Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by BIL »

Mortificator wrote:I've heard that idea before, and the cloaked figure does look similar to the concept art of Drolta. It doesn't jive with what happens on-screen, though. It's not like Dracula chills on the sidelines for a while as another individual steps in and fights. You see Dracula transform from a blue dude to a cloaked figure, and you see him transform again from a cloaked figure into a demon.
I think the on-screen action works perfectly (and best of all, with no dialogue) if you interpret it as:

1) Dracula's humanoid incarnation is destroyed. "I need mah full power! Bwahhh!" He opens some kind of dimensional rift, retreating to the "dark netherworld" the opening cinema informed us his spirit dwells in.

2) Drolta steps in as Dracula retreats. Gets beaten, makes the most of things by dying in a conspicuously ceremonial fashion. Looks almost like she sacrifices herself, opening a gate to the netherworld and allowing Dracula's spirit to possess her corpse in the process.

3) Holy shit, we're in some dark realm where Dracula's spirit has manifested in stronger, monstrous form! Protagonist destroys this body too, and he's left to stew in the void as usual.

I don't really buy Dracula transforming into a diminutive witch figure between his usual hulking vampire and even more hulking monster forms. It makes sense the developers fit the diminutive witch Drolta in there. She's in the characters section of the Japanese manual just like Dracula and Bartley, after all, and is supposed to have kicked off the game's plot in the first place. She's pretty much that storyline's Shaft.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Dude I always thought it was Dracula taking over drolta. how can this be controversial*

what's controversial is the witch commiting suicide, KONAMI GLORIFIES SUICIDE.

*confirmed via IRC chat, all three of us disagree (well, Bloodreign didn't comment, so he is automatically with us)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ed Oscuro wrote:KONAMI GLORIFIES SUICIDE.
You should see Silent Hill 2 where the blonde, white, All American boy Jimmy Sunderland totally owns himself in the bad ending! As if some scummy Bolshevik devil-worshipper (who was probably on welfare!) doing herself in wasn't bad enough!

It's no wonder Konami became a known hentai game pusher with Rumble Roses later on.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Even witches deserve a long and happy life.

Why couldn't they have been more forward thinking and made Dracula a sex monster? LUST REFILLS HIS LIFE GAUGE!

In other news, I did two-play clear Kirby's first GB game a while ago (for something completely different, here's an inscrutable final boss), am I a high enough level yet to one-credit clear Kid Dracula?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've warmed up to Dracula XX a little over the last few days. Like X68K Dracula, it's a tough bare-bones challenge that really tests your timing and control. The sluggish walking speed still irks me, though. Richter animates faster yet moves slower than in Rondo, an irritating and pointless "tweak.'

Certainly doesn't play as well as Akumajou Densetsu, X68K, Rondo or Vampire Killer, nor does it have the atmosphere of the first SFC Dracula, but there's still some fun to be gotten out of clearing it.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I just finished Chronicles. Pretty tough this one ain't it?

I went through the arrange. I wanted to do the X68000 ver. purely for it's original-ness, but got hooked on Arrange's music. I think the X68000 one is tougher isn't it? Like, one of the most difficult of the classic Vania's?

Interesting stage design here. Short and sharp like a knife, it's a small victory just to make it past each section.

Also @ the beginning of this thread and all the ragging on SCIV: get a life!

In many ways IV is the most cohesive, progressive and atmospheric experience of all, and certainly the most dramatic. That egoraptor review is just another Youtube spoon doing his best Ashton Kutcher impression. It's a legitimate and accurate appraisal that the dynamism of the whip and freedom of movement changes the series gameplay fundamentally, but that's not a criticism unless you have testicles where your eyes are meant to be. Jeebus.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Arrange has Simon take much less damage per hit, and I don't think it loops (I cleared it without continuing and just got booted back to the title with time attack unlocked). X68K/Original mode is definitely on the tougher side of the series, playing more like the stiffer first and third FC Draculas than the relatively lenient SFC, PCE and MD ones (Dracula XX, which is just sluggish, excepted). Later loops are incredibly ruthless with turbo-boosted bats lurking seemingly everywhere and Simon eventually dying in a couple of hits.

I always play Original for that awesome authentic feeling (both the punishing challenge and aesthetic; sprite flames > pasted-in SOTN effects, and classic Belmont dress browns > black leather and tranny wig!).

