shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:46 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:31 pm 

null1024 wrote:
The most important part of Github for someone who isn't there as a developer [and if they are, they're likely to not even actually go to the site] is the "releases" button, which is naturally not in the top bar for some godforsaken reason.

if the Releases link is in ANY standard location on a GitHub page then I've never even noticed it :lol: I've resigned to just manually adding "/releases" to the URL myself

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:04 pm 

The link is next to the commits/branches/packages/contributors links when you're in the Code tab. Not every project has releases though, and you're expected to build those from source.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:30 pm 

Some things in new cars annoy me.

Driving around my recycling centre, stopping and starting starts the "seatbelt is not attached" alarm. It gets louder and louder. So you can keep getting in and out of the car as you recycle bottles, clothes, wood, metal and attach seat belt each time, or you can just listen to the dinging which on my Toyota is fucking annoying. I have a Ford now which is forgiving in this dept.

I've got a car with an electronic handbrake. Nobody told me it only releases automatically in 1st, in reverse you have to unlatch it manually, mind you I only had the car one day so far :lol:

I put an ebay auction up which was for a Best buy "Finding Nemo" case only. Its like a steelbook but it isn't its called a Viva metal case and they are now out of print due to copyright infringes on the actual real Steelbook design. So some lady uses a BIN on it and then refuses to pay because it has no discs inside. I put in HUGE letters "DOES NOT CONTAIN DISCS".

I'm sure one day they will be worth a lot of money, they are beautiful. But for now I can't sell it for love nor money.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:00 pm 

People who write in lower case only. If it's more than just a sentence, it makes the text more convoluted and reading unnecessarily harder.

You're trying to communicate with someone, make a little effort there mate - hit that shift key, it's not hard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:03 pm 

Look out, kitten! Homeboy's picking a fight! :lol:
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:28 am 

On one hand, that most likely happens when someone posts from a device with no keyboard, like a smartphone, so it's understandable. Not so easy to switch to capital letters there. On the other, it's still kinda their own fault for using an inferior device.

That said, tablet OSes and their apps feel like they were designed by uni dropouts. How can people prefer using that crap in place of proper laptops is beyond me.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:02 pm 

While we're at it, People Who Capitalize The First Letter Of Each Word In A Setting Where It's Not Necessary.

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:27 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Look out, kitten! Homeboy's picking a fight! :lol:

true

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:45 am 

People who drive side by side and just sit next to one another.
MOVE, seriously. Speed up, slow down, whatever, just don't sit directly beside another vehicle. Bonus points if you're sitting next to a truck.

Also, people who habitually overtake on the wrong side.
The passing lane is completely open, but you're still going to cut on the wrong side.
Like, I'm in the US, so people routinely overtake on either side and no one thinks too much about it, but some people insist on weaving through cars like an ass despite there being an open, empty lane that is designated for passing, mucking about with slower traffic and generally just making the road a bit more dangerous.

Specineff wrote:
While we're at it, People Who Capitalize The First Letter Of Each Word In A Setting Where It's Not Necessary.

This one hurts me.
Thankfully, I've noticed that it's on the decline. Lowercase posting is on the rise [and even I routinely succumb to it], but that's okay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:06 pm 

So I wasn't sure on posting this here or the anime thread but it probably fits here better. I was reading an old review of Yamato, which came out BEFORE Star Wars that said it capitalized off Star Wars hype.

Very insightful of Leiji to have seen Star Wars years before it was released.

Specineff wrote:

Do people really do this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:32 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Specineff wrote:

Do people really do this?

yes. i think it's mostly an older person thing (i've seen a lot of boomer-age people do this on twitter or facebook screencaps and you see it in comments sections, especially on news sites targeted toward myopic old conservatives), but you'd occasionally get people on older forums who habitually did this, too. a friend of mine trawls ancient usenet posts for things like opinions on old game consoles as they came out, and you see these people every once in a while.

i know that that method of typing probably exacerbates this perception because of how your mind processes it, but people who type that way always seem to have some sort of really baffling self-conception of themselves as always saying something important or that other people just can't grasp. like, there's a notion they're always talking to themselves so that others may overhear for their benefit - a belief that they're being magnanimous by sharing their wisdom and that they are inherently helpful by submitting a comment. it's really bizarre.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:57 pm 

I know I brought up the Weird People Who Capitalize Every Word here like 4 years ago but I still want answers dammit! I just wanna know WHY!!
(there's a part of me that wants to say its from people not using phones correctly but there's no way that accounts for all of it)
also, reposting Null's response from back then:
null1024 wrote:
These people are undeserving of life, yet death is too merciful. :lol:.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:48 pm 

mamboFoxtrot wrote:
I know I brought up the Weird People Who Capitalize Every Word here like 4 years ago but I still want answers dammit! I just wanna know WHY!!
(there's a part of me that wants to say its from people not using phones correctly but there's no way that accounts for all of it)
also, reposting Null's response from back then:
null1024 wrote:
These people are undeserving of life, yet death is too merciful. :lol:.

