shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 9:48 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:40 am 

FOV sliders are a sin. How can someone look at what's supposed to be a 90-degree angle and not get a dissonance from it not looking right? How can people move and turn rapidly in fish-eye mode without getting dizzy? Excuses about it allowing you to "see more" are just nonsense. Worst of all, they now put this crap into retro-style FPSes and new ports of old ones. If I could put dislikes on Twitch streams that mess with it I certainly would 'cause I've seen way too many of those already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:27 am 

CyberAngel wrote:
FOV sliders are a sin. How can someone look at what's supposed to be a 90-degree angle and not get a dissonance from it not looking right? How can people move and turn rapidly in fish-eye mode without getting dizzy? Excuses about it allowing you to "see more" are just nonsense. Worst of all, they now put this crap into retro-style FPSes and new ports of old ones. If I could put dislikes on Twitch streams that mess with it I certainly would 'cause I've seen way too many of those already.

You can outright see more with high FOV, and I've heard of people considering crazy stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOJ3yCK8pI, but one major use for FOV adjustment is to compensate for the actual field of view you should be seeing based on your position and monitor size.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:13 am 

I needed to slightly increase field of view on Doom Eternal (amongst other settings) to alleviate motion sickness.

But yeah, individual choice for people really sucks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:40 am 

I understand needing adjustments depending on setup, but I've seen people playing with FOV that would only make sense for VR. Whatever the case, you still gotta take into account how viewers will see it when you're streaming. And looking at some streams like that makes me physically ill within seconds.

EDIT: On a different note, Firefox updated their address bar... by making its functionality straight up WORSE. What's with the big internet corps and shooting-themselves-in-the-foot style "improvements"...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:42 am 

Oh man. I dropped Firefox years ago. It has been in a constant race to make things worse.
I only use it on my phone because it supports addons.

On an unrelated note, I saw a phishing message in my inbox this evening with an ancient password of mine.
Was kinda worried for a second until I started thinking of what services I used that password on [nothing I've cared about in the last 10 years]. :lol:
Googling the old password brought up a list of passwords on an ftp site [no usernames or anything like that], so it was clearly leaked in some breach or another.

really would have been pretty bad ten years ago though, I'd have been in a mad scramble to change everything

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:24 pm 

Check out haveibeenpwned.com. Enter in that bad boy and see what all it's on!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02 am 

Oh yeah. Was almost certainly like the LinkedIn leak that did me in there.
Kinda surprised I didn't see that account vandalized or something, lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:07 am 

null1024 wrote:
Oh man. I dropped Firefox years ago. It has been in a constant race to make things worse.
I only use it on my phone because it supports addons.

On an unrelated note, I saw a phishing message in my inbox this evening with an ancient password of mine.
Was kinda worried for a second until I started thinking of what services I used that password on [nothing I've cared about in the last 10 years]. :lol:
Googling the old password brought up a list of passwords on an ftp site [no usernames or anything like that], so it was clearly leaked in some breach or another.

really would have been pretty bad ten years ago though, I'd have been in a mad scramble to change everything

Yeah i just saw the same thing and I guess mine was threatening to "expose my life to everyone and make my life miserable" lol! I've already had a discussion about this with work and we'll turn over anything we get to the authorities if the dipshit tries to follow thru on any threats.

Old passwords are good for probably a year or two, then you should update. Still this is dumb that you'd expect site owners to button up security enough not to take a breach or two.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:35 am 

Hm, turns out I was PWNED a while back, SEVERAL TIMES :shock: So I had a look in me spam hoping for a similarly extortive threat, perhaps to expose my shameful youth downloading Castlevania OSTs. Little did I know FORTUNE AWAITED ME Image

Spoiler: show
OH MY GOD.

As you read this, I don't want you to feel sorry for me, because, I believe everyone will die someday. My name is Mullin Yato Evans a merchant in China and Dubai.I have been diagnosed with COVID-19.It has defiled all forms of medical treatment, and right now I have only about a few weeks to live, according to medical experts. I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never really cared for anyone (not even myself) but my businesses.

Though I am very rich, I was never generous,I was always hostile to people and only focused on my business as that was the only thing I cared for.

But now I regret all this as I now know that there is more to life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world. I believe when God gives me a second chance to come to this world I would live my life in a different way from how I have lived it.

