shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:58 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:04 pm 

Dawn111 wrote:
The new YouTube Studio is too inconvenient in my personal opinion. I can't upload multiple YouTube videos at a time, and
I'm way too used to the Classic YouTube Studio, which unfortunately has been permanently removed for no logical reason.
I'm also annoyed with the constant YouTube ads whenever I'm trying to watch the videos, particularly the Grammarly ads.
It doesn't help that their videos have disabled YouTube comments, so they won't listen to the criticism people would give.

It's really annoying how websites in general change for no good reason. Also download uBlock Origin or something similar asap and never look back.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:37 am 

Games that keep the playtime counter going while paused. Like Bloodstained: ROTN Image

https://youtu.be/2dwWDn3MzyU?t=12

I don't care much - if I did, I'd just save and quit - but I do like to have a sense of a game's first-run pacing. Ah well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:59 pm 

I heard from someone that pausing the game in the classic PS1 Resident Evil games does not pause the in-game timer... until you unplug the controller which does cause the timer to stop. Haven't tested to confirm it myself but that'd be weird design if true.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:10 pm 

It's weird to me that TIE Fighter required a joystick when the likes of Microsoft Flight Simulator and Falcon 3.0 were fully playable with the keyboard.

Even Flight Simulator 2020 can be played with the keyboard. It's not an optimal input method by any means, but it's there.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:28 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
It's weird to me that TIE Fighter required a joystick

The original version has mouse/keyboard support. It was removed for rereleases for some bone-headed reason or most likely apathy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm 

BIL wrote:
^ I've half-jokingly called the Ecco MD games "scrolling survival horror action," though after your description of Wrath of Earth, that's pretty much the category I'd put them in - action games with persistent resource management and high atmospheric tension. You're often navigating dark, claustrophobic passages, with air pockets not immediately apparent. And while Ecco is agile and can defend himself, there's a subtle aquatic resistance on his cinematic movement, with enemies liable to dive in from any direction. It makes certain areas (like Ecco 1's muddy prehistoric ocean) pretty nervy.

I just wish they'd put a few really terrifying, evade-or-else beasts in there... the dunkleosteuses are basically sprite-swaps of the modern-day sharks, I wanted a godawful schoolbus-sized titan to skirt around. The most massive creature you encounter is a friendly blue whale, who's still pretty imposing.

It's also one of the few sidescrollers I've played where a tight camera viewpoint isn't merely an irritating flaw, but a credible source of tension. Critically, it's not too tight (Rockman Zero - now there's a camera to horrify), and Ecco stays anchored to the screen center at all times, unlike tattier would-be 2D horror action like Alien 3 (MD).

Even wide-open, sunny waters can be unnerving as a result, with sharks prowling about. Been meaning to pick up the first game's Mega CD version, the JP cart gets wanged with an inexplicably god-awful new BGM for one of my favourite stages, the rush through shark-infested waters to the arctic sea.

Open waters is always super scary to me in video games. I was too scared to even approach the Orca as a kid in 1992, never allowing me to find out that it was actually a friend.
That stage that opens up with you stranded square in the center of the ocean in Tomb Raider 2 with no land in sight, and nowhere to go except down, left me scared as fuck at the time. Man, I wonder if that game is really as good as I remember it, it might be time to re-experience it.
Did anyone ever made a super open underwater horror game? Could be 3D, but something like Ecco could be super interesting IMO.
Reminds me that I still need to play Subnautica.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:41 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Could be 3D, but something like Ecco could be super interesting IMO.
Reminds me that I still need to play Subnautica.

Narcosis fits the bill I think of what you're looking for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:04 pm 

Vanguard wrote:
Dawn111 wrote:
The new YouTube Studio is too inconvenient in my personal opinion. I can't upload multiple YouTube videos at a time, and
I'm way too used to the Classic YouTube Studio, which unfortunately has been permanently removed for no logical reason.
I'm also annoyed with the constant YouTube ads whenever I'm trying to watch the videos, particularly the Grammarly ads.
It doesn't help that their videos have disabled YouTube comments, so they won't listen to the criticism people would give.

It's really annoying how websites in general change for no good reason. Also download uBlock Origin or something similar asap and never look back.

Yes, I have uBlock Origin on my Google Chrome. It's a useful tool to block stuff that would pop up onto my laptop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:57 am 

Dawn111 wrote:
Yes, I have uBlock Origin on my Google Chrome. It's a useful tool to block stuff that would pop up onto my laptop.

uBO stops all of youtube's ads on my machine. Maybe it's worse on chrome. Or do you mean ads inside the videos themselves? Sponsorblock is a good solution to those.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:01 am 

YouTube in general has been going downhill. For example spit out one single "fuck" word and congrats you will be demonetized no matter if your videos are M-rated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:11 am 

That sounds very unlikely to me. Any source for that claim?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:58 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWAdzMmNLy0

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:40 am 

The flesh fang in modern anime-styled art. It's just deeply unsettling.
I already didn't like the actual tooth fang that shows up in a few pictures, and this retroactively makes that seem much better because it's not like something terrible happened to their mouth, it's just kinda dumb looking to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:44 am 

flesh fangs are indeed gross, and unnatural

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:30 am 

Every anime girl with flesh fangs is secretly a Wobbuffet.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 am 

I hate that I now know about this concept -_-

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:11 am 

I was about to make the BIG funny in the hot take thread...
BUT THAT SHIT GOT LOCKED!
I'm so irate, why I could just hoot and holler! :x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:28 am 

null1024 wrote:
The flesh fang in modern anime-styled art. It's just deeply unsettling.
I already didn't like the actual tooth fang that shows up in a few pictures, and this retroactively makes that seem much better because it's not like something terrible happened to their mouth, it's just kinda dumb looking to me.

