The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shelcoof

Re: The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

Post by Shelcoof »

Anyone have info on SD Gundam or Super Robot Wars series?

Both are getting an English Asian release for the Vita and PS4. I've been trying to find more info on what type of games they are before I go ahead and pre-order the games.

I've found Japanese play through of SD Gundam but I really can't make much of it seeing how I can't understand Japanese. Game looks really basic and sort of boring. Can anyone explain whats going on in the game?

Super Robot Wars all I'm finding are cut scenes of battles. Can't say I recognize anything that is actual in game.

So pretty much to sum it all up I have no idea what these games are. All I know is that they are super popular in Japan. I'm looking to find out if any of these two games have much depth to them.

The two games look somewhat like Project X Zone in a way where its all just Eye Candy with little substance. If that is the case I'll pass on picking them up.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

FYI: First batch of Limited Run's 2400 physical copies of Volume sold out in about 30 minutes. The second and last batch of 2400 goes on sale @ 6:00pm EST today. - metacritic.com
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

That means I could've waited until I got home from work with ordering.

Volume definitely is one of the better games LRG has released so far. Apparently, we're getting Stealth Inc and Lone Survivor next. Lone Survivor is supposed to be good, but IMO Stealth Inc is pretty bad.

Shovel Knight Vita is shipping now.

Last game I finished on my Vita was Steamworld Heist which was really good. If you want some light strategic turn based gaming, you really should look into this.

Planning on Darkest Dungeon next, the Vita/PS4 ports are supposedly pretty good.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Waiting for them to announce the date for Oddworld: Strangers Wrath HD (Howdy, Doctor) (fyi: US$29.99 + S/H on 2016-12-09 10:00 & 18:00 EST as announced on 2016-11-19) - got the original for the (original) Xbox but I'm more likely to get around to in on the Vita. (metacritic.com)
Last edited by HydrogLox on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qmish

Post by qmish »

According to Cacophanus, that new Macross Delta game by Artdink on Vita is awesome, improving what they learned from already good PSP releases of series.

Random video of gameplay
Review on MechaDamashii ^_^
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Okay, so. I got myself a Vita about a week ago. It's an OLED model, on firmware 3.60, and already had Henkaku, in fact. Previous owner had put RetroArch on it already.

So, anyway. I didn't get it "clean", obviously, and one thing that's been bothering me is that the user profile, or whatever, on it is just called "user072" and I would obviously like to change that. My googling hasn't led me much of anywhere on this. From what I can tell, it sounds like I have to restore the system to change username/account/whatever. I'm quite sure there's absolutely no PSN account on this thing.

Things I've learned is that I shouldn't go online with a PSN account with Henkaku running, that Henkaku has to be reactivated through selecting an e-mail every time I shut the system off (so every time I start using it because I never use sleep mode on my systems), and that I'm going to have to basically start over with obtaining Henkaku when I get a bigger memory card (alas, this one came with only a 4GB card)

So is it safe for me to use online features if I simply don't activate Henkaku after restarting the system (not that I've activated Henkaku for anything at all yet)? And if I want to change that user072 name to something else, is using the Restore This System option the only way? And if I use that, but don't format the memory card, would all the Henkaku stuff disappear?

I've also heard that the firmware spoofers have stopped working, which even further means no PSN store. Really starting to wonder how worth it Henkaku really is, here... something tells me I'll eventually come across a game I want to play that will require s newer firmware.

Apart from emulators, remind me again what Henkaku is useful for and what incentive I have to keep it? I mean, sure, emulators are fun and could be nice to have portable, but I didn't get a Vita to play non-Vita games, y'know?

Edit: So okay, googling led me to at least find out that if I do sign in to a PSN account, user### will change to that name, which should mean it'll have the same settings and save files and whatnot, so I won't have to start over with anything like that. Still.
Last edited by KennyMan666 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

The only reason I put Henkaku on my system is so I could play the Persona 4 Golden undub (ie. Japanese audio). Never having to hear that godawful English Chie again makes it well worth it to me.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Fan translations are also a thing. Though not out yet I would want I Am Setsuna on my Vita.

But yes, if you're like me the new Vita releases are much more important than that. Speaking of which, Volgarr the Viking is out now. Haven't actually gotten time to try it yet though.
szycag

Post by szycag »

qmish wrote: Random video of gameplay
Looks like the account got terminated. I just got my Vita collection about where I want it from domestic stuff, although I know I'd love some more imports.
That is Galactic Dancing
qmish

Post by qmish »

Looks like non-official videos are shutdown because of issues with licensed music.