Now that God has called me, I have willed and given most of my property and assets to my immediate and extended family members as well as a few close friends. I want God to be merciful to me and accept my soul so,I have decided to give also to charity organizations, as I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on earth. So far, I have distributed money to some charity organizations in the U.A.E, Algeria, Malaysia and some countries in Africa. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I cannot do this myself anymore.

I had recently asked members of my family to close one of my accounts and distribute the money which I have there to charity organization in Bulgaria and Pakistan, they refused and kept the money to themselves. Hence, I do not trust them anymore, as they seem not to be contented with what I have left for them. The last of my money which no one knows of is the huge cash deposit of Two Hundred and Eleven Million United States Dollars $211,000,000,00 that I have with a Financial Holding Firm abroad.

I will want you to help me collect this deposit and dispatched it to charity organizations. I have set aside 10% for you, your time and also any expenses incured during this assignment. God be with you.

Kindly reply me on my confidential email account : ramit_inma_ashol@gmail.com

God bless you greatly as you do.

Regards,
Mullin Yato Evans

THE STORY CONTINUES

"Defiled all forms of medical treatment" I'm stealing that Image

A very little annoyance: SUPER SCAWY HORROR MODS that blag Silent Hill music and SFX wholesale. JOB DONE MIRITE. This would've been a very cool scene, if it didn't sound like a promotional CD for Konami's latest whoring out of a long-pillaged IP. Would I still have said "OMFG, that be very SH1-esque" yes, but that's fine! Toyama & co stole from the very best for their classic pastiche, and good pastiche is no bad thing.

It's not hard FFS. Get a brillo pad, a dimestore mic and some stock animal SFX, boot up Audacity, then get blackout hammered on your intoxicant of choice and cunt it all up in the Effects menu. Easy!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:59 am 

A quick bite:

Spammer: "I have your password. I took control of your cam, and recorded what you have done...while visiting those sites".

Me: "Oh, good. Anyway I uploaded...it on Sexagainstnature.com, section "Too sick 2 exist". I am always sure that I make my kinks known to the connoiseurs!".

I admit that my rants on various games have been put on hold. I promise that I will spam the relevant topics in due time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:41 am 

I wonder if Darksydephil (an internet superhero whose power is to get caught jacking off on livestream) has ever received one like that. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:21 pm 

Funny thing with these threatening e-mails, they always end up in your spam folder. So if they did have any videos of you, sending those out to your employer or friends would also end up in their spam folders.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:17 pm 

Speaking of spammy COVID emails, I've been getting a lot of poorly written ones from "paypal" lately. "Dear sir due to COVID-19 the paypal family need you sign in when now. CLICK LINK TO SIGN IN".

I think I'm up to three right now. Bring on some more!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:58 pm 

No Drauch watch out, it's a trap!!
D=

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:40 pm 

I fear the thread has gotten too nice, Burinju. Image This is Little Annoyed Hell, a garbage incinerator of long-held repute! You should be exhorting drauch-sama to hire some mercs and seek out the Prince of Nigeria and his fathomless riches, so he can DDT that scamming fucker onto a steel chair before making off with the cash! Image

A Wakaliwood dramatisation:

Spoiler: show

Stardate: My Big Frickin Dong. Fatty McFatFat Carl of Swindon (self-dubbed "Sargon of Akkad") little annoys me. He can speak articulately on issues his government cowers away from, like England's infamous child rape gangs (obfuscated by the press as "Asian" or "Muslim" with no regard for said demographics, despite being consistently traceable to rural corners of Pakistan - like calling Yardie gangsters "West Indians"). He's also an arrogant buffoon who jovially mooted raping a female rival while running for office, weathering the public's revulsion with the grace of a man shitting violently after just a wee dram of polonium. This nous then saw him pick a nonsensical fight with beloved internet roadrunner Jimmy "IRA in USA" Metokur, who obligingly savaged Carlton's anus and integrity alike, the portly coyote fruitlessly pulling every trick in his much-decried SJW Playbook™.

Good job, Carl. The public think you're irredeemable scum. A chunk of your erstwhile online base considers you a faithless cunt. And children forsaken by their country, who could benefit from your work, may instead be even more SOL with your antics attached to their plight. This must be high-level strategy, just like Daddy Trump.

On balance, the effect is like the village idiot having the only flashlight during a blackout caused by willfully incompetent public works. I am a detached observer of all this, at most, but pathos tends to sneak up on me, like when I see a not-untalented speaker, willing to discuss politically unpalatable issues, afflicted by an uncontrollable urge to publically shit his pants.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:33 am 

I'm mad that THE QUEEN OF BATTLERS II does not have an attract mode. How could the devs be this careless? ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:20 pm 

Randorama wrote:
A quick bite:

Spammer: "I have your password. I took control of your cam, and recorded what you have done...while visiting those sites".

