Mega Man Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ryu

Re: Mega Man Miscellanies

Post by ryu »

mirkvid wrote:That was a great read, thanks for translating it!
Just what I was about to post. :)
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Nice Interview. I noticed it was also linked to from Nintendo life. While it was nice to see the article get some props, the author unfortunately misquoted the article and called Mega Man "one of the most brutal games ever made".
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Thanks for the translation
zinger

Post by zinger »

Great job as always blackoak, enjoyed it a lot!
SOUNDSHOCK
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I've been waiting this for a while.

Thanks man great as always, truly a god-tier.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

The heroes I used to love were always strong figures that you could look up to. They were different from the heroes of today, who are drawn more sympathetically, and who you’re supposed to have something in common with. To me, a hero embodies the “virtue” that we all have in our hearts. We all have it, but most of us are too embarassed or scared to show it. In that sense there’s something childlike about heroism. Heroes are the people who are proud to show that side of themselves to others.

They have a lonely existence, and they will bear any burden—even when not being watched over by others—simply because it’s the right thing to do. I like heroes with that childlike purity and idealism. Someone who can still believe in what’s right, even when others says “that’s not realistic.” I think when a person encounters a hero like that in art, they can learn a lot from them. That’s the kind of hero I wanted to create in Mega Man.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

It's pretty interesting, yet also saddening, to see how much the limitations of old systems really nerfed the creators' original intentions.

I kinda want that Cutman game now...
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Glad you guys liked it. 'twas a real beast in length... I actually had to leave a couple sectons about Ariga's comics out, sadly, because it was just getting to be too long.

The "Mega Man was going to be a STG at first" line made me laugh too. Speaking of which, I'm really hankering to do more STG-related translations. This Zanac interview from STG Gameside is just burning a hole in my mind. More shmup fans need to get in there and vote, hehehe... ;)
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

hehe, a mighty thanks to whoever it was here that just signed up under the name "Zanac, the best NES Shooter" 8)
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I know it's a but late, but Capcom Asks About New Megaman Game.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

copy-paster wrote:I know it's a but late, but Capcom Asks About New Megaman Game.
More merchandise for japanese otaku only, i guess. This, however, seems good news:
http://www.destructoid.com/mega-man-leg ... 1544.phtml
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I would be down for an 11. Inti knows what they're doing.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Dangerous_D

Post by Dangerous_D »

from the mega man collection on PS my personal favorites were MM3,4,and 7
ryu

Post by ryu »

They announced a new Legacy Collection.

https://twitter.com/MegaMan/status/871743582784204800

I'm not exactly looking forward to this one. The first one was great for having the games on the go (3DS), which also was a great fit thanks to the low res display. This time there's neither a 3DS nor a Switch version announced, and the there most likely won't be any filters to help the blocky look on HD displays. Besides I own all of these games save MM7 anyways, and MMM7 isn't exactly a game I have uch need for. :?
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ryu wrote:They announced a new Legacy Collection.

https://twitter.com/MegaMan/status/871743582784204800

I'm not exactly looking forward to this one. The first one was great for having the games on the go (3DS), which also was a great fit thanks to the low res display. This time there's neither a 3DS nor a Switch version announced, and the there most likely won't be any filters to help the blocky look on HD displays. Besides I own all of these games save MM7 anyways, and MMM7 isn't exactly a game I have uch need for. :?
I'm interested in the ports for 9 and 10, rest are played better in real hardware/emulators.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ryu wrote:This time there's neither a 3DS nor a Switch version announced, and the there most likely won't be any filters to help the blocky look on HD displays.
I heard the previous collection had filters, though I only have the 3DS version of it.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I'm really excited, Mega Man 9 & 10 is at the moment limited to the Wii (480i, pretty bad for anyone but CRT owners), PS3 (with massive black borders) and the 360 (terrible dpad and a console a lot of people probably don't want to be using any longer).

Not sure why anyone is expecting a Switch version of... well, anything.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Is it me or is it really odd to leave out Rockman & Forte?
It's like Capcom doesn't want to recognise its existance.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

This is terrible value in having significantly fewer games + higher price than the first collection. Plus, didn't everyone think the natural progression, if there was going to be one, would be an X collection?