There are some offscreen shoots though
https://youtu.be/y4n3V5mU2r0?t=33

Still sad about lost video as it was recorded by decent player and featured some space themed level. Maybe better look for footages on niconico instead.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Huh. Ys Origin is coming to the Vita. Did not see that coming.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

ZellSF wrote:Huh. Ys Origin is coming to the Vita. Did not see that coming.
Wow I have this game on steam when it was on sale but never got around to playing it because.... well I never really play on my PC

Vita release sounds good :)
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

We're getting Valkyria Revolution.

If you haven't been following the news, this game is not related to Valkyria Chronicles. It's set in a different setting (though very similiar), has different gameplay (ARPG) and a different composer. I suspect it's a rebranded Shining game or something.

Stuff that makes me very worried about the game's quality, though I do want to see another high budget Vita game from Japan.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Was bored so I got Volgarr and Slain. Volgarr is very fun and the Vita port is perfect .

Slain seems to not be as good and the Vita port is pretty bad (30 FPS, bad downscaling with obvious scaling artifacts).

So Slain was sort of a waste of money, Volgarr is something I'll be playing frequently and still never finish because I'm terrible at video games.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

http://www.futurlab.co.uk/velocity-2x-p ... eases.html
Velocity 2X getting a physical release. This listed in Spanish retailers previously alongside Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition. Something to keep an eye on since I'm doubting there'll be that many copies of either.

Axiom Verge is one of the best games I've played recently. I can't comment on Velocity 2X, though it has been highly praised by a lot of people I respect.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Finally got The Nonary Games. Playing it now and then and wow is it a massive improvement over the DS version. The redrawn art looks fantastic (in a way different league than say Ace Attorney Trilogy on the 3DS) and the voice acting plus separate volume controls for everything removes what's easily the worst part of the game (those "voice" sounds in 999 are so grating on the ears and you can't turn them down if you want to listen to the music). I know they had to do some changes to an important story event, but even despite that I think you would have to be mad to recommend someone who has never played the game to start with the DS version now.

There's also the new build of Virtue's Last Reward. I heard they changed one, maybe two voice actors for consistency in voice actors in the series.

Speaking of visual novels, I finished Steins;Gate 0 and if you think Steins;Gate was pretty mediocre like I did, Steins;Gate 0 is actually a pretty huge improvement, despite the problems it has because it tries to shoehorn new character and story elements into an existing plot. Though I wouldn't recommend either to most people. But if you were a fan of the Steins;Gate (why?) then you should pick Steins;Gate 0 up.

In very disappointing news, both Cosmic Star Heroine and Rain World have announced release dates with the important caveat that the Vita version is coming later. I believe the developers of Cosmic Star Heroine, not so sure about Rain World.

On more potential vaporware I'm starting to get really worried about Roundabout and VA-11 HALL-A. Maybe a tad worried about The Banner Saga too (it would be weird for Sony to take over development just to cancel it, but where is it?).

Salt & Sanctuary is released, supposedly not a too bad port, but it's not my thing so I haven't tried it.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/12/ro ... n-release/
For the Vita, as well as mobile versions. Amazing Kenji Ito soundtrack, and one of the best boss sprites design games of the SNES/SFC.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
CIT

Post by CIT »

ZellSF wrote:if you were a fan of the Steins;Gate (why?)
Cuz great writing, interesting plot, well-developed characters? Hands down the best VN I've ever played.

Didn't know there were plans for VA-11 HALL-A to hit Vita, thanks for the heads up! Would be nice if it makes it.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ZellSF wrote:I know they had to do some changes to an important story event, but even despite that
Sounds like censorship; please elaborate (or provide a link).

I got the good ending on DS and it's one of the great titles for the system. Honestly I couldn't bear to finish the sequel, it seemed so watered down.
X - P - B
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Turrican wrote:
ZellSF wrote:I know they had to do some changes to an important story event, but even despite that
Sounds like censorship; please elaborate (or provide a link).

I got the good ending on DS and it's one of the great titles for the system. Honestly I couldn't bear to finish the sequel, it seemed so watered down.
It's not censorship, it's specific to the DS hardware itself.
Spoiler
Two screens. If you want to know how, just watch the true ending on Youtube.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I'm considering getting a second tv for my PSTV... a 24' should do the trick.

