The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Drum
Banned User

Re: The Sega Megadrive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by Drum »

Skykid wrote:
louisg wrote:
Skykid wrote:The Earnest Evan's "series" is one of those 'so bad its good' things. The games are crap - no point mincing words - but the music and presentation are endearing, and Evans' animation is pure hilarity. Annette Futatabi is barely playable though. Dull as dishwater and painful to try and push through.
I totally agree! El Viento for example isn't *good* per-se, but it's worth trying at least once. I like what they're trying to do more than how it actually turned out. It's a pity there hasn't been another attempt at the same style.
When discussing games you want people to go back and fix, Earnest Evans is always one I champion. All they need to do to bring the game out of its mire is swap the main sprite with a solid and cool looking replacement without all the independent limb nonsense (resembling the character in the art would be nice) and give him a whip with proper Castlevania snap and decent range. If I had the ability, I would have definitely tried to do something like this already.
Then there would be no reason whatsoever to play the game. Making the main character a robot or a skeleton or some alien insect thing could have made it more palatable, but also way less fun. Game is fine how it is.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Drum wrote: Then there would be no reason whatsoever to play the game. Making the main character a robot or a skeleton or some alien insect thing could have made it more palatable, but also way less fun. Game is fine how it is.
What, nice and shit? :|
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

El Viento is totally good. I wouldn't say great - but good? Sure.
I think it's good also and love the speed of it.

I picked up and played Vectorman 1 for the 1st time this year. I enjoyed that one. Have the second one but haven't really played it yet.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I played Vectorman for the first time ever when I got the Ultimate Genesis Collection...didn't like it one bit. Especially hated the lack of autofire, my hands were sore after a while. I have no idea why it's considered a classic.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
RGC

Post by RGC »

Where's a good place to start with MD RPGs? I can only play for short bursts, and recall hearing one of the weaknesses of PSII is that you can only save in towns.

Seems I missed out on quite a few now well regarded titles 'back in the day'.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

The biggest weakness of the game is that the in-pack map book that shipped with the Mega Drive game is absolutely essential. The dungeons are a nightmare because they're made up of way too many floors and the sprite for the stairs up and down is exactly the same, meaning you're never sure which way you're going. If you're willing to look past its dated issues however, it's a superb game. And it pioneered killing off main characters way before Aerith popped her clogs.
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

Also, about halfway through the game you can get an item that allows you to save whenever you like
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

The visaphone... what's her name?, Shir I think, steals it from a library if I remember right. She vanishes from your party and when you leave the town she shows back up and says "I fealt the breezes calling".

Funny the things that stick in your head. I have only gone through that game once when it first came out. My first RPG really.
I played Vectorman for the first time ever when I got the Ultimate Genesis Collection...didn't like it one bit. Especially hated the lack of autofire, my hands were sore after a while. I have no idea why it's considered a classic.
How far did you get?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Ruldra wrote:I played Vectorman for the first time ever when I got the Ultimate Genesis Collection...didn't like it one bit. Especially hated the lack of autofire, my hands were sore after a while. I have no idea why it's considered a classic.
It's not just you.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
louisg

Post by louisg »

Drum wrote:
Ruldra wrote:I played Vectorman for the first time ever when I got the Ultimate Genesis Collection...didn't like it one bit. Especially hated the lack of autofire, my hands were sore after a while. I have no idea why it's considered a classic.
It's not just you.
I felt the same way. I got to some level where I was in a cavern collecting those shiny things and decided to throw in the towel. There seems to have been a crop of very slick but bland platformers (like Donkey Kong Country) leading into the next generation: Good graphics programming including a nice big feel and smooth-yet-zippy camera movements, but not a lot of meat to the gameplay.
Humans, think about what you have done
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Strider77 wrote:
How far did you get?
I think it was stage 5 or 6 I couldn't get past. I kept playing until I got the game-related trophy (collect 500 orbs), after that I didn't touch the game again.

