Halo 1 & 2: The Movie

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Halo 1 & 2: The Movie

Post by Thunder Force »

It has been announced that the screenwriter of "28 Days Later" and "The Beach" is doing the screenplay for the film, which will be a combined story based on both Halo and Halo 2. Studio TBA.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050204b.php

FPS games turning into movies seems to be a growing trend. There's also a Doom and Far Cry movie coming...
dementia

Post by dementia »

I liked 28 Days Later. I'll give it chance.
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

I thought The Beach was sleep-inducing movie, but I liked 28 Days Later. Now if they could just get directors like Danny Boyle - who directed 28 Days Later and Trainspotting - to direct the movie...

They'd better do it right, or I'm building a shrine for Uwe Boll.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Name one movie based on a video game thus far that hasn't totally sucked.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

ArrogantBastard wrote:They'd better do it right, or I'm building a shrine for Uwe Boll.
You'll be glad :wink: to hear, the trailer for Uwe Boll's newest film (before he starts filming Far Cry) is now online at Bloodrayne The Movie official site, starring Michael Madsen & Academy Award-winner Ben Kingsley...
Vexorg wrote:Name one movie based on a video game thus far that hasn't totally sucked.
Tomb Raider II: The Cradle of Life?
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Vexorg wrote:Name one movie based on a video game thus far that hasn't totally sucked.
The first Mortal Kombat was lotsa fun, and the soundtrack kicked ass! If you count animation, there are several good SNK-based cartoons.

I haven't played Halo, but as a former Marathon-addict :lol: I know Bungie's strong point, in comparison to other FPS-makers, has always been the depth of their storytelling. So this one really could be good. Hey, it's Microsoft, they have billions to burn and will not let this be another game-based low-budget bomb. If it fails, at least it will be a game-based big-budget bomb! :roll:
ArrogantBastard

Why just one? I could name several that I've cringed in the past upon watching these gleaming pile of turd...

Super Mario Bros.
Double Dragon
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Street Fighter
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II
House of the Dead
Alone in the Dark

I know I'm forgetting a few, but that's what I remember so far...
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

What ArrogantBastard said. NO MORE VIDEO GAME MOVIES; PLEASE!!

The only movie that has anything to do with video games that I even like is "The Wizard".
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Mortal Kombat 1 didn't suck. It didn't contradict the game, had a more or less interesting storyline, and the characters weren't shallow. Sure, they weren't terribly deep or complex, but the movie didn't suck.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
antime

Post by antime »

ArrogantBastard wrote:I thought The Beach was sleep-inducing movie, but I liked 28 Days Later.
Read the book instead. And at least Garland is a gamer himself.
ArrogantBastard

dave4shmups wrote:What ArrogantBastard said. NO MORE VIDEO GAME MOVIES; PLEASE!!

The only movie that has anything to do with video games that I even like is "The Wizard".
Dude, The Wizard kicked so much ass. Fred Savage? Check. Video games? Check. Shameless promotion of Nintendo Powerglove before it was released to the market? Check!

Also, in response to antime: I never knew there was a book based on The Beach movie... I should check it out.
antime

Post by antime »

Other way around, the movie was based on the book.
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

its hardly a plot worthy of a movie, pretty much a generic yawnfest if I'm completely honest.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I still haven't seen War Games, although I've heard that it's pretty good.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
OptimusPrimeX

Re: Halo 1 & 2: The Movie

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

Thunder Force wrote:It has been announced that the screenwriter of "28 Days Later" and "The Beach" is doing the screenplay for the film, which will be a combined story based on both Halo and Halo 2. Studio TBA.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050204b.php

FPS games turning into movies seems to be a growing trend. There's also a Doom and Far Cry movie coming...

Awesome!.. and maybe it will be just like Halo 2, you know.. where its nothing like the early E3 demos and you wont even get to see Earth like you thought!!!!! WOOHOO!!

Anyway sounds cool if its done right. I just hope they dont try and span it out over 12 movies, like Microsoft is doing to bungie with the games. hence the crap ending and chopped up game.
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

ArrogantBastard wrote:
Why just one? I could name several that I've cringed in the past upon watching these gleaming pile of turd...

Super Mario Bros.
Double Dragon
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Street Fighter
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II
House of the Dead
Alone in the Dark

I know I'm forgetting a few, but that's what I remember so far...

He was asking for VGmovies that DIDN'T suck...
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
Andi

Post by Andi »

dave4shmups wrote:I still haven't seen War Games, although I've heard that it's pretty good.
War Games is cool in a throw-back sort of way. However, it could only exist in a time when people didn't really know how a computer worked.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

I was probably the only person who was relieved that Halo 2 did not take place completely on Earth. I live on Earth and I've seen a billion different interpretations of Earth's future by watching sci fi films. Fellow Earthers, don't take this the wrong way but...I'm tired of Earth. I liked the first Halo because it took place in a completely alien environment with weird stuff to see like that light bridge near the first part of the game and that jungle full of old forerunner ruins where you first meet the flood.

Halo 2 was more of that. So while everyone was saying "HEY where's Earth," I was having a ton of fun. Want to see Earth? Go outside or go watch Bladerunner. Read some Arthur C. Clarke books, those are cool too. Point is, future Earth has been done into the ground in sci fi.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
U K Narayan

Post by U K Narayan »

The n00b wrote:I was probably the only person who was relieved that Halo 2 did not take place completely on Earth. I live on Earth and I've seen a billion different interpretations of Earth's future by watching sci fi films. Fellow Earthers, don't take this the wrong way but...I'm tired of Earth. I liked the first Halo because it took place in a completely alien environment with weird stuff to see like that light bridge near the first part of the game and that jungle full of old forerunner ruins where you first meet the flood.

Halo 2 was more of that. So while everyone was saying "HEY where's Earth," I was having a ton of fun. Want to see Earth? Go outside or go watch Bladerunner. Read some Arthur C. Clarke books, those are cool too. Point is, future Earth has been done into the ground in sci fi.
I can understand this completely, but there's the fact that Bungie advertised Halo 2 completely around a WAR ON EARTH.
Approach your target and attack! Your mission starts now! ARE YOU READY!?
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

I didn't play the advertisements, I played the game. I'm sure people who would love "Halo on Earth" feel really burned but I don't. I was completely disappointed by the advertising and then it was like I got a christmas present....
Proud citizen of the American Empire!