Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by BIL »

I would upload the unedited footage, particularly if the transition is something that can be reproduced easily. Editing is just going to complicate matters, and give ammo to witchfinder general sorts.

Also, I'm a rank amateur at AV analysis, but shouldn't there be a consistent level of noise during the windowed-to-fullscreen transition? If that's the case, it'd be better to leave the file intact, rather than cut it and create a false positive.

Not that the internet's proof-finding standards are all that high to begin with. :lol: But it'd surely help with non-morons.
Last edited by BIL on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, I think that's what I'm leaning towards too. It's not like a 15 minute pause or something where I needed a food/bathroom break that merits editing out a lengthy pause (hello 3 loop SideLine run x_X), and frankly enough people have seen me play it live and have seen the many failed attempts and successes on the road to GITTIN GUD to know I've worked my butt off for these Pure Platinums.
No kidding. And the people doing the finger pointing are often rarely willing to admit they could be wrongly seeing a false positive which is all too easy to do. The cringey comments on the Contra video though, ugh, half the commenters claiming "X IS FAKE" could have easily tested for themselves before commenting to see that no, no invulnerability shenanigans are needed to pull off any of that.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Yeah, I think that's what I'm leaning towards too. It's not like a 15 minute pause or something where I needed a food/bathroom break that merits editing out a lengthy pause (hello 3 loop SideLine run x_X), and frankly enough people have seen me play it live and have seen the many failed attempts and successes on the road to GITTIN GUD to know I've worked my butt off for these Pure Platinums.
I would dunk on any youtube bitch commentors for ya. We know it's legit.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Blinge wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote: ...and the wonder machine keeps on posting his thoughtful insights.

Now, about Radical Feminism: let's hear your amazing arguments for it, Blinge. Astound us if you dare :) A chimp can post memes, my dear - it ain't difficult :)
Blinge wrote: Personally I doubt a chimp could post memes.
You are handling it fine, my dear.
Blinge wrote: why would you try n' push me into defending radical feminism? Something I don't speak for and isn't my fight :roll:
You felt the need to reply and had nothing to say - all talk and no trousers are you? You invited yourself :D . In common parlance that would come under the title of jerk. If you have something to say, then go ahead. By answering when you have nothing to say you're telling me that you haven't got anything and in-turn feel the need to hide behind Memes and lifted, copy-pasted one-liners like some kind of big girl's handbag - you still living with your parents are you? Let's aim a little higher and not act like the village idiot, Blinge - you can do just a little bit better, I have faith in you.
MintyTheCat wrote:Educate yourself
Blinge wrote: take yer own meds
Original, keep it up, and just for once impress me with something novel, interesting and original. Our great nation was built on wit, try just a little harder and don'T let the British down, Blinge :lol:
More Bromances = safer people
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Take your meds Minty, kthx
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

MintyTheCat wrote:words words words
tl;dr lolol
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The new default photo viewing program in Windows 10, "Photos", is the most astonishingly inept program I've seen compared to "Windows Photo Viewer", the default in Windows 7. The worst case of fixing a problem that did not exist, by introducing an array of disconcerting problems:

• Opening transparent PNGs immediately causes it to flatten them with an absolutely horrendous flattening algorithm, even when you're just browsing photos. Presumably so the program is ready apply its built in cropping/filtering/doodling functions. Why it doesn't wait to do this until you actually use those is beyond me.

• You can't zoom in far enough so see individual pixels. There's an arbitrary zoom limit that prevents you from zooming in on pixel-level details.

• It's noticeably slower than Windows Photo Viewer.

I had a machine upgrade from 7 to 10, and making sure PNGs and JPGs open by default with Windows Photo Viewer instead of the terrible new program removed a massive headache from my life.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

yeah, i didn't like that Photos app at all when I tried Win10
especially when Win10 would update and somehow break the Photos app and I'd have to go redownload/install it lol

about pixels... in earlier versions of the program you couldn't even take off the filtering while zooming, so viewing pixel art was literally 100% moot with that program

on the upside, it made me seek out other image viewers and hey IfranViewer is pretty good lol
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I highly recommend Nomacs viewlounge for desktop Win10 photo viewer! allows for optional geographical data tags that transport you to Google Map, option of a sharpening filter, notes etc all directly on the photo
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
null1024

Post by null1024 »

The last time I was okay with the default image viewer in Windows was back when I was still on Windows XP.
These days, I use JPEGView. Some of the default config kinda sucks [not too hard to fix], but it's lean, gets the hell out of the way, and just works. It's fast too.