Chronicles' arranged soundtrack is a bit like its level design, imo. Starts off somewhat bland and questionable, then suddenly rockets up in quality about halfway through and never looks back. The bass-slapping, guitar-wailing, cowbell-tapping rendition of Moon Fight is one of the series' great unheralded songs, and at least one person at KCET agreed since it replaced the quasi-medley track "Den" in the last stage of the PSP Rondo remake.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Skykid wrote:Also @ the beginning of this thread and all the ragging on SCIV: get a life!

In many ways IV is the most cohesive, progressive and atmospheric experience of all, and certainly the most dramatic. That egoraptor review is just another Youtube spoon doing his best Ashton Kutcher impression. It's a legitimate and accurate appraisal that the dynamism of the whip and freedom of movement changes the series gameplay fundamentally, but that's not a criticism unless you have testicles where your eyes are meant to be. Jeebus.
Credit where credit is due: there is still plenty of great atmoshpere and memorable moments to be found in SCIV, like to those candles flaming up during the final hallway or the haunting intro. And the level design certainly steps up towards the end of the game. But then there are parts like the room where you have to cling on your whip to wait the room to slowly rotate 90 degrees. Then you whip few medusa heads and then the rooms rotates once more and after that you'll wait while the stone brigde slowly appears before you. I didn't find that or other similar sequences all that thrilling.

But I aimed my personal criticism towards the gameplay, especially the whip. The new multiwhip certainly changes the dynamic of the gameplay but that's pretty much what I was trying to get across in my original point: whipping makes things too easy. Enemies behave very similar to older Castlevanias and they don't really demand you to master the whip. Guess I just never thought Castlevania needed multidirectional whip to begin with. Like many people harp on RE4's tank controls, I thought they were perfectly fine and well balanced - if Leon could just circle around the enemies while shooting it would change the game's dynamics completely. That's what SCIV's whip feels like to me.

As I said, I don't think SCIV is a bad game. I'm not here to shat on anyone's opinions or call anyone an idiot who enjoys the game more than I do. Just discussion about the game series I happen to like quite a bit. Maybe some constructive discussion will help me to understand the merits of Super Castlevania just a bit better - simply throwing personal insults towards me most likely isn't going to work. I've lurked here long enough to understand your way of writing is somewhat "aggressive", Skykid, but I wasn't trying to be hostile in my OP. So chill out. Nothing personal.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:Chronicles info
Yep, I'd like to play through original mode for that authentic experience too, but I tried it this morning and boy it's strict. 3 hits to dead in many cases, and Arrange was no walk in the park.

Chronicles music is amazing arrange or original, and being an X68000 game it's got a really interesting 'black sheep' novelty about it. I never felt like the stage design broadened out at any point, but plunges detail into short, tough stretches. It's a game that feels like they engineered the challenge through every screen rather than the stage as a whole, which is neither better or worse, just interesting.

Anyway, it was good fun and I love its artistry. The painting room really is superb. I feel blessed on my 2nd attempt at fighting Death one of the knights dropped a Laurel, which put paid to that fight.
Ebbo wrote:Taking CIV stuff personal
Dude, none of that was directed at you lol. I don't even remember your post, or any other specifically, I just skimmed through the comments. The only thing I remember is that dumb 'review' on Youtube, so don't take it personally.

Lets discuss though:

CIV is easier than most games in the series, I agree. This is largely down to the freedom of movement of Simon and his whip, I agree.
But is it a cakewalk? No. It's made up for in size: it has an enormous amount of stages, with the lengthiest path to the castle and battle within it of any game in the series. The castle digs its heels in too: restart points become much wider and there are some pixel perfect jumps required in the treasure room etc.

I disagree with whoever said the level design is bland, I don't see that at all. I played through the game again last week and the stage design and music within those stages is constantly changing. New enemies, directions and atmospheric shifts. One minute you fight the currents in waterfalls, navigate swinging chandeliers and forced scrolling screens - and it's packed with bosses, usually two a stage (although an element of unpredictability about whether you will fight a boss or mid-boss is a nice mix up.

But I digress, going back to the controls: bar making it easier to whip out of reach enemies and lessening the usefulness of secondary weapons, the game plays like a dream. I think it has the best control of any classic Vania, and I don't see that as an issue because it's so damn fun to play. I like the new advantages; the manoeuvrability in the air, the whipping speed and waggle properties.

It just seems like people are sick of seeing something held in high regard, so are trying to pick fault where there isn't any. It's a close call between Rondo, CVIII and Chronicles, but CIV is up there with the best, no doubt.

