The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Re: The PS Vita Thread - Remote Play for all PS4 Games

Post by FinalBaton »

Leviathan wrote:So I've just picked up a PSTV. Any games I should specifically look at that's not available on PS3 or PS4? I already have Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa Rebirth and Muraski's Baby.

Particularly interested in shmups, so I guess I should look at the PSP's library. I've read conflicting reports on Gradius Collection's playability on a PSTV though, if anybody could confirm?

EDIT: Found this very helpful post on PSP shooters -> http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p897692. I can't find any information on whether they work on PSTV or not.
definitely Ys : Memories Of Celceta
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

FinalBaton wrote:
Leviathan wrote:So I've just picked up a PSTV. Any games I should specifically look at that's not available on PS3 or PS4? I already have Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa Rebirth and Muraski's Baby.

Particularly interested in shmups, so I guess I should look at the PSP's library. I've read conflicting reports on Gradius Collection's playability on a PSTV though, if anybody could confirm?

EDIT: Found this very helpful post on PSP shooters -> http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p897692. I can't find any information on whether they work on PSTV or not.
definitely Ys : Memories Of Celceta
On the USA region PS Vita store site, the following PSP based shmup titles are downloadable/playable with a PSTV micro-console setup (of course, if you do change the country region to JPN on the PSTV rather than have it setup for USA region, then more Japanese PSP shmup titles are available to download/play at your disposal -- it's a given in this day of age).

However, there's an exception with the JPN PSP shmup title of Soreyuke BurunyanMan Portable that was listed on the JPN region Vita store site for quite some time but it was eventually removed. So as it stands, it's not currently downloadable anymore -- unless you bought it as a d/l before it was removed from the JPN PS Vita store front-end site, it'd still be available to d/l at your leisure for posterity/safekeeping -- (you'd be better off by buying the actual PSP UMD disc release of BurunyanMan and playing it on a real PSP setup in this particular instance/case).

TurboGrafx-16 Star Soldier -- you can play it at it's original 320 x 240 aspect ratio screen size if so desired

TurboGrafx-16 Blazing Lazers (aka Gunhed on the venerable PC Engine platform whereas on the USA region based NEC TurboGrafx-16 console, it's more commonly known as Blazing Lazers) -- can also play it in it's original 320 x 240 aspect ratio screen size as well

Neo Geo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting (you can even select tate {vertical} screen option if so desired -- how cool is that?)

Strikers 1945 Portable Plus

Cho Aniki Zero

Gradius Collection

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll buy some of the PSP titles and we'll see what happens.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Undertale up for preorder at Fangamer.

The Banner Saga cancelled :?

Night Trap might be coming. The developer has a devkit at least.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Thought it worth mentioning here that there are now a way to use microSD cards on a hacked Vita.

Not sure if there's anyone here with hacked Vitas. Or maybe anyone just waiting for this news to buy one and fill up a 256GB card with games.

I don't have one since I want to play games that requires 3.61+.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ZellSF wrote:Thought it worth mentioning here that there are now a way to use microSD cards on a hacked Vita.

Not sure if there's anyone here with hacked Vitas. Or maybe anyone just waiting for this news to buy one and fill up a 256GB card with games.

I have two vitas. That's pretty amazing news; the custom cards suck ass.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

PC Engine Fan X!

Yeah, you can only fit so many Vita games on an official 64gb Vita memory card setup whereas with a 256gb micro sdhc card setup, more than enough space for such Vita games, apps, movies & whatnot. The JPN region Vita Phanasty Star Online 2 RPG game requires a whopping 16gb+ with the all obligatory/necessary updates downloaded to run/play.

I've got two of those 64gb Vita memory cards myself and they ain't cheap.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Skykid wrote:
ZellSF wrote:Thought it worth mentioning here that there are now a way to use microSD cards on a hacked Vita.

I have two vitas. That's pretty amazing news; the custom cards suck ass.
I don't, but this news actually makes it VERY tempting to get a secondary homebrew Vita.

