Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Am I mistaken, or does the game actually run smoother than the original game? It feels very nice especially for an N64 game.
Yeah, it definitely does - I'd guess partially due to engine refinements, and also more optimised stage design. Comparing their respective Towers of Execution is like going from Metal Slug 2 to X. Gaiden can still bog down a bit (I remember its Tower of Science's huge, turret-infested room getting some danmaku slowdown when they all let rip), but much like MSX it's far more restricted to the most action-heavy scenes.

The one thing I kinda miss in Gaiden is the first game's much more vertical Duel Tower. Although Gaiden's is undeniably more stylishly done, with each "arena" seamlessly embedded into the course, it loses the hellishly precarious interstitial platforming. It's the exception though, the other redesigned stages are consistently superior.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote: Just like in DracXX you actually get to walk on the clock face of the clock tower this time around. More CV games should have that!
Uwotm8. You mean SCV4?

BIL is LoD generally called gaiden or is this a Birrism?

Haha, I started LoD in January last year on PAL hardware and never got around to finishing it. I think I'd just finished that outer wall up and down section. The janky vaseline smeared 3D certainly fondled my nostalgia balls. Good tip about the low resolution mode, I'll have to give that a try when i go back to it.
I see no reason to play CV64, with gaiden looking so much better in like, every way!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Blinge wrote:Then my fucking stupid clumsy ass knocked the mouse off the desk when reaching for something, it landed, apparently on the button.. ON THE X and closed the emulator. All in that one fall.
I'm still fucking amazed.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blinge wrote:
Sumez wrote: Just like in DracXX you actually get to walk on the clock face of the clock tower this time around. More CV games should have that!
Uwotm8. You mean SCV4?
Oh right, it has the Mummy fight! That one is kinda janky, but super cool in terms of setting! I completely forgot.
I was thinking of the Death fight in XX.
BIL is LoD generally called gaiden or is this a Birrism?
Japanese title has Gaiden in it. I've only seen Birru refer to it as such though XD
Good tip about the low resolution mode, I'll have to give that a try when i go back to it.
Wow, if you made it all the way to the outer wall in high res, I applaud your patience, but you'll definitely find low res mode to be a huge relief!
I see no reason to play CV64, with gaiden looking so much better in like, every way!
For my approach, it was really interesting to see the differences. But no, definitely absolutely no reason to actually play that. I do recommend playing Reinhardt or Carrie's modes in LoD though. Even with its annoying backtracking, the Castle Center is a really cool stage.

Btw I just remembered Cornell has a werewolf form he can change into!
I don't have the manual for that game, so I only knew about it from seeing it occasionally mentioned while reading thoughts on the game around the internet, and I never figured out how to activate it.
So for the record, all my thoughts on the game are based on playing through all of it without using the werewolf form at all! :)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I mean.. the Death fight in XX is just, next to the clock face really..
What about she-wolf in 68K tho??

Oh it's super useful when you need an OH HELL NAWW moment against a boss, or to get you out of a pinch with a swarm of enemies.

Back in Drac XX land.. jesus.. i'm becoming obsessed, i don't want to do anything else with my day.
So, once again.. got my precious key and died on the next stage. I don't know what it is.. the spikes+bats combination just fucks me up. even if i know exactly where the fucking wuhan clan is gonna appear.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:BIL is LoD generally called gaiden or is this a Birrism?
I don't know about you PLEBES' shelves but mine's rocking Akumajou Dracula Mokushiroku and its followup Akumajou Dracula Mokushiroku Gaiden: Legend of Cornell Image :wink: ("Legend" is pushing it given Cornell's dubious story - "I fucked up and went home, The End" - but Another Story of the Apocalypse is \m/etal as fuck imo Image

The original CV64 is really only worth it for completists and/or those with a fondness for the games (like me). Metal Slug 2 pretty much.

BEAST MODE is pretty useful in Cornell's last boss, IIRC (it's been many years). I recall using it to tear through those fuckin creepy manfaced worms, which are a quality monster design!
Back in Drac XX land.. jesus.. i'm becoming obsessed, i don't want to do anything else with my day.
So, once again.. got my precious key and died on the next stage. I don't know what it is.. the spikes+bats combination just fucks me up. even if i know exactly where the fucking wuhan clan is gonna appear.
It's a surprisingly compelling game, I find. It's got some quality trad CV method action, it's just buried under a layer of badness alien to the series (sludgy movement and boned hitflashes).

Make sure you're exploiting the key's item crash in the first half of its stage. I'll go to my grave wondering if all this was intentional... it's actually pretty fun invincibly cock-slapping an otherwise mean stretch right across its sour mug!

