Too many people are changing their freaking names.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Too many people are changing their freaking names.

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

We may as well all be "noobz" then.
Its going to take a while until we figure out who the hell is posting here.
Please, lets keep the names the same...at least for some relations/friendships. (its bad enough I'm typing my name differently) but its still me, and the same name.
I've even read a post where there was suspect of an imposter!! I'm mean come on, get with the program man.
Changing avatars are slightly annoying as well. Sometimes you can tell who's posting (at a glance) just by the avatar. Now peeps are changing that as well.

Just because SHMUPS is brand new and fresh, doesn't mean everyone should change their online persona!
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Maybe they felt it was time for an update or something?

Who really cares, honestly? As long as they make themselves known who they are after they've changed their user names and avatars, it should be all peachy keen as long as they don't pretend to be someone else they're not and piss all of us off.

It doesn't bother me at all, mainly because I'm used to this sort of thing as it always happens all the time on forums like SomethingAwful.com where name changes and avatar changes happens so frequently.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

This forum is really getting off to an off-topic start. :?
ArrogantBastard

mannerbot wrote:This forum is really getting off to an off-topic start. :?
Yeah, and not to mention incorrect forum to post a thread in, too.

Edit: Okay, I just re-read my comments. I'm not trying to be an ass, seriously. I was just commenting, that's all. If I've come off as an ass, I apologize.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Well, this isn't SomethingAweful.com now is it?
This is somethingShmupful.com
GET IT RIGHT,MAN!!!

All I'm saying is, lets not get too carried away with name changing and all that jazz. But if you really feel the need to go out and get that sex change, then I'll try to understand...I promise.

BTW: When I posted this, I though I was in the "Off Topic" section. Now that I think about it, it is appropriate here because it deals with Shmups.com as a site, as well as its regular members.

Oh...and happy to see you too, Cheers!!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I had to change mine. Almost 6 years of Kosh as a username, it was time to drop the Babylon 5 homage and go with something that was more shooter themed and uh..that used my real name. :p
ArrogantBastard

TwitchDoctor wrote:Well, this isn't SomethingAweful.com now is it?
This is somethingShmupful.com
GET IT RIGHT,MAN!!!
Hahaha. Quite correct, my lad.

Good to see you posting, too. Cheers!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Dylan1CC wrote:I had to change mine. Almost 6 years of Kosh as a username, it was time to drop the Babylon 5 homage and go with something that was more shooter themed and uh..that used my real name. :p
Who are you?

What do you want?

...is what people will be asking you from now on. "Where's Kosh?" they'll yell in outrage...

:wink:
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Kosh is a million times better than Dylan. If you had an ounce of sense in you, you'd have changed your real name to Kosh years ago. Loser.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Actually Dylan1CC is cooler and more original sounding.
I'm just curious though...how was it pronounced? Was it Kosh as in "go", or was it Kosh as in "wash"? I'm thinking the latter.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Hey, Twitch, stop bitching and set up the 1CC thread again, so we can brag. That's all.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

TwitchDoctor wrote:Actually Dylan1CC is cooler and more original sounding.
I'm just curious though...how was it pronounced? Was it Kosh as in "go", or was it Kosh as in "wash"? I'm thinking the latter.
Latter, yeah.

What UFO said, too.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

On the contrary, I was surprised to see so many familiar names when I discovered I had to register anew. I thought a lot of people would be bored by their own nicks.

I stay true to myself, however; I hope you appreciate :D
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Turrican wrote:On the contrary, I was surprised to see so many familiar names when I discovered I had to register anew. I thought a lot of people would be bored by their own nicks.

I stay true to myself, however; I hope you appreciate :D
Well, if you had a nick-name like Twitchdoctor...would you want to change it!?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

heh, you have a point, Twitchdoctor is cool.

And man... What a great signature! :P
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Hi, I'm here, too, and still myself.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

this forum aint nothing like the old forum...when it was actually about SHMUPS...no point of talking about shmups when the majority of the board hasnt even played it..granted, it deserves a preview and a review by the few but other than that...i wish things were the way they used to be..with the names issue, twitchdoctor, you shouldnt even start..you managed to create 2 threads about your own damn name..now, would the old forum be like that?
dbd

a rose by any other name, or a swine for that matter.......

Post by dbd »

Good thing I added my new sig. then, not that the names I had logged in with at the previous forum were at all serious.

