shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:55 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Album Covers Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 am 

Hell yeah, and I also inavriably have a thought for you when I stumble on the M-16 cover.

Especially since it has a song called Napalm in the Morning. That is such a BIL thing :lol:

Agent Orange cover is sick af also, of course. gunning down dem poor civilian fvks! HAHAHAHAHA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:20 pm 

These brutal Kraut motherfuckers love their NAMsploitation :shock: Reminds me a bit of The Ramones' same :lol:

KNARRENHEINZ seems like an underrated mascot in the annals of metal. Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:16 pm 

That is such funny coincidence you post this : I was just muling over this today. Asking myself if that soldier was considered a mascot by the band. If he was officially the same personna on those 2 records sleeves (I always assumed he was. but never saw the band acknowledge it).

Great bit in that interview :

''he's fighting for a peaceful world, [...] but he never gets it''.

Pretty profound and real and epic (and hard-hitting)stuff when you think about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:06 pm 

The Blacks stand guarding peace
The Whites stand guarding peace
The Yellows stand guarding peace
The Reds stand fearing nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Hr4eo ... .be&t=1073

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:26 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
That is such funny coincidence you post this : I was just muling over this today. Asking myself if that soldier was considered a mascot by the band. If he was officially the same personna on those 2 records sleeves (I always assumed he was. but never saw the band acknowledge it).

Great bit in that interview :

''he's fighting for a peaceful world, [...] but he never gets it''.

Pretty profound and real and epic (and hard-hitting)stuff when you think about it.

HE DRAWS STRENGTH FROM THIS PAIN Image (ASSASSINATING WITH THE HEAVY FIST :shock:)

He's had quite the run, easily suffered as much abuse as Eddie and Vic. Image At first I assumed In War And Pieces depicted a low point of his misadventures, but now I suspect he's just respawning on yet another futile battlefield. Either that or he's actually the guy in the background. :mrgreen:

Favourite Heinz: after the collapse of the Soviet Olympics program, a bonanza of black market ROIDS und HGH fur das Hard Gay aktion! Now Heinz is so friggin manly, he can sell his blood to lesser, soft-dicked men!

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
The Blacks stand guarding peace
The Whites stand guarding peace
The Yellows stand guarding peace
The Reds stand fearing nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Hr4eo ... .be&t=1073

Blimey, nice post! :o I was gonna ask "is that Polish reggae?" but didn't wanna sound like a dick, in case it was some storied genre of music I'm oblivious of (there are many :oops:). Seems there's quite a scene, if I understand right from five minutes' googling.

Is that "red borscht with sausage" in the following track? Cracking tune either way :lol: The next one up "War Dance" is the real thing too. Image Image Got that drop leaf.

Last edited by BIL on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:08 pm 

BIL wrote:
I was gonna ask "is that Polish reggae?" but didn't wanna sound like a dick, in case it was some storied genre of music I'm oblivious of (there are many :oops:). Seems there's quite a scene, if I understand right from five minutes' googling.

Aye, Polish reggae-punky party (punk lyrics, reggae music in this case).
BIL wrote:
Is that "red borscht with sausage" in the following track? Cracking tune either way :lol: The next one up "War Dance" is the real thing too. Image Image Got that drop leaf.

I must admit your deciphering of it is more accurate than mine at some point. I used to (mis)undestand The Word as "meat" rather than "mit", but your version makes way more sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:30 am 

BIL wrote:
At first I assumed In War And Pieces depicted a low point of his misadventures, but now I suspect he's just respawning on yet another futile battlefield.

I'm pretty sure Knarrenheinz can't be killed. He will always return, as evidenced by the cover of Better Off Dead. (Incidentally, Sodom's best album, imho.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:42 am 

Yeah, a definite "ghost of soldiers" vibe from Herr Heinz Image Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:51 pm 

Better off dead is so sick, it has jumped towards the top of my list in the last year (I think I talked about that in the last Sodom discussion happening on here)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:52 pm 

Fun fact: During my teenage years I had a poster with the Better Off Dead artwork adorning the wall of my room until one day I decided to cut it up and use parts of it to craft a fancy envelope for sending a love letter to a girl I had a huge crush on. Why we didn't end up becoming a couple still mystifies me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:04 pm 

Never liked this one, at all. Looks like some poor bastard's about to get his rusty sheriff's badge fisted. >_< Antiseptic and grim.

Spoiler: show

Now this is MUCH BETTER Image Look out Frau Nurse, he may not look it, but this man is ARMED AND READY Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:48 am 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:33 am 

No discussion about Sodom's output in a thread about album covers is complete without mentioning their 1988 live album Mortal Way of Live. The cover was done by renowned artist Sebastian Krüger. Warning: NSFW!

Krüger is better known for his elaborate caricatures of politicians and celebrities, but he did quite a few album covers. Below is just a small selection. I urge you to seek out his other stuff (not just the album covers), you're in for a treat. (I think BIL may enjoy Krüger's portrait of Mick Jagger entitled "Sticky Finger".)

