Your top 3 game companies.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Your top 3 game companies.

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

List your 3 most favorite video game companies, and list a few games why.

CAPCOM:
Street Fighter series, Devil May Cry,19XX, Loop Master,U.N Sqaudron,Resident Evil etc PLus, they helped out Takumi. GigaWing!!

KONAMI:
Contra series,Castlevania series,Gradius series, etc (nuff said right there!)

NAMCO:
Soul Calibur,Time Crisis, Ridge Racer series,Phelios, etc.

I would say that these three companies have done it all. Everything from classic shmups, to platforming perfection to intense racing and sports. Even different genre's from "Survival Horror" to "Gun Shooting", even RPG's(Suikoden)....throw into the mix some obscure and weird, such as Katamari Damachi.

These three companies would keep the gaming world alive and well without a hitch, even if every other company folded, including Nintendo and Sega. (these guys are good too, but I'm only listing top 3, remember?)
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Konami: Silent Hill series (I have yet to play SH4), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid series (I have yet to play MGS3) Suikoden series, and Contra for NES

Nintendo: Need I list the greatest party games they've made thus far?

Interplay / Black Isle (RIP): Fallout series and Planescape: Torment.

I have several more favorite companies, but it's hard to decide which one of them are worth mentioning because I've got so many fond memories of playing their games back in the olden days when I had a shitty computer and was always constantly amazed by the games that came out from iD Software, Apogee, Virgin Interactive, 3D Realms, Monolith, LucasArts, Westwood, Microprose, Origin Systems, and so on...

Also, when I had NES and SNES, I, too, was amazed by the awesome games that came out on the system.

It saddens me to see that most of the companies are long gone since some corporate bigwigs have engulfed them whole in one fell swoop, or that their fiscal year was hurting the company bad enough that they went out of business.

I shall dust off my old copies of kick-ass PC games that ruled the days of gaming with an iron fist during early '90's.
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

Konami
- Castlevania
- Contra
- Gradius
- Metal Gear
- UN Squadron

Nintendo
- F-Zero
- Mario
- Metroid
- Star Fox
- Super Smash Bros
- Zelda

Namco
- Ace Combat
- Ridge Racer
- Time Crisis
Last edited by VNAF Ace on Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyCar Series. One series. All the stars.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

SquareEnix:
- Final Fantasy
- Chrono Cross
- Chrono Trigger

Cave
- ESP RA.DE.
- ESPGaluda
- Donpachi
- Dodonpachi
- Dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU
- Guwange

Unfortunately those are all the Cave games I have :(

SNK
- Mark Of The Wolves
- King Of Fighters
- Metal Slug (well, almost SNK)

Other companies that are much appreciated in my little world: Sega, 8ting/Raizing, Konami and Namco (with Monolith who did Xenogears/saga).
vek

Post by vek »

Sega - Rez, JSR, Daytona, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, Sonic, Virtual On, Shenmue, NHL2K etc, all their consoles being full of wonderful games. They're just great :) edit - omfg i didn't mention Shinobi. I deserve to be ninja'd to death.

Capcom - Street Fighter, Power Stone, One Piece Mansion, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Darkstalkers, Strider... and porting lots of lovely games to consoles and even bringing them to us poor mistreated Europeans, Gigawing, Gunbird 2 etc. But really, they'd be here on the strength of Street Fighter alone. The rest is a bonus. A damn nice bonus...

And this is where it gets hard...
Konami? Nintendo? Konami? Nintendo? etc... I can't decide. On another day, I'd probably have put them first and second, and now be debating between Sega and Capcom... who knows.

I'm going to go for Nintendo, though, firstly because stuff like the NES and SNES Mario games are still every bit as good today as they were when they came out, and secondly because of how absolutely amazing Mario 64 and Zelda: OOT were. And because F-Zero is a wonderful series.

So thats Sega, Capcom, Nintendo.

Of course, I've missed out a lot of other companies, but while every game I've played by, say, Treasure, Game Arts or Cave, has been great, I don't think I could put them ahead of the ones I've mentioned overall.