Also AXEMAN REDDO pwns. Get them counter-iframes in. Image

In my replay I almost died by fleaman attrition on the final stretch, haha. Dullest part of the game, has the vacancy of the earlier stages with added fleaman fuckery. Wish I'd tried harder, given it's otherwise a fairly watchable run, but I couldn't be arsed after botching the fullscreen Bucket Ghost Wipeout (haul ass up to the Rosary's candle, let 'em gather, then BOOM! All gone).
Last edited by BIL on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

In my replay I almost died by fleaman attrition on the final stretch, haha. Dullest part of the game, has the vacancy of the earlier stages with added fleaman fuckery. Wish I'd tried harder given it's otherwise a fairly watchable run but I couldn't be arsed.
imo a run doesn't stop being watchable just because you got hit a bunch. If anything it's exciting to see just how close you came to missing that no miss.

Yup. got a bit more practice in and wrecked the stage

AND THEN THIS HAPPENED

mypause to wipe my sweaty lil' fingers was fatal it seems.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aww thanks Image It really was down to the wire too, a friggin Red boney-kun almost took me out!
Blinge wrote:Yup. got a bit more practice in and wrecked the stage

AND THEN THIS HAPPENED

mypause to wipe my sweaty lil' fingers was fatal it seems.
Still, good job making it to an ignominious end with full HP! Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

WE DONE IT BOYS!!!!

aaah fucking hell i recorded in 30 FPS :x :x :x

soz, realised this continuing XX digression may take attention away from Sumez' great write up of the N64 titles!
It's on the previous page, you filthy vampire gashhounds.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I've said this before elsewhere - but the Netflix series is top tier - and the third season contiues to show why.

It has easily become the benchmark for how to take a video game and turn it into a great series. I've watched many shows through one season, liked it, and then never gone back after the new seasons were released. Ozark, Happy!, Dark Matter (I know they are varying qualites) - you get the idea.

It is really well written, genuinely funny at times, and it is filled with compelling characters (particularly
Spoiler
Isaac
who might be the best character on the show). The direction in the action scenes (when they happen) is also fantastic. I think part of the reason the show is so great is because it's mostly driven by dialogue/situations. There are fight scenes, but it isn't uncommon for an episode or even two to pass without Trevor killing something.

I wouldn't exactly call myself a Castlevania fan either. I like the games, know they're place in history and what have you, but many of you here are far bigger fans of the games than I am. You are seriously missing out if you haven't watched it yet.

Edit - Congrats Blinge!
My lord, I have come for you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

We have the same taste, you and I.. It's not ambition. It's ambition's opposite. An obdurate mission to taste defeat.
-Bennett Foddy

So.. Castlevania Dracula X has a pretty meh ending no?
Cheers Stevenzz

Also I've started the last of the Classicvanias, for me anyway! Adventure Rebirth. It seems alright..
Edit:
nah it's rad! Stage 5 has teeth and I did like the final boss.
Perhaps the whole game is a bit on the easy side but eh.
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

I'm a bit disappointed that the Wii is shit so I don't have it out but there is no other way to play rebirth :(
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

dolphin GC/wii emulator plays the .wad files
I wouldn't condone such activity, but it is very easy.

https://youtu.be/8XBaAIHhfms
Wellllll! There's muh DracXX (us) 1cc
Warts 'n' All
gets a bit hairy at points.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:
We have the same taste, you and I.. It's not ambition. It's ambition's opposite. An obdurate mission to taste defeat.
-Bennett Foddy
An interesting sentiment. Image Assuming Mr. Foddy is talking about the Hard Gaming: in my layman's experience, defeat is not elusive, nor is it stingy. All are welcomed to eat, drink and be salty, with a lifetime's provisions just a ROMZ away. Meanwhile, the GDLK tell of enduring many Big Mouthfuls before at last vaulting the dais and bitch-slapping the nefarious host.

It's not a mindset I would associate with the GDLK, who know the trials of pursuing Big Dick Numbers - but nor would I ascribe it to the Scrub, that cur who would reduce us to his cry-wanking level before ever examining his own faults. It seems a hard path to take, and while I may question its productivity, I would not deny its discipline. The twofold outrage of the Scrub - to first cry, then wank - would be less odious were he similarly discreet, but I suppose then he would not cry and wank to begin with. Arrogance and ignorance, chicken and egg, etc etc.
So.. Castlevania Dracula X has a pretty meh ending no?
Being limited to a still frame apiece, the one that hits hardest inevitably wins... and that is, comically, WORST END. I really dig that lonesome sepia vision of Richard (Richter's arthritic twin brother) taking the long ride home. Alone, all alone. Its like SPLATTERHOUSE III, and shit! Image

I do like that enigmatic half-smile Dracula gives after his body ASPLODE, before he vanishes in the morning sun. Its like HE KNOW this has happened before... and will surely happen again! :o An everlasting cycle, a RONDO of sorts!