The sequel wasn't any good either.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I enjoyed the first one well enough. Once I learned the boss patters ect. Not the best thing ever but I was engaed well enough.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Let's see here... The Adventures of Batman & Robin, Slap Fight (such a good package), Strider/Darius II/Ghouls'n Ghosts (I don't know why I like these versions better), HYPER DUNK, Crying (better name and may as well), Exile, Flux (:3), Zero Wing obviously, and I'll rep the much better music in Runark. Can't think of anything else at the moment.
Ed Oscuro wrote:Eliminate Down's only problem is its horrifically ugly cover (maybe that was intentional)
Eh, cover's fine enough.
louisg wrote:Aesthetically, the graphics and music aren't as good either.
Gley Lancer has better music than TFIII.
BareknuckleRoo wrote:Music still is garbage compared to the first two games in the series.
Nope.
louisg wrote:I've noticed people getting nostalgic about the PS1/N64 generation-- and if you don't count all the import shmups, that generation was a disaster (imo)!
Ah, didn't need to guess.
Ganelon wrote:Plus, if you enjoy Phantasy Star III-IV, then you can also play the RPGs that use a similar engine: Rent A Hero after PSIII, Surging Aura after PSIV. If you like Langrisser, you can play Vixen 357.
How have I heard of Vixen 357 but not Surging Aura? Wouldn't mind a translation of this one.
Ruldra wrote:There's a PS3 version of the game, anyone knows if it's as good as this one? I remember trying the demo briefly and thought it was nothing great.
Third game/reboot unless I'm wrong, it's alright. Speaking of which, go give Sparkster a shot.
stryc9 wrote:Now I've been playing these games for twenty-one years and I think I've come to the conclusion that the first game is the best...
I really appreciate this writeup (wow) though I don't share the opinion.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

stryc9 wrote:Now I've been playing these games for twenty-one years and I think I've come to the conclusion that the first game is the best...
Despatche wrote:I really appreciate this writeup (wow) though I don't share the opinion.
At the end of the day I think it comes down to the fact that the first game is more responsive (IMO) so you can control the enemy herds a lot easier without getting hit out of successful positioning by cheap attacks. The game just seems to flow better for me but I don't expect to have many supporters on this.

I just believe it's a fairer game, and for me that takes precedence over the obvious graphical and aural improvements that came with part 2.

Of course this is a retrospective opinion, as back in the day if my future self appeared and tried to convince me that SOR1 was better than SOR2 I would have just laughed :)

Funny how opinions change as you get older. Or it could just be the drugs. Not sure. 8)
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
louisg

Post by louisg »

stryc9 wrote:At the end of the day I think it comes down to the fact that the first game is more responsive (IMO) so you can control the enemy herds a lot easier without getting hit out of successful positioning by cheap attacks. The game just seems to flow better for me but I don't expect to have many supporters on this.

I just believe it's a fairer game, and for me that takes precedence over the obvious graphical and aural improvements that came with part 2.
I agree. The one thing that does bug me about SoR1 is it's a little buggy and choppy. But, the pacing is better. SoR2 really drags, and the last few levels just throw everything they can at you and it feels a bit haphazard. A put-lots-of-enemies-down-and-call-it-a-day sorta design.

You know what game I think is underrated? Alien Storm. I think people were turned off by the goofy designs, but it does play well.

What are opinions on other beat 'em ups on the system? Rating that genre in hindsight is interesting because it was a style that relied so heavily on graphical flash.
Humans, think about what you have done
1KMS

Post by 1KMS »

I've been playing the first Jurassic Park game recently. It has a nice atmosphere but all the mechanical quirks are starting to add up to "don't play me". For instance I can't get past the pump stage because I mostly land inside the brontosaurus's head which takes away the ability to long jump over the the tube below. Two times in the waterfall stage I got knocked back by a dilophosaurus and landed on solid rock and sank into it like it was the river, but that was at least funny and avoidable. Does anyone know if the brontosaurus thing is an emulation glitch? I tried both Gens and Fusion and it happened in both. If it is I might have to pick up the cart again.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

louisg wrote:I agree.
Awesome 8)
louisg wrote:What are opinions on other beat 'em ups on the system? Rating that genre in hindsight is interesting because it was a style that relied so heavily on graphical flash.
All these type of games are completely different for me in this day and age now that I play them for the 1cc. Certain elements of the gameplay of each of these titles can lend themselves well to a fair 1 credit clear and others not so much (see the controversial SOR1/2 claims above).

Anyway I'm rambling, but I am checking out the few beat'em ups on Megadrive I hadn't yet experienced, and I'll post back here sometime when done.

Of what I have played/owned:

Double Dragon 2
- Pretty poor conversion on all accounts except the music, which IMO is a fantastic rendition of the original tunes for MD. Still managed to enjoy the game somehow back in the day but I love DD I guess. Funny thing is, I chucked on the ROM the other day and I still enjoyed it's graphically neutered and slowdown ridden action, but really it is bad.