:lol:
Blast from the past.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:44 pm 

I was bored and decided to try Googling it.
Not a lot of responses from the actual people who do it, but the most common answers I saw were:

Phones really do be like that sometimes
OCD-related habit; or sometimes non-pathological habit picked up for some other reason, like entering song titles a lot or just really struggled to learn to use a keyboard
Really young kids think it makes them look older or "more professional"
and finally there's "I Think It Looks Nicer I See Nothing Wrong With This Stop Acting Like My 5th Grade Teacher" aka SOCIOPATHS :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 pm 

I vaguely recall that certain languages, specifically German, require more frequent capitalization than English does, so perhaps something like that seeped in there someplace.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:24 am 

I thought it was a management/HR thing. At previous jobs I observed that any kind of notice posted on a bulletin board or door was always written With Special Capitalization For Special People. They were also prone to spelling/grammar mistakes. At one place I would take a pen out of my pocket and make corrections, until one day I happened to overhear one of the bosses telling somebody how annoyed they were by this :) :) :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:33 am 

Capitalisation For Dramatic Emphasis is Very Useful Indeed, being a reliable method of Detecting Chris Chan. Image

Heroic Dream for Our Community NOW and in the Future. The Solution: Dating Education wrote:
It is a fact that individuals who were unable to find their opposite-gender Sweetheart or crushes and get lucky before adulthood are likely tempted to turn homo… A dismal future NO God-Loving Individual, including myself; I swear on my Holy Bible as I type this essay with every keystroke I make with my keyboard resting on my Bible, would ever want to see occur. :[ The Dating Education Classes can best enforce the Natural Man-and-Woman Pairings/Couples; the homosexual count would be reduced.

If my essay is selected, I would give the money to our local High Schools to begin the Long-Necessary and Required Dating Education Class Trend within these United States, and then Worldwide, for a Better, Bright Future for All.

^ this is possibly Chris Chan :o :idea:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 am 

People Who Type Out Everything Like This.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:11 pm 

Shipping costs from Japan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:49 pm 

Shipping costs and customs from the US

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:59 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Shipping costs and customs from the US

The problem is your customs right? I never pay tariffs on anything lol. But yeah international shipping sucks across the board now. Costs $50 to ship anything. Just paid $70 to EMS 17 volumes of manga.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:19 pm 

Customs are bad, but it's really mostly the shipping. If I want a $10 game there's a good chance I can't find it with less than $37 in shipping.

You can buy stuff from Japan at shipping prices of $0-$10 usually. And if you're lucky they'll send it untracked (which I touched on before in the context of customs). Americans refuse to do that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:47 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Customs are bad, but it's really mostly the shipping. If I want a $10 game there's a good chance I can't find it with less than $37 in shipping.

You can buy stuff from Japan at shipping prices of $0-$10 usually. And if you're lucky they'll send it untracked (which I touched on before in the context of customs). Americans refuse to do that.

I will say it's definitely worse out of the US for small items like a single jewel case game. I'm getting mostly LD, books and figures so that's never been cheap, but it's kind of outrageous now. I am going to find out how much 24 LD (couple box sets and 5 individual releases) cost to ship in 2020, should be fun. I have no doubt it will be better to consolidate though.

There is not an untracked option out of the US anymore. There used to be but it's been some years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:07 pm 

All shipping with the USPS is annoying. I don't want to ship anything cheap or internationally, because it takes too long.

The United States is trying to kill the post service. It takes me 45 minutes to go to the USPS station. I can't get free for almost an hour to send a package along.

There used to be satellite locations around. Not anymore. As usual, wealthy people got involved with the government and starved their competition for funds.

The satellite locations are gone. There are still mail slot drop boxes, but you can't shove a package through a slot. I could schedule a pickup online with my post route person, but that means staying home all day waiting to personally hand it over. That's not convenient.

On the other hand, there are UPS and FedEx locations everywhere. It's quick and convenient, just like mailing a package used to be (when the post service had local stations around nearby).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:38 pm 

orange808 wrote:
All shipping with the USPS is annoying. I don't want to ship anything cheap or internationally, because it takes too long.

The United States is trying to kill the post service. It takes me 45 minutes to go to the USPS station. I can't get free for almost an hour to send a package along.