And that music. It's sex to my ears.

Vamos

Post by Vamos »

Man i just started chronicles recently but one thing in particular i really cant understand , I think its stage 3 the ice stage theres a platform that shoots up towards spikes as soon as you jump on it then you quickly jump over to another small moving platform .... no matter what i do make the jump etc i always die bar like a couple times and i still have no clue why i made it those times , any ideas? The music is gold btw .
BIL

Post by BIL »

It sounds like you're bumping the instant-death spikes above the ice column when you go for the jump - you need to let the column lower enough. I usually jump onto the column, walk as far across as possible until it's "duck or die" time, then let it lower some ways before jumping - works every time.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Skykid wrote: Dude, none of that was directed at you lol. I don't even remember your post, or any other specifically, I just skimmed through the comments. The only thing I remember is that dumb 'review' on Youtube, so don't take it personally.
My bad then. It just so happens that my opening post is only one with any ranting about SCIV during first page :P

It feels like we're seeing the different sides of the coin here. Super has got plenty of stages for sure but there are lots of fat in there as well. Enemy types don't seem much of an improvement when compared to 8-bit titles. Standard skeletons, bats, medusa heads, fire breathing dragon skulls and axe knights are plentiful throughout the whole game with some different popcorn enemies thrown into mix but aren't much of threat or varied in behavior. Same thing with bosses, most of them can be dispatched pretty quickly by just flailing whip as fast as you can - quantity > quality. But the bosses weren't really the strongest point of the original games either so it's a minor gripe. Also where was my cookie monster Dracula during the final battle?

I don't mind the controls working like a dream. I'm saying they could have updated the enemy/boss and level design to compensate with this newly acquired control and power. Make things exciting and demand you to plan ahead instead of just mowing through everything. Manoeuvrability in the air and stairs don't bother me but I think I liked more the way Rondo implemented these changes.

Sorry to say this, but IV's soundtrack didn't do much for me until they started playing arranges of older tracks during the final part of the game.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

My criticism of CV IV tends to go towards the fact that until you get to the castle, the bosses are really, really boring.

And even in the castle some aren't so hot. The later ones (like the death fights) are really excellent, however.

I haven't played a Castlevania since Order of Ecclesia, but I will say that Order of Ecclesia is probably the best DS Castlevania (along with Aria of Sorrow as the best portable CVs), and up there as one of the better games in the series.

I probably like it because it tried to do something a bit different with level progression, with a bit of a blending of the classic linear level structure (which is probably the best "style" of Castlevania) and the post-SOTN level layout, and I think for the most part it worked (though sometimes making your way out of an area was a pain and a little anticlimactic). it also had a fun weapon and magic system and NO TOUCH SCREEN CONTROLS. Seriously, that gimmicky shit in DoS: what the hell.

I beat DoS, really only once the whole way through, and I never even finished Portrait of Ruin (though my older bro really likes it and has played it a lot); however, I've probably beaten Order of Ecclesia a good 6 or 7 times.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Vamos wrote:Man i just started chronicles recently but one thing in particular i really cant understand , I think its stage 3 the ice stage theres a platform that shoots up towards spikes as soon as you jump on it then you quickly jump over to another small moving platform .... no matter what i do make the jump etc i always die bar like a couple times and i still have no clue why i made it those times , any ideas?
It's very deceptive that jump, do what BIL said. The actual jump in Chronicles/X68000 is one of the least refined elements. You get stuck on overhead objects momentarily a lot, causing a 'hover' state that throws timing out; and it's heavily weighted and very short, which is played upon in certain sections where you need pixel perfect accuracy to cross certain gaps.
Ebbo wrote:It feels like we're seeing the different sides of the coin here. Super has got plenty of stages for sure but there are lots of fat in there as well. Enemy types don't seem much of an improvement when compared to 8-bit titles. Standard skeletons, bats, medusa heads, fire breathing dragon skulls and axe knights are plentiful throughout the whole game with some different popcorn enemies thrown into mix but aren't much of threat or varied in behavior. Same thing with bosses, most of them can be dispatched pretty quickly by just flailing whip as fast as you can - quantity > quality. But the bosses weren't really the strongest point of the original games either so it's a minor gripe. Also where was my cookie monster Dracula during the final battle?

