Favorite Album Covers Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
drauch

Re: Favorite Album Covers Thread

Post by drauch »

Hell yeah Dead Milkmen! Favorite band ever.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

You know, I hate that damn Andy Warhol "Velvet Underground and Nico" cover, and it always shows up in "best covers" lists. I guess a parody of it is fine though. :lol:

EDIT: for some odd reason, I forgot to put the word "hate" in my original comment. How strange.
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

evil_ash_xero wrote:You know, I that damn Andy Warhol "Velvet Underground and Nico" cover, and it always shows up in "best covers" lists. I guess a parody of it is fine though. :lol:

Also:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

And there it is. Truly a masterpiece. :roll:
MBV looks good though.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

^ too bad that VU&N isn't an original. Worth the price of a new kia or hyundai

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

(Nothing's Shocking disappointed me sorely after the brilliant debut, but the cover is up there.)
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

A few more:

ImageImageImage
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The way out is cut off

chum

Post by chum »

JBC

Post by JBC »

ColonelFatso wrote:I could list basically every Roger Dean thing ever
I second that. Roger Dean is my favorite artist of all time.

Such an obvious choice, but this image has become very powerful in my mind. I once saw an animation of it set to their music playing over a greatest hits commercial and it gave me chills to see the light beam hit the prism and split into the rainbow. It's actually a pretty uplifting image for something that came from Pink Floyd.
Godzilla was an inside job
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

ImageImageImage
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Spoiler
rapoon wrote:Danzig I
evil_ash_xero wrote:Damaged
Fuck yes.
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Unknown Pleasures
So good I had to repost ;3
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Yngwie Malmsteen's Trilogy! I remember seeing this album in a stack of vinyl at my uncle's house when I was about 10-11 and being amazed and very curious as to what kind of music was on the record. Surely it had to be amazing, I mean.....he's fighting a Hydra with his guitar! LOL

BIL

Post by BIL »

Shoryukev wrote:Trilogy
One of many, many metal icons referenced in IREM's infernally love/hate sidescrolling damnation for Famicom - Holy Diver. Image Unfortunately instead of a badass three-headed dragon, "Trilogy" is a little gopher thing. so-called because they come in threes! geddit?! :mrgreen:
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

BIL wrote:One of many, many metal icons referenced in IREM's infernally love/hate sidescrolling damnation for Famicom - Holy Diver. Image Unfortunately instead of a badass three-headed dragon, "Trilogy" is a little gopher thing. so-called because they come in threes! geddit?! :mrgreen:
I want to play that game very badly. Either need to get myself a reproduction copy, a famicom cartridge adapter, or an everdrive LOL
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'd go with repro or Everdrive for HD, honestly. It's got merits for sure, a towering, menacing presence among console sidescrollers. But some exasperatingly shoddy flaws keep it out of the top class. It can be mastered, but by that point you're fighting its shortcomings as much as the brutal stage design. Among Irem's FC sidescrollers, Metal Storm blows it out of the water then proceeds to nuke it from orbit. (as it does many sidescrollers, to be fair)

I'd get 2010SF instead, not only is it quality balls-hard action, but the FC cover is totally riffing on Priest's Killing Machine. :cool:

Was admiring Sin After Sin while revisiting the other day. I dig that less chromed, slightly spookier 70s proto-metal thing it's got going on.

Last edited by BIL on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The thread stimulated me to photograph a few vinyl records I intend to sell. May post some pics later in the day.
BIL wrote:Image
Spoiler
Heh...
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Heh...
I know right?! Coincidence or not, it feels too good to matter. :mrgreen:
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

BIL wrote:I'd go with repro or Everdrive for HD, honestly. It's got merits for sure, a towering, menacing presence among console sidescrollers. But some exasperatingly shoddy flaws keep it out of the top class. It can be mastered, but by that point you're fighting its shortcomings as much as the brutal stage design. Among Irem's FC sidescrollers, Metal Storm blows it out of the water then proceeds to nuke it from orbit. (as it does many sidescrollers, to be fair)

I'd get 2010SF instead, not only is it quality balls-hard action, but the FC cover is totally riffing on Priest's Killing Machine. :cool:
That sucks to hear about all the flaws reading that post, I've only seen online clips of people playing it and thought it looked fantastic.....of course I'm a metalhead so I have an instant bias to something with that many references to heavy metal music LOL.