Me: "Oh, good. Anyway I uploaded...it on Sexagainstnature.com, section "Too sick 2 exist". I am always sure that I make my kinks known to the connoiseurs!".

I admit that my rants on various games have been put on hold. I promise that I will spam the relevant topics in due time.

Yeah I've gotten a bunch of those lately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:39 pm 

The motorcycle segment and Afterburner/Space Harrier segments in Bayonetta are truly awful. Not only do have to button mash to fire at high speeds all throughout them, but the camera is awful in them. An embarrassment to Sega, who having made Outrun 2/2SP should know better how to position a camera in a racing game.

The motorcycle segment has the camera positioned behind the rather tall Bayonetta, in such a way that it's actually hard to see what's directly in front of you, instead of moving the camera up a bit to avoid this issue.

The Afterburner/Space Harrier style segment is even worse. The player ship is absolutely gargantuan in size making it basically impossible to accurately see anything directly in front. You pretty much have to get a "feel" for the stage, and if you dodge the entire screen rotates suddenly. It's not the end of the world for me but it will absolutely mess up anyone prone to motion sickness (thankfully with good mashing or a rapid fire controller, you don't really need to use the dodge).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:41 pm 

Ugh, are all mobile OSes so user-unfriendly, or is it just that Android is the worst of them?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 pm 

I absolutely love the flavor of the schadenfreude.

Android is a terrible and bloated mess, isn't it?

It's also the 24/7 spy you never ever asked for. Want to turn that off? You'll have to cripple the OS in the process.

Open source with optional blobs, you say? lmao! (You're kidding, right?) The tradeoffs make the OS practically unusable. You'd be better off just building directly on top of Linux.

Want patches and updates? Buy a new device! :)

Project Treble is pure lip service and vaporware.

Although, Android never was great mobile OS when it was simple. Like the Hiptop platform before it, it arrived full of memory leaks that crashed an "always on" device once every 10-14 days. It also trapped devs behind a silly fork of Java. That wasn't good enough to release in the first place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:01 am 

Wait all day 2 HARD GAYME but -

2 sleepy 2 perform 3; Dying to shit u cant see, brain sayin time 2 pack it in 3;

Fuck that! I WANT MORE LIFE FUCKER

See you in hell, gentlemen! I mean good night! Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 am 

^^^^^^^^^^^^
that was amazing, lol

*slow clap* then *standing O*

My friend, have you tried : amphetamines? Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:32 pm 

I'm building a top-secret unholy stash for when I attempt the Dangun Feveron WR, nobody from HS reads OT so they'll never know the ghost of Lemmy himself was at the controls :cool:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:08 pm 

Try sleeping you old bastard.

Anyway I just lol'd out my ass that some dickless fuck emailed Jim Sterling spoilers for the Last of Us 2 in the subject line :lol:
All because Sterling gave Fallout 76 Wastelanders a bad review. fucking hell :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
This is what we've come to .

Now i'm gonna go back to roasting a stranger's bollocks over a fire because they disliked dark souls.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:10 am 

OMFG (■`W´■)

Friendship ended with BURINJU (`ω´メ)
Now ADDERALL is my best friend (◎ ω ◎;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:33 pm 

null1024 wrote:
and I've heard of people considering crazy stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOJ3yCK8pI

Panini projection is glorious and more games should adopt it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:17 pm 

fuck you

just absent mindedly clicking around and I hit the scrollwheel click on my emulator by accident and that's a fuckton of JRPG progress I just LOST. ima stab a bitch

Edit: wow old mistake shit

Last edited by Blinge on Sat May 16, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:53 pm 

Why would you use such a superfluous thing with your emulators? You heathen!
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm 

I wasted several hours trying to figure out why DOSBox kept stuttering. Nothing had changed configuration-wise... but it seems like some combination of a new monitor/video drivers caused DOSBox to be extremely unstable and experience constant hiccups in games if cycles=max (i.e. run as fast as possible). Was having an odd issue where the videos between stages in SideLine would grind to a halt after a few seconds.

Turns out just making sure DOSBox only runs at a fixed set of cycles is the way to go now (36000 seems good for SideLine, too fast and it stutters).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:04 am 

Thanks for reminding me why I switched to PCem years ago and never looked back.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316  Next