I don't mind the controls working like a dream. I'm saying they could have updated the enemy/boss and level design to compensate with this newly acquired control and power. Make things exciting and demand you to plan ahead instead of just mowing through everything. Manoeuvrability in the air and stairs don't bother me but I think I liked more the way Rondo implemented these changes.

Sorry to say this, but IV's soundtrack didn't do much for me until they started playing arranges of older tracks during the final part of the game.
I see no fat in the game whatsoever, in fact it's pretty much fat free to me. I think you're just looking at its relative ease as a contributing factor to a lack of engagement. I don't really have that problem, because the design is so beautiful. It's an epic crusade and I think your criticisms are not taking note of its length: it could be ball-smashingly hard from the outset, but it's such a long way to go that would invariably ruin the pace of the game (which, incidentally, is much quicker than any other.)

Also, you mention that there are no real evolutions made from the NES games, but I always saw CIV as the last of that particular strain, kind of a celebration or re-imagining of those previous titles. Its tone, enemies, design: all relate to the NES games - whereas with XX, Rondo, and even X68000 to some degree, it begins to push into new directions.

The bosses are easy until the final third, no doubt about it, and it's only the bosses where any secondary weapon strategy is required, but there are so many of them, who's to complain? And the final set are epic.

Music wise, again, there are so many tracks in the game, it has to be viewed as an ensemble. I personally think the sound chip and arrangements give the game a magic that's above many other titles in the series, new and old - and I love the way the existing themes recur, introduced near the beginning and then revived at the end, right when you need to muster some heroic resolve.

Dracula's Theme is also fascinatingly dark.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:the pace of the game (which, incidentally, is much quicker than any other.)
Huh? No, it's not. Vampire Killer is by far the fastest-moving of the linear games. It's practically a Treasure-esque boss rush in comparison to the first game, Densetsu, IV, X68K and Rondo. It throws out scads of enemies and minibosses, and a skilled player can tear through these at a furious rate by exploiting the already speedier characters' special moves and amped-up subweapons. The changing of scenery and swapping in and out of new setpieces is also noticeably brisker than in the previous games. As the finale of the traditional series it's practically the first game on amphetamines and steroids.
Also, you mention that there are no real evolutions made from the NES games, but I always saw CIV as the last of that particular strain, kind of a celebration or re-imagining of those previous titles. Its tone, enemies, design: all relate to the NES games - whereas with XX, Rondo, and even X68000 to some degree, it begins to push into new directions.
Of the 16-bit efforts, Rondo, VK and especially X68K all play closer to the earlier games - mostly because none of those three ventured very far from Simon Belmont 1986 to begin with*. IV's free whipping is really a massive departure from that disciplined, punishing type of sidescrolling action. It certainly has similar enemies and level layouts, but that's the issue raised in this thread - it's a mismatch. SOTN did the same, but moreso. The enemies it c/p'd in from Rondo are a major threat to that game's Richter but nearly irrelevant in their new settings, with no platforming hazards and Alucard/Richter being insanely more powerful and agile. The gulf between '86 and '91 Simon's abilities isn't nearly as huge (and IV didn't wuss out on the instant death falls / hazards) but it's still noticeable.

For the record, I don't think IV's a bad game or even a bad Dracula (it's on my shelf with all the rest... besides XX). But the criticisms in this thread aren't entirely without merit.

*ignoring Maria; face-smashing medieval weaponry only please.
Vamos

Post by Vamos »

Ah thanks for the advice Bil and skykid i cant believe how easy it actually is haha thats what happens when you watch a TAS of chronicles for tips .
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:
Skykid wrote:the pace of the game (which, incidentally, is much quicker than any other.)
Huh? No, it's not. Vampire Killer is by far the fastest-moving of the linear games.
Sorry BIL, you're absolutely right, I totally forgot about Vampire Killer - that one has arcade pace. :wink:
BIL wrote:Of the 16-bit efforts, Rondo, VK and especially X68K all play closer to the earlier games - mostly because none of those three ventured very far from Simon Belmont 1986 to begin with*. IV's free whipping is really a massive departure from that disciplined, punishing type of sidescrolling action. It certainly has similar enemies and level layouts, but that's the issue raised in this thread - it's a mismatch. SOTN did the same, but moreso. The enemies it c/p'd in from Rondo are a major threat to that game's Richter but nearly irrelevant in their new settings, with no platforming hazards and Alucard/Richter being insanely more powerful and agile. The gulf between '86 and '91 Simon's abilities isn't nearly as huge (and IV didn't wuss out on the instant death falls / hazards) but it's still noticeable.
Absolutely none of this is in dispute, but I was really talking about the aesthetic tone rather than the power and freedom of the whip. I know the whip is a fundamental game-changer, so in terms of how it plays its bound to be different from the more static whipping present in all other titles.

