Super Bowl

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
LoneSage

Super Bowl

Post by LoneSage »

Though I have made bets exceeding $100s in past Super Bowls, this is the first Super Bowl I've ever *really* watched. I'm not big on sports, though I do bodybuild, and for some reason I was enthralled tonight by the SB. Maybe because the game was so incredibly close (Philly scores, then Patriots score, repeat until Patriots win) and intense, but I'm kinda attracted to football now.

Deion definitely had his game on tonight :o
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

This one was unusually good for a super bowl. Typically the SBs are a bit one sided, with the deciding game of the season being the game proceeding it. I was thrilled to see the Eagles and Pats duking it out for superbowl champion, knowing they were really the two best teams in the league, and I think the game gave strong evidence of that. Definitely a fantastic game!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

Anyone notice the similarity between Super Bowl XXXIX and Rocky I?

In Rocky I, Rocky Balboa (an underdog boxer from Philly) gets a title shot against the defending heavyweight champion (Apollo Creed), and he goes the distance. Rocky loses in the final round after a close match.

In Super Bowl XXXIX, Eagles (an underdog team from Philly) gets a title shot against the defending Super Bowl champions (Patriots), and they go the distance. The Eagles lose in the final seconds after a close game.

Even though I'm a 49ers fan, I think the Eagles will have a good chance at a Super Bowl trophy next year.

Eagles fans, take comfort that you guys have a great team that will continue to shine for years.

And Patriots fans, congratulations. Your team is now a dynasty.

Here's hope that Super Bowl 40 = Rocky II. Where the Eagles beat the Patriots in an epic re-match! :)
IndyCar Series. One series. All the stars.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Ahhh, another 49er Faithful. We are all stuck in York's void.

Yes, this year's Super Bowl is indeed pretty good. Philly made it a much closer game then people expected. And what was Mitchell's final stat line? It's so amusing when a backup underachiever talks smack.
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

IlMrm wrote:Ahhh, another 49er Faithful. We are all stuck in York's void.

Yes, this year's Super Bowl is indeed pretty good. Philly made it a much closer game then people expected. And what was Mitchell's final stat line? It's so amusing when a backup underachiever talks smack.
Well, at least Erickson and Donahue are gone.

I'm still pissed that we let TO go, and that Donahue picked Tim Rattay over Tom Brady. Just imagine where the niners would be today if we had both Brady and TO.

And head coach Mike Nolan has said that we will return to the West Coast Offense (that Erickson stupidly abandoned). :)

My heart says the niners will be back to the top next season. But my head says it will be 2 - 5 years before the niners reclaim thier past glories.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

^^ I certainly hope so. The West Coast Offense is nearly impossible to stop if executed perfectly.

I gotta give TO credit for risking a lot to play. The Eagles will be strong next year, so will the Patriots. Wouldn't be a surprise if these two teams meet again.

y2kgamer - I see your F-22 avatar. The flyby with the four F-22s at the Super Bowl was the pretty cool.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

anyone else notice how the commercials this year sucked? the one with the cat and the spaghetti sauce was good tho.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The robber in the convenience store was good and so was the FedEx one with Burt Reynolds.

Anyway, the Pats winning was awesome! As a die-hard Giants fan, I loathe the Eagles and seeing them cause their own demise was extra sweet. How awful is that clock management? How many poor passes could Mr. Campbell Soup throw in one game? But, I hate to say it, I did gain tons of respect for Terrible Owens. He showed heart.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Super Bowl?

Isn't that when those guys afraid of REAL Rugby stand up in their fancy protective suits pretending they're really though? Yeah I am BIG (fat! :wink: ) enough to be a defender person, but there's no skills involved doing that!

NFL ("american "football") is for pussies! IMO :twisted:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

We Americans tried to play rugby one time, but it boiled down to us kicking each other's asses and forgetting about the ball.
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

Super Laydock wrote:Super Bowl?

Isn't that when those guys afraid of REAL Rugby stand up in their fancy protective suits pretending they're really though? Yeah I am BIG (fat! :wink: ) enough to be a defender person, but there's no skills involved doing that!

NFL ("american "football") is for pussies! IMO :twisted:
No skills?

American football requires a lot of strategy and skill. There are numerous defensive and offensive formations for numerous situations. And then 11 men have to execute those plays efficiently against 11 other men who try to stop them. And then there are rushing plays, passing plays, reverses, play action plays, and trick plays. It really is strategic and mind-boggling when you think about it.

And the biggest guys don't always win either. They might be big, but can they keep up with the faster smaller players?

As for the "fancy protective suits," have you seen how hard NFL players hit? Without those ""fancy protective suits," those hits would cost serious injuries. And football wouldn't fast and hard hitting without pads.

