

- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Ocarina
- Mario 3D land
- NSMB2
- Mario Kart 7

That's a lot of Mario.

Now where the fuck is my F-Zero? :|

Jonathan Ingram

Skykid wrote:Now where the fuck is my F-Zero? :|
Here it is:
^
Will never be topped.

The best F-Zero is a Sega made F-Zero. Praise be to Nagoshi-sama!
Not sure if Nintendo making another F-Zero game is a good idea unless they outsource it to Nagoshi and his team again(I doubt he is still interested in making arcade-style racers though).
louisg

Post by louisg »

A second analog stick is more or less a requirement for any game with a third-person perspective and camera controls. Arguing otherwise and trying to make up excuses for the lack of it is just stupid.
For the most part, you're right. But, it depends on whether you can, for example, control the walking in an FPS using the 4 face buttons (keeping in mind that WASD controls are digital too). For racing games, it doesn't matter much either. I agree generally that it's preferable, but it's possible to design well-controlling 3d games that don't need it. N64 and Dreamcast 3d games were plenty playable, and there were plenty of good games on the PS1 and Saturn which didn't need dual analog either (which didn't come out until late on PS1 AFAIR, and Saturn only had the one stick eventually). Finally, there are Wii games like Zelda and Mario Galaxy which only use a single analog control.

EDIT: And keep in mind that there's also an analog touch screen to use!
Humans, think about what you have done
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

louisg wrote:
For the most part, you're right. But, it depends on whether you can, for example, control the walking in an FPS using the 4 face buttons (keeping in mind that WASD controls are digital too).
I concur. I was going to say the N64 had only a single analog nub but I found the 3D controllability in many of its games some of the most solid I've encountered. I don't know whether that was purely down to first-party ingenuity, but since it's the same first-party for 3DS I don't think there's any need for panic.

When it comes to designing controller interfaces I have more faith in Nintendo than any other manufacturer.

Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

The 3DS has a touch screen, which is an adequate substitute for a second stick when it comes to camera controls. Both the Dreamcast and PSP lacked this. N64 did okay with arrow buttons. For FPSs, a touch screen isn't adequate (setting aside for the moment that dual analogues aren't really either, and that the audience dumb enough to want to play these games on handhelds with console controls is fortunately small). A stick will be missed on games like Luigi's Mansion though.

Re:F-Zero GX has worse gameplay than X due to the broken snaking physics, unfortunately, and it sticks so closely in all other respects to the model that X provided that it can scarcely be considered an original work, let alone some unparalleled work of genius. It also lacks the X Cup and has worse music. Not that Nintendo would ever develop another F-Zero in-house again - once they start out-sourcing stuff it seems like they're done with it in terms of putting in-house devs on it. I can see them giving it to the Monster guys, who are quite capable.
Last edited by Drum on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
louisg

Post by louisg »

I'd also make the argument that if a 3rd person 3d game needs a player to constantly be adjusting the camera-- essentially paying as much attention to camera movement as to their character's movement-- that there's some kind of design failure here. I do realize not every developer can put really great camera movement into their game because it's freaking *hard*, but often it seems like user-operated camera control is really just a work-around for a bug.
Jonathan Ingram

louisg wrote:For the most part, you're right. But, it depends on whether you can, for example, control the walking in an FPS using the 4 face buttons (keeping in mind that WASD controls are digital too). For racing games, it doesn't matter much either. I agree generally that it's preferable, but it's possible to design well-controlling 3d games that don't need it. N64 and Dreamcast 3d games were plenty playable, and there were plenty of good games on the PS1 and Saturn which didn't need dual analog either (which didn't come out until late on PS1 AFAIR, and Saturn only had the one stick eventually).
Sure, there are genres that don`t need the second analog stick by their very nature(like racing games which you have already mentioned). Games with fixed camera angles don`t need one either. But that doesn`t mean that it`s not pretty much a requirement for a very large number of games produced these days. If it wasn`t, Nintendo wouldn`t have bothered producing that ugly add-on. Monster Hunter 3G, the most popular third-party game for the 3DS, would be utter crap without it. Just like the PSP Monster Hunter games had been before it when you had to use the D-pad to control the camera which lead to the infamous "claw" control method coming in existence.

