What games are you currently playing?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
ArrogantBastard

What games are you currently playing?

Post by ArrogantBastard »

I'm pretty much bored, so I thought I'd create a somewhat useless thread after putting several hours into Breath of Fire today. Here are the list with the obligatory commentary within parentheses.

Breath of Fire - SNES (Good God, why didn't I play this almost ten years ago?)
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - PS2 (On my fifth cycle of this game. So addicting...)
Shikigami no Shiro II - DC (Christ on crutches, I wish I'd get better at this game and get past 3-1. Stupid block puzzle.)
Mars Matrix - DC (I've learned how to love this game after owning it for over a year, but goddamn if it ain't hard enough than it's supposed to be.)
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Ikaruga-GC (Obsessed)
DoDon Pachi-MAME (For when I don't need to think)
Katamari Damacy-PS2 (Way too fun)
Burnout 3-PS2 (I like to smash things)
Capcom Fighting Evolution-PS2 (Slightly disapointed)
now tighter than your sister
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

You want REAL hard? Then play Mars Matrix like in the arcade with only ONE button!!!
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Almost all my gaming time as of late has been dedicated to Metal Slug X (PSX, Emu). I'm going to 1CC this b**ch. I'm aware the PSX rev is easier, but I don't have a 'stick adapter for the PC yet and playing with a keyboard hurts.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

blargh

Street Fighter Alpha3 (brushing up on my Sakura skillz yo)
Shikigami No Shiro II
beatmaniaIIDX, random styles
NES Pinball (...why?)

Gigawing has been pissing me the fuck off lately, I need a break from it. Haven't broken 50 Trillion since August of last year. -_-
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I have been playing Metal Slug Advance GBA, Atomic Punk GB, Nightshade PS2, Twinbee Famicom Mini GBA, and a few other games lately.
ArrogantBastard

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:You want REAL hard? Then play Mars Matrix like in the arcade with only ONE button!!!
I've already tried that in MAME. Never again... NEVER AGAIN, I SAY!
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Ikaruga mostly, especially since I've started to set my tele on its side. I almost broke 13 million today (Broke the 50 hour mark on my gamecube copy). Other than that, Skies of Arcadia, some Batsugun... I SHOULD be playing Berserk on my new japanese PS2 but Play Asia fucked me with my order and still have not gotten back to me about rectifying this retarded situation (I ordered a JP PS2, Berserk and Shikigami No Shiro LE.... they sold Shikigami after I ordered it, so my order is in limbo because one of my items is out of stock... even though it was in stock when I ordered the damn thing!!!)
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
ArrogantBastard

crithit5000 wrote:Ikaruga-GC (Obsessed)
Dude, I'm obsessed with that game, too; but I've decided to take an extremely LONG break from it. The game generates too much anger / fustration when it comes to practicing my chaining 'skillz'. :(
DantesInferno

Post by DantesInferno »

Ketsui-I wish the 4th level boss would decide at some point to let me kill it.

Giga Wing 2-I was playing this till the disc scuff it came with rendered it useless. (I bought this game off ebay, and it came to me with the case in about 40 pieces, and the game bouncing around the inside of the box :x )

Street Fighter Anniversary XBOX-Not getting old anytime soon.

Seiken Densetsu 3-Playing it via emulation on xbox and with the translation patch. I reeeallllly miss when Squaresoft was good.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I have been very bad and not shmupping lately :( but because I want to put time into Platypus, and my USB hub is going out... :evil: [anyone know of a good brand of USB hub I should look into getting?]

In the past week or so:
- Insaniquarium Deluxe [to buy the fish I want for the screensaver option, which is the only reason I bother]
- BookWorm Deluxe
- a brief bit of Platypus before getting mad at my USB hub going out
- Adventure and all those games on the Atari Flashback [it was on sale]
- Alchemy
- [I don't know if Neopets counts, as it's more an activity site than a "game" to win]

but mostly
- Qix :D
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Reiki

Post by Reiki »

Cave Story.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I am starving for playing MGS3. While waiting, I played through four Zelda games (WW, Ocarina, Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link)... I was going to start Majora's mask but I needed a break.

Meanwhile... I couldn't complete Gradius V under normal settings. I had to use a dozen continues and even switch lives number to five :oops:

I played Raiden DX but that one too is too much for me. I guess I don't get really motivated playing for score. However, after playing Raiden DX, I put up Zanac Neo again and did considerably better than ever (I scored seven millions)... But I'm disappointed 'cause I always get to the last boss' last incarnation, and then I die. :evil:

One I'd like to go through again is Einhänder... But I need to buy a Japanese one, since the US version has altered difficulty.

