Nintendo 3DS (XL)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
soprano1

Re: Nintendo 3DS (XL)

Post by soprano1 »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
soprano1 wrote:Need some opinions, Rune Factory 4 or Story of Seasons?

They are both good games. If you want a pure farming sim, Story of Seasons would be my pick. But Rune Factory offers some rpg/dungeon exploring that Seasons does not, and its farming stuff is still good.
Thanks for the reply!
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

So I recently decided that I should actually try playing some 3DS games. I'm thinking I don't need a New 3DS XL, but the screen quality of my 3DS XL is well, terrible. I'm not going to bother hunting down an IPS screen, so my question is: is there a huge quality difference between a 3DS XL TN panel and a New 3DS XL TN panel?

Planning to replace the top screen lens on my 3DS XL that have been scratched up by Nintendo's patented self-scratching screen system design and also get rid of a pretty large piece of dust stuck under it (not my fault, came that way from retailer). Anyone tried doing this? I've done the same replacement on my PSP, but doing it on the 3DS XL involves dealing with more adhesive and less screws :(
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I haven't compared them myself, but I don't recall an improved screen being on the list of bullet points for the New 3DS; IIRC it was mainly a bit of extra horsepower and the second analog nub, but someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ZellSF wrote:is there a huge quality difference between a 3DS XL TN panel and a New 3DS XL TN panel?
No. Main differences are the ones written by Bullet.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

A few questions...

Has anyone here played Blaster Master Zero? I haven't seen any discussion of the game here (unless it's in the NX thread), but the game is REALLY good. I think it's an improvement on the first one, in most ways. I had a lot of fun with it.

Also, I know that we can't get into specifics, but is it hard to mod a New 3DS XL? I'm wanting to specifically for some games I don't want to support the NA versions of (you can guess). I want to get the JP ones, and get some translation patches.

I've read various things. Is it uber-tricky? Once again, I am not asking for a tutorial here. I know it's against the rules. :lol:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:A few questions...

Has anyone here played Blaster Master Zero? I haven't seen any discussion of the game here (unless it's in the NX thread), but the game is REALLY good. I think it's an improvement on the first one, in most ways. I had a lot of fun with it.

Also, I know that we can't get into specifics, but is it hard to mod a New 3DS XL? I'm wanting to specifically for some games I don't want to support the NA versions of (you can guess). I want to get the JP ones, and get some translation patches.

I've read various things. Is it uber-tricky? Once again, I am not asking for a tutorial here. I know it's against the rules. :lol:
Yeah, because of the rules it's hard to explain. However, i can say that if your firmware is 11.2.0-35 or less, you can follow a guide. You can google 3ds guide. I guess that's all i can say.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I posted some stuff about it here.

I don't think the action is as good as the first game, but it's overall a very solid little companion title that I enjoy greatly. Definitely recommended.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The guide to do it can be a bit intimidating since there's a lot of steps, but it's pretty easy, just a bit time consuming. Just don't update to the latest FW version.

If you're buying the Japanese version of Fire Emblem Fates over the US one to send a message, I can pretty much guarantee you that's a message that's not going to be heard. If that's your main concern, I'd say you're wasting time. If you just want the cut content or an alternate translation then that's reasonable of course.

On the topic of fan translations, anyone here has an opinion on Beyond the Labyrinth?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ZellSF wrote:If you're buying the Japanese version of Fire Emblem Fates over the US one to send a message, I can pretty much guarantee you that's a message that's not going to be heard.
This is true, unfortunately. :(
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Thanks for the advice. I am updated to the latest firmware though.

Will I just have to wait until someone finds an exploit for it?

Also, I primarily just want the JP translations and content.
And yeah, I know Nintendo won't care (do they EVER listen to fans?). But it would really piss me off to give NoA money for their "localizations".

It's bad enough they cut stuff out, but the Tumblr-y writing in FEF is enough to make me sick. No thanks.

I'm more than happy to buy the JP versions.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Thanks for the advice. I am updated to the latest firmware though.

Will I just have to wait until someone finds an exploit for it?

Also, I primarily just want the JP translations and content.
And yeah, I know Nintendo won't care (do they EVER listen to fans?). But it would really piss me off to give NoA money for their "localizations".

It's bad enough they cut stuff out, but the Tumblr-y writing in FEF is enough to make me sick. No thanks.

I'm more than happy to buy the JP versions.
If you are on latest, I believe you can run a exploit that allows you to load that certain channel. That lets you run games from different regions. As for translation patches, only with custom firmware installed, so that's out for you.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Firmware 11.4 released. It fixes a private kernel exploit that's now available, so guides for hacking 11.3 should be up soon.

Took the opportunity to order a New 3DS XL now, since I can get one locally get benefits of being able to return it in case of QA issues and a warranty without losing the ability to play US/JP exclusives since all 3DS that are in stores now should be region moddable.