Less tempting to try to find one that's still in good condition, on 3.60 and without any pixel defects. I have the worst luck when buying stuff.
PC Engine Fan X!

Yeah, both my Vitas, one with an OLED screen & the other has an LCD screen setup -- no dead pixel issues to contend with either. Of course, I bought both of them brand new and made sure that they didn't have any stuck or dead pixels or else, it'd be back to the retail store to get another one and check to see if the screen's all gravy or not.

That reminds of the 2nd generation Atari Lynx I bought from a retail store only to find out that it had some pixel defects upon powering it up for the very first time back in 1994. Naturally, I took it back and got another Lynx II (and made sure to check it out to verify that it had a 100% working and flawless screen setup in the store). It was 100% working and flawless. Still have it to this very day in my video gaming stash alrighty.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Sadly it's too late for local stores with good return policies, the only place in Norway that sells Vitas still seems to be selected Gamestop locations and they have shitty return policies.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Also you can preorder the physical releases of Axiom Verge and Velocity 2X for Vita now. Can't believe I forgot to mention that, Axiom Verge is one of the best games on the system. Though probably not the best handheld version available any longer once the Switch version launches.

I say probably because the Switch version will have neither pixel perfect graphics nor an OLED screen. It will however have no performance issues (shouldn't have anyway) and the performance issues on the Vita port are sort of bad.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

To be clear this isn't a soft mod is it - it's a hardware replacement for the SD card slot?

ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

It's an hardware adapter that allows you to insert a microSD card in the game card slot:
Obviously the Vita doesn't allow you to use the game card as storage, so you need a hacked Vita.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

ZellSF wrote:Also you can preorder the physical releases of Axiom Verge and Velocity 2X for Vita now. Can't believe I forgot to mention that, Axiom Verge is one of the best games on the system. Though probably not the best handheld version available any longer once the Switch version launches.

I say probably because the Switch version will have neither pixel perfect graphics nor an OLED screen. It will however have no performance issues (shouldn't have anyway) and the performance issues on the Vita port are sort of bad.
Got my copy of Axiom Verge for the Vita Pre-Ordered but can you elaborate on these performance issues on the Vita?

I can't imagine Axiom Verge having performance issues on such a powerful machine like the Vita though.

ZellSF wrote:It's an hardware adapter that allows you to insert a microSD card in the game card slot:
Obviously the Vita doesn't allow you to use the game card as storage, so you need a hacked Vita.
I thought it may have been some sort of adapter that replaces those expensive Sony memory cards :cry:
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Shelcoof wrote:
ZellSF wrote:Also you can preorder the physical releases of Axiom Verge and Velocity 2X for Vita now. Can't believe I forgot to mention that, Axiom Verge is one of the best games on the system. Though probably not the best handheld version available any longer once the Switch version launches.

Got my copy of Axiom Verge for the Vita Pre-Ordered but can you elaborate on these performance issues on the Vita?

I can't imagine Axiom Verge having performance issues on such a powerful machine like the Vita though.
Loading times between screens is a second or two longer than other versions, crt shader (used for some very minor optional secret areas) drops performance down severely (15-20 FPS?), outdoor areas can get around the 30 FPS range too (still just judging by feel, have no framerate counter) with some very occasional 1 second freezes. A graphical effect used for a story scene (sort of a heat wave effect) also drops performance down to 15-20 FPS. Boss fights that zoom out the screen are pretty bad too.

I've played through it twice so its perfectly playable, but a good port it isn't.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Wow when you put it that way... sounds like a disappointment :cry:

Sort of reminds me of the terrible Bastion port on the Vita.... maybe I should opt for the PS4 version instead... maybe the Switch?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The PS4 version is great. I don't think anyone's seen the Switch version yet though obviously it will look a bit bad in handheld mode (540p does not fit nicely into a 720p display).
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

So after the Seiken remake, PS4/PSvita is getting a Seiken 2 remake.

I played the first one and it wasn't bad - it had gameboy soundtrack selectable too.

