Post your flavor of the month VG music

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
blackoak

Re: Post your flavor of the month VG music

Post by blackoak »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1OkWsqt-30

goddamn, so good. the synth build around 2 minutes in that closes the song loop is great. shades of mega man in this too...

if secret of mana had just changed a few things in the game balance (magic), it would have been an absolute masterpiece of gameplay, too. the bones are all there...
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

xbl0x180 wrote:http://soundcloud.com/lazyitis-1/super-morrissey-bros

Been listenin' to Super Morrissey Brothers: A Super Mario Bros.-styled rendition of The Smiths' "This Charming Man" 8)

AWESOME. I'm a HUGE fan.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of rap, but this song from Max Anarchy is stuck in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAfOVUg_ ... re=related
BIL

Post by BIL »

SCC Memorial Series Snatcher - Joint Disk

I love the Konami SCC. Its sound is like an evolution of the PCE's finest hour, the heavenly Tatsujin. It really shines on this album's Snatcher tracks - there's plenty of highlights, but anyone who enjoys the old chiptunes needs to set aside twenty minutes to hear Theme of Ending. It and the other final eight tracks are a collective masterclass. Space Manbow and Metal Gear 2's SCC soundtracks are no slouches either.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Fumio Ito - Aero Dancing 4 -New Generation- Original Soundtrack

I just ripped this game yesterday. Fighter Jets and Metal, best combination ever.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Holy wow, that's really good, KAI. Very much enjoying it; thanks for the rip.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Hadn't heard of this ever before, surfed the tube and was like: :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58a6XD7 ... hOYBmzE04Q

Short and sweet.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

Recently learned that Neo Contra finally got a soundtrack release in 2011, via Sota Fujimori's third Synthesized album - it was a preorder bonus disc. This was a lively but forgettable electronica soundtrack on the whole, with Akira Yamaoka's coarsening presence sorely missed, and good rips of its stage BGMs have been around for a while.

What makes this disc notable is the inclusion of the much stronger cutscene BGMs, sans voice acting. Always wanted to hear these properly, and some are really excellent. These should've been the in-game soundtrack. The cutscene budget should've gone into better level design. Then we'd have a real game goin'. :o
Eaglet wrote:Hadn't heard of this ever before, surfed the tube and was like: :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58a6XD7 ... hOYBmzE04Q

Short and sweet.
Oh hell yeah. :o That would make a killer ship select tune.
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

I own Shadow Squadron (US version of Stellar Assault).

Definitely tied with Chaotix for the best 32X soundtrack. It's nice that some developers actually bothered to make use of the system's extra sound channels.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Been listening to a lot of SQ Chips 1 and 2, and Beer SQ. The arrangement of Can You Fly Sister is so good. It makes me want to play Seiken Densetsu 3... time to bite the bullet and get a repro cart I guess.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
KAI

Post by KAI »

C82 CDsssssssss!!

Touhou Gensou Shiten 9 - “Joker”, Fruited Vagabond Vol.2 and Falcom Boss Zanmai are GOOD!
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

JDK- Oath in Felghana.

Shinji Hosoe & Ayako Saso - Tetris TGM 3.

Yack - Super Chase: Criminal Termination. The intro tune is awesome. Stage 1's BGM "Dandy Lady" has some cool slap bass and synth-guitar riffs, with a long but cool break at around 1:42-2:28.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I was half-expecting this box to be shoddy quality one way or another, given how atrocious Konami's treatment of its older series tends to be. Pleasantly surprised by its sound quality - the GB, FC, MSX and SFC tracks in here all sound fantastic with sturdy bass, and the existing OSTs sourced from Gradius Arcade Collection, Gaiden, IV and V's OSTs all seem unmolested.

Always wanted a proper recording of Gradius III SFC's exclusive tracks, and the second and third MSX games' soundtracks are hook-infested chiptune heaven.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

that and konami shooting collection are pretty great little boxes, though ksc doesn't have cute little touches like the game over sfx that the guc does. what it does have are both sets of the salamander 2 unused tracks (one set from pcb, other from original album), which is awesome.

i'd like them to somehow record gradius iii sfc's soundtrack without interpolation (turning interpolation off makes nearly everything on the system sound better i swears it) because spc/the anonymous rippers can't seem to get it right yet.

also on gradius, i found a fairly konami-sounding bit from one of those Shmups No One Cares About: sol-feace, specifically the x68000 version (which is pretty much better than the mega cd version*, except for stage 2). song is ARTIFICIAL SOLAR (where did these other names come from), it's not on youtube and is probably in nicovideo somewhere. that song is amazing and makes me wish he did an actual gradius game back then (unless he can do one like this now, which i doubt).