BTW, just like you should pose with Death's auto-decapitated corpse,

so should you with fallen DORAKYURA-SAMA, for that JOSEPH v WAMMU Turbo GAR shonen battle aesthetic! Image

"I ROVE YOU DORAKYURA-SAN" "I ROVE YOU TOO BERUMONDO-KUN, OH FML MY FACE IS MELTING"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I think Mr. Fodstar's line is a bit tongue in cheek. It's followed up with
"you'll feel bad if you win... so I put this snake in for you."

A snake that slides you back to the beginning of the game if you hook your hammer on it.

Of course some people touch the snek by accident :lol: https://youtu.be/lwi9geiOKPA

Anyhow, back to 'Vania..
I've just noticed that Drac XX barely exists on wikipedia at all, it's simply a footnote in the page about Rondo.
The old misconception continues to this day apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevan ... _Dracula_X
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've rode snakes like that IRL, they even had the warning sign Image :mrgreen:

This dude has the best snek reaction game

This dude SUCC THO

Re wiki "Versions and Re-Releases" Whoever wrote that should have the phrase branded on their left ass cheek, with "Akumajou Dracula XX is fucking neither" on their right. :evil: :wink:

I know I get on chaps' nerves sometimes, but this is why I like my JP titles. Image It's not about internet willy-waving, but scholarly precision! Or rather, hobbyist precision! Have a care, ffs.

"BUT W/ABOUT METAL SLUG X LMAO, THAT IS THE VERSION OF METAL SLUG 2" This is where you need to use your loaf kids! Image
Austin

Post by Austin »

Blinge wrote: Also I've started the last of the Classicvanias, for me anyway! Adventure Rebirth. It seems alright..
Edit:
nah it's rad! Stage 5 has teeth and I did like the final boss.
Perhaps the whole game is a bit on the easy side but eh.
I know Hard mode is available and I recall it being significantly more difficult. Give that a try.

Final boss is one of the better final Castlevania bosses, IMO. Game overall though is on the easier side like you said if you play on Normal. Still a fun, solid CV title that few seem to talk about.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I made my first tentative inroads into the 1cc today!

and hard mode? nope.

This week on healthy gaming:
Anatomy of a fail

Adventure Rebirth play was going ok.. felt like the game's a bit long..
Made it to the last stage with 2 lives to spare, started thinking about girls, distracted, played like shit.
Huh, it's just one life, not need to get down on yourself blinge, not like you fuck everything in your life up or anything like that!!
walk off edge without jumping.
oh dear. zombie pushing buttons utterly unable to focus on the game.

ah well.

Edit: 1cc Get
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hm.. Does anybody know the native framerate Symphony of the Night runs on ps1?

the version I have downloaded on puss3y is the fucking PAL version EGH!! EGGGGH!!!
So when I play NTSC on a PS1 emulator it seems to be magical vacation dracula on speed..
I think there might be an emulation issue in which it is playing too fast..

I'm actually struggling to find a simple answer to the framerate question on the g00gle
BIL

Post by BIL »

NTSCJ/U = 60hz (AWW YEAA, I LIKE THAT A LOT Image)
PAL = 50hz (OMFG, GET THIS DOG SHIT OUTTA MY FUCKIN FACE Image)

Can you set the emulator to PAL region? TBH I'd just look for an NTSC iso, 50hz makes me murderously fed up. Particularly the thought of partaking in *~Magical Vacation Dracula~* in such frowzy conditions. Such rare leisure demands the 60hz refresh rate God and Jebus intended. Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha, pretty much.

So it turns out the emulator wasn't running too fast as it does with some games like King's Field. It was literally me not being used to the 60hz! smooth as a buttery dream. I'm not certain, but this is what i'm going with.

So a few thoughts on The Adventure Rebirth.

It's fun, it's serviceable. I do feel like it's a nostalgia throwback/ fan game of Classicvania though. I can't quite put my finger on it.
Maybe it's the asset re-use, like the stained glass windows and hallways from SoTN? I don't actually have a problem with asset reuse if the assets are put to good use, as in this case.

Maybe the problem is the stage progression. Stage 1 is all outside in some gardens, but we're still at the castle, there's not really the feeling of travelling there as there is in CV3+4, Rondo, hell even XX.
Stage 2 - entrance hallways. Okay, nothing wrong with this per se.
Stage 3 - some fucking badass BONE ZONE/ Golgotha. That's rad.
Stage 4 - oh what? just more castle interior.. I don't really feel a sense of progression. The maze is gimmicky, and a bit shit.
Stage 5 - standard clocktower because every vania must have a clocktower, I guess..