Oh, and yeah... I'm still stuck at Ikaruga's third boss.
X - P - B
zimeon

Post by zimeon »

Imperishable Night, Parsec 47, Berserk (PS2) and some Gran Turismo 3.
I'd love to finish Berserk so I can have a go at Metal Gear Solid 3...
Enthusiasm without skill
vek

Post by vek »

Devil May Cry and a bit of Capcom vs SNK.
Davey

Post by Davey »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:You want REAL hard? Then play Mars Matrix like in the arcade with only ONE button!!!
I'm probably just a weirdo, but I actually prefer playing Mars Matrix with one button.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

tryin to step up in

Guilty Gear x2
Psikyo Coll. 2
Men of Valor
Tetris worlds daily
World Championship Poker
NFL Streetz 2
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I had been playing Nightmare of Druaga for the last two weeks. Got 45 hours into it and up to Level 57. It's starting to bring me down now though, I still have hopes that it'll be the first RPG I've ever beaten.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Beatmania IIDX 7th and 8th Style, Score Soldier -Winter Festival 2004-.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Gradius Gaiden
I lifed right up to the walker sub-boss in level 9 before making a tragic tactical blunder and juking back up into one of its high-speed purple blasts. ARGH!

Ratchet & Clank 2
Going Commando, Locked & Loaded... whatever you wanna call it. I've been working on my Super Glitch Speed Run and hope to finally record it this weekend. I'm going for a sub 75 minute run at the moment.

Gradius V
Got my second joystick 2 days ago, so I started doing some Tandem Play practice last night. I hope to have video of level one in a week or two.

Gradius II
I'm determined to life this Gradius too. I still need to figure out a good patern for getting past the spider walker.
captain ahar

me

Post by captain ahar »

Gradius Gaiden
Metroid Zero Mission (Mother Brain is pissing me off!)
Mario DS
Oddworld Stranger
ESPgaluda
Strikers 1945 II
I have no sig whatsoever.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Gunbird 2(DC)- So far I'm up to 1-4 with that chick with the glasses
Battle Garrega(MAME)-Still getting my ass kicked
Ninja Gaiden(xbox)- I'm stuck on Alma
Toca 2(xbox)- Stuck on the first skyline race
Rallisport Challenge 2(xbox)-I just barely got to pro mode.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Right now I'm absorbed in Final Fantasy. I just got Dawn of Souls, and I've been playing through the first one. I'm liking it quite a lot, it plays a lot like the Dragon Warrior games I've played on the GBC, which I absolutely loved. I'm a little disappointed with my Red Mage, if I knew his magic abilities would suck so hard I would've just gotten a White Mage. I'm like 7 or 8 hours into it, everyone's at level 29 -- I'm pissed off because my Black Mage died in one battle, so now his experience is out of sync with everyone else -- and I just beat a Vampire, and now I gotta find some Giant to give a ruby to.

My new Saturn USB controller has sparked some renewed interest in my ABA games. Beaten a few new levels in rRootage, a few intense sessions in Noiz2sa, and last night I played Parsec 47 and it clicked a bit more than it had before.

I need to get back to play Paper Mario 2. I just got to the Moon.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Giga Wing (revisiting it with improved technique), Chaos Field (now that I've finally soured on KD), and I always play a little Ikaruga here and there...I think it may be my favorite game ever, but I've hit the wall and it kicks my sorry ass every time. I also play G Darius perennially, because it's my kid's favorite and I'm quite fond of it as well. Now that KD is out of the way, I don't have any non-shmups on the roster. I've had Metroid Prime 2 for about a month now, but I can't seem to get into the spirit of it like I did the first one.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmmm...as of the moment...

DDP DOJ (PS2): Just got it a day or two back, and am doing my best to get used to its sadistic challenge level...enjoying it very much regardless though.

Panzer Dragoon Saga (SAT): I finished it for the first time a short while back, and am currently going through it again to try and catch stuff I missed the first time...a great way to just sit back, relax and enjoy the journey, but too dang expensive...

DDR 3rd Mix (PS1): I try to play one version or another of DDR regularly for a bit of exercise...lately I've been working on this mix, since there's still songs I need to unlock on it.

I'll toss a few other games in on occasion, but those are my most regular plays for the time being...
OmegaFlareX

Re: What games are you currently playing?

