shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:44 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9828 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:31 pm 

I know that in the case of Dracula II, the scrolling speed was set with Japanese in mind. So lazy localizers are the ones to blame.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:29 pm 

How the Marvel website is a terrible place to look for information about marvel comic characters and release history.

It's always been terrible, but when Disney took over, instead of fixing the site, they just slapped the movie actors faces all over everything on the same turd of a website.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:42 pm 

BIL wrote:
Games that s l o w l y scroll messages, particularly information on items in menus, etc.

Spoiler: show
P

u

l

l

S

t

a

r

t

V

i

b

r

a

t

o

r

-

A

n

A

n

c

i

e

n

t

w

e

a

p

o

n

o

f

t

h

e

B

u

l

l

D

y

k

e

C

l

a

n

k

n

o

w

n

t

o

i

n

j

u

r

e

f

o

o

l

h

a

r

d

y

w

i

e

l

d

e

r

s

^^^ THATS HOW IT MAKE ME FEEL >W< I can read a fuck sight quicker than these godless animal cunts allow :shock:

I'll express my barely-containable first world rage via the universal medium of Corrado Soprano as portrayed by Dom Chianese. Image

If it's done for style reasons and the information being scrolled isn't actually that important, I'm fine with it.
but otherwise, yeah, it's balls

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:12 am 

l i t t l e m o n e y is my favorite instance of this horrible issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 am 

null1024 wrote:
If it's done for style reasons and the information being scrolled isn't actually that important, I'm fine with it.
but otherwise, yeah, it's balls

By the same token, unskippable beginning scenes are always annoying. I know the story! I'm just playing the game again!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:18 am 

trap15 wrote:

lol what the hell

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:46 am 

trap15 wrote:

Jesus :shock: :lol:

The Theme of Little Money :cool:

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:55 pm 

On the topic of scrolling text and opening sequences (and little annoying things), you know about Twin Goddesses right?

If not then, enjoy the cringe :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:37 pm 

Hype.

Julia is marvelous, but the "just as fast as C++" thing is still rather misleading. First, people tout all the quality of life features it inherits from scripting. Next, they throw out these performance claims with no qualifiers.

Yes. As the author abandons the features of Julia and accepts more and more C++ inconvenience, the code gets faster. Probably should mention that you're using a corked bat. If I have to resist the temptation to use the features, it's a pretty big caveat.
https://flow.byu.edu/posts/julia-c++

Still a better tool than C++ for crunching numbers. I just hate the "Easy as Python and fast as C++" bullshit that everyone is spewing. That isn't really true and how could it be? You can't have both.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:25 pm 

People who let the water run with no need when doing the dishes or washing their hands. As in, turn on the tap and wet their hands quickly, then apply soap AWAY FROM THE WATER WHILE IT'S GOING STRAIGHT INTO THE DRAIN AND THEY TAKE FOREVER LATHERING THEIR HANDS AND WASTING PERFECTLY CLEAN WATER, then they rinse and turn off the tap.

An in-law of mine has the habit of letting the water run while she's wiping the stove and counters, because she needs to rinse the rag or her hands from time to time. HOW ABOUT TURNING OFF THE TAP WHEN YOU DON'T NEED TO WET OR RINSE SOMETHING, YOU... YOU... NIMRODS????!!!! :evil:

Be a chump,
donate to Trump!
See ya' later,
Filthy Traitor!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:34 pm 

People who insist on playing a game drunk, then bitching about how much the game sucks when they're failing because they've simply forgotten basic mechanics they were taught earlier.

Bayonetta, Chapter 3: flaming enemies show up that hurt you if you use basic melee hits on them outside of Witch Time after a dodge. Player insists on running up and repeatedly getting himself hurt by attempting to punch them and failing, claims terrible game mechanics, game isn't worth the $5 he paid, the game's too slow to respond to his dodges, etc. Also keeps stepping in the lava instead of going somewhere there's not lava. All this instead of:

a) Mash the fucking X button and gun them from afar.

b) Hold punch or kick buttons to shoot at them with combos from afar.

d) Rotate the analog stick 360 degrees and press punch or kick to again, shoot at them from afar.

There's more ways such as not sucking at dodging to deal with them, but there's at least 3 basic ways to fight them without needing perfect dodging the game explicitly tutorials you on at the start that he's not even attempting. FFS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:13 pm 

The 238 cinematic trailers I need to scroll past before getting to some actual fucking screenshots at your game store of choice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:50 am 

kane wrote:
The 238 cinematic trailers I need to scroll past before getting to some actual fucking screenshots at your game store of choice.