And I'm so worried about QA issues. Inconsistent screens, pixel faults, debris under the screen. I do not envy the crazies who try to go for a perfect IPS screen (I'll settle for a good TN).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ZellSF wrote: If you're buying the Japanese version of Fire Emblem Fates over the US one to send a message, I can pretty much guarantee you that's a message that's not going to be heard.
I find NoA very perplexing these says. Most of their PR excuses make zero sense. If there is an off chance that the message is heard, it's most likely to be replied to with another nonsense excuse and ignored. Seriously, Nintendo's response to the smaller new 3DS not initially releasing in the US is telling people that the new 3DS offers more variety.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I've been playing Fire Emblem Awakening. Is saving your future kids supposed to be this tough? Maybe I'm underleveled.
The amount of enemies they are throwing at me is nuts.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Quite a few have you outnumbered from the off or overwhelm you with reinforcements (or both!) but some of them are doable earlier on. You can exploit the AI to make a few of them trivial via weaknesses - watch flying units throw themselves at a strong wind equipped mage, for instance.

You need to level up a lot for many of them though, so don"t be too disheartened.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Quite a few have you outnumbered from the off or overwhelm you with reinforcements (or both!) but some of them are doable earlier on. You can exploit the AI to make a few of them trivial via weaknesses - watch flying units throw themselves at a strong wind equipped mage, for instance.

You need to level up a lot for many of them though, so don"t be too disheartened.
I'll put some work into it. I took the risk, when I chose the "hard" difficulty.
But these rescue missions seem a bit amped up, from the main missions. I want to save them all! I went thru the trouble of getting their parents to fall in love, dammit! :lol:
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

A lot of them are tougher than most of the story chapters but you can check out each map first and see what level the enemies are at. That'll give you a decent idea of where you need to be - don't be afraid to do more of the story, you can rescue them all but by the end of it a few will require effort to get any use out of.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

ZellSF wrote:Firmware 11.4 released. It fixes a private kernel exploit that's now available, so guides for hacking 11.3 should be up soon.

Took the opportunity to order a New 3DS XL now, since I can get one locally get benefits of being able to return it in case of QA issues and a warranty without losing the ability to play US/JP exclusives since all 3DS that are in stores now should be region moddable.

And I'm so worried about QA issues. Inconsistent screens, pixel faults, debris under the screen. I do not envy the crazies who try to go for a perfect IPS screen (I'll settle for a good TN).
I got my backup 3DS in today, and I'm going to try and mod this one first.

I'm going to peer deep into 3DSISO.com. Wiiso forums helped me a lot with my Wii. I never bothered with the Wii U. I'm not a big fan of soft modding systems, out of fear of bricking them.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

And....Bricked. At least that's what I think it is. It won't turn on, without the SD card in. I can only do stuff from the God9 or whatever screen.

I'm so glad those precautions they had me do beforehand did absolutely nothing.

So what now? Hard mod?

I've downgraded to 2.1, but I can't find a tutorial on how to fix a bricked new 3DS that has been downgraded.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

evil_ash_xero wrote:And....Bricked. At least that's what I think it is. It won't turn on, without the SD card in. I can only do stuff from the God9 or whatever screen.

So what now? Hard mod?

I've downgraded to 2.1, but I can't find a tutorial on how to fix a bricked new 3DS that has been downgraded.
Godmode9 allows you to flash firmware. Assuming you've installed arm9loaderhax (which is the purpose of downgrading to 2.1 in the first place) you're already done with everything you need to do on 2.1 and should flash the firmware backup you made before you downgraded.

No clue why you would go to 3dsiso.com or how you would find it. It's not on anyone's list of first place to go to hack a 3DS.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:And....Bricked. At least that's what I think it is. It won't turn on, without the SD card in. I can only do stuff from the God9 or whatever screen.

So what now? Hard mod?

google 3ds guide.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I've been going to the 3D-Guide site. That's where I had to go after I downgraded. But I just can't get past being stuck in GodMode9.

I dunno. I'm talking to a hardmodder on GBATemp.

Is there any folder I should look for, to make sure I backed up my NAND? I know I did, as it took a while (had like 3 steps). But I'd still like to make sure.

EDIT: I do have a NANDmin.bin file, in my files9 folder. Would this be my NAND backup?

Also, I'm trying a few things from YouTube user "Flare Games". I'll update my saga.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hope you don't brick your console, xero. I was scared of screwing it up during the guide, but fortunately all went well.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

NVM
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

OK....I THINK I may have it working most of the way. However, I am at FW 11.2

Most of the programs are working, but Safehack isn't. I'm guessing maybe it isn't needed after installing the other programs?

Anyway.....this one of the most irritating hacks EVER. I hear the Vita is bad too. How bad is the Wii U's?

Also, any recommendations for a bigger card? Like what brand and size?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I think the 3ds guide site has the best ones?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

OK, I'll look into it.

I'm glad I didn't totally destroy the thing. All this for a few better translated games. Ugh.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:OK, I'll look into it.

I'm glad I didn't totally destroy the thing. All this for a few better translated games. Ugh.
Well, besides that you get a cheat system, converting roms to VC releases (GBA!), homebrew, and if you so wish, free games (don't do this, etc.). Also no more region locking.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxNHhgMuTg
New Nintendo 2DSXL, what a mouthful. :lol:

Colour schemes:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/28/dr ... ew-2ds-xl/
:shock: Damn, gaijins aren't getting this i bet.