High scores section - shmups only?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Neon

High scores section - shmups only?

Post by Neon »

I say we allow other kinds of games...where else can we post our metal slug scores? :) marp seems to not get updated very often, judging by the versions of the mames and roms used.

What do you think? No "start your own forum LOL" please :P
Rob

Post by Rob »

UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

That'd kill the whole point of calling this place the "Shmups Forum", right? In reality, I don't agree entirely. There's a whole Off-Topic section already. Plus, it would be fun to have a separate High Score thread for the borderliners, but strictly for borderliners or we'll have people posting all kind of junk.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Well, it wouldn't be a problem if you just placed the 'Non-Shmups High Scores' forum in the Omake section, rather in the Shmups section, would it?

I'd like to see how well some of you guys do in some certain non-shmup games.

Edit: I just noticed that it now says 'Off-Topic' instead of the 'Omake' that I used to enjoy seeing on the old shmups board.
landshark

Post by landshark »

This post on the TNL board is awesome:

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/show ... hp?t=31957
ArrogantBastard

I don't know about you guys, but I loathe message boards that don't have a limit on sig sizes and amount of images in sigs because it just detracts from my reading experience. I guess I'm anal when it comes to forums like that, because I like minimum usage on sig images and texts in sig area to keep everything all tidied up and organized.

In summation: My post = blah, blah, blah. It's just a little rant / bitch-fest of mine.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

ProTip: You can turn signatures off. OMG
Davey

Post by Davey »

As it turns out, yes, there are other games you can play for score besides shmups. I think it would be nice to have a non-shmups score board.

My only recollection of this happening was when 8 1/2 tried to make a Wario Ware hi score thread in the OT section, but it failed miserably. So perhaps there's a lack of interest (then again, he put that up right after the game came out)?

And yes, huge avatars and sigs are annoying. I liked our old board policy of 64x64 avatars (no animation) and no pics in sigs.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

what about playing shmups and post scores in the high score section instead? :roll:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
jp

Post by jp »

Or the admin could just make a seperate section for high scores of other games. If we just clumped all kinds of crap in the shmups high score section it would really kill that aspect of this site.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
99pence

Post by 99pence »

It will needlessly dilute the site and it would be hardly be used.

Use another forum where you can post non shmup scores and watch in amazement as it doesn't get used.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
ArrogantBastard

OmegaFlareX wrote:ProTip: You can turn signatures off. OMG
I could do that, but if someone has a link to some amazing sites, or ebay auction, or to a thread that might be worth reading would be overlooked easily.
TVG

Post by TVG »

id say arcade shmuppy run and guns like metal slug are close enough to have their place in the high scores forum, but other than that, wouldnt make much sense to call the place shmups.com :S

then again, who am i..?
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

A non-shmup score board in the Omake wouldn't be bad, I doubt I'd read it, but I definetly wouldn't want non-shmup scores in the existing high-score forum. It'd just clutter up the place.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I vote no. It would only be a matter a time before we start featuring RPG strategies on here too! etc,etc. "I can't kill the final boss in Final Fantasy VII, HELP!"

The reason that the Off Topic section is here, is because some of us enjoy discussing other things, rather than shooting games all the time. If it weren't for that, it would just be the 5 of us talking about Gradius again...

Shmups.com is growing, but it should never lose its focus...when and if it does, it will be just like all other websites on the internet.

Although, a "borderliner" list could be inlcuded, and I don't think it would interfere with anything.
For the record, some still insist that games such as Metal Slug are in fact "shoot-em-ups", and the term "Run n' Gun" never entered their minds.

Maybe we should just change the name of this site to "Anythingwefuckingwant.com" !!?? :shock:
ArrogantBastard

Now that I've given it a bit more of a thought, I would have to agree with some of those who oppose it. It would make sense that if we were to allow that sort of thing in shmups-only forum, it would make us lose focus on what the website was originally about and convert into something else that isn't related to shmups. So I think it shouldn't be allowed, in favor of preserving this genre to its own genre where it belongs.
Neon

Post by Neon »

what about playing shmups and post scores in the high score section instead? Rolling Eyes
This from a guy who always whines about trolling :P

Yeah, I can see everyone's point on the clutter thing, just seems silly to me to have shmups but not metal slug etc...ah well, there's always MARP.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Neon wrote:
what about playing shmups and post scores in the high score section instead? Rolling Eyes
This from a guy who always whines about trolling :P
Still, i've never seen a score of yours: too shy :? ?

Yeah, I can see everyone's point on the clutter thing, just seems silly to me to have shmups but not metal slug etc...ah well, there's always MARP.
Why it seems silly? After all, people here just rave about covers and petitions instead of play what they throw away money on, what would be the point in diluting even more the already "mild" high score section?And beside that, you can always ask the administrators, after all :?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Randorama wrote:what about playing shmups and post scores in the high score section instead? :roll:
Me, personally? Laziness, mostly.
99pence wrote:It will needlessly dilute the site and it would be hardly be used.

Use another forum where you can post non shmup scores and watch in amazement as it doesn't get used.
Touché.
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:It would only be a matter a time before we start featuring RPG strategies on here too! etc,etc. "I can't kill the final boss in Final Fantasy VII, HELP!"
Well, under the current setup there's nothing stopping anybody from posting that very question in the OT section right now (unless RPGs are way too OT to even discuss, unlike circumcision, Iraq, dating advice, and Firefox advocacy). However, I doubt they would because games like that are already so well documented elsewhere that they'd be better off going to places like Gamefaqs. On the other hand, some niche genres (like single screen platformers) aren't nearly as well documented. Then again, an OT score board would lead to OT strategy, which might open floodgates to a lot of crap, yes.

I just thought this would be as good of a place as any to start such a thing, since threads about other score-based genres pop up here and there, so I figured if there's enough interest anywhere, it's here (although it's probably still not enough). After thinking about it, yes, it would probably have a little bit of initial interest and then rot away into meaningless clutter.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Still, i've never seen a score of yours: too shy Confused ?
I was making progress in llabnip's strikers 2 thread in the old forum. With school and everything right now, my high scores are mostly suited to competing with myself rather than others :) this summer you might see me in the Batsugun thread though.