Ong Bak! Pretty good martial arts flick!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
neorichieb1971

Ong Bak! Pretty good martial arts flick!

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I just watched this yesterday (twice :lol:)

Its a Taiwanese movie that was made in 2003, its coming to theaters in the USA this month (limited distribution) but you can already get it on DVD and VCD. It features a new actor/fighter called Tony Jaa who uses what looks like real Thai Boxing to good effect. Not to mention a ton of stunts that could break your back in a second.

Check out the trailor -

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independe ... -tlr.html/

Its not a case of the best bits being in the trailor either.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

A friend of mine showed me this movie last year. It's like an low budget early Jackie Chan film but with a Thai flavor, very energetic, lots of stunts and lots of hurt stuntmen too. It's a modest film. If you don't go into it expecting too much, you'll probably enjoy it.
TVG

Post by TVG »

i guess TF isnt that much into martial arts?

anyway, its pretty much the best MA film ever done, athletically speaking.

bruce lee films looks like shit in comparison, but eh, they're old.

the storyline for one isnt that good, but is funny enough to keep you entertained, and the bad guys are cool and original (especially the mafia boss)

and the main actor is a fUckin BEAST!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Was trying to give a "grounded" recommendation for the film. I like the film, but the worst thing for good indie films like this, is to hype them up too much and then people end up disappointed. Ong Bak definitely falls in that potential category, as its Thai fighting styles are an acquired taste. And yes I do have some interest in MA, but I don't view films purely that way only. But in terms of superb MA I'd rather suggest Jet Li's Fist Of Legend, for instance. There's good MA hidden in really obscure western stuff too, like Bloodsport 2...
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

definitely good, can't comment on the plot as i saw it without subtitles (not by choice) so all i got was what could be gleaned from scenery and who looked evil.
and the editing was annoying in a couple parts, showing a particularly cool stunt from a several angles in a row, while it works in some cases in others it kinda breaks the flow and cuts down on the energy.
as for the choreography it relies heavily on his little flying elbow manuver, which however effective it may be in actual fighting, gets old the fifteenth time he does it, problem being that its doesn't have simplicity of a basic punch or kick so the viewer pays more attention to it, meaning you can't do it quite as often.

also, bruce lee films looking like shit: well they are shit for the most part, chinese connection and enter the dragon are the only ones that are particularly watchable. Bruce Lee is famous because he was a fucking bad ass off screen as well.
PlasmaDancer

Post by PlasmaDancer »

This was showing on the plane coming back to Japan after new year, but I didn't watch all of it for some reason. Then again, if it isn't a 1980s Jackie Chan film it takes a while to gel with me, usually.. From what I saw it all seemed very impressive, with Guile-esque flash kicks (what's the 'official' name for that?) aplenty and lots of flying elbows, as magnum opus noted.

But anyway,
Thunder Force wrote:in terms of superb MA I'd rather suggest Jet Li's Fist Of Legend, for instance.
I'll second that, one of my all time favourites!
'It's all in your imagination...if you put your mind to it, you can be capable of anything.'