Still, it would be wrong to expect much in the way of amazing innovation so i'll shush haha.

Oh fyi I got muh clear with a gamecube pad, using the analog :lol:
That's how much I hate the dpad.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah, the "it's more just a throwback than a real CV game" is why I didn't care for it much when it was new. Tossing in Bloodlines music was nice, but lazy--I would have preferred more original music or taking music from the Game Boy game, since that's what it was based on (and that OST is pretty good). Mechanically there's a lot of questionable stuff too, like making your fireball limited-use, the maze stuff, or sub weapons using up more hearts than usual for games in the series, forcing you to use them less (at least on earlier runs where you're not great at the game yet).

The game's grown on me over the years as I've played it more. You're right about there not being a consistent sense of progression from level to level. But the more you play it you'll find better strats to deal with each area, not to mention catch alternate routes which helps with the replay value. Plus the higher difficulty that adds more traps and removes platforms and floors, etc, is a unique way of ramping up the difficulty compared to how the usual CV does it. It definitely has a few unique elements overall compared to your usual CV game.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah wasn't just bloodlines music.

The Stage 4 theme is the loading theme from 68K.
Stage 3 is a remix from Crystal Castles in Belmont's Revenge on the GB, and the result is a fucking BANGER

Not sure where stage 2 is from. (Edit: devil's requiem from Haunted Castle)

Fireball isn't limited use, it's actually on a timer, so you're encouraged to whip the fuck out of everything or make tracks to squeeze the best use out of it.

You ever fuck with the "classic" belmont jump mode ?
Austin

Post by Austin »

I meant limited use as in, it runs out eventually. Yeah, it's on a timer. In the GB games it was unlimited (unless you took a hit). I would have preferred the later implementation. Would have let it stand out more from other Vania's. It's short ranged in this version so it wouldn't have been too broken given it's fairly weak anyway.

The music in this game is really good, I just would have preferred more remixes of the GB tunes to let it stand out more.

I have messed with the classic jump mode. You basically just have to commit to your jumps. I don't find it as fun because the game has all of these tiny little platform and stair height changes and the classic jumping wasn't designed around that, it just feels more clunky than anything. But it can add to the challenge, for sure. I generally play with the default style since the mid-air control feels more natural with the stage layouts.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Haha, pretty much.

So it turns out the emulator wasn't running too fast as it does with some games like King's Field. It was literally me not being used to the 60hz! smooth as a buttery dream. I'm not certain, but this is what i'm going with.
omfg, you were denied Burinju (;`ω´;) 50hz is no way to live. It's no wonder you were running around the woods at night in your pants with those other lads.
Ah wasn't just bloodlines music.

The Stage 4 theme is the loading theme from 68K.
Stage 3 is a remix from Crystal Castles in Belmont's Revenge on the GB, and the result is a fucking BANGER

Not sure where stage 2 is from. (Edit: devil's requiem from Haunted Castle)
The Rebirth OSTs (Castlevania, Contra & Gradius) have some intriguing track selections and arrangements. Deep cuts galore (The Foggy Cave In The Darkness Image KONTORA lair BGM at its most eerily xenodaemonic Image), and pleasant surprises like the aforementioned stage-long arrangement of Devil's Requiem (the arcade game's HS table music). Even the US-only Contra Force got a look in! Always loved its tunefully unruly st1 BGM.

I like the Konami arcade board-styled soundfont too, very Sunset Riders/Trigon (Michiru Yamane worked on the latter's soundtrack, incidentally - it fuckin rocks). Manabu Namiki is a treasure.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:omfg, you were denied Burinju (;`ω´;) 50hz is no way to live. It's no wonder you were running around the woods at night in your pants with those other lads.
huh.. did i post about that?

omfg lol I recorded my ReBirth clear and uploaded it.
https://youtu.be/4i4dPGp5jYU

Maan i don't even know why I'm doing it I just want all classicvanias done on my channel :mrgreen:

x68K is the only classic i don't have a 1cc on now..
..maybe now is the time..
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:huh.. did i post about that?
No! I am watching you, through a camera! (■`W´■)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Well as teens we did get drunk, streak bare-ass nekkid in a field then rush through the house party with cocks out whooping.
So there's that.

Think we group hugged too, with nobs out.
not gay thooooo :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

50Hz?

You were playing one of the smoothest side-scrolling action platformers ever conceived, in 50Hz/wrongo speed??? in 2020??

That's ''walk of shame'' worthy. not a single doubt aboot it

*throws rocks*

For fucken SHAME Burinju :lol:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah no i haven't actually played Sotn for more than a few minutes for years.
back but then it was the classics release on psn. Which is still PAL