Post by OmegaFlareX »

ArrogantBastard wrote:Breath of Fire - SNES (Good God, why didn't I play this almost ten years ago?)
I did, borrowed it from my cousin. It was decent game for its time. Hell, back then, almost ANY new RPG was welcome. I remember the bosses being really really tough. Like, they all had massive amounts of of HP and a tank-like defense against physical attacks. So after you spent all your MP on attack spells, you had to slowly whittle their HP down and pray you have enough healing items to last.

The thing I hate most about BoF (besides the random encounter rate which is really bad, too) is the crippling 5-character limit on all items. WtrJr? WTF, that's just lazy programming, from Square, no less (they did the US localization).
Skyline wrote:NES Pinball (...why?)
Because it's great. Sure, it's no Devil's Crush, but it has its own simple charm. I really hate how your flippers disappear after you score 100,000 points. That's fucking evil.
Kiken wrote:I still need to figure out a good patern for getting past the spider walker.
On Jigsaw's FTP, there's a video called "gradius gofter.avi". The player keeps on the right side of the spider, right in the middle. He doesn't go over or under it at all. He moves slightly up and down to follow the leg movements.

My own list:
GTA3 (PS2) - I just got a PS2 a month ago, so I finally got to play this game. It's awesome. I love it. I'm on the last story mission, but I'm nowhere near 100% completion.

Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA) - Nintendo made the right investment, hiring Capcom to do their portable Zeldas. The Oracle games rocked, and so does this one. I'm having a blast with it (as usual, I love Zelda games).

Shikigami 2 (PS2) - I'm sooooo glad I didn't pay $60 for the DC version. This one is just fine since it has tate. Sadly, I don't think I could compete for score unless I use Kohtaro, which is kind of cheap - just hold down the shot button and let his Shiki attack do all the work. Kudos to XS for giving this one a better presentation than MLF.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES, emu) - I'm not playing this so much as I am owning it. This is a tool-assisted speedrun, meaning I'm blazing through it as fast as I can, using savestates and frame advance to speed through menus, undo mistakes and manipulate the shit out of the battle system. I get critical hits whenever I want to, I manipulate which enemy attacks which ally with what attack, and I use the Heal spell as an attack for instant kills (casts random status effects on enemies, one of them being petrify :)). It's only a test run, and I won't submit it to the site until I make it as perfect as I can. I'm currently on World 3, fighting the boss in the Mine. The run is looking to be about 90 minutes once completed.

Linkage, if anyone wants to watch my WIP run - http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/forum/v ... .php?t=606
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

No shmups really...

Last week I was addicted to Devil May Cry. Yea, I even got to the point where I played it like an "old school" game and made it through without ever once dying. It took a little over 3 1/2 hours. (a lot longer to get good at it though)
A 1CC for DMC? Yea, pretty much.

Before that, it was Castlevania Lament of Innocence. ( I really got into it!)
Now I'm playing Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero, again, for the up-teenth time.
KataMari Damachi saw much play a few days ago.
I was also "hitting the greens" in Swing Away Golf.
system11

Post by system11 »

Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow (nightly usually)
Sonic Mega Collection Plus (unlocked Ristar :)
Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf
Psyvariar 2
Espgaluda
Battle Bakraid in the JAMMA cab
ArrogantBastard

Re: What games are you currently playing?

OmegaFlareX wrote:I remember the bosses being really really tough. Like, they all had massive amounts of of HP and a tank-like defense against physical attacks. So after you spent all your MP on attack spells, you had to slowly whittle their HP down and pray you have enough healing items to last.
I like that the bosses are tougher than the standard Final Fantasy bosses which enables you to use tons of magic to easily beat it. More challenging that way, and I really like that because most of the RPG games nowadays don't really hold my attention because of its lackluster combat challenges.
The thing I hate most about BoF (besides the random encounter rate which is really bad, too) is the crippling 5-character limit on all items. WtrJr? WTF, that's just lazy programming, from Square, no less (they did the US localization).
The random encounter rate doesn't bug me as much as Skies of Arcadia did, or Suikoden 4. (I watched a friend play it, and played it for about 10 minutes before saying 'fuck this' and handed the controller back to friend.) As for the items with 5-character limit, it's quite annoying because I don't even know what the hell some of those are and what they're supposed to do. I don't want to use the fucking'?' option to sift through hundred of items to find out just what the hell they do. Not only that, but the description they give aren't very damn helpful either.

At any rate, I'm loving this game so far desipte its shortcomings. It's a fantastic game.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - Via PC Kawaks online and Xbox Live

Lemmings - On xbox snes emulator, game is too addictive.