Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Op Intensify

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by Op Intensify »

Nah, Double X is a rotten Castlevania no matter how you spin it. I think it was actually the first CV I played after SotN, and I still hated it. Idiotic stage design gimmicks and boring layouts? The most obnoxious use of the Medusa heads ever? Can't use subweapons for a long period if you want the key? One hit from Dracula instantly screws you out of the best ending? Really, what were they smoking? The SNES was more than capable of a faithful port of Rondo, sans the animated intro and CD audio. Going from 8 to 16-bit should never be a downgrade.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Op Intensify wrote:Nah, Double X is a rotten Castlevania no matter how you spin it. I think it was actually the first CV I played after SotN, and I still hated it. Idiotic stage design gimmicks and boring layouts? The most obnoxious use of the Medusa heads ever? Can't use subweapons for a long period if you want the key? One hit from Dracula instantly screws you out of the best ending? Really, what were they smoking? The SNES was more than capable of a faithful port of Rondo, sans the animated intro and CD audio. Going from 8 to 16-bit should never be a downgrade.
^ I agree with all of this, although playing after SOTN is definitely part of the problem. It's got some really poor structuring in there and stage layout feels cut n' paste most of the time. Not using subweapons to get the key is part of the challenge, so I don't mind that aspect. Dracula is a complete fail though.

Certainly sits below most others in the series (somewhere with Legends) but it's still a playable game in comparison to other action adventure series on the SFC.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

It's honestly just the crippled walking speed that bugs me - unfortunately it really does bug the hell out of me, since I largely play action sidescrollers for the joy of moving efficiently, and XX Richter walks like he's got 50lb weights on his ankles. Not idle hyperbole, just look at him thrashing his arms while moving at a snail's pace. When you're preoccupied with fighting or platforming it's almost unnoticeable, which is why I dislike the first stage more than the rest combined (and why I'll often just close the ROM there if I'm not in a tolerant mood).

Like I said some posts/months back I do enjoy the aggressively bare-bones challenge, particularly in the Atlantis and Clock Tower stages. The fact there's really only two routes, "GOOD" and "BAD END" is dumb, but I liked the game enough to clear both. It's just really hard for me to accept even a half-botched traditional Dracula when all the others are good to excellent.
Op Intensify wrote:One hit from Dracula instantly screws you out of the best ending?
One hit from a medusa head - it's the columns area of stage 3 that'll instantly boot you into "BAD END" land.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

One hit from a medusa head - it's the columns area of stage 3 that'll instantly boot you into "BAD END" land.
Thanks for clarifying, haven't played the game in years for obvious reasons. The Dracula fight is similarly awful with the pits and pillars though.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Op Intensify wrote:The Dracula fight is similarly awful with the pits and pillars though.
It is ravenously frustrating. And it's not that he's not doable, but the process of learning (avoiding watching replays) is like banging your head into a brick wall because you require a certain number of hearts to utilise axes efficiently, and that means when you die you're forced to replay the entire stage just to get a few more attempts on the guy.
BIL wrote:Like I said some posts/months back I do enjoy the aggressively bare-bones challenge, particularly in the Atlantis and Clock Tower stages.
Weird this. I knuckled down to XX a while ago -- and like you I normally just got angry at Richter's cement boots and shoved the game back on the the shelf -- but once I persevered and got the backflip timing down etc, I found it fairly easy until the Drac fight.

There wasn't much resistance and most of the bosses went down without much fuss. I didn't achieve the good ending cos I got batted from the pillars in stage 3, but I figured I'll attempt that another time.

But in difficulty terms, Chronicles (original & arrange) is definitely tougher than XX bar the last boss.

BIL, I was meaning to ask: you 1CC'd IV in how long? There's a lot of game to perfect there, I was wondering if you use save states and learn each level individually before attempting the full clear?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:BIL, I was meaning to ask: you 1CC'd IV in how long? There's a lot of game to perfect there, I was wondering if you use save states and learn each level individually before attempting the full clear?
Nope - I like to play oldschool Draculas in one sitting, and I've never liked savestates in general. I have to decide something's utterly bullshit to consider using them, like Salamander's fourth boss*.

I've been playing IV on and off for years now and have been able to clear it for some time, but I'd usually die many times in the last four stages (blocks 8, 9, A and B), where the pits and instant deaths start piling up. Since extends are pretty frequent it's not hard to wheeze over the finish line even then. It's only recently I sat down and really figured the game out. I didn't know that the rapier-wielding skeletons in the opening of Stage B can't hit you while you're ducking, for example. The only place I'll commonly die in the first loop now is that fucking flickery bridge at the end of Block 8, if it's being particularly random, or the death race to the top of Block B-2 if I accidentally trigger a disintegrating stairway. I know I can improve on the former, and the latter is just a matter of being very careful to not hit up/diagonal up while in the air.