I hate that. For me, it's just as bad going to Netflix and having the full volume video playing while I'm trying to think of something to watch.

I seriously wish they would let us do an alphabetic list of all shows. Also on Steam like the OG interface used to have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 am 

Trying to drink PG Tips when you're used to Yorkshire.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 am 

So Sony just sent me a nice eMail telling me they're changing the Playstation store. They're removing the ability to buy PS3/PSP/Vita games, you can still buy them on the game console or handheld itself. But what's pissing me off is they're removing the wishlist. Seriously? I was using that! I just bought something off it two days ago! Buncha ijits!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 am 

If you've ever owned a PS3 or PS4, you should know by now that user friendliness isn't Sony's priority.

Thanks for the warning though, I didn't get that mail, so I'll go in right now to note down everything I got on my wishlist.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:49 pm 

The entire .co. domain. Who in the hell thought that was a good idea?

Visits are almost due to a typo. Why even have it? I have to block it outright, so nobody on the network can visit those sites, anyhow. It has no practical use outside of spreading badware.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:24 am 

I wasted a huge chunk of time trying to figure out why games were stuttering horribly despite having recorded just fine previously in OBS. It seems that when using Game Capture I have to make sure "Limit Capture Framerate" is checked off otherwise weird stuff occurs, such as DXX-Rebirth dropping to 31 FPS, or DOSBox stuttering like crazy. Maybe I accidentally unchecked it at some point and never realized? But I thought I had to resort to Windows Capture for everything since then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:39 am 

Apparently people think Bloodborne is a survival horror game. WTF.

Reading game opinions on other sites really does make me appreciate this forum even more tbh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:06 am 

Definitely fruit flies. Those pesky motherfuckers annoy me to no end, and I had to put away the food and drink to make them go away.
Also, the guys who "gave" me the rap CD outside of Anime Expo charge me for $20. I told them "Sorry, I don't have money on me now."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:42 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:

At best you could call it a horror/occult-themed action game. It's way too action-oriented to be survival horror, though, especially since dying is so expected that it becomes merely another obstacle, rather than a threat that's a source of tension.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:51 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:

At best you could call it a horror/occult-themed action game. It's way too action-oriented to be survival horror, though, especially since dying is so expected that it becomes merely another obstacle, rather than a threat that's a source of tension.

I made a reply pointing out that it doesn't have survival horror elements and also referenced Kuon since it was the same dev and to play/look at footage from both games to compare and contrast if they were still wondering.

The reply I got? Here's a random clickbait article about "hard" survival horror games that includes BB. Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:31 pm 

As far as I'm concerned, Survival Horror is defined by 1)thematic elements and 2)limited resources characterized by a general inability to kill off every enemy you encounter (or nearly so). For me, it ideally includes an optional story to follow and adventure game puzzles.

But people will categorize anything as anything and defend it till the cows come home. Reminds of many "is it punk" arguments I had in the past.

It's actually pretty interesting to me how persistent genres are in video games. In music, specific genres are typically tied to a specific place at a specific time. "New Wave," for example, is only meaningful in the context of pop rock bands in the late 70's-early 80's that began to incorporate electronic instruments as accents to or as replacements for existing traditional rock instruments. In any other context, you can only say that music is New Wave-like, or exhibits the qualities of New Wave.

Games take such a long time to complete and can involve so many people from so many different places that the genres are less tied to time and place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:47 pm 

Yeah, there's a lot of games which can evoke a sense of horror, dread, tension, but aren't designed around actual survival horror style gameplay. Survival horror games classically involve a player character who absolutely is not a one-man army, is not generally capable of feats of insane agility, etc.

The original Doom for instance, is a game that is heavily horror and gore themed, but it is definitely not a survival horror game. It's a first person shooter that simply has horror elements such as terrifyingly dark passageways and such.

