Anyone play Wangan Midnight?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Anyone play Wangan Midnight?

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Either the arcade version by Namco, or the home version by Genki?
The arcade vers loks really cool, and the home JPN PS2 looks just like the arcade!
Both games are basically "arcade style" versions of Tokyo Extreme Racer.
Which is fine by me. I love the Tokyo series, but sometimes I feel like playing a simple "arcade" version of it, which is the case with Wangan Midnight. Also featured in the game are anime style dialogue with rival characters. Supposidly in the vein of Initial D.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Gah, I've only played its sequel, Wangan Midnight MAXIMUM TUNE. And the music in the game in incredible...nothing but trance and more trance (like Initial D with its Eurobeat).
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Maximum Tune takes place on closed expressways, while WM 1 takes place illegally with traffic. Personally, I think weaving in and out of traffic can get pretty intense.
dementia

Post by dementia »

I 100% cleared Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero on PS2 and I played some of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3. TXR1 and TXR2 (Dreamcast) are hard to find and I haven't had achance to play them.

I like them. They're good Import Racing games that don't really promote using shit cars (unless you want a challenge - I once beat Speed King on C1 with a '93 Civic Si). It's all about the twisties, yo!
nZero

Re: Anyone play Wangan Midnight?

Post by nZero »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Both games are basically "arcade style" versions of Tokyo Extreme Racer.
I want the game for that very reason.
dementia wrote:I 100% cleared Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero on PS2 and I played some of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3. TXR1 and TXR2 (Dreamcast) are hard to find and I haven't had achance to play them.
In my opinion, TXR2 is the best in the series. Just something about it...
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I found WM at a Namco arcade in 2003. I didn't beat the 1P mode (Mr. Akio is a tad overpowered), but I had a decent winning streak (more than 20 IIRC) against a few challengers- at the start of a race, I prepared to run the other player off the road.

Weaving through the traffic is a kick indeed.
Kinect? KIN NOT.