Also, I'll second what ArrogantBastard said about the early 90's PC games. They were great, really really great. Unfortunately, most of the companies are gone or ruined nowadays. Sierra would have been straight in at number one for me, once. Oh well.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

overall:

1) Konami: thanks for everything. Lately you do suck a bit (PS2 Contras, PS2 Castlevanias, Turtles, Frogger, Cy Girls... Yeah, lately your lineup suck). Silent Hill is not in good shape either. Luckily you still have Hideo-san. Konami was the best no doubt in the '90s but now it's losing some of its quality.

2) Capcom: too many sequels. But you've grown on me. I like your mood, your close contact with fans, and the fact that you're not a multi-mega corporation that owns fitness centres and do soccer games. Your entire line-up is action adventure stuff, and this is great. You had lived some of the best moments in recent gaming: Viewtiful Joe, Onimusha, Devil May Cry... Resident Evil 4 is the best thing that could even happen to both RE and the Cube. Megaman is a bitch, but it too had its moments with Dash and Exe. Heck guys, you're even involved with Zelda, which is like, the greatest honor you can get in this industry. Good job Capcom. Another "Castlevania - The Cheap Cash-in coming on a Six-month Basis" and you take the first spot here. Although nothing you do is on par with MGS.

3) the third spot is vacant. I like the others pretty much the same. Sega, you were doing great with Rez and Jet Set Radio... But you're losing your edge. Sony. Thanks for the hardware guys. For the price lowering, the mass market, the great controller. Oh, and for ICO, of course. Nintendo. Thanks for Miyamoto, and for staying true to yourself.

Shmups-wise:

1) Namco. Because Xevious is a masterwork.
2) Konami. Because "we love shooting games!"
3) Compile. For every single game they released.
X - P - B
99pence

Post by 99pence »

1. Treasure
Castlevania IV
Gunners Heaven
Gradius

2. Capcom
Progear
Dimahoo
Mars Matrix

3. Atari
Rolling Thunder
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Cave made Progear.
raiden

Post by raiden »

Cave made Progear
And Raizing made Dimahoo. And Takumi made Mars Matrix. I like the style of Capcom games, but in the shmups category, they didn´t do anything meaningful besides the 19.. series, so I don´t think they deserve much praise there.
stoneroses

Post by stoneroses »

1. Sega: a nice balance of mainstream and nitch titles that are all fun to play
Panzer Dragoon, Rez, Jet Set Radio, Daytona, Sonic, Zaxxon, Space Harrier, Outrun, the game formerly known as ESPN Football, Monkey Ball

2. Nintendo: a solid gameplay catalog of fun to play titles, I am growing tired of the constant recycling of ideas though
Mario, Zelda, Pilotwings, Star Fox, Wave Race, F-Zero, Punch Out, Rogue Squadron

3. various companies: it seems to drop off a bit at this level
Capcom, Konami, Microsoft, Rare (the old Rare), Namco
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

Capcom-Street Fighter

Psikyo-SB,Strikers 1999

EA/EA BIG-Madden 2005 NBA live 2004, Nfl Streetz 2
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Kakizaki

Post by Kakizaki »

This is too hard, but I will try to narrow it down.... :P

SEGA - I think Stoneroses said it best -- they create some great mainstream titles yet are effective with niche titles as well. I love them for Panzer Dragoon, Outrun, Virtua Fighter, Shinobi, and well, I could go on and on.

Atlus - I love just about anything related to Shin Megami Tensei. Most underrated RPG series (well at least in the U.S.) ever.

Again this is where it gets pretty difficult for me. Square Enix for Vagrant Story and DQ, Compile for everything related to Aleste, Hudson for old Bomberman and Adventure Island titles, Red Company, SNK, Capcom, Treasure, Konami, Capcom, Westone for Wonderboy.....I know I am leaving something out
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Treasure (Guardian Heroes, Gunstar Heroes, Ikaruga)
SNK (Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury)
Remedy (Max Payne 2)
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

1) Dice- these guys made the spiritual successors to the Sega Rally series when they put out the Rallisport Challenge games. They are also extremely down to earth. When EA was trying to buy out Dice, you could talk to them about it on their Rallisport Challenge messageboard. Also check out the credits in Rallisport Challenge 2.

2) Capcom 1986-2002- Even though they are about milking Resident Evil these days, I still remember them from my time playing the street fighter series. They also made such great games as Strider and Ghosts n Ghouls.