Battletoads/Double Dragon - sucks balls. The Lee brothers look retarded.

Golden Axe - Solid but dated beat 'em up engine, the first game is an impressive port, the second was very similar but with less polished graphical appraisal (great music though), and the third entry seemed uninventive despite some new technique and the graphics weren't up to par for the timeframe of it's release and Sega apparently agreed with me by confining it to Japan and Genesis Xband/ Sega channel whatever.

Alien Storm - It probably does outshine GA in this day and age, from what I reminded myself about it thru playing the ROM the other night.

Final Fight CD - I'm a bit sick of Final Fight and all it's fandom but there's no denying it's awesomness on Mega CD.

Double Dragon 1 - There is a conversion of this by Ballistic (Accolade) but unfortunately despite the graphics being really well done, the sound effects and music are so tinny and bad that you will want to throw the game in the bin.
They actually took a lot of the slowdown out of this version, which is well-meaning but not authentic to the arcade.

I'll have a look at Mystical Fighter (the Kabuki one) properly some other time but I'm not getting my hopes up.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Oddly, Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III (an arcade game) comes off as everything Golden Axe III wished it could be. That's something because it's definitely a Golden Axe clone. OT of Genesis titles though, I greatly enjoyed GA 1 & 2 when I was a kid, and remember that GA 1 had something like a precursor to 'Horde Mode' I used to play constantly.

Still some of the best music to this day in those games. And a great game world that wasn't done justice in Beast Rider. I'd love for them to bring back this or Altered Beast properly.
Godzilla was an inside job
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

stryc9 wrote:I'll have a look at Mystical Fighter (the Kabuki one) properly some other time but I'm not getting my hopes up.
It's a good game. Easy, though, and probably not deep enough for the brawler pro.
RGC

Post by RGC »

Rupert H wrote:The biggest weakness of the game is that the in-pack map book that shipped with the Mega Drive game is absolutely essential. The dungeons are a nightmare because they're made up of way too many floors and the sprite for the stairs up and down is exactly the same, meaning you're never sure which way you're going. If you're willing to look past its dated issues however, it's a superb game. And it pioneered killing off main characters way before Aerith popped her clogs.
So, is the general consensus that PSII is the MD's Chrono Trigger, i.e. its crowning role-play achievement?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I don't see how PSII is equivalent to Chrono Trigger when, after all, PSIV is the one that's all pretty an' stuff.

PSII isn't terrible (even has some good plot bits) but cripes, it has some grinding and some mapping. I don't think I bothered to get all the way through, actually.
RGC

Post by RGC »

I'm toying with picking up II or IV, or perhaps Pier Solar instead, since that's now available at a more reasonable price. I'd probably get bored if there's loads of grinding. A little I can handle, though. :-)
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Mystical Fighter is indeed one of the best beat-em-ups on SG. That's not saying much but it's pretty fun, has some interesting moves, and controls well. Power Rangers The Movie is probably the biggest surprise in that it looks good, plays smoothly, and has decent variety. Outside of the amazing Bare Knuckle series, Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan is probably the best beat-em-up, even though it contains some bootleg sound effects.
RGC wrote:So, is the general consensus that PSII is the MD's Chrono Trigger, i.e. its crowning role-play achievement?
No, PSIV generally gets that credit. They're both games that in my view represent the very pinnacle of traditional JRPGs with straightforward but solid battle systems, engaging epic story, interesting characters, colorful 2D graphics, memorable music, and a setting that mixes fantasy with sci-fi. Chrono Trigger even copied PSIV's combination attacks.

PSII has many eccentricities that don't fit well, such as very few bosses, the mazelike chute system, auto-battle by default, only 1 battle background, and a questionable ending. Based on my excursions through the internet, there are a lot more people who prefer PSIV over PSII. That said, PSII has an amazing "technological wonderland" atmosphere and is an excellent RPG in its own right.