In aesthetics, it seems to me to be like a fanfare, or culmination of the 8-bit titles realised with 16-bit processing power. Again, I'm aware of its relative ease intially, but like I mentioned, I see that as an observation, not a criticism, and one that's not just remedied, but purposely implemented in light of the games eleven very large stages and fourteen bosses. There's so much Castlevania goodness on offer you practically swim through it.

The challenge is there in IV, no doubt about it, it just digs its heels in proper once you get to Drac's castle, which makes sense. Your multidirectional whip doesn't save your ass so much once you're in the lion's mouth.

ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

If Castlevania Chronicles included an arrange version of SCIV with the difficulty and gameplay style of the other two games that would definitely make the game more enjoyable.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:Again, I'm aware of its relative ease intially, but like I mentioned, I see that as an observation, not a criticism, and one that's not just remedied, but purposely implemented in light of the games eleven very large stages and fourteen bosses.
Actually, the relatively mild earlier stages don't bother me at all - IV's bleak atmosphere, subdued OST and feature-length runtime always made it "the cinematic one" of the traditional series. The wildnerness and grounds areas might not have anything on the deathtrap-laden castle, but they're just as atmospheric and expertly soundtracked. There's several spots where the game conspicuously gives a view of the distant rural landscape, always under black skies and layers of rolling dark clouds. Always reminds me of how alone the protagonist is, something not many pure action sidescrollers will do. Aesthetic flourishes like that makes them a pleasure to meander through, where other Draculas like the original and X68K trade more on "concentrate or die!" and VK "kill everything as spectacularly as possible."
Gozer

Post by Gozer »

Chronicles is really great.

Forgive me if this was already posted but hold R1 and L1 while selecting original mode. This will bring up a sound module selection.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:
Skykid wrote:Again, I'm aware of its relative ease intially, but like I mentioned, I see that as an observation, not a criticism, and one that's not just remedied, but purposely implemented in light of the games eleven very large stages and fourteen bosses.
Actually, the relatively mild earlier stages don't bother me at all - IV's bleak atmosphere, subdued OST and feature-length runtime always made it "the cinematic one" of the traditional series. The wildnerness and grounds areas might not have anything on the deathtrap-laden castle, but they're just as atmospheric and expertly soundtracked. There's several spots where the game conspicuously gives a view of the distant rural landscape, always under black skies and layers of rolling dark clouds. Always reminds me of how alone the protagonist is, something not many pure action sidescrollers will do. Aesthetic flourishes like that makes them a pleasure to meander through, where other Draculas like the original and X68K trade more on "concentrate or die!" and VK "kill everything as spectacularly as possible."
Wow, you nailed it spot on. Well articulated. :)

BIL

Post by BIL »

This thread's reappearance made me put some more time into IV. Finally learned to clear the first loop competently, without a smattering of deaths in Block B. Will make no-missing, or nearly, both loops in a sitting my current pet project. The game is so long and loaded with instant deaths it's partially down to concentration, but the second loop is also really good fun. I think it should've been the default difficulty, really... monster presence seems generally doubled, and the lack of breathing room makes the whip's reach more of a necessity than a luxury. The castle entrance (Block 5-2) really stands out, it's dead as a doornail in loop 1 but swarming with a variety of enemies in loop 2.* Methodically taking them all down while keeping track of their unique movement and attack patterns is the kind of action missing from most of loop 1.

*Neat how the enemy that greets Simon at the front door is the game's first whip skeleton. Muhahaha!

Dracula lacking a neat monster transformation in this doesn't bother me much. The fire options are at least pretty interesting to handle, since you can easily paint yourself into a corner if you're careless about dispatching them. Dodging the second half's random lightning bolts is pretty fun too. Definitely preferred to Rondo's aesthetically impressive fight that plays like a shallow copy of the first game's, adding nothing and neutering the original Dracula's near-instant rematerialising.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:Definitely preferred to Rondo's aesthetically impressive fight that plays like a shallow copy of the first game's, adding nothing and neutering the original Dracula's near-instant rematerialising.
Definitely better than XX too. The boss in XX is a cad and a scoundrel, and only becomes more lenient after his transformation because then you can actually see where he is.

