Capcom Generations PSX vs Saturn

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Strider77

Capcom Generations PSX vs Saturn

Post by Strider77 »

I have volumes 1 and 2 of these on the saturn. I noticed that on volume 1 when played on a tate set up the screen is cropped pretty bad. On volume 2 Ghosts and Goblins and Super Ghouls and Ghosts are cropped pretty bad also.

I was wondering if the PSX versions suffered from being cropped as well. Also wanted to know the same thing for volume 4, I don't own this version on either.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
BrianC

Re: Capcom Generations PSX vs Saturn

Post by BrianC »

Strider77 wrote:I have volumes 1 and 2 of these on the saturn. I noticed that on volume 1 when played on a tate set up the screen is cropped pretty bad. On volume 2 Ghosts and Goblins and Super Ghouls and Ghosts are cropped pretty bad also.

I was wondering if the PSX versions suffered from being cropped as well. Also wanted to know the same thing for volume 4, I don't own this version on either.
I heard that on PSX the game doesn't do real tate and is pretty much a horizontal screen in a vertical orientation. Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts are all horizontally oriented games, so tate is pretty pointless for those anyway.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

On GnG collection I'm not worried about tate. Just if the screen is cropped on the Ghost n Goblins and SGnG ports.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Tested them all out... they are all NOT cropped on the PS1. PS1 versions look better with the exception of Ghouls n Ghosts on Volume 2.... that one is odd on PS1. It WOULD be the better version except the brightness is way to low.... parts of the background are practically gone due to the picture being way to dark. It can be corrected with adjusting your picture settings but what a pain.

Other than than that the PSX versions are better. SGnG still has slowdown in both the Saturn and PSX.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

BrianC wrote:I heard that on PSX the game doesn't do real tate and is pretty much a horizontal screen in a vertical orientation. Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts are all horizontally oriented games, so tate is pretty pointless for those anyway.
The jap version I own does tate.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

yojo! wrote:
BrianC wrote:I heard that on PSX the game doesn't do real tate and is pretty much a horizontal screen in a vertical orientation. Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts are all horizontally oriented games, so tate is pretty pointless for those anyway.
The jap version I own does tate.
I'm just going by what I read in another post here, but would mind being more specific? I heard somewhere that the tate didn't fill the whole screen and had a bar at the top. I wasn't saying it doesn't do tate at all, just that the tate might not fill the whole screen. BTW, I was talking about the JP version and, as I said, this is only something I read. There's a post that says the JP only Saturn 1942/3 collection has top and bottom borders here.
As for Commando and 1942, 1943, they have big black borders. I am not sure about the Playstation version though, but the saturn version has these borders. Worth a purchase? You decide. Mercs is full screen though. As for Gunsmoke, I can't remember.
Anyway, now that I think of it, maybe the cropping of the games on Saturn has to do with the TV and how it handles resolutions? I noticed cropping of some games on a couple TVs.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

PS can do SNES resolution, Saturn can't.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

The PSX version of Vol 1 [1940s games] and 4 [commando, mercs, and gunsmoke] are all tate games in the arcade. The PSX [japanese] versions all have a tate option for those games as well as the saturn. BUT on the saturn versions they are squashed due to the saturn's resolution. All the graphic information is there in the saturn versions but it's squashed. You wind up with a really big black bar on the top and the wrong aspect ratio.

On the PSX they are all proper.

On volume 2 Ghost's and Goblins and Super Ghouls and Ghosts suffer the same black bars and squished aspect ratio on the saturn again and the PSX version of those games again do not suffer from that issue. Ghouls and Ghosts on BOTH versions have the proper aspect ration, no black bars and are proper. But for some odd reason the PSX version suffers from being way to dark to the point where some of the background layers are gone and not visible. It's odd.... it can be corrected by making majors changes to your monitor's picture adjustments [pain in the ass if you ask me]. Those backgrounds are there but the whole things brightness/contrast settings are way off.