^^ I seem to remember that this artwork was originally planned as a triptychon, but got cut down to these two 'tarot cards' due to timing constraints. I can't find a source for that information, though, so I might be totally wrong.

^^ This CD packaging was a digipak with an unusual altar folding that split the image right in the middle, so you could look at the left and right halves of the picture seperately or together by opening and closing the flaps.

^^ I love how Krüger interpreted the title "Dirty Surfaces" as "Dirty Surf-Aces" in this one. This is the third cover featuring the same gang of anthropomorphic animals Krüger did for Risk. Apparently, the band weren't really entirely happy with those covers, as they felt they made them appear as some kind of 'joke' band, while they were, in fact, very much a serious one in both music and lyrics. On the other hand, they didn't have the heart to turn down those awesome covers their record company had commissioned.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:47 am 

Herr Schatten wrote:
(I think BIL may enjoy Krüger's portrait of Mick Jagger entitled "Sticky Finger".)

Blimey. :lol: Spitting Image meets Gynoug.

Quote:
MAD BUTCHER

Just when I think I've spotted all of Holy Diver's metal references... Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:06 am 

andsuchisdeath wrote:

That Neurosis album sleeve is a perma-classic and very cool. Times of Grace is pretty iconic also.

And as a Québécois, I gotta salute the Gorguts pick. well done sir

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:36 am 

To think that when I was a kid, I got to hear a song from Today Is the Day's Supernova album, when it was new, on the radio station just practically destroyed by authorities running the country about now. Those were the days when state-owned media had something of as mission.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:10 pm 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:

To think that when I was a kid, I got to hear a song from Today Is the Day's Supernova album, when it was new, on the radio station just practically destroyed by authorities running the country about now. Those were the days when state-owned media had something of as mission.

That's so cool.

Today is the Day had such a crazy sound for 1993 ( I mean Steve Austin never really stopped being crazy). Talk about being too vicious sounding for AmRep (that's no slight against the label!) too. Then again, I can't imagine an other larger independent label putting out that album at the time (Relapse hadn't branched too far outside of metal and grind in 1993, unless you count the output on "Release"). Too extreme for noise rock, more abrasive sounding than a lot of metal bands, yet hardly a metal band. And their songs were "conventional" enough where they likely wouldn't please people looking for general "avant grade" music. Oh, Willpower also has a great album cover too IMO.

FinalBaton wrote:
That Neurosis album sleeve is a perma-classic and very cool. Times of Grace is pretty iconic also.

And as a Québécois, I gotta salute the Gorguts pick. well done sir

For sure! I agree Times of grace has become iconic (I guess I'm saying "has become" because I got into Neurosis maybe 6 months before that album was released. And I was a kid then...so idk..sometimes it just feels strange to feel old).

And well, although I'm a big Dan Seagrave fan in general, old Québécois death metal is some of my favorite dm (Gorguts, first two Cryptopsy full lengths, Kataklysm's Mystical Gate of Reincarnation).

Last edited by andsuchisdeath on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:15 pm 

andsuchisdeath wrote:
For sure! I agree Times of grace has become iconic.

And well, although I'm a big Dan Seagrave fan in general, old Québécois death metal is some of my favorite dm (Gorguts, first two Cryptopsy full lengths, Kataklysm's Mystical Gate of Reincarnation).

Awesome! I take it you know Martyr as well? if not then you definitely should and you absolutely need to hear them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:26 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
Awesome! I take it you know Martyr as well? if not then you definitely should and you absolutely need to hear them.

Yeah I know them. I don't remembering liking them that much, but this was in like 2002/2003 . I'm assuming what I heard was material from Warp Zone (I had to look at their discogs page to know this).

I'll give their catalogue a chronological listen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:54 pm 

Ok, so listened to Martyr's "Hopeless Hopes".

I hear a lot of Symbolic and Human in it, among other things which is cool. It's technical for sure. I guess I dislike the vocals.

I'm half way into Warp Zone now...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:41 pm 

The Coroner covers are all excellent.

What's the third one in your post? It doesn't look familiar, but definitely interesting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:04 pm 

I see the context is ripe for Extreme Cold Weather by Messiah.

Just found these pictures on English Wikipedia...

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

...but I'm being reluctant to lend an ear, for their being Russian makes me suspect some aggressive "patriotism" behind it (which is a cultural bias, admittedly). I most likely heard them at least on the radio as a lad, though. The name's ringing a bell.

Metal sung in Russian is a necessity, I admit. Case in point - a Russian-singing, Metal-playing, FINNISH band named KYCPK (pretty cool, fan-made Russian video here). Terrifyingly good listened to whilst drunk.
Now, if anyone knows of any good Metal sung in ITALIAN, I'm all ears...

P.S. The film material used in that Demon video blatantly hints at The Demon Seated painting by Vrubel.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6