3) Sega AM2- These guys made the most realistic console racer ever in F355...and the world ignored it in favor of crap. They also played a significant role in both Outrun and Outrun 2. They KNOW Ferrari better than Ferrari knows themselves.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

You will have to forgive me, but I'll have to mention 4 softwarehouses, as I think they are all great, and I couldn't leave any of them out.

Compile - Zanac, Aleste, Guardic, Puyo Puyo, MUSHA, Golvellius, Crusader...
Everyone knows my fanboyism towards Compile. I love them, I grew up with them being my fav developers, and I really wish they would be still around. They've made the best shmups on MSX, and a few more other awesome games in other genres.

Konami - Metal Gear, Space Manbow, Gradius, Penguin Adventure, Sunset Riders, Castlevania, Winning Eleven ...
Also everyone knows that I am a big MSX fan, it's the machine which I begun playing games seriously, it's the system which I spent my childhood with. And EVERY MSX Fan HAS to be a Konami fan. They've made their name on MSX, EVERYTHING they released on this machine was pure gold. And they continued their high-quality productions over the time, and still keep on doing. I hate some of the company bussiness decisions, but they are the only company that managed to release a huge quantity of games since they were born, and always keep the quality at high standars.

Treasure - Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Dynamite Headdy, Yuyu Hakusho, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Silhoutte Mirage...
I could have just a Mega-Drive and their line-up of Mega-Drive games and be happy for the rest of my life. I haven't played much of their more modern stuff (I have no "new-generation" system), but everything I've played from then is just bloody brilliant

Sensible Software - Wizkid, Megalomania, Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Sensible World of Soccer
I bet some people here haven't even heard about them. They had made some great games on the C64, but their line-up of Amiga games is just fantastic. All their games are witty, and so damn brilliant, they always play like a dream, and are lots of fun.

Well, that's it :) If I had to pick one more, I probably would pick Sega, for the same reasons stated before.
vek

Post by vek »

Shatterhand wrote:Sensible Software - Wizkid, Megalomania, Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Sensible World of Soccer
I bet some people here haven't even heard about them. They had made some great games on the C64, but their line-up of Amiga games is just fantastic. All their games are witty, and so damn brilliant, they always play like a dream, and are lots of fun.
Sensible certainly did some amazing games. I really can't decide if Sensible Soccer or Cannon Fodder is my favourite though. Cannon Fodder is still one of the few games where I felt like I really wanted to get my people through the missions without dying, even if I knew I'd have no problem doing the mission without them. The only other I can think of off the top of my head are the support people in Ring of Red, running around fixing the mechs or throwing grenades about and such. There's probably more, but these two stick in my mind for that.
captain ahar

I love...

Post by captain ahar »

Cave
Nintendo
Konami (gradius and castlevania mostly)

many other greats (i will forever be in lucasarts debt...to a certain degree, for Grim Fandango)
I have no sig whatsoever.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

1) Compile: Aleste series, Zanac series, etc.

2) Toaplan: Sky Shark, Fire Shark, and Batsugun, to name a few.

3) Konami: The Salamander series, and the Contra Series, and Gradius V
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

vek wrote:Sensible certainly did some amazing games. I really can't decide if Sensible Soccer or Cannon Fodder is my favourite though. Cannon Fodder is still one of the few games where I felt like I really wanted to get my people through the missions without dying, even if I knew I'd have no problem doing the mission without them. The only other I can think of off the top of my head are the support people in Ring of Red, running around fixing the mechs or throwing grenades about and such. There's probably more, but these two stick in my mind for that.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It was always kind of sad when you had a soldier coming with you for lots of missions, and the he dies. This is more true with the soldiers that appear in the beggining. In later missions, a soldier is lucky to survive for more than 2 missions :)

Cannon Fodder is really excellent stuff. Sensible Software was working in a new version of it, but after Jon Hare broke with Codemasters, I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

And Sensible World of Soccer... mate, There was an era of my life that I used to play this game EVERY SINGLE DAY....
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Doh! I forgot about Sega! They would probably be my third, but Konami would sure as heck be close!
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
silvery wings

Post by silvery wings »

Easy to decide:

#1 Konami: Konami (along with sega) has done more for the arcade industry than most companies (at least in my country). Without them I wouldn't have enjoyed the '90s. Current favorites: Gradius II/V, SOTN, and Zone of the Enders 2.

#2 Sega: Sega brought the arcade experience home first, and despite the fact that they have produced few shmups (astro warrior rocks though) Their software and hardware rarely ever falls below my expectations. They also seem to be able to innovate without even trying. SEGA will surely revive. Current favorites: Sonic 3&K, Virtua Fighter 4, Shinobi.

#3 Treasure: I once saw treasure described as an "art house code shop", on ebay, and It's the most accurate description of the company i've seen. They really do blur the line between art and games, and, being an artist, I can respect that. Current Favorites: Gunstar Heroes, Bangai-O, RSG
DantesInferno

Post by DantesInferno »

Capcom: Too many great games.

SNK: Samurai Shodown did it for me.

SNES Era Squaresoft: Final Fantasy IV-VI, Romancing SaGa, Rudra's Secret Treasure..and my all time fave...Seiken Densetsu 3. No one has made rpgs like these since.
Andi

Post by Andi »

What? No Taito?

Sheesh. I'm disappointed.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Nintendo - The Zeldas. I still remember the first time I played the original Zelda at one of those demo booths at the mall.

SquareEnix - Chrono Trigger/Cross, FFs.

Psikyo - Strikers, GB2.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

1. Sega - for all the reasons already mentioned.

2. Westone - I dearly love the Monsterworld series, especially parts I and IV. I love the series so much that I sat down for a whole day in order to figure out all the right answers to the Sphinx's questions in MW IV.

(Quick explanation for those unfortunate beings that have never had the pleasure to play it: You have to quickly correctly answer ten questions in a row out of 30 or so questions in total. The questions are posed randomly and, most important, in Japanese. If you give one wrong answer, you have to start over again. Quite difficult if you don't speak Japanese and have to do it all using some sort of pattern recognition.)

Man, I wish there was a new Monsterworld game on a current generation console. (But then, it would probably be some dumbed-down 3D crap and I wouldn't like it.) I also think that Westone's almost-a-shmup Monster Lair had lots of potential. I'd really like to see someone picking up the idea of a very shooty run'n'gun with forced scrolling.

3. Konami. I think all the good reasons have also been mentioned before. Nintendo is a close competitor for the 3rd place, but their "I don't care what the next game is about - it will have Mario in it"-attitude always got on my nerves, even more so in the last few years. I hate the Mario characters, but I love the games and play them anyway.

Honorable Mention: Graftgold. Well, actually only Andy Braybrook. What a genius. Uridium and especially Paradroid are still two of the best games ever.

My list of shmup companies would be as follows:
1. Compile
2. Konami
3. Psikyo
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Andi wrote:What? No Taito?

Sheesh. I'm disappointed.
OK, I'm not the only one thinnking so :D
vek

Post by vek »

Shatterhand wrote: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It was always kind of sad when you had a soldier coming with you for lots of missions, and the he dies. This is more true with the soldiers that appear in the beggining. In later missions, a soldier is lucky to survive for more than 2 missions :)

Cannon Fodder is really excellent stuff. Sensible Software was working in a new version of it, but after Jon Hare broke with Codemasters, I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

And Sensible World of Soccer... mate, There was an era of my life that I used to play this game EVERY SINGLE DAY....
yeah, shame about the cannon fodder update. one day, maybe :)

never played SWOS as much as the original sensible soccer. but then, there's not many things i did play as much as that. as much as i like pro evolution soccer, sensi is still the best football game i've played, and probably will be for a long time!
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Cave - DoDonpachi series, and the two ESP games, not to mention Progear.

Treasure - Ikaruga, Guardian Heroes, Gunstar Heroes, most of Gradius V, so forth.

and most of all, Konami - Gradius, Castlevania, and BEMANI (nuff said.)
jp

Post by jp »

1. Pre-3rd Party Sega - Because back then, they just rocked.

2. Treasure - Radiant Silvergun, Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, Silhouette Mirage, Guardian Heroes, Astro Boy: The Omega Factor... is there anything these guys can't do?

3. Nintendo - Because they made most of the classics... and I love them for that.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Treasure (we all know why)

Konami (Snatcher, Metal Gear, Policenauts, Gradius, Contra)

A tie for third: Capcom (Street Fighter, 1941 kai, the vs. games.), SNK (King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown II, and god knows how much more games they made.)

For fourth Place: Sega (SONIC!!!)