9 and 10 are even BC already on Xbox One.. Strange choice by Capcom as they seem to have been stingy in allowing BC on games they planned to re-release.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

X Collection is obviously going to happen. Waste of revenue to release them together, though.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I wonder if a new X Collection would include 7 & 8, or even maybe make use of some of those alleged unused assets they were going to have in the original X Collection. I'm leaning towards not
Sumez wrote:Is it me or is it really odd to leave out Rockman & Forte?
It's like Capcom doesn't want to recognise its existance.
It's weird. Like, the old Anniversary collection had 1~8 and the freaking Power Fighters arcade games, but no R&F.
BUT, they released the damn GBA MM&B on the WiiU's Virtual Console. :?
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/rockmanunity ... b66f38.jpg
http://blog.livedoor.jp/rockmanunity/ar ... 67738.html

Maybe there's a secret 5th game in the collection? Or it could just be an illustration for the LE, I dunno.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Question for you Mega Man pros: I bought Mega Man 2 for NES, and Mega Man X for SNES with the hope of getting into them (my brothers always loved them but I never played them much back in the day). Does EVERY single Mega Man only allow you to shoot straight ahead? No aiming/angling? You'll probably hate me saying this, but that's kinda killing the games for me to be honest – makes them feel very outdated with that play mechanic (especially on SNES, not so much on NES). Or maybe I just haven't been playing the levels where I get cooler weapons I can aim a little bit?
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Uh, yeah man, that applies to the whole series. There are some special weapons that can be aimed (Metal Blade in MM2, for instance), shoot at other angles, home, etc, but the choice varies wildly by game. Bass has an 8-way machine gun instead of a buster, but he's only playable in Mega Man & Bass and as a DLC character in MM10. The X series also has Zero from X4 and onward, who uses a beamsword instead of a buster. (And then there's the Mega Man Zero and ZX series, but that's a whole 'nother story)

e: @iconoclast's links: kinda weird to have the Mega Man Killers as the representation for Mega Man 10 on the box art. For a moment I thought they were porting the GB games.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Only being able to shoot in one direction is "outdated"? Wut? You are on a shoot'em up forum, it's sort of the standard here :P
Also, Mega Man is not a "run 'n gun". Don't expect it to play like Metal Slug or Contra. At all.
Also, he doesn't have any options or a shield, Mega Man is practically pong.

Like mamboFoxtrot said, most games have weapons that are able to shoot in more directions including other cool stuff, but it uses special ammunition, so you should plan where you use it. There are a few bosses where it's very useful to be able to shoot upwards and diagonally using the metal blade in Mega Man 2.

Mega Man can't duck either. Deal with it.
ryu

Post by ryu »

BrianC wrote:I heard the previous collection had filters, though I only have the 3DS version of it.
Hm, I also only played the 3DS collection. Never even thought about that - obviously filters would be pointless on 3DS.
Is it me or is it really odd to leave out Rockman & Forte?
Including it would entail hiring a translator and a romhacker. Can't expect such a budget from Capcom. :?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Sumez wrote:Only being able to shoot in one direction is "outdated"? Wut? You are on a shoot'em up forum, it's sort of the standard here :P
I know! It's just that shmups are a totally different style of games than a platformer IMO. I was more surprised by the SNES version actually (which I had never played before, only played the NES versions prior), since every other projectile/gun based platform games I played on SNES/Sega Genesis (like Earthworm Jim, Super Metroid, Vectorman, Cool Spot, Contra, etc.) – on all of those you could always aim at least up and a 45º angle. I'm sure there's TONS where you can't, but I just can't think of any I used to play which were like that.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

But, enemies are nearly always at a reachable gun height for you anyway. Mega Man is all about aiming using jumping, seeing what's coming next, then aiming using jumping on that, and so on.

...It's interesting; half the platforming is actually aiming. Imagine if you could aim using something ridiculous, like a mouse. It would destroy the aiming "puzzles" the level designers set up.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Left life bar is CAPCPOM's best effort at scaling pixels evenly, right side is Dolphin.

You can choose an "original" video mode which you would think means integer scale, but nah, it just adds massive black bars and makes the scaling worse. Or you can opt for a CRT mode which you would hope add some interpolation to smooth it out, again no it scales that poorly then overlays a fairly mediocre CRT filter.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Dochartaigh wrote:Does EVERY single Mega Man only allow you to shoot straight ahead? No aiming/angling?
In Rockman & Forte, Forte/Bass can shoot 8 directions but you can't shoot while running.