Anyway, there's actually very little need to grind in PSII if you play how the game expects you to: get lost often and fight every battle. If you follow a guide and skip to the finish, then yeah, you'll be horribly underleveled and PSII will quickly become a grindfest. For folks who don't want to grind at all, just play the PS Complete Collection version on PS2 and lower the difficulty so that you receive quadruple the experience. You'll still have to deal with the high encounter rate though.
RGC

Post by RGC »

PSII could be the way to go, in that case, since I'd likely play it as it was intended. Who on earth uses guides anyway?!
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

RGC wrote:PSII could be the way to go, in that case, since I'd likely play it as it was intended. Who on earth uses guides anyway?!
It was packaged with it. If anything, that's how the game was intended to be played. I've got a copy with the guide and it's a very nice guide, certainly. Adds a bit of charm to the whole package if you ask me.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I'm almost certain a guide wasn't packed with or even widely available for the Japanese version, which of course is the original. You were really supposed to just figure it out.

There's no problem with playing PSII first and then playing PSIV. PSII is from an era where a lot of the competition was really just the 8-bitters, so it looks better in light of that. Then, regardless of your opinion of that, you've still got the chance to play the GG titles and PSIV.
RGC

Post by RGC »

I was, probably wrongly, interpreting guide as walkthrough.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Either way, the Genesis version came with a something in booklet form, nestled into the shrinkwrap outside the actual game box, but I don't think the Japanese release did. This isn't to say that it's bad to make use of what Sega gives you, but just keep in mind that they gave it to Western buyers because Western gamers aren't capable of figuring the game out for themselves :wink:

Update edit:

So, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Crossroads of Time still stinks on the Genesis, and in new and improved ways - it's uglier, jumping is less forgiving, hand-to-hand combat seems impossible, and you can only auto-initiate conversations, i.e. by walking past somebody. If you skip a line you don't get a second chance. There are some new graphical effects here and there, and a few extra lines of dialogue I didn't notice in the SNES version. The text font is now DS9-styled, and seems uglier than before. All told, I don't like this version.

Robocop vs. The Terminator - heh hah heh
Terminator 3 - By Flying Edge. Didn't go far enough in to get a good fix. The foreground and enemies in the first stage are pretty atrocious. Some cool city background graphics though.
Ristar - Fooled around with this for a minute. Interesting concept, not swayed by the execution though.
Rambo III - more suck given form by plastic.

Thunder Fox - Alright, here's one I was interested in. Whoops. The only good impression I have is that it taught me about the always-useful jump kick, which I'll have to try out on the Stage 3 boss (miniboss?). Otherwise, highly disappointing - feels like it's being played in slo-mo, and I did check to see I didn't have the thing set to PAL mode. Doubly cruel in spots - the collapsing sections of brick wall early on are removed, and later on when there is a barely-standing section of wall that looks like it'll collapse, it doesn't. Aside from the scoring aspect (5000 points a pop), the coolness of doing this is sorely missed. The cannon fodder guys put up more of a fight though - I wasn't adapting my play style and as a result I was taking a lot of damage that I wouldn't have in the arcade version. In the arcade version you can pretty much knife-swing your way through the whole first level up until the boss (maybe not for the jeep section, but that's even easier - just keep firing the mounted machine gun).

I did copy over a Starflight ROM though. I didn't get all the way through it before, but it left a good impression.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Alright so I tried out a bit of Mystical Fighter.

Not as bad as I thought it would be, there's some decent character and enemy graphics going on, despite the expected lack of animation frames on the bigger enemies it still looks pretty good and arcade-like.

With the theme it's kinda like the MD's Sengoku.

It's unfortunate but the main sound effect for hitting enemies is kinda weak, it just needed something a little more robust to help endear itself, but so far from what I've played it seemed OK.

Been playing around with some of the system's shooting games as well and have decided to pick up TFIV and Aleste. And for Mega CD Silpheed and Denin Aleste. I was really impressed with the CD Aleste, along with Bari Arm.

I haven't played much into Bari Arm yet, but from what I've seen it looks like an impressive shooter for CD, really good spritework and backgrounds.

Back to a question that didn't get answered earlier in the thread: If I want to get the Genesis exclusives (Viewpoint, Mega Turrican, Sunset Riders etc) working will the Mega Key type adapters do the trick and play the games perfectly as intended or is there shortcomings I should no about? (reduced speed, glitches etc).

Same for the Mega CD/Sega CD equivalent. Compatibility or sound/graphical issues going on or does stuff generally work OK?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

stryc9 wrote:Final Fight CD - I'm a bit sick of Final Fight and all it's fandom but there's no denying it's awesomness on Mega CD.
Don't forget that this version easily has the best revision of the soundtrack and it includes the fantastic time-attack mode.