There used to be satellite locations around. Not anymore. As usual, wealthy people got involved with the government and starved their competition for funds.

The satellite locations are gone. There are still mail slot drop boxes, but you can't shove a package through a slot. I could schedule a pickup online with my post route person, but that means staying home all day waiting to personally hand it over. That's not convenient.

On the other hand, there are UPS and FedEx locations everywhere. It's quick and convenient, just like mailing a package used to be (when the post service had local stations around nearby).

Cripes, where are you? I am guessing a bigger city where they have far too few locations. The hole in the wall town I am in has a PO and Topeka has multiple locations (sometimes more convenient) so I'm able to just prepare my stuff in advance, drop it off and leave. So it's just convenient for me to use USPS. UPS has a couple locations, both are out of the way and I have no idea about Fedex since I almost never deal with them sending or receiving. Every time I have to deal with UPS I have to go to an industrial part of town and it's gross. Did a quick google search and this is still by far the closest location out of three total. USPS shows over 10.

Not really meaning to defend USPS because they do suck, it's just the opposite situation for me.

I agree they are trying to kill the USPS. They closed the sorting facility in Topeka some years back and it really fucked things up. I get so many more errors now, miss sent packages to slightly wrong zip codes which NEVER used to happen when there was that extra layer of sorting. All the new employees are part time now (to fuck them over) so they can't be bothered to care much and I don't really blame them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:09 am 

Exactly the same shitty situation with the postal services around here.

What's even the purpose of multiple competing delivery services when the service they need to provide is exactly the same? Feels like an absurd waste with so much redundancy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:02 am 

Sumez wrote:
What's even the purpose of multiple competing delivery services when the service they need to provide is exactly the same? Feels like an absurd waste with so much redundancy.

The theory, at least around here, is that competition will encourage each player to improve services, efficiency, etc. to get a leg up, which will benefit the consumer, and there's surely some truth to that, but unfortunately far too little has been done to prohibit these companies from taking actions which benefit them but blatantly reduce the potential for competition, the main one here being the private-sector-supported legislation passed 20 or so years ago which requires the postal service to fully fund its retirement obligations nearly a century in advance, and thus forces them to both cut back on services and lose money every year - while the aforementioned private sector and its "pro-business" politicians, along with much of the media, complains "why should we keep such an inefficient entity around at all, just privatize everything" in hopes that most people don't remember how this all came to pass.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:33 pm 

BulletMagnet wrote:
while the aforementioned private sector and its "pro-business" politicians, along with much of the media, complains "why should we keep such an inefficient entity around at all, just privatize everything" in hopes that most people don't remember how this all came to pass.

And most people don't remember or even care, let alone know how to make educated, nuanced voting decisions. Hence why there's a good chance we'll see a Trump "flu vaccines stop COVID-19, right?" 2020 election.

Capitalist interests constantly do this to healthcare as well as schooling; strip public-sector services of the funding or the ability to do their job properly, then point at them and claim it's entirely their fault while encouraging people to use for-profit private providers. For-profit providers get rich off the public and get to be made out to be saviours when their lobbyists are the reason the public systems aren't properly funded and supported like in competent socialist capitalism European models. It's especially egregious in the cases of for-profit systems that are demonstrably shown to perform much worse than public models such as for-profit prisons or private (and often unaccredited) schools.

Also ties into this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:09 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
while the aforementioned private sector and its "pro-business" politicians, along with much of the media, complains "why should we keep such an inefficient entity around at all, just privatize everything" in hopes that most people don't remember how this all came to pass.

And most people don't remember or even care, let alone know how to make educated, nuanced voting decisions. Hence why there's a good chance we'll see a Trump "flu vaccines stop COVID-19, right?" 2020 election.

Capitalist interests constantly do this to healthcare as well as schooling; strip public-sector services of the funding or the ability to do their job properly, then point at them and claim it's entirely their fault while encouraging people to use for-profit private providers. For-profit providers get rich off the public and get to be made out to be saviours when their lobbyists are the reason the public systems aren't properly funded and supported like in competent socialist capitalism European models. It's especially egregious in the cases of for-profit systems that are demonstrably shown to perform much worse than public models such as for-profit prisons or private (and often unaccredited) schools.

Also ties into this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

I'm convinced if we didn't already have free public schools already people would be making the same claims they are about health care.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:01 am 

I really liked that top headline, particularly the use of the word "vile." Expected a story about some maverick inventor's ingenious yet dangerously unregulated and moreover disgusting battery technology. Some Thunderdome stuff! Turns out it was just Florida Man up to his usual antics. Throwing shit on someone. Cow manure battery! Geddit?! Bwaaa!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314  Next