The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Hagane

Re: The Sega Megadrive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by Hagane »

Comix Zone is one of my all time favorites. The genius of the presentation that is tied perfectly to the gameplay, the controls (especially how you use the items), the combat system (you can pull off OTGs after a throw! Probably a bug but still nice), the visuals and music... strange that such a game was developed by Westerners. Only things I don't like are losing life for punching obstacles and some puzzle elements that have no place in such a game. But otherwise an excellent game.

I remember being able to 1CC this as a kid... I tried it again recently on an emulator and I got crushed. I guess I played this a lot back then.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

PC version was even better :D

I never did manage to get 100% ratings on each level...is it possible?
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Are there any differences in the PC version, besides the new animated intro? I never played it.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Panorama Cotton GET
Twinkle Tale GET
Pier Solar GET
Light Crusader GET

WARNING PLAYER 1: YOUR WALLET IS ABOUT TO DIE
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
BIL

Post by BIL »

Twinkle Tale's on my "end of days" list along with Eliminate Down. :lol: Used to consider it superceded by the brilliant SFC Kiki Kaikais but it definitely holds its own in the manual scroller cute 'em up arena. Faster game, as you'd expect from the MD.
Marc

Post by Marc »

been playing some Decap Attack. Still a great fake, but fuck its dog ugly compared to Magical Hat.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Hagane wrote:Are there any differences in the PC version, besides the new animated intro? I never played it.
Much better potential for the music due to MIDI. Also a few cheat-related goodies based on the menu system.

This game will be hard to play on a modern system correctly, though - the window maximizes like any other application window, which I think will end up screwing with its aspect ratio.
greg

Post by greg »

Nice thread. In case you don't know, if you go to Wikipedia's list of Megadrive/Genesis games and filter by "regions released," you can see the games that were only released in Japan.

I'm a Masaya fan, so I am interested in getting Gynoug and Gleylancer. I wonder if the latter is so expensive because it features anime cut scenes that Masaya is well-known for? At least Gynoug doesn't go for as much. I know Spec doesn't think much of Curse, but despite its low frame rate, I think it looks pretty cool (plus it's cheap). I am also interested in getting Granada, Volfied (aka Ultimate Qix), Annette Futatabi, Devil Hunter Yoko, and possibly someday Twinkle Tale. It's interesting that Sailor Moon on the MD can be pricey, yet the superior SFC version can be had for cheap (I recently bought the SFC one for about 1,000 yen).

It's interesting how Battle Mania is so expensive these days. I bought Trouble Shooters for only $11 back in the late '90s. Good thing!

I recently scored a ton of Mega CD games in a big lot off YAJ---more than I ever thought I'd own. I tried Earnest Evans, and that game is so ridiculous-looking with the separate sprites for the limbs. Watching that klutz fall over and attempt to get back up is not my idea of decent gameplay. In fact, I think I'll be getting rid of that one pretty soon.
Skykid wrote:Hipster MCD choice:

I got this one too, although I haven't touched it yet. What's cool about it?

So far, my favorite Mega CD games are Final Fight CD, Time Gal, Thunder Storm (aka Cobra), and of course the Lunar games (haven't played them a lot yet though). I also received a handful of Mega CD RPGs: Cosmic Fantasy Stories, Death Bringer, Burai, and the weird-looking Funky Horror Band. I haven't looked at them yet, but it seems that all but the last one were originally on the PC Engine, with Cosmic Fantasy Stories being a compilation of the first two games in the series.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I played a bit of Hyper Marbles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ev47wB_i8
It's not as good as Motos - but what is?
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
greg

Post by greg »

I just scored MUSHA Aleste for only 4200 yen on YAJ! Neat-tastic! It has a few flaws, like the label peeling up and ripping a bit on the edge, but I can manage that. It sure beats paying more than twice that amount as it usually goes for!
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

greg wrote:I recently scored a ton of Mega CD games in a big lot off YAJ---more than I ever thought I'd own. I tried Earnest Evans, and that game is so ridiculous-looking with the separate sprites for the limbs. Watching that klutz fall over and attempt to get back up is not my idea of decent gameplay. In fact, I think I'll be getting rid of that one pretty soon.
The character animation in Earnest Evans never ceases to make me laugh.
greg wrote:So far, my favorite Mega CD games are Final Fight CD, Time Gal, Thunder Storm (aka Cobra), and of course the Lunar games (haven't played them a lot yet though). I also received a handful of Mega CD RPGs: Cosmic Fantasy Stories, Death Bringer, Burai, and the weird-looking Funky Horror Band. I haven't looked at them yet, but it seems that all but the last one were originally on the PC Engine, with Cosmic Fantasy Stories being a compilation of the first two games in the series.
If you like Musha Aleste, you should look into the MCD arrange version; Dennin Aleste. Holy crap is that game loooooooooooong. Also, if super-scaler racers are your thing, look into Heavenly Symphony.
BIL