Metal Storm is one I still need too! I have the regular US-NES version of SF2010, but haven't really played it that much. As a kid I bought it and immediately cast it aside since it wasn't a traditional fighting game :oops:

Kinda funny how well old video game art goes hand in hand with some album covers. Some definite inspirations have been drawn back and forth over the years for sure. Another one of my favorites is Iron Maiden - Powerslave. My sister is an art fanatic and actually built me a mask of Eddie that matches this album cover that I hang in my living room. I think she made it for some class she took in college. I'll try and remember to take a picture of it, it's awesome!

Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Some other noteworthy album covers in my book. I miss the feeling of being young and somewhat scared by the artwork. I remember being afraid of listening to this kind of music in front of my parents, putting on headphones and having the hairs on my arm stand up when I turned it on. On a side note I was really into spawn at one point and learned of the band Iced Earth because of that album cover LOL.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Peace Sells is the kind of art so iconic, and attached to such an essential album, I can practically feel the speakers in my chest just looking at it. I insist on the original mix (as with Rust) but that sorted, I'll blast it at a moment's notice. :cool: A surgically-wielded sledgehammer/shotgun/grenade launcher of a thrash record.

I don't know if it was intentional or what, but I always chuckle at the full sequence of Vic turning to see the jets screaming in - I'm not sure if he's supposed to be alarmed, or impressed, or overjoyed at his impending nuclear obliteration. :lol:

Of Maiden's covers, Somewhere In Time really blew me away - and I only had it on CD, can only imagine what the LP sleeve must've been like. It's not only the sheer fine-brush detail, but all the Easter Eggs big and small that only fans would get. As with all the band's better works it conveys the sense of a real production, not just something banged out as an afterthought.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

(Not to denigrate anyone's taste, just commenting on these and all album covers in general)

Well, they are shit aren't they. All of them.
Warhol's cover is one of the better ones here and when that hack is coming out on top, you know you are in trouble.

And would you just look at Yngwie Malmsteen. Jesus wept. Bear in mind here, this fucker is not "having a laugh". He is serious.
That album "Trilogy", was released in 1986. A full 2 YEARS after "This Is Spinal Tap" had killed Rock/Metal in a tinfoiled cucumber of shame.
BIL

Post by BIL »

YOUVE JUST UNLEASHED...

THE FUCKIN FURY!!!
:evil:

Sorry, carry on. :wink:
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

BIL wrote:Peace Sells is the kind of art so iconic, and attached to such an essential album, I can practically feel the speakers in my chest just looking at it. I insist on the original mix (as with Rust) but that sorted, I'll blast it at a moment's notice. :cool: A surgically-wielded sledgehammer/shotgun/grenade launcher of a thrash record.
I don't like the remasters either. Some of the changes (mainly the re-recorded vocals and the extremely altered bass guitar on rust) are really jarring and out of place.
Zen wrote:And would you just look at Yngwie Malmsteen. Jesus wept. Bear in mind here, this fucker is not "having a laugh". He is serious.
That album "Trilogy", was released in 1986. A full 2 YEARS after "This Is Spinal Tap" had killed Rock/Metal in a tinfoiled cucumber of shame.
He's in his mid 50s now and still wearing (much larger) leather pants, frilly pirate shirts, and 75 lbs worth of gold jewelry. Humble is not in the man's vocabulary LOL. To be fair the album cover matches the music perfectly. Masterbatory neoclassical guitar wankery at it's finest (or worse depending on personal taste LOL).

BIL wrote:YOUVE JUST UNLEASHED...

THE FUCKIN FURY!!!
:evil:

Sorry, carry on. :wink:
I remember when that incident happened LOLOLOL, but let's also not forget......HE DOESN'T LIKE DONUTS!!!
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

To prove a point I have to post another one of Yngwie's album covers. This one is from 2008!!!!!!!

It is also arguably the worst album cover I've ever seen hahaha. If Jesus was weeping looking down at Trilogy, he's clubbing baby kittens looking at this one LOL

BIL

Post by BIL »

He's lookin' a bit svelter that I'd have expected for 2008... did he pull a Vegas Elvis and use an old photo? >_> Either way though...

Respect 2 Ywingy though, it's not every guitarist who inspires Thunder Force Intro Themes :cool:

edit: now that I think about it, there's something deeply hilarious at the thought his hand is actually on fire and he's just not noticed. :lol: :mrgreen:
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

not that big of a fan of brand new, but I always liked this cover

a creature... half solid half gas
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Image Image
(the girl on the right has a really short fringe.)