I tried Irfanview for a while, but it screwed up kinda badly on a lot of GIF files. Weird colors showing up, parts of the animation not being updated properly, etc.
JPEGView has one issue with GIFs, where a very small handful will run too fast because the GIF author didn't properly set the speed, and unlike a web browser, JPEGView won't just force a large delay.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Autocorrect always adding an apostrophe to "its" when I'm trying to use the possessive form.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

This thread from r/shmups is locked because someone mentions name of emulator what the fuck. The rules are too much too, you can't even mention things like MAME or save state practice. By logic, discussing shmups on mini consoles is prohibited because mini consoles are basically emulator in a box. This mod also looks like a dumbass too, criticize him and you'll get perma ban.

There goes another reason why why shmups community is unpopular.
Steamflogger Boss

copy-paster wrote:This thread from r/shmups is locked because someone mentions name of emulator what the fuck. The rules are too much too, you can't even mention things like MAME or save state practice. By logic, discussing shmups on mini consoles is prohibited because mini consoles are basically emulator in a box. This mod also looks like a dumbass too, criticize him and you'll get perma ban.

There goes another reason why why shmups community is unpopular.
But like fucking why. Reddit continues to be complete trash. I'd say direct people here but that's probably a bannable offense too.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Prales

Post by Prales »

Last edited by Prales on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

*popcorn eating gif*
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

FinalBaton wrote:*popcorn eating gif*
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Didn't that mod just mention emulation in his reply? :)
We apologise for the inconvenience
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I'm not lactose intolerant, but I'm sick and tired of people slathering Mexican food in sour cream. There are some of us who don't want our food looking like someone rubbed one off on it, you know?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like sour cream, but I don't order it at chipotle because it's usually very cold to the point of making the rest of the burrito cold.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Blinge wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:words words words
tl;dr lolol
I thought so: clueless.

If you have nothing to say then don't bother quoting, a simple system, works well for most.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

trap15 wrote:Take your meds Minty, kthx
I've always loved you, Trap.

That manly, deep voice of yours, that well toned physique of yours. A testosterone volcano such as yourself - who could ever turn you down?
And those one-liners, that depth of wit and awareness, who could resist?

Lots of love, Minty XXX.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

This doesn't sound like meds being taken.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow, some times it's clear as day why this forum has such a bad rep.
It's really too bad, because I love it here.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Who's talkin' trash on our beloved forum? Lemme at 'em.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

itch.io is doing a huge charity bundle right now. They auto-filled $10 into the amount and I attempted to change it to $5. Then I get the receipt and it said I paid $100.05.

GODDAMNIT!!!

(Waiting on itch.io support for a refund, fingers-crossed)
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

if all else fails, you can brag about how u gave the big bux to charity like a chad :V
null1024

Post by null1024 »

multi-column format in PDF files
I can't stand it. It's absolutely fucking terrible. I'm reading this on a god damn screen. A wide screen.
Don't make me scroll up and down and up and down.

I'm incredibly curious as to how many people read papers on literal paper these days, anyway.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

null1024 wrote:multi-column format in PDF files
I can't stand it. It's absolutely fucking terrible. I'm reading this on a god damn screen. A wide screen.
Don't make me scroll up and down and up and down.

I'm incredibly curious as to how many people read papers on literal paper these days, anyway.
Multi-column papers are still a standard in certain research fields, for instance: computer science esp. conference proceedings, experimental psychology, computational linguistics esp. proceedings.

They are a standard mostly because many moons ago they allowed publishers to save space and paper (a short 2-page, double/multi-column paper can present a nice, neat and simple experiment+references). They are somehow readable on IPads, and a nightmare to trawl through on any other device.

Why people still use the format? "Tradition, maybe even just nostalgia", I was told once (or: publishers cannot be bothered to adapt to other formats). I had my most Picard-esque facepalm moment ever, there and then.

Let me not even start on double space and flushed left formatting, a left-over of the typewriter era...
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Hey as a reminder, this topic is little things that annoy the hell out of you. Not do little things to annoy the hell out of people.