(* as for the mega drive version, that shit shouldn't even be mentioned. motoi sakuraba stuff is so much better on x68000 than mega drive, and i really don't know how... oh, i want earnest evans on x68000 so badly. FUCK handclaps)
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, I need to get KSC. Not really a fan of Twinbee soundtracks and I already have quite a few of the ones I do like as standalones (Axelay + XEXEX) but it'd be nice to have them in one box, plus A-JAX, Trigon and Thunder Cross music without that massive Konami Masterpiece Collection full of music I don't care for. "First Attack," "Skywalker" and the broootal "Great Battleship" are some of the Konami stable's best tunes ever. "Machine Graveyard" is a bit weak on OST but the hilariously MASSIVE, cowbell-molesting version on the first Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle makes it a legend in my estimation.

unf unf unf! ffffffuckinawesome. It does indeed sound like something you'd hear in a Machine Graveyard, preferably as lightning flashes and thunder rolls while something looking like Last Resort's first boss erupts from beneath the scrap going "BRAWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

Interesting about the Salamander 2 out-takes too. I was a bit miffed after deleting the standalone S2 OST in favour of the collection, only to notice "Fire Tripper" wasn't on the latter. Fuck!

I mean fuuuuck
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

yeah salamander arcade soundtrack sucked even in 2002. you were always better off hunting down salamander again and the salamander 2 ost.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Bucky O'Hare NES has some rad music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_01kCK6cw
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BIL

Post by BIL »

Posted by zinger over at Gamengai: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_PP53IFnAY *swoon* Space Manbow from 4:15, Puyo Puyo & GG Aleste from 9:55! And probably more awesome VGM I don't know. Beautiful.
KAI

Post by KAI »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Offense and Defense, one of the two good songs from Harmony of Dissonance. The sense of escalating conflict, with its sparring halves piling up tension over a pulsing beat until the emphatic breakdown, makes it one of my favourite pieces across the entire CV canon. Deserved a better OST and a better game.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

The MOD music composed by Skaven 252 for the Bejeweled games has always been excellent, and Bejeweled 3 is no exception. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Ice Storm Mode
Butterflies Mode

All of them here:
http://skaven252.bandcamp.com/album/bejeweled-3
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

my flavor of the month music is the soundtrack to Emperor: Battle For Dune. still in my eyes the best RTS that westwood made. now if only I can defeat the darn ordos!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Flf8kMWZM8
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Listening to a few tracks here and there from an old favorite of mine, Pulseman.

... Damn, I've always loved the game with all my heart but I seriously under-appreciated the music, that is some classy stuff.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
KAI

Post by KAI »

Hyakutaro Tsukumo - Kisou Ryouhei Gunhound EX Original Soundtrack
Just ripped it and love it. I missed this guy's music so much.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ACE COMBAT 2 OST

MY MULLET IS OVERFLOWING
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

HELL YEAH.
lol
KAI

Post by KAI »

That soundtrack is the reason why I love game music.
Fire Away, Bear Tracks, Fire youngman and Rising High ROCK!
BIL

Post by BIL »

:cool:

Bear Tracks +99999999999. What a groove...
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Really really diggin' the Gun & Frontier soundtrack. Thanks a bunch to CMoon for bringing the Saturn version to the shmupmeet :D

Stage 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkfOolpyjA

Really atmospheric and emotional, definitely fits well with the game and makes it that much more of an 'experience'.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hell yeah - Gun Frontier's OST is amazing. The progression of the first stage's BGM from an ambient drone to defiance epitomised is quite something. The buildup is particularly striking when paired with the "BOOM" takeoff scene, like a sharper, more explosive forerunner of Ikaruga's.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Rather last month, but I couldn't get enough of the options screen music in Shin MegaTen Nocturne/Lucifer's Call. Some people might not have listened to it at all as there's no other reason to stay on that screen for any more than a couple of seconds (and I couldn't even find it on YouTube). Just "PRESS ANY BUTTON" when the game tells you to and leave that Magatama

Rolling and rolling there
Where God seems not to care;

so unlike everything else in the game.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off