Streets of Rage Remake - final version is out

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stormwatch

Streets of Rage Remake - final version is out

Post by Stormwatch »

Fans: doing what must be done because Sega won't bother doing it.

Get it here.
Last edited by Stormwatch on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
drauch

Re: Streets of Rage Remake - final version is out

Post by drauch »

Blaze's bewbs certainly got huge.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Khan

Post by Khan »

I downloaded the previous release already, I still havent played it but this is definantly getting a good going over from me now that its no longer beta xD
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
rancor

Post by rancor »

WOW.. I need to go change my pants. I've never even heard of this. The first two were by far some of the most played games in my house back in the early days.. Thanks so much for sharing this!! :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wow... this sounds like the PS2 AGES 2500 Streets of Rage disc that should've been. Downloading it now.
EinhanderZwei

Post by EinhanderZwei »

HELL YEAH!!! Happy release, pals! :shock: :D
In an alternate universal, Soldier Blade II has already been crafted by Hudson Soft and Compile with proper tate this time around (c) PC Engine Fan X!
Sega tried and failed. Nintendo didn't even try. (c) Specineff
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Oh yeah! I downloaded this on Sunday night. Great fun. It seems like one big mash-up of all the SOR games into one. For example you can use the cop-bomb (from the original SOR) on almost all of the levels. Apparently they based many of the stages and enemies off of the game gear games and unused concept art. I've only scratched the surface of this game, it's big, but the music and graphics are all top notch. I love being able to play as a SOR character with all of the extra SOR3 moves on a SORGG stage. It's fucking cool!
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

8 years of dev time
19 playable characters
100+ levels

Yeah that's pretty epic.
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

so I didn't download the game yesterday, just went to do it now and sega has pulled the plug already. i knew this would happen.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Well, at least they finished before the plug got pulled. I'm sure the internet will see to it that this game is readily available :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Glad I grabbed it when I did. :lol:

Sega, pls get M2 to do Sega Ages 2500 Vol.34: Streets of Rage Complete Collection and I will bung u the cash first thing next Wednesday ^_~
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

What a bunch of massive douchebags if they got it pulled. Coming from the same company that repeatedly canned any hope of SOR4, it's pretty poor form given that all manner of fan releases of franchises have persisted for years. Funny that the first one to match the original is shut down!

So is Beats of Rage being left alone? Maybe Capcom will kick off after it finally realises Sega made three games ripping off Final Fight?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Maybe Capcom will kick off after it finally realises Sega made three games ripping off Final Fight?
They're only rip offs as much as every fighting game that followed Street Fighter II.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Streets of Rage is more of a Final Fight clone than any random fighting game is of Street Fighter II. Except Fighter's History.

In any event, whoever's responsible for pulling this project is an enormous asshole. I was never a Bare Knuckle fan, but this team has combined and reworked a few average brawlers into one great experience. I'm glad I downloaded it before this latest perversion of copyright, though I'm sure SoR-R will be spread regardless of anything Sega can do.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Maybe they were running out of bandwidth? Sega doesn't usually go after fangames. In any case, get it here.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Oh Streets of Rage is superior to Final Fight in every category but graphics. I remember the original magazine ad was just this page-filling collage of all the various moves you can pull off in this game. Compare this to Final Fight, whose depth ended at Haggar's jumping suplex.

I was under the impression that these guys already reached an understanding with Sega. Oh well, it's Space Hulk all over again.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Mischief Maker wrote:Oh Streets of Rage is superior to Final Fight in every category but graphics.
Agreed.

Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Bare Knuckle is about as much a ripoff of Final Fight as Final Fight is a ripoff of Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun or Double Dragon. This remake has crazy replayability and is excellent for a fan game but I still prefer the originals because they were meant to be completed in a brisk and timely manner.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Streets of Rage is superior to Final Fight in every category, including graphics. The character animations in FF look stiff and unnatural, and the neon backgrounds in SoR make it feel truly alive.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Final Fight was actually challenging, had better enemy layouts, more on-screen enemies, and a better infinite punch combo (harder to do and easier to get punished, unlike the ones in SOR which can be done all day.) It didn't have the moves of SOR2-3 but had better fundamentals of spacing and timing. Compared to SNES Final Fight 2-3 the SOR series was a masterpiece, since Genesis could handle more than THREE enemies.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

I don't like the silly graphic effects and some of the art choices, but there's no denying SORR is a class act. Good to see it finished.

I wonder if there are any other fangames that use the mash-up idea. I think that "Double Dragon Extreme" BOR mod does something similar, but it would be interesting to see the concept applied to other genres.
JoshF wrote:Compared to SNES Final Fight 2-3 the SOR series was a masterpiece, since Genesis could handle more than THREE enemies.
That's not true! In one very specific room, Final Fight 3 features four enemies! ahem.
Khan

Post by Khan »

SOR stamps on final fight all day everyday in every department, the bosses were more memorable the music was a masterpiece in 16bit gaming history and you actually had a tough time dealing with enemies at hard+ mode. Infact I remember playing mayhem difficulty and thinking this is how tough this game should be and man was it tough lol :mrgreen:

Plus the graphics were WAY better and and im not just talking animation but the sprites looked real nice.

The problem I had with final fight was that it seemed alot more repetitive and I do know this genre is renouned to be repititive in nature however FF just seemed to go on and on plus I actually liked playing as a kangaroo in sor3
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I definitely like Bare Knuckle better than Final Fight. Although I don't care much at all for the first one.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I definitely like Bare Knuckle better than Final Fight. Although I don't care much at all for the first one.
The first one has a vibe but is plenty rough around the edges. SOR2 is the defining game in the series: most variety in stage design, graphics, and the music is Koshiro's gaming magnum opus imo. The most climatic and engaging scrolling beater of them all.

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yeah, the second one is tops. I think the 3rd one is good, but I think the Western version of it puts a lot of people off with it's difficulty and other changes. It's actually quite fun. But II is the best one. However, the speed of 3 is really cool too.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Stormwatch wrote:Maybe they were running out of bandwidth? Sega doesn't usually go after fangames. In any case, get it here.
Thanks, Stormwatch.

If Sega went after SorR with a C&D, fuck them and may they go under. I thought the Tetris Company was lame but this takes the cake and eats it. Sega hasn't done much worth a damn lately other than After Burner Climax and Out Run 2, and Namco owns their ass at gun games. Sonic 4 was a huge ass disappointment. Let's hope Sega isn't planning on raping the SoR series in a like manner.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

A day late, but there's a little more news on what happened.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Mortificator wrote:A day late, but there's a little more news on what happened.
Comment 9 is a winner:
“However we need to protect our intellectual property rights”

Oh, yeah? But who is going to protect it from Sega?
Lol, too true.

It's not really 8 years wasted, the brief moment it was out is more than enough for the rom to start its inevitable path of internet recycling. Anyone who wants it won't have a hard time getting it.

TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The sad thing about this is that Sega were made aware when the project was started - why kick off now? Apart from the douchebag factor, of course.

More so, why would this release be any more damaging to their intellectual property than ROMs which have been doing the rounds for years? Sure, you can buy emulated originals through Steam apparently... so in terms of losses from sales there, how does this differ from ROMs which can be run in Fusion etc.?

Sega seem well aware of continuing support for Dreamcast, but don't care. Funny that they should kick off over this when they've shown no signs of doing anything with the SOR franchise for many many years - and when SOR4 was touted, they didn't care enough to continue with the project.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Companies only act on business decisions. If Sega pulled the plug, a remake may already be in the works. They're protecting future dollars.

I mean, you'd hope so...