It's not that I find XX remarkably difficult (it's only about average mostly, with X68K/Chronicles Original Mode and Castlevania III [NES] easily the most difficult of the old games). But with it lacking anything special compared to the other four post-FC Draculas, the simple, strict gameplay is the only thing that stands out about it. The stage 3 pillars are a ridiculously extreme example, but the Atlantis stage (good route only) also demands precision with its relentless homing ghosts, and the Clock Tower has some nice staircase battling with tricky placements of pikemen. The semi-free roaming last stage is interesting as well. The harsh hitstun+knockback, considerable damage per hit to Richter and short invincibility recovery window make avoiding any and all hits a priority too, almost X68K-like. I actually prefer XX's Death battle to Rondo's since it puts you between his scythe and a pit without much room for error. Thank god you can get the good ending and still fight him.

Without the patience-testing cement boots it'd be an unremarkable but competent Dracula with the unfortunate stigma of being a hacked-down Rondo. Unfortunately, it has the patience-testing cement boots. :/ I should emphasise, I don't find the effect difficult, just irritating and utterly pointless. If I die the first thing I think is "time to trudge down that hallway again."

By the way, having to hold onto that key in stage 3 isn't entirely bad, since its Item Crash is an unlimited-use invincible dodge that can actually kill enemies. Very useful in the ghost-infested vertical shaft where Maria is being held.

*"just make sure a credit's already been played and he won't shoot!" "hide in the corner lolololol !" Yeah, no. I learned how to POINTBLANK THAT COCKSUCKER ON A FRESH BOOTUP
Neith

Post by Neith »

In case this hasn't been mentioned yet there is a fan translated version of the Japanese Symphony of the Night available (Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku) that has the original Japanese voices, a much more literal and imo better translation for all of the dialogue, menus, enemy names and item names. If you are a fan of the game it may be worth checking out. I've been playing it on my modded PS2.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

In case this hasn't been mentioned yet there is a fan translated version of the Japanese Symphony of the Night available (Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku) that has the original Japanese voices, a much more literal and imo better translation for all of the dialogue, menus, enemy names and item names. If you are a fan of the game it may be worth checking out
Isn't this what the version on Dracula X Chronicles already is? Is it just a backport of the same script + an undub to PS1? Does it use the Playstation the Best release version with the Fairy's hidden song?

TCRF has some very interesting pages relating to SotN. The most curious stuff is the voiced dialogue for a canned ending where Maria gets possessed by Shaft (and apparently would be fought as a boss), and the huge text file on the Saturn version's disc with notes from the developers. The guy who says he programmed Olrox seems to have a really long rant about getting a parking ticket.
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

I used to be able to 1cc IV with no damage taken but i've not touched it in so long i doubt i could now. It is mostly muscle memory and i'd completely avoid whipping certain candles that i'd long forgotton the reasons why. i'd always put the password in for the second loop as it had become too easy on the initial playthrough. The second loop gives enemies before entering the castle extra hp but i don't think it affects anything after this point.

If i died at all it would only be in the library where you're forced to make some difficult jumps over floating books but with the boomerang and tripple shot nearly all bosses bar flying ones are made trivial and die in seconds.

There are plenty of secret rooms where you can stock up on items if you have somehow lost your boomerang and tripple shot; one in the castle where you break the green floor and find the caretaker and his ghost dog (he cries if you kill it) and another in the treasury where you're sucked into a specific cave.

unfortunately this really doesn't amount to much as iv really is the easiest of them all and i've never come close to 1ccing any others.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Leader Bee wrote:i'd completely avoid whipping certain candles that i'd long forgotton the reasons why. i'd always put the password in for the second loop as it had become too easy on the initial playthrough. The second loop gives enemies before entering the castle extra hp but i don't think it affects anything after this point.
The level designers clearly liked to put the dagger in candles directly over Simon's head, making it easy to grab by accident if you're just whipping every one you see. I learned quickly where these were, so I wouldn't screw up my 3x cross or axe. The one located between two instant-kill spikeboxes in stage 8 is particularly nasty, you won't be able to move out of the way if it's hit from below.

In loop 2 game-long enemies like skeletons and bone pillars will have their extra "in the castle" hitpoint from the very start, it's true. Besides that there are many enemies added throughout the loop. Obvious examples being lots more enemies guarding the front door, more axe knights in the entry hall, and rapier skeletons in B-2's death race (nasty), along with lots of extra bats as per usual for Dracula second loops.