And I disagree on Dreamcast games. Many of them would`ve definitely benefited from the second analog stick. Jet Set Radio in particular would`ve been a much better game. IIRC, it lacked any means of controlling the camera save for the "position the camera in front of you" button. Truly horrid stuff.

Still, I don`t see why it`s even an argument. The second analog has been a norm since forever and should be taken for granted these days. All Nintendo has done is created problems for developers and inconvenience for its customers. There`s no reason why they shouldn`t have included the second analog stick in the original 3DS design, but alas, that`s exactly what they did.
Finally, there are Wii games like Zelda and Mario Galaxy which only use a single analog control.
They don`t. The Wiimote is used as a substitute for the second stick in this case, and a poor one at that given how you can`t freely rotate the camera around your character(compare Zelda TP(GC) to Zelda TP(Wii) and Okami(PS2) to Okami(Wii)).
Jonathan Ingram

Drum wrote:Re:F-Zero GX has worse gameplay than X due to the broken snaking physics, unfortunately, and it sticks so closely in all other respects to the model that X provided that it can scarcely be considered an original work, let alone some unparalleled work of genius. It also lacks the X Cup and has worse music. Not that Nintendo would ever develop another F-Zero in-house again - once they start out-sourcing stuff it seems like they're done with it in terms of putting in-house devs on it. I can see them giving it to the Monster guys, who are quite capable.
Snaking is cheating, pure and simple. I wouldn`t even have learned about it had I not read about it on the internet. It`s also a bit tricky to pull off and not everybody can do it either. I cleared the entire game without ever having to resort to snaking.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Jonathan Ingram wrote: Monster Hunter 3G, the most popular third-party game for the 3DS, would be utter crap without it. Just like the PSP Monster Hunter games had been before it when you had to use the D-pad to control the camera which lead to the infamous "claw" control method coming in existence.
My impression is that the second stick was pretty much made for MH3G, because it's such a big seller. The fact that this new model doesn't have a second stick seems to imply that there are no plans to widely support it.
And I disagree on Dreamcast games. Many of them would`ve definitely benefited from the second analog stick. Jet Set Radio in particular would`ve been a much better game. IIRC, it lacked any means of controlling the camera save for the "position the camera in front of you" button. Truly horrid stuff.
JSR has always bugged me. But they also didn't bother to put more than one camera control in-- something that is certainly possible even without a second analog stick (IIRC they didn't even use all the buttons in that game). And the camera in that game was genuinely bad in a way that Tony Hawk's camera (as just one example) never was.
Still, I don`t see why it`s even an argument. The second analog has been a norm since forever and should be taken for granted these days. All Nintendo has done is created problems for developers and inconvenience for its customers. There`s no reason why they shouldn`t have included the second analog stick in the original 3DS design, but alas, that`s exactly what they did.
Yep, it would've been ideal. Like I pointed out, smart camera is hard to implement (or impossible if you want a completely 100% open level design), so it would be good for those games, or for devs who aren't up to the task. I'd still argue though that having to ride the camera constantly takes you out of the game a bit, so I'd rank the solutions from ideal to least ideal: 1.) Smart camera which never or rarely needs player interaction 2.) Second stick to point the camera where you need it (or at least some means of swiveling the camera), and lastly, the worst, problematic cameras with no way of adjusting them (or way too limited control, like in JSR).
Finally, there are Wii games like Zelda and Mario Galaxy which only use a single analog control.
They don`t. The Wiimote is used as a substitute for the second stick in this case, and a poor one at that given how you can`t freely rotate the camera around your character(compare Zelda TP(GC) to Zelda TP(Wii) and Okami(PS2) to Okami(Wii)).
All you use the Wiimote for in Galaxy is to point at stars. It's not really used in movement-- that is mapped to the digital D-pad buttons IIRC (which could've just been triggers since so much of the action happens on a plane). It's actually never been an issue for me in all the time I've spent with Galaxy, and didn't bug me in Zelda from what little I played of it. I've logged a lot of time on Galaxy, too-- played through 1 and beat 2 twice.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

If Nintendo localizes the new Fire Emblem and adds the second analog stick, I'm down. Until then, mega pass.