Am I definitely insane in hoping that this one too will support PSTV?
X - P - B
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Turrican wrote:Am I definitely insane in hoping that this one too will support PSTV?
At this point is there any reason for it not to? Maybe my memory is selective but it seems like a good majority of more recent titles have included PSTV support, especially since so few of them are bothering with touch screen gimmicks and whatnot at this stage of the game...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Danganronpa V3 demo is out, the demo for it (and the first game) have separate storylines from the main game, so not too spoilery.

I can't get excited about the Secret of Mana remake. It's one of my favorite games, but Square Enix's incompetence is so massive they will find several ways to make the remake awful. I'm not convinced the Vita version will be localized either (obviously if the remake is somehow miraculously good I can just play on PC).
BulletMagnet wrote:
Turrican wrote:Am I definitely insane in hoping that this one too will support PSTV?
At this point is there any reason for it not to? Maybe my memory is selective but it seems like a good majority of more recent titles have included PSTV support, especially since so few of them are bothering with touch screen gimmicks and whatnot at this stage of the game...
I can't remember exact games, but quite a few games launched after the PSTV shipped with no PSTV support. It seems it's entirely up to developers and Sony isn't pushing for it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

That's a possibility, but at the same time any title released on the Vita these days needs every last sale it can get to justify itself, and PSTV support seems a relatively hassle-free way of making sure every potential buyer has a reason to support it. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I love Secret of Mana - I prefer it overall to Chrono Trigger - but I do hope this remake improves some aspects of the original (definitely can be tidied up in several areas).

Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Seiing that all three main PSP Armored Core are on PSN, I went to read some reviews, like this one for instance:

http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews/re ... table-410/

"In this PSP port though, there are problems. Quite serious ones in fact. Despite resolving the input framerate issue via a data install, the entire game is still balanced as it was in the original PlayStation 2 version. Except, this time, you don’t have a DualShock 2 to help you out."

Do you think second stick remapping on PSTV would get you decent controls?

And if so, the big question is: go for Silent Line, or Last Raven? (being storage conscious, LR takes 800mb while SL 300 or so, so it better have some serious advantages over the prequel to justify that bump)...

And third question... Shall I just forget about it, and go for Carnage Hear Exa instead?

@Bulletmagnet: I'm crossing fingers that you're correct on Mana, but then it dawned on me: an hypothetical PSTV compatibility wouldn't be enough per se - given the game, it would require a *special* PSTV recognization from the software, in order to allow two other dualshocks to join the fun. (Before claiming this to be absurd: Vita Guacamelee does just that).
X - P - B
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Soooo...the PSTV thing didn't work out quite as planned. I barely touch it with a ton of games to play on PS4 and PS3. Maybe PC Engne Fan X!'s idea of changing the region to Japan is a good idea. I've also been given "permission" to buy a new monitor, a Nintendo Switch, or a PS Vita once I finish my dissertation*. I'm leaning towards a Vita given the cheap games and games I already own from PS+.
ZellSF wrote:La-Mulana EX is essential. Dokuro is a nice little puzzler.
These are great recommendations, thanks! Happy that I somehow own La-Mulana EX and that Dokuro is only $2.99.

(*I'm not as young as that sounds. Probably older than most of y'all.)
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

For Vita owners (and others) keeping an eye on the Mana remake, here's some gameplay footage.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Yeah, that looks nice! The Vita isn't completely dead, apparently.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

We're getting Danganronpa V3, Steamworld Dig 2 and Ys VIII this month. A pretty big month for the Vita, so I'd say it's still pretty far from dead.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Honestly I think the 3DS will die before the Vita.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
boagman

Post by boagman »

cj iwakura wrote:Honestly I think the 3DS will die before the Vita.
I'd take that action, but it would also depend on how we define the word "die", too.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

boagman wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:Honestly I think the 3DS will die before the Vita.
I'd take that action, but it would also depend on how we define the word "die", too.
I think Vita will have the last game releases, but 3DS hardware production will end last.