I don't see how it matters, what names people use -

as long as you don't use other people's names,

and as long as you aren't doing it to confuse anyone or pretend you are someone else, etc,

who cares?! Not me.

great first post on the new boards me........well hell yeah keep it going.......
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:this forum aint nothing like the old forum...when it was actually about SHMUPS...no point of talking about shmups when the majority of the board hasnt even played it..granted, it deserves a preview and a review by the few but other than that...i wish things were the way they used to be..with the names issue, twitchdoctor, you shouldnt even start..you managed to create 2 threads about your own damn name..now, would the old forum be like that?
What the hell are you jumping on my ass about?
I didn't start two threads about my name.
This thread is about people here changing their names, as well as avatars. Which may be hard for some others to recognize. Yea, you can state who you are, but what of the late comers who didn't read your "I me...I used to be" type threads.

The other thread (mine) "Re-Born" was my first post here, which was pretty much showing my appreciation to be back. Yea, I used some lower case letters to spell my name which I latter wanted to change...big fucking deal.

Lighten up man, everyone is just happy to be able to post at a cool site once again. Maybe except for yourself? Its been awile. I'm sure regular type shmups discussions will ensue once everyone gets over the initial "WOW, Shmups is back" hype.
If you really feel that why then, well, there's always other sites to post at!
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

Big Woo Hoo you joined the board on Nov 12 2002..big fucken deal.You are the L33T(o yeah i went there).You have the right to start your own thread whenever its regards YOU. Im sorry Im just a stupid noob.
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:Big Woo Hoo you joined the board on Nov 12 2002..big fucken deal.You are the L33T(o yeah i went there).You have the right to start your own thread whenever its regards YOU. Im sorry Im just a stupid noob.
Actually, I've been here BEFORE that time. I don't give a crap about "Loot-ness".
Weren't you the one asking to ban such jibberish such as "loot speak" just the other day...what happend?

BTW: I never refered to you, or anyone else for that matter, as a "stupid newb". If you're somehow feeling sorry for yourself( or whatever it may be) and are just looking for attention, you can look elsewhere! I won't hesitate to tell you to fuck off, so you can stop complaining to me!
Brian

Post by Brian »

I am still original in my naming convention.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Perhaps a "solution" could be reached, if people who are changing their names add a small note in their sig or something, along the lines of "Formerly Known As (Previous Name)", and left it there for awhile until people got used to it, just to make sure no one got too confused?

Either way, methinks there's far too big a stink being raised about something so silly...
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Just to play safe, I'm keeping my old name. :roll:
greg

Post by greg »

Dylan1CC wrote:I had to change mine. Almost 6 years of Kosh as a username, it was time to drop the Babylon 5 homage and go with something that was more shooter themed and uh..that used my real name. :p
Gosh, I was a big Babylon 5 fan when it was on TV, and I didn't pick up on the Kosh name. He was the Narn, right?

Anyhow, as I explained in a similar thread in the off-topic forum, I dropped my last name because it felt so formal when everyone called me by my full name instead of just Greg... I'm sure most people won't think much of the change. Besides, nobody else on here was named Greg AFAIK.

Remember when Seven Force changed his nick to EightOne? No big deal, looking back now. We'll all get used to each other again in time.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I think part of the confusion with the name changes is it seems we genuinely pulled in a number of new users I've never seen before...it's hard to believe that ALL of them just changed their names...but who knows??
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Ronz

Post by Ronz »

CMoon wrote:I think part of the confusion with the name changes is it seems we genuinely pulled in a number of new users I've never seen before...it's hard to believe that ALL of them just changed their names...but who knows??
I fall into this category. I've lurked around the old forums in the past, but never really bothered to post on them.

Decided to change that now that the new forums are up. Hope you have room for one more noob around here :D
stoneroses

Post by stoneroses »

File me under the "I am actually a new person" category.

I always liked the site but the boards is where all the action was at - when they were up. So I decided to sign up finally.

EDIT: I know some will be pi$$ed, but I finally got around to adding my Avitar and decided to drop the 1969 at the end of my name. stoneroses is a little easier.
Last edited by stoneroses on Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Ronz wrote:
I fall into this category. I've lurked around the old forums in the past, but never really bothered to post on them.

Decided to change that now that the new forums are up. Hope you have room for one more noob around here :D
Sure, but NO QUESTIONS ABOUT THUNDERFORCE V goddamnit!!!
(or which version of donpachi is best!!!)

By the way, to keep this offtopic thread on topic, there are way too many Daves now. Could all the Daves make sure and get really different avatars so I don't continue to confuse them?
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Haha, I've never really watched Babylon 5 so I always assumed your name was Kosh.

Dylan's so totally lame compared to Kosh :cry: