The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
cj iwakura

Re: The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

Post by cj iwakura »

ZellSF wrote:
boagman wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:Honestly I think the 3DS will die before the Vita.
I'd take that action, but it would also depend on how we define the word "die", too.
I think Vita will have the last game releases, but 3DS hardware production will end last.
Yep. Well, 3DS already won that battle, didn't it?
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Not really? Amazon.co.jp are still selling new Vitas, so I assume they're still being produced.

Just wanted to comment on two new Vita releases. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony runs fairly well on Vita. Loading times are a bit annoying, but they're they stylized area transition loading times that I'm guessing are fixed length even on more powerful hardware. There's also sometimes some really blurry thing going on when transitioning between scenes that is mildly distracting. Retail cartridge sadly does not included high quality voice acting or Japanese voice acting, both included in a combined 1.5GB download (with space at a premium on many Vitas, why are these not separated?) and there's a day 1 patch you might want that solves a potentially game ending issue. So not all that good for people who buy retail to have a copy that's not reliant on servers. So far after the 1st case it feels like a weaker entry in the series than the first two games, but it's still pretty good.

I haven't spent much time with Steamworld Dig 2. It runs great, but scaling is a bit on the blurry side. You might say that's expected, but Steamworld Heist looked sharper to me. I'm guessing unlike Steamworld Heist they didn't change the viewport size for Vita. Which is an understandable design decision.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Got my vita about a month ago and loving it. Finished the first Danganropa and liked it. Darius Burst seems to play well on it, but I only played a few levels.

Playing Axiom Verge right now, and it's fun, although I wish they had a better map.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Finished Danganronpa V3. Definitely not as good as the second one and nowhere near as good as the first one, but if you want more Danganronpa then it's still pretty good. No real complaints about how it runs on the Vita.

Finally got Undertale, haven't started it yet but it does a pixel perfect 1:1 scale of the 640x480 original. So some small black bars on the Vita's 960x544 display. Probably preferably to trying to scale it though. Physical copy does not have patches applied :(

La-Mulana Ex is getting a physical release through Limited Run games and Darkest Dungeon is getting an Asian retail release (no clue if English included).

I just noticed a scratch on my Vita. It's minor, but my OCD about these kinds of thing sadly is not minor. I haven't bought a new Vita yet, I don't think I'm going to... but I said that about my 3DS and PSP too.
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

I bought my Vita a few months back and everytime I play it, I feel a bit sad for the lack of support that Sony gives to it.

It's hands down the best OS on any portable console ever. The battery life when in sleep mode, along with the speed that you can turn it on again on that mode is amazing (beats even the PS4 and XB1 on that sense).

But then, you look at the PSN Store, and things start getting bad.

A lot of games launched 2 or 3 years ago still at full price, as if Sony don't even care to take a look at the library and see that things like Ninja Gaiden Sigma is still 60 USD. It gets even worse when the weekly sales and you have like 100 PS4 games and 5 or 6 PS Vita games.

Some games like La Mulana, Binding of Isaac, the mentioned Ninja Gaiden and some others I really wanted don't go on sale for more than a year.

Anyway, I still have a lot of fun with it. I love 2d platformers and roguelites, so I have a lot of options to play.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Iconoclasts, Papers Please and Stardew Valley have been recently reaffirmed to be coming to the Vita. They're not really my sort of thing (though Iconoclasts looks slightly interesting), but look to be fairly high quality titles to be some of the last Vita games.

Limited Run Games releases for this Friday are Steamworld Dig and Steamworld Heist. I didn't like Steamworld Dig, but Steamworld Heist is GOTY material for me.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Didn't see it earlier, but the SteamWorld Heist physical release will get PSTV support :?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Catherine is getting a Vita release. Everybody expected the PS4 port when Atlus was teasing it, but a Vita port in addition is a surprise. No word on localization yet.

I missed Super Hydorah coming to Vita. I think I get some framerate drops (not quite sure, will have to compare it with the PS4 version), but it's unobtrusive and the pixel art looks really nice. I'm guessing it's native resolution, again though haven't looked closely enough to be sure.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Turrican wrote:Am I definitely insane in hoping that [Secret of Mana] too will support PSTV?
BulletMagnet wrote:At this point is there any reason for it not to?
...Maybe they're a bunch of fucking idiots?
X - P - B
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Saw the cool new fighting game by the name of Under Night In Birth Exe:Late[st] on the USA PSN site that was released on 2/09/2018 for the PS Vita handheld:
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... ST00000000 The cool opening intro runs at an arcade-spec 60fps framerate and is super sliky-smooth nevertheless. The entire fighting engine runs at 60fps through and through.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

soo... the system's quite dead now... what are its true hidden gems in retrospective?
X - P - B
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Severed comes most quickly to mind for me - it's been ported to 3DS and smartphone, but was definitely built with the Vita's particular touchscreen/physical button interface in mind. Few of the system's games really bothered much with that...most other stuff I played on the Vita was fairly "traditional" stuff that worked fine, but also frequently got ports to PC and elsewhere (Exhibit A being Gravity Rush) that were by most metrics superior simply because of the higher-spec hardware that allowed them to run better.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Turrican wrote:soo... the system's quite dead now... what are its true hidden gems in retrospective?
Hidden gems is a bit tricky on Vita. Hiddens gems is usually about obscure Japan-only or indie releases no one plays. But that's the majority of the Vita library. Everyone who plays a lot of Vita games is likely to know about everything that I could mention.

Cosmic Star Heroine is being released in the US next PSN store update. No word on the physical release yet (Limited Run Games is supposed to be doing one).
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ugh, is Cosmic Star Heroine really almost 7gb of stuff? With such a size, physical is the way to go...
X - P - B
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Turrican wrote:ugh, is Cosmic Star Heroine really almost 7gb of stuff? With such a size, physical is the way to go...
No, cross-buy games generally show the combined size of the versions on the PSN store. I don't know the actual size though.

It supposedly doesn't support PSTV. This is just getting pathetic from Sony's side.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ZellSF wrote:It supposedly doesn't support PSTV. This is just getting pathetic from Sony's side.
Apparently ticking a box is an unsurmontable coding problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaTV/comment ... t_be_pstv/
X - P - B
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Turrican wrote:
ZellSF wrote:It supposedly doesn't support PSTV. This is just getting pathetic from Sony's side.
Apparently ticking a box is an unsurmontable coding problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaTV/comment ... t_be_pstv/
I get the impression from the tone of that thread they're accusing the developer for being at fault and I disagree, a lot. Even if it is just a box to check for the CSH devs, it brings to mind two questions:

1: If the game doesn't use any gyro/touch APIs, why is Sony even allowing it to not work on a PSTV? This shouldn't even be an option.

2: Why is Sony doing zero followup with devs to make sure the games work optimally across their hardware? Not supporting PSTV when not using gyro/touch features should make the game fail submission under Sony's QA guidelines.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yeah but, you know... That Sony has been terrible with device support has been known since it came out. And this guys has been developing his RPG for years, well before PSTV was a thing. In my opinion, to alienate fans (however niche they may be) for a weekend amount of work (let's be generous here) leaves a sour aftertaste in mouth.

I mean... it's caring for details such as these that nowadays should differentiate you bedroom coder from the like of Squenix.
X - P - B
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Preorder for Cosmic Star Heroine physical release is now available at Limited Run Games. Preorders close in June, so if you want it might not want to delay for too long.

Stardew Valley is out now. It's not my type of game so I haven't tried it, but it's supposedly a pretty big thing.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Tribute is still determined to release Mercenary Kings Reloaded in physical form, they're just wrestling to patch a couple bugs, that's the reason for the delay.

Also, has anyone here played Reverie yet? Impressions?
X - P - B
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Roundabout had a bit of a stealth release for the Vita. I was sure this wasn't happening and well... it probably shouldn't have. Locking the game at 15 FPS probably would be an improvement over the really inconsistent sub-30 FPS performance this port has.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Very nice guide on PS TV hacking by Dimitri, a great Youtuber and coder of emulators himself(Modern Vintage Gamer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KGzaz4y8Jg

I didn't even know it was possible to play all games(except the handful that need camera) using Whitelistr
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Austin

Post by Austin »

FinalBaton wrote:Very nice guide on PS TV hacking by Dimitri, a great Youtuber and coder of emulators himself(Modern Vintage Gamer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KGzaz4y8Jg

I didn't even know it was possible to play all games(except the handful that need camera) using Whitelistr
Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to look into hacking my PS TV for a while now, so this should do the trick. The limited whitelist Sony had implemented always kept me from really using it, despite having one since launch. I'd love to finally dig into the Vita games I want to play that weren't originally "compatible" (which is a lot, ugh).