Post by BIL »

greg wrote:I'm a Masaya fan, so I am interested in getting Gynoug and Gleylancer. I wonder if the latter is so expensive because it features anime cut scenes that Masaya is well-known for?
Best thing: you can switch 'em off (Options -> Scenario Mode "Off"). I forgot they were there until I neglected to do so the other day. What I'd give for the option to junk cutscenes/intermissions in a million other console games. Guardian Heroes, Demon's Blazon, Contra Hard Corps and ZERUDA NO DENSETSU: KAMIGAMI NO TURIFOOSU (STFU haters! My cart is glorious Nippon ver :[ ) are particularly awful offenders. Well, not Hard Corps, but in an explosionfest ike that, even short unskippables stick out like a tack amongst Braille. If you're going to put those in a run-and-gun they'd better be awesome+brief like Metal Slug 3's final mission viginettes or Alien Soldier's half-time "the planet you just escaped fucking exploded" after taking out Epsilon-1 on the orbital elevator.
greg wrote:It's interesting how Battle Mania is so expensive these days. I bought Trouble Shooters for only $11 back in the late '90s. Good thing!
I still need to give the original Battle Mania a serious go. The sequel is good fun - I plan to get it at some point. Not quite a first-rate MD shooter, lacking real intensity, but the cheerfully garish style, punchy explosions and killer Tecno Soft-worthy YM2612 metal win me over. The strafing, partner and Yagawa-esque "weaponised bomb" mechanics are fun too, even if it lacks the quality of level design that'd demand you exploit them.

Like Steel Empire it's a pricier MD shooter that's only about adequate on gameplay terms, but an attractive 16-bit production on the whole. I'm always a little more lenient on weaker console shooters that stand out stylistically if the underlying game is at least competent. On that note, just picked up Axelay. Now I can blast Shooting Battle II's "Colony"without the neighbours calling me a poseur!
Drum wrote:I played a bit of Hyper Marbles.
I'll have to give Motos a go, it's on Namco Museum Encore but I've never seen anyone mention it. It's hard to know what's worth trying on those discs, outside of the handful of games I got each for.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

BIL wrote:
Drum wrote:I played a bit of Hyper Marbles.
I'll have to give Motos a go, it's on Namco Museum Encore but I've never seen anyone mention it. It's hard to know what's worth trying on those discs, outside of the handful of games I got each for.
Mostly I was just being silly. It's a fun game and worth playing, but it won't change your life or anything.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh you!

Not a bad little game at all. Feels like a Vulgus hack dedicated to the daft things you can do with homing dungeon enemies and bumpers / pits in Zelda III. Despite predating the latter by years. Last time I ventured away from Rolling Thunder and Dragon Saber on that disc I got Wonder Momo and briefly lost faith in my hobby.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

In all seriousness: Wonder Momo is the greatest game of all time.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Do you mean the arcade or PCE version of Momo? Wouldn't surprise me at all if the home version was brushed up.

Arcade Momo reminds me of Genpei Toumaden's sidescrolling action stages. Big bold sprites that are fun to watch but don't seem to move very well at all. I know both games have fans, though. I figured it was more a Japanese game center nostalgia thing.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I wasn't being serious ):

null1024

Post by null1024 »

I remember playing Wonder Momo once just because it was in my MAME set. It is a bit of a pain to play.
but, I bet people tolerated it because panties
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Drum wrote:I wasn't being serious ):
I always take you at least somewhat seriously, it's more fun that way. ;]

Seriously seriously, though, there are some games like Jackal/Top Gunner I adore on home console, only to find the port ironed out major issues from the PCB (laggy aiming controls in that game's case).
null1024 wrote:I remember playing Wonder Momo once just because it was in my MAME set. It is a bit of a pain to play.
but, I bet people tolerated it because panties
All you need is pantsu~

Besides Momo's wretched game taking up a space for Rolling Thunder 2, Phelios, Metal Hawk or Nebulas Ray, I don't think Leila or Albatross were even in Namco X Capcom either. Despite Leila being 10x the woman that panty-flashing skank Momo is.