I do like the actual tooth fang from some of the anime characters, but I agree that I am not a fan of disgusting flesh fangs.
I'm a fan of characters like Astolfo and Aoi Inuyama, but their "fangs" look like they're part of their skins, not actual teeth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:40 pm 

So,.Google finds zero days in Chrome a couple weeks back and almost simultaneously starts lecturing Microsoft about fast patches on desktop--involving another issue that was identified in Win10 and used in conjunction.

Then, Google mysteriously pops up today with the Android version of the problem and a solution. How neat and tidy is that? :) Of course, when it's Google, we don't release the information until it's patched. That's "different".

Seems like telling the press immediately would motivate and embarrass Google engineers into patching faster. Let's do that! That's how they handle the rest of us.

Yeah. Double standard. They need to hold themselves to the same standards that apply to everyone else. This Android zero day has been around for weeks and they knew it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:51 am 

My family decided to get a fridge that for whatever reason, tends towards keeping the door open instead of closed.
I have absolutely zero idea why anyone would design a fridge like this. It's just baffling.

If no one is holding the door open, it makes sense for the door to swing shut to keep the cold air in, but for whatever reason, they decided that such a thing made too much sense, and explicitly made the doors bounce back open a bit unless explicitly shut.
Flatly baffling design.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:42 am 

null1024 wrote:
My family decided to get a fridge that for whatever reason, tends towards keeping the door open instead of closed.

That sounds pretty annoying. I really prefer the non-biased fridge doors. You close or open when I want you to if your my fridge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:15 pm 

Emulation development on Raspbian being effectively dead outside of RetroPie. Damn libretro and their shitty frontend that falls apart if you look at it the wrong way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:30 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Emulation development on Raspbian being effectively dead outside of RetroPie. Damn libretro and their shitty frontend that falls apart if you look at it the wrong way.

I am personally irked by this as well. I *very* much dislike retropie. I believed in Lakka for a little while, but it's not kept up-to-date and they omit many cores in the default builds.

My recommendation to you is to compile vanialla retroacrch for armf architechture on Raspberry Pi OS. It's actually not bad to use and it's solid on my Pi4.

If you haven't done this and are curious, read this and the comments section. It was written for the Pi3 and things have changed since then which is addressed in the comments.
https://gist.github.com/AlexMax/32e5d03 ... ea75736805

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:50 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
It's weird to me that TIE Fighter required a joystick when the likes of Microsoft Flight Simulator and Falcon 3.0 were fully playable with the keyboard.

Even Flight Simulator 2020 can be played with the keyboard. It's not an optimal input method by any means, but it's there.

It's only the Win 95 version that does this. The X-Wing remake does this too. The original versions of the games, as well as the DOS CD versions, are fully playable with the keyboard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:26 pm 

As far as I can tell, X-wing does allow you to control pitch and yaw with the arrow keys and fire with Enter, but it's so slow as to be effectively unusable, which is consistent with what others have stated on the subject:

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwi ... _lag_xwing
https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie ... e_keyboard

TIE Fighter, surprisingly enough, actually lets you control roll with the Left and Right arrow keys, though it doesn't appear to let you fire your weapon or steer in any other manner.

Maybe I should just get a stick... or play Wing Commander...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:11 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
As far as I can tell, X-wing does allow you to control pitch and yaw with the arrow keys and fire with Enter, but it's so slow as to be effectively unusable, which is consistent with what others have stated on the subject:

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwi ... _lag_xwing
https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie ... e_keyboard

TIE Fighter, surprisingly enough, actually lets you control roll with the Left and Right arrow keys, though it doesn't appear to let you fire your weapon or steer in any other manner.

Maybe I should just get a stick... or play Wing Commander...

I can't imagine playing with an analog pad would be any worse than playing a flight sim with the keyboard.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:15 am 

What's funny is that since the last time this subject came up, all of my options have gone out of stock except for the CH Products stick. I guess quality is what lasts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:20 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:

So, I don't know if this is or isn't obvious, but I believe that the point was to play with the mouse in combination with the keyboard. Like you would WASD or use the arrow controls at the same time as the mouse with fire controls and look. It's been a very long time. I literally haven't played it since it was released.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:03 am 

Throttle and most of the other controls needed to play the game are on the keyboard, so it is obvious, haha. My point is that many other flight sims from this time period (Falcon, Wing Commander, Fleet Defender, Longbow 2, and Microsoft Flight Simulator, to name a few) offer keyboard-only control in addition to mouse and joystick support, while X-Wing and TIE Fighter do not.

Rolling in TIE Fighter is so much more responsive with the mouse that I can't imagine why anyone would even want to do it with the keyboard. The fact that you can isn't even listed in the manual.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:20 am 

I guess this isnt quite a "little" thing but it's not a big thing either. I'm just so bored right now. For months. For obvious reasons if you live state side.

I go to my labor intensive dead end job. Come home, pass out. Seemingly wake up at work. Do that for 5 days.
Weekend hits. I try to draw...something. Make the same stale crap. Go to bed. And then its Monday.

Can't visit people for safety reasons. Same news cycle. Trump. Covid. Trump. Covid. Trump. Covid.
Internet is so sterile, corporate, and homogenized today.

Man I'm fucking bored. One of you dance for me or sonething. :[

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327  Next