Bosses don't seem different at all. Going by beating loop 2 Death on my first go despite being pretty crap at his first loop version, for now. Speaking of... as neat as Vampire Killer's card shark boss rush Death and Rondo's chatty tophat / skeleton ninja Death are, IV's is now my favourite incarnation of him. No talking, no tricks, just the goddamn grim reaper with burning red eyes in a black cloak, fought in front of the most evilly flash curtains I've ever seen. That sudden downward cleave attack is badass. I can imagine him swooping silently out of a dreary Romanian sky and slicing a cow clean the fuck in half with it just because.

Room of Close Associates is an incredible near-endgame tune. Gothic horror action adventure climax approaching! The erratic yet menacing theme of Dracula's bodyguards sets up the sublimely ethereal darkness of his own perfectly.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always wondered what was up with the "Tokumashoten Intermedia" trademark in Vampire Killer's end credits. Just enjoyed an Expert run, then looked 'em up and learned they were publishers of Mega Drive Fan, which ran a "design your own monster" contest for the game.

Have to say, the gold and silver-winning entries are great additions. I love obliterating the st4 robo-beetles in one blast of John's special and bringing the framerate to its knees in a screen-full of flames and scrap. And the st5 skeleton monkeys never get old to take down, with you needing to be a few pixels outside of their striking range to not take their nasty backlash attack. That rolling coconut attack they bust out if you're being chicken is great too. Easy to lose most of your life if you're at all clumsy in that opening garden area.

The three bronze (unused) entries do kind of suck though. Yay for standards!
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

About the Dracula fight in XX: you can easily kill him (especially his second form) with axes. Unlike in Rondo, Axes in XX can hit multiple times on the way up and down, so they deal a lot of damage to Dracula's huge sprite. I just mashed axes at him and he was gone quickly.

I don't think XX is THAT bad (probably because I played it before the game it's based on), but yeah it is significantly worse than Rondo.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I used to have a hard time on the XX final battle. That is, until I figured out that you don't get knocked back if you duck. It makes the fight much easier. You just have to be patient with when and how you attack. Other than that, I think the difficulty on the fight is overblown.

As far as XX itself, I think it's crap compared to the original game it's based on. However, with that said, I think it's still a fun, linear Castlevania game, basic in the truest sense of the word. It has some decent visuals, a quality soundtrack, and some basic, fun gameplay. It's just that the elements that made Rondo the AAA masterpiece it is, are mostly gone (i.e., multiple path selections, extra playable character, save functionality along with a percentage/completion counter, demo/help replays, etc.).
CID

Post by CID »

circuitface wrote:
Leader Bee wrote:
circuitface wrote:I live for Castlevania.
I got a chance to play through the Famicom Disk System versions of Castlevania and Simon's Quest recently and it inspired me to track down some of the more obscure entries. The amiga version of the original is so hilariously awful!
Don't forget there's a castlevania pachislot game and an arcade cab similar to the wii that's kinda like a lightgun game but you whip stuff.
Three pachislot games and one medal machine! I've got a friend & fellow Castlevania fanatic who's teaching English in Japan right now I have asked to hunt the arcade down just so I could get his impressions. I asked him to film his playthrough if he could as the last I checked all the YouTube videos are of terrible quality.
I'd love to add The Pachislot games to my collection. Currently my prize is a complete dedicated Haunted Castle.
Last edited by CID on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." ~ Trevor Goodchild

Always looking for obscure Castlevania ports and related items.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Keep the Haunted Castle; it's a game. Can't say that about pachislot.

Did I mention the time I completed the bridge run in Dracula XX by only backflipping? I made a ZSNES movie recording too.
njiska

Post by njiska »

So I sat down today with the intention of finally beating Castlevania. It's something I've never done before, mainly due to getting pissed off at the Stage 4 boss. Well, I was having a great run, beat Death, got ready to face the final stage and this shit happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriP5aGrkDU

FUCKING NES!
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Frankenstein/Igor and Death can be easy-cheesed with triple Holy Water and Boomerang, respectively. Make sure to get and keep those weapons for minimum resistance from them. Frankie won't even get to move if you do it right and smack Igor in the face with the bottles as they head groundward.

edit: I've been playing Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow recently. Bleh. Fun while they last, never want to see them again after (been a decade since the last go at each).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The GBA games are honestly all pretty mediocre. So are the DS games with the exception of Order of Ecclesia (at least for me). Dawn of Sorrow is fun, but too many DS gimmick moments (like those totally random crystal blocks you have to tap and destroy... and fucking boss seals), and Portrait of Ruin just bored the hell out of me.
njiska

Post by njiska »

EmperorIng wrote:The GBA games are honestly all pretty mediocre. So are the DS games with the exception of Order of Ecclesia (at least for me). Dawn of Sorrow is fun, but too many DS gimmick moments (like those totally random crystal blocks you have to tap and destroy... and fucking boss seals), and Portrait of Ruin just bored the hell out of me.
Wow, that's the complete opposite of how I feel. I love Portrait of Ruin, found Dawn of Sorrow alright and was bored by Ecclesia.
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
DragonInstall

Post by DragonInstall »

The only castlevania game that I liked was CV4 snes and Order of Ecclesia. Everything else I would try and get bored eventually, although I will say that CV5 has some awesome music.