Now... Am I correct that I should looking for an "HD Ready"(*) screen that outputs max at 720p?

Because, that way I'd get PSTV's max 720p resolution without any interpolation.

Any suggestions? Serial codes and store links are welcome.

(*) of course, this name isn't exactly anymore popular in stores.
X - P - B
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Ys Origin is out, and despite the late port (which is usually a worrying sign) it seems surprisingly competent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpYgzHuZq3g
Of course I'm waiting for the Limited Run Games physical release so I can't comment personally.

Speaking of games that are out now, seems to be surprisingly decently ported and is eventually coming to Limited Run games, Oceanhorn looks nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHx3xYo1Oc0
Turrican wrote:I'm considering getting a second tv for my PSTV... a 24' should do the trick.

Now... Am I correct that I should looking for an "HD Ready"(*) screen that outputs max at 720p?

HD ready TVs were mostly 1366x768 and not 1280x720 native. You'll have a really hard time finding a 1280x720 native display.

And you're already getting an interpolated image anyway (960x544 > 1280x720) so it's not like you would gain a lot of image quality if you were to somehow find a native 1280x720 display.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Turrican wrote:I'm considering getting a second tv for my PSTV... a 24' should do the trick.

Since you're looking for a 24 inch PS TV specific display, maybe you can look into the Playstation 3D Display?

It's 24 inch 1080p and it claims a 240Hz refresh rate, although I'm not sure if it's native 240Hz or "augmented" 240Hz. but it's got a mode to zoom the PSP picture to fill the whole screen. I haven't seen it in person, but since it was pretty much made with the PSP in mind, I'm guessing it should be decent and scale PSP at least as good as the larger Sony TVs, maybe better. Seems like that might fit the bill for you and seems definitely worth investigating upon.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

That just reminds me that I hadn't done my pre-order for Ys Origins PS4 on Play-Asia yet.
Done now
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I understand...

Finalbaton, a 240hz 24' full HD is a little too much for what I was looking for... Sweet little thing though, I didn't even know it existed.

ZellSF, thanks, I've found this discussion:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=192537

I wonder... How exactly hard would be trying to get one 1280x720 panel? And which would be the best channels for hunting one down?

Right now, I've got the thing plugged to a panasonic TX-24C300E, which is 24', fullhd and 200hz...
X - P - B
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Turrican, the Sony 3D display can be had used on craigslist between $150 and $100, I really don't see why it's too much...

Also as a side note : my 720p plasma (1024x768) handles the PSTV's 720p output very well. (it doesn't fit your need though, since it's a 43" panel)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Oh, I meant "too much technology" for my needs... After all, I'm using the device with large chunks of PSone classics and PSP software. Do the 240hz make all that difference?

Sure, at 100$ is a steal if you need a 24', but did they sell it in Europe? on ebay I wasn't able to find one.
X - P - B
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

So I've just picked up a PSTV. Any games I should specifically look at that's not available on PS3 or PS4? I already have Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa Rebirth and Muraski's Baby.

Particularly interested in shmups, so I guess I should look at the PSP's library. I've read conflicting reports on Gradius Collection's playability on a PSTV though, if anybody could confirm?

EDIT: Found this very helpful post on PSP shooters -> http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p897692. I can't find any information on whether they work on PSTV or not.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

A fair bit of formerly Vita-exclusive stuff is being ported to the PC these days, as well, but a few I've played that are still (afaik) exclusives and work on PSTV are Dungeon Travelers 2, (fan-servicey dungeon crawler), Sorcery Saga (cutesy roguelike), IA/VT Colorful (rhythm game, JP import), Persona 4: Dancing All Night, Tales of Hearts R and Ys Celceta.

As far as PSP stuff is concerned, I'm pretty sure that most everything that runs on the Vita will work on PSTV; none of the ones I've encountered have given me any trouble, at least.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Magical Beat is sort of fun. La-Mulana EX is essential. Dokuro is a nice little puzzler. Earth Defence Force 2 and 3 are good choices too. Killzone: Mercenary has a pretty good reputation though I haven't tried it so can't recommend it personally.

That Valkyria game has been relased. It's bad. Really bad. Not the Vita port just the game itself. I can't believe how much Sega is mismanaging this franchise.