This 2nd loop intrigues me. Are the conditions a 1cc? if so, I could always go for emulation and look for a save game, you've made me really eager to try it out now.

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

you only need to beat the game to access CV4's second loop. You start immediately after the credits, if I recall.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, there's no entry requirement. Just hit start at "Presented By Konami" (after taking a moment to marvel at what that phrase once meant...)

One neat thing (and the only reason I'd like to do both on the trot) is that your current life stock carries over to the second loop, giving it a bit of a marathon feeling. Once I'm satisfied I'll probably just start from the second loop via password, kind of like the third game and Vampire Killer have instant "special round" starts (fomer via name entry, latter via Konami code at title).

I can at least respect XX for trying something new, but the implementation made its Dracula more tedious than intense. The musical chairs concept would've worked better confined to a single screen with some kind of complication (moving platforms, spikes, decoy Draculas, etc...). The first Gameboy game does something like this, incidentally.

I actually fired up XX in emulation just now to see if I could get anything out of it. But no, whoever decided to tinker with Rondo Richter's pitch-perfect moving speed killed the entire game for me. Can't stand it. I could even put up with the utterly inferior take on Rondo's fantastic branching route system, since even a vanilla Dracula is still fine gaming and the later stages get nicely tricky. But man, just crossing the screen shouldn't be a test of patience.

I'll probably find some way to strangle some enjoyment out of the damn thing, some day. Even if it's just the box and cart. >_>
Last edited by BIL on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

these posts make me feel bad I've never played Rondo of Blood.

However, I can assuage myself in the satisfaction of saying that I have actually beaten Castlevania III.

Let me tell you I was sweating at the end of that one.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rondo's a really good time - it's an impressively seamless addition of branching paths to linear CV action. Every playthough can be a bit different depending on where you want to go and which bosses you want to see. The SNES/SFC one really is a cheap imitation on that front, unfortunately. What sucks is that even the basic chassis would be a worthy game (backflip + backstep are great additions to Simon '86) but they screwed that up too! >:[

CVIII is balls-hard. I grew up with that version and still kind of miss it. But I'm getting old, so the Famicom version's nice music and milder difficulty keep me happy these days. I've sold out. >_>
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I didn't go through the aquarius stage on my first run of the game, so when I got to drac's castle, Aquarius started playing and I thought to myself "holy shit this is one fucking badass game." The song is just that good. And the Fami version is very great as well.

One of my all-time favorite VGM moments, laden with a thick spoon of rose-tinted nostalgia.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

There's no real excuse anymore for not playing Rondo, it's on the US Virtual Console and the PSP Dracula X Chronicles.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:Yeah, there's no entry requirement. Just hit start at "Presented By Konami" (after taking a moment to marvel at what that phrase once meant...)
Lol, well I missed that boat. Another time I guess.

BIL wrote:One neat thing (and the only reason I'd like to do both on the trot) is that your current life stock carries over to the second loop, giving it a bit of a marathon feeling. Once I'm satisfied I'll probably just start from the second loop via password, kind of like the third game and Vampire Killer have instant "special round" starts (fomer via name entry, latter via Konami code at title).

I can at least respect XX for trying something new, but the implementation made its Dracula more tedious than intense. The musical chairs concept would've worked better confined to a single screen with some kind of complication (moving platforms, spikes, decoy Draculas, etc...). The first Gameboy game does something like this, incidentally.

I actually fired up XX in emulation just now to see if I could get anything out of it. But no, whoever decided to tinker with Rondo Richter's pitch-perfect moving speed killed the entire game for me. Can't stand it. I could even put up with the utterly inferior take on Rondo's fantastic branching route system, since even a vanilla Dracula is still fine gaming and the later stages get nicely tricky. But man, just crossing the screen shouldn't be a test of patience.

I'll probably find some way to strangle some enjoyment out of the damn thing, some day. Even if it's just the box and cart. >_>
Actually, XX isn't that bad if you don't make the cardinal sin of playing any other much superior CV just prior, because it instantly highlights all of its deficiencies. If you give the series a break and come back for XX on a rainy day, there's still some enjoyment to be had from it - it's not a bad game per se, just not a great CV.

It's pretty easy too once you get around the stiffness of the controls, and much shorter than IV. The only annoyances are triggering those hidden routes because of medusa heads + gaps + tricky controls.