I know people will go, "WTF!" at this, but I never played the psx Castlevania game. I see it on xbox live and was wondering if it's worth trying. I don't like maze like games too much, which is why I liked Ecclesia, since it wasn't just a huge castle.
Espgaluda III needs to happen.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Couldn't hurt to try, SOTN's an easy game to like. Smooth controls and gorgeous audiovisuals. The exploration aspect is pretty casual as well, as long as you read item descriptions and pay attention to the map it's not a game where you'll end up at a dead end.
njiska

Post by njiska »

However, if you're not a fan of Dawn or Portrait's Castle design, then you'll probably not care for it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

DragonInstall wrote:I see it on xbox live and was wondering if it's worth trying.
Downloading the demo certainly couldn't hurt. If memory serves the XBL version is a port of the US PS1 release, which means the cheese-tacular voice acting remains...though I certainly can't hate on Konami for redoing the voiceovers for the unlockable SotN on Dracula X Chronicles, I almost wish they'd included the option to enable the older voices. Guess I'm just weird, but since they were there when I first played the game on PS1 it just feels weird not to chuckle and shake your head at the utterly painful imp helper when you happen by a switch.
njiska

Post by njiska »

It's based on the US version, but it's missing the cinematics. JP version had them patched in, if I remember. Ah the good old days of the 50MB XBLA size limit and SOTN's special exception.

As for the version on Drac X, I like the new translation, because it is a BETTER translation, but at the same time, nostalgia has me longing for, "What is a man!?". Complete agree that an option for both would have been cool. Guess this is why new FF ports keep classic bad lines like "Spoony bard" in new translations.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

YOU BROKE MY SPELL.

I LLLLLIKE THAT.
e_tank

Post by e_tank »

njiska wrote:As for the version on Drac X, I like the new translation, because it is a BETTER translation, but at the same time, nostalgia has me longing for, "What is a man!?". Complete agree that an option for both would have been cool. Guess this is why new FF ports keep classic bad lines like "Spoony bard" in new translations.
i completely agree with this.

regardless of how you may feel about the dracx-sotn translation, it at least appears as if they put a lot of effort and care into it. hell, they even translated the hidden fairy song! and even more shockingly, it's much improved over the original, thanks to the talents of the english singer. not sure who it is, but i've seen people claim it's melissa fahn (edward from cowboy bebop), which seems probable as she apparently did voicework on 2 other castlevania games. definitely a must listen, though - youtube link here
njiska

Post by njiska »

BIL wrote:Frankenstein/Igor and Death can be easy-cheesed with triple Holy Water and Boomerang, respectively. Make sure to get and keep those weapons for minimum resistance from them. Frankie won't even get to move if you do it right and smack Igor in the face with the bottles as they head groundward.

edit: I've been playing Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow recently. Bleh. Fun while they last, never want to see them again after (been a decade since the last go at each).
I tried using the Holy Water on Frank, but fucked up. Ended up beating him after two tries with the dagger. Death beaten with the Holy Water, but I nearly capped him with the Boomerang on my previous attempt. I know what to do with the guys and that's not a huge concern for me. It was just a piss off to crash after beating them. Going to try again in a few minutes. I've never been a good Castlevania player, but I really kinda want to beat this one.
Domino

Post by Domino »

SCIV was amazing on the SNES. One of the few SNES OSTs that I enjoy a lot.

Dracula X ROB was great for the branching paths and killer OST and leveling design.

SOTN was an amazing title that uses the PS1 hardware in good taste (and flexed the PS1 2D capabilities). After playing SOTN it's like the later Metroidvanias are not as good as SOTN IMO. I guess because SOTN was on a console (a main title) compare to the handheld games. I dunno, I get that feel when playing the handheld titles.
njiska

Post by njiska »

I swear if there is a god, he hates me. Game frozen at the same spot in Stage 6 again. Going to try cleaning the Cart, NES to Famicom adapter and the AV Famicom. Hopefully this resolves it. Still I'll be amazed if it's a contact issue killing me that late in the game. Probably won't get to try again until next week.
Gozer

Post by Gozer »

Halloween is approaching so VGMpire is doing a three part Castlevania podcast.

First part involves NES and GB Castlevania.