Just compare ice hockey to field hockey.

We don't bash rugby, so please don't bash football.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

There is a time I wouldn't have said this, but football is a surprisingly brainy sport. I'm not saying all the players are particularly brainy, but the good ones can't just rely no physical prowess. Football, at the level it was played last night wasn't won by the stronger team, it was won by the team that was both stronger AND MORE CLEVER. The Pats have won even with their team in shreads, and I must assume only because they have one hell of a coach and players who can do more than be big manimals on the field.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about american football, but whenever I happen to catch a glimpse of it I get annoyed that the game goes on "pause" every five or ten seconds. Hard to get into the feeling, but I suppose I'm just used to seeing constant, flowing action in sports.

Now, when they start showing Speedball on TV I'll start watching a game of heavily-armored men chasing after a ball. :D No breaks unless somebody's spleen is hanging out.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm a huge sports fan and I found this year's Super Bowl to be a bore. The final score wasn't indicative of how close the actual game was because after the Pats took the lead after trailing 7-0, there was never a doubt they would win. McNabb was inept to say the least and sans a few fortunate 3rd down conversions, the Pats could have won 31-7 or better.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

y2kgamer wrote:American football requires a lot of strategy and skill. There are numerous defensive and offensive formations for numerous situations...then there are rushing plays, passing plays, reverses, play action plays, and trick plays...
...coming up with the right steroid mix to avoid being caught during testing...choreography to ensure the most irritating endzone dances...hiring the right lawyer after committing multiple felonies...specific diet plans to put into effect before defecating into a former girlfirend's laundry basket...

...then again, stuff along those lines is more or less universal to most professional sports.
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

^^^

Except only a few idiotic professional (un-professional) athletes do that.

They just get more coverage because bad news is better and gets more ratings.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Perhaps, but you'd still think that when these guys are making the kind of ridiculous money they are for the type of laughably unimportant "work" that they do, they'd have some incentive to act at least semi-sensibly. Then again, it's the fans that are willing to pay out such ludicrous amounts of cash for tickets and merchandise in the face of the stupid things these people do regardless of the charmed lives they lead, so until the public starts to actually do something about this nothing's going to change.
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

BulletMagnet wrote:Perhaps, but you'd still think that when these guys are making the kind of ridiculous money they are for the type of laughably unimportant "work" that they do, they'd have some incentive to act at least semi-sensibly. Then again, it's the fans that are willing to pay out such ludicrous amounts of cash for tickets and merchandise in the face of the stupid things these people do regardless of the charmed lives they lead, so until the public starts to actually do something about this nothing's going to change.
Do you have any idea how much physical and mental conditioning good NFL players have to go through? It requires a lot of hard work and mental discipline. They've got to practice, life weights, study film, memorize plays and learn how to adapt to the other team's strategy on their feet. And then they've got to put their bodies on the line for 5 months against the best football players in the world.

Like I said, don't judge the rest of the hard-working professional athletes out there based on the actions of a few idiots. Those idiots who do drugs or commit crimes are no longer professional athletes. In any job... you're FIRED if you're caught doing drugs.

And another thing...

Based on your "logic" that professional sports is a "type of laughably unimportant work..."

I could make the same argument about anything in the entertainment industry including video games.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

I apologize to serious fans of the sports for any offense, but want to leave my remark standing please note: the skill part is directed to the defenders (guys blocking).

Oh and I am NOT a Rugby fan or something. Field hockey can be quite dangerous (receiving the playing ball in the face can quite literally destroy your face).
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

y2kgamer wrote:Do you have any idea how much physical and mental conditioning good NFL players have to go through?
I don't argue that these guys have to extensively train and whatnot to be good at what they do, and that they put in a lot of effort when they play, but my point is that they are paid VERY well for what they do while many other more vital careers go woefully unrespected and underpaid...in spite of all this, a notable amount of athletes (though, as you say, not all), still seem to feel entitled to do whatever they please. Which leads me to...
In any job... you're FIRED if you're caught doing drugs.
Perhaps we've been reading different newspapers, but from what I've seen professional athletes, as most celebrities do, get a HUGE amount of leeway when it comes to criminal acts, drug-related or not...suspended for a few games, maybe, or given a slap-on-the-wrist fine, but they rarely ever end up doing time or being fired, and even then it's usually only after they've been caught several times already.
Based on your "logic" that professional sports is a "type of laughably unimportant work..."I could make the same argument about anything in the entertainment industry including video games.
And I'd agree without hesitation. I enjoy the results of the designers' work, obviously, and also have a certain amount of admiration for those who are able to design and execute a game very well, but I'm definitely not under the illusion that their line of work is all that important in the grand scheme of things.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

All I will say is at least the halftime show was good this time :?
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"