Been thinking of getting the MD port of RT2, which is one of those far from perfect but still extremely enjoyable facsimiles of the PCB that the MD has quite a few of (Fire Shark, Strider Hiryu, GNG, etc).
drauch

Post by drauch »

Did they ever finish that Namco X Capcom translation, BIL? Or are you just fluent? Really would like to play that eventually.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

No idea, tbh - you very likely know more than I do. ROMhacking.net seems to say it's done, but warns about some branches of text being untested.

I wish I could understand Japanese, that way I wouldn't be looking at using either a FAQ + flashlight or figuring out a PAL PS2 solution to play the second Siren game. :[
null1024

Post by null1024 »

A friend of mine has played it with that patch. I'll give it a shot once I get some DVDs, none of my computers are good enough for PS2 emulation.

Also, I noticed people talking about an MD Batman game. There's one Batman game on the Genesis that you really need to play, and that's Adventures of Batman and Robin. Totally different from the SNES version, lots of fancy linescrolling effects and pseudo-3D bits, it's a visual treat that makes many SNES games look shameful. It's an extremely satisfying beat-em-up/run-and-gun, and it's rather hard too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AatmIz0Gzhg
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, that one is on my to-try list. I remember playing it very briefly years ago and being quite impressed. Literally ten seconds into that video I can see it's far more involving than the original MD Batman. Annoyingly later western MD games tend to be particularly expensive in Japan format... there is a certain novelty to reverse importing, admittedly.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gonna have to cut in with an emphatic thumbs down for Batman & Robin. This thread is too powerful to let that myth live.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I wish Jesper Kyd still made game soundtracks like that, though.
Lol, the music practically screams "NINTENDON'T!"
RGC

Post by RGC »

Rob wrote:Gonna have to cut in with an emphatic thumbs down for Batman & Robin. This thread is too powerful to let that myth live.
Only a PRO Review could truly dispel the myth. :!:
BIL

Post by BIL »

^Word.

Can't be worse than the original MD Batman, anyway. ;)

Well, it could, but it'd still be more entertaining because MDB1 is mediocrity epitomised. I spent the weekend learning to clear the FC one again. Now that is a top-flight action platformer. Shame there wasn't a proportionate awesomeness increase on the MD, it would've been a goddamn monster. Although I get the impression the FC game was a Silent Hill 1 case. Hardware limitation transmogrified into a decapitating razor edge. The MD one is just a fugly 1989 movie license.

Un-believable.

FC: "Welcome Batman, let me show you my latest creation." MASSIVE FUCKING BIOTERRORISM LABYRINTH FULL OF KILLER ROBOTS AND MUTANTS

MD: "Welcome Batman, let me show you my latest creation." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_X6GunOlQ
Rob

Post by Rob »

RGC wrote:Only a PRO Review could truly dispel the myth. :!:
Forgot my password long ago. :[

That first MD Batman game is definitely mediocre, but I give it an edge for having more going on in the levels (variety-wise, not just explosion count) than Batman & Robin's 1-2 enemy formations looped for 5-15 minutes. The way the game is spoken of makes it sound like a "blistering" top tier action game to place next to something like Contra: Hard Corps, but there is so much popcorn enemy repetition that can just be stormed through with a fully powered weapon. That unbearably long token shmup stage could sink the game on its own. I'd take any of the hated MD shooters (XDR, Curse) over that.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Rob wrote:
RGC wrote:Only a PRO Review could truly dispel the myth. :!:
Forgot my password long ago. :[

That first MD Batman game is definitely mediocre, but I give it an edge for having more going on in the levels (variety-wise, not just explosion count) than Batman & Robin's 1-2 enemy formations looped for 5-15 minutes. The way the game is spoken of makes it sound like a "blistering" top tier action game to place next to something like Contra: Hard Corps, but there is so much popcorn enemy repetition that can just be stormed through with a fully powered weapon. That unbearably long token shmup stage could sink the game on its own. I'd take any of the hated MD shooters (XDR, Curse) over that.
Oh yeah, the game is definitely style over substance for the most part. It's no where near up there as C:HC or those, but it's still quite fun.
I'm a bit sorry if I introduced it like "best thing ever".

It's still better than the first MD Batman though, and the boss fights make up for some of the shortcomings.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Dahna Megami Tanjou is cool.

Also, I don't know why nobody told me the Gen version of Hellfire is substantially different from the arcade version in a bunch of ways that make it interesting. The system has failed me yet again.