Wrath of Earth also hits some similar survival horror vibes without being an actual survival horror game; it's an MS-DOS era FPS where you're exploring planets and trying to stop an alien invasion that's invaded and enslaved human colonies. Your suit's solar powered and comes with shoulder mounted plasma cannons and missile packs, but you really don't have much actual health. Unless you're playing on Easy mode, where you are a damage sponge, your shielding drops very rapidly. 4 hits from early game enemies can ruin your shields, melee enemies are slow and easily evaded but can do about 1/2 shield damage. And, when shields are low, attacks often damage your systems, including your HUD. Suddenly losing power to your weapon systems and having all your meters and HUD go totally blank because you took a strong hit is pretty terrifying and demands an immediate retreat to a light source or energy packs to let your suit repair. It's especially scary when you're in a dimly lit environment with no light source to recharge from, hoping you can find batteries to recharge your suit. Worse, if you're stuck somewhere like the dark side of a cold planet where the temperature is low enough to constantly damage you, you're desperately running collecting batteries in the hope of finding shelter. It's not a survival horror game, but your relative fragility coupled with the added danger of being in extreme temperature zones or dark areas where you can't rely on your autorecovery systems is a very real source of tension.

A real example of a game that could claim to be a survival horror game whilst straddling other genres like adventure games is the first Ecstatica game. It uses gore, jump scares, limited carrying capacity (one item in each hand), no visible player health or HUD (damage is indicated by if you're limping), has an early persistent enemy that will chase you relentlessly and requires hiding from to evade (technically killable but its health is absolutely ridiculous). It also has some nasty elements such as instadeath traps, and some black comedy humour. The setting's supposed to be medieval age fantasy though, not a traditional setting for a survival horror game, and the art style is unusual and unique enough that it may feel more wacky than truly scary and tense for people.

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:40 pm 

^ I've half-jokingly called the Ecco MD games "scrolling survival horror action," though after your description of Wrath of Earth, that's pretty much the category I'd put them in - action games with persistent resource management and high atmospheric tension. You're often navigating dark, claustrophobic passages, with air pockets not immediately apparent. And while Ecco is agile and can defend himself, there's a subtle aquatic resistance on his cinematic movement, with enemies liable to dive in from any direction. It makes certain areas (like Ecco 1's muddy prehistoric ocean) pretty nervy.

I just wish they'd put a few really terrifying, evade-or-else beasts in there... the dunkleosteuses are basically sprite-swaps of the modern-day sharks, I wanted a godawful schoolbus-sized titan to skirt around. The most massive creature you encounter is a friendly blue whale, who's still pretty imposing.

It's also one of the few sidescrollers I've played where a tight camera viewpoint isn't merely an irritating flaw, but a credible source of tension. Critically, it's not too tight (Rockman Zero - now there's a camera to horrify), and Ecco stays anchored to the screen center at all times, unlike tattier would-be 2D horror action like Alien 3 (MD).

Even wide-open, sunny waters can be unnerving as a result, with sharks prowling about. Been meaning to pick up the first game's Mega CD version, the JP cart gets wanged with an inexplicably god-awful new BGM for one of my favourite stages, the rush through shark-infested waters to the arctic sea.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:05 pm 

I totally understand that Ecco comparison. It's not a conventional survival horror game, but it's such a unique game that it's difficult to categorize. Those areas that are dark and cramped, with your air running out, definitely hit a similar note of tensions that more modern survival horror aims for.

You could probably compile a huge list of horror themed games that really can't be considered survival horror games in the traditional sense. Hunter: The Reckoning is another horror action game (akin to Gauntlet) that I'd put on such a list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:34 pm 

Aye, this one really nips me in the tits. Survivor horror gets thrown around to anything horror themed. Fuckin' Typing of the Dead is even survival horror on ye olde wikipedia.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 pm 

drauch wrote:
Fuckin' Typing of the Dead is even survival horror on ye olde wikipedia.

Well, at least that has the comparison of the RE survivor games. I think the light gun RE games confused some of the mentally challenged gaming journalists, and Typing of the Dead is also a light gun game with Zombies, basically.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:42 am 

The new PSN store went live. Actually reminds me of the current Xbox front page. If you're asking if that's a good thing, no it isn't. lol

Looks like a toddler's version of the old site.

Also, if you're looking for a good PSN/Wishlist replacement, I'd reccomend this site: https://psdeals.net

It doesn't require a connection with your PSN account at all. You just create a new account on their site and make your wishlist there. Even gives you alerts when prices drop on games you're watching (optional).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:43 am 

The new YouTube Studio is too inconvenient in my personal opinion. I can't upload multiple YouTube videos at a time, and
I'm way too used to the Classic YouTube Studio, which unfortunately has been permanently removed for no logical reason.
I'm also annoyed with the constant YouTube ads whenever I'm trying to watch the videos, particularly the Grammarly ads.
It doesn't help that their videos have disabled YouTube comments, so they won't listen to the criticism people would give.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9828 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328  Next