It sucks b/c the loading is way less on the PSX version and it suffers no slowdown at all. The saturn version of GnG is still good, the loading isn't bad and it has some minor slowdown in the 1st stage but nothing horrid.

Just a shame the PSX version suffers that brightness contrast issues other wise it would be a near perfect or a perfect port along with the other 2 GnG games on the disc.

Both the PSX and saturn version still have slowdown on Super Ghouls n Ghosts. I can't really comment on the slowdown being more or less ect on SGnG.

I played all these today on both 1st hand tated when it applied.
D

Post by D »

I had no idea about the differences. I´d love to see side by side videos of every game including the way they tate.
All these games can also be found on the Capcom Classics Collection on the PS2
CCC1 can be 480p forced with GSM.
CCC2 has a 480p option in settings.
But the ps1/Sat versions probably look better (in RGB).
BIL

Post by BIL »

No tate in the PS2 collections either. But you do get arcade-perfect Final Fight in CCC1, so that's still a good purchase.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Yeah... I have played them all over the weekend on both platforms. ALL are BETTER on PS1 except Ghouls and Ghosts on VOL 2 like I mentioned before.
Mero

Post by Mero »

PS1 Capcom Generation 3 Exed Exes is absolutely spot on in tate.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Ghouls N Ghosts on Saturn to me may have nice easy to see backgrounds, but between stages loading screens annoy the heck out of me with this one. I know the Saturn has more ram, yet the PS 1 version has little down time between levels.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Loading didn't really bother me.... it wasn't LONG loading by any means.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Whining about the loading in the Saturn Ghouls 'n Ghosts seems to be like complaining just for the sake of complaining. It's not like the loading is anywhere near the same level of, say, the Dungeons & Dragons Collection, heh.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

agreed
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

When you see the Saturn load games faster than the PSX in many cases, and this game, a game easily done on the Saturn, and owning both Capcom Generation 2's (PSX and Saturn), and seeing the PSX version pull the game off with a better effort. Yes I am nitpicky sometimes, this just so happens to be one of those cases. :mrgreen:

But alas at least Ghosts N Goblins and Super Ghouls N Ghosts doesn't need a loading screen between levels.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

seeing the PSX version pull the game off with a better effort
I can't agree with that... the backgrounds are flat out not visable unless you blast the brightness of your set to an unreasonable level.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

To me both versions have their weakness, those dark backgrounds carried over to Capcom Classics Collection as well. I just side with the PSX one on this as I don't mind turning up my TV's contrast so that I can admire the backgrounds, not that I have time to see them with all the enemies the game spews out at you. :)
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

It's just a shame b/c that collection would be perfect otherwise.

Side note: Salamander Collection suffers the same squished resolution on saturn where the PSX version does not. Salamander 2 fairs the same on BOTH consoles but the older games are squashed on the saturn as well.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks for the Salamander 2 info Strider, I had wondered if the Saturn fared any better with its resolution.

Does anyone know how Parodius Deluxe Pack, Jikkyou Oshaberi Paro and/or Sexy Parodius' PS and SS ports stack up, performance-wise? General consensus around here seems to be they're about even, although some mention more slowdown in the PS version of Parodius Deluxe Pack.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

BIL wrote:Thanks for the Salamander 2 info Strider, I had wondered if the Saturn fared any better with its resolution.

Does anyone know how Parodius Deluxe Pack, Jikkyou Oshaberi Paro and/or Sexy Parodius' PS and SS ports stack up, performance-wise? General consensus around here seems to be they're about even, although some mention more slowdown in the PS version of Parodius Deluxe Pack.
I did not notice slow down per say on Parodius DP for PSX but the Saturn version runs definetly faster. I don't know which speed is closer to the arcade version.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Thanks for the Salamander 2 info Strider, I had wondered if the Saturn fared any better with its resolution.

Not sure about the resloution in those, the the resloution is a bit off in Gradius Deluxe Pack for Saturn.