Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
kitten

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by kitten »

Durandal wrote:Many in the middle who don't have to deal with the right-wing trolling and question modern woke politics out of sincere curiosity are immediately pegged by the woke left as having malicious intent (or because they're impatient assholes who berate you for not getting with the new times you just heard about) and remorselessly blocked/banned.
would like to take a second to stress, here, that this shit is often characterized as only catching people in the middle of a crossfire while it is also ruthlessly imposed upon people who are already in the woke left, as well. our own are eaten as much as - if not more than - bystanders who haven't been recruited in a direction. this going on for so long has led to a generation of now-teenagers who have been groomed by watching years of "social justice" near-exclusively take the form of extreme group policing and ostracization. these kids then get charged for their first opportunity to hang somebody and do the community some good, which leads to seriously incredible instances of prosecuting thought crimes or minor slip-ups with no concern for the well-being of the prosecuted or the actual impact and intent of the 'crime'.

it starts to be seen as a community imperative to purge anyone who so much as consumes and enjoys media that might contain something transgressive or just be by someone who had a transgressive thought. follow someone transgressive on social media (e.g. a contentious trans person like contrapoints) and it doesn't matter if you're following in full knowledge they're problematic and doing so just to keep up with the discourse, you'll get accused or suspected of supporting them and sometimes called out, unfollowed, blocked, etc. the more 'woke' the community you're in, the more you're expected to go along with this shit without question and obey murmurs and gossip - and obey them very quickly. get caught out of the loop on who is or isn't problematic and you'll get a teenager asserting they're somehow victimized and suggesting you're malicious if you don't obey on the spot. the more public the space, the worse this often is.

you'd be astonished to learn how severely we bludgeon some of our own because they're more accessible than the person alleged of offending. i guarantee to you that right now friendships are being ended and people pushed out of discord servers (that may be among their only daily hangout spaces) for some expressing that they feel this translator was getting unfairly bullied and didn't deserve this no matter how many concessions they make that what he did wasn't right. likewise, i'm sure there are those on the other extreme infuriated with those intimating the translation doesn't need to stay as-is and could be a bit more sensitive.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Wata123

Post by Wata123 »

People who think politics began in 2016 or with GamerGate or whenever Tumblr went online.

People who think leftism = identity politics, or even that idpol is essential or fundamental to a leftist mindset.

People conflating leftism with their emotional juvenility, refusal to grow up, narcissism, mood disorders, etc. ("The personal is political!")

People who underestimate or downplay the damaging, counterproductive nature or idpol, while also wildly overestimating it's potency.

For the rest, The Culture of Narcissism by Christopher Lasch is mandatory reading, and if reading is hard, r/stupidpol is a good place to shoot the shit and find alternative ideas to """leftism""" corrupted by neolibs, radlibs, and assorted narcissistic retards.
drauch

Post by drauch »

This thread is starting to suck eggs.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Warren suggests criminalizing "misinformation", informed by her center-right wing position. Almost all of American politic skews right, but (in the country right now) she is looking comfortably centrist among peers.

My point being, authoritarian ideas come from every position on the political spectrum, not just the fringes. It happens because (apparently) nobody can accept that they will sometimes see and hear things they disagree with. Sometimes, the things you will hear won't even be true! :)

While obviously proposed to strengthen the MSM, it's a short sighted idea that can backfire. Sidestepping the question of the MSM's accuracy, the entire enterprise is folly. In the wrong climate, the same laws could be used by fringe actors to mute the MSM and all other political opposition entirely.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

bestazy wrote: Mosquitoes at night in the bedroom.
Where do you live??! :shock:
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I used to be fucking PLAGUED by mosquitoes. They all congregated by my front door and pretty much any time I needed to go in or out some would fly in. Even trying to take a shit there'd be like 3 or 4 mosquitoes in there with me. I learned to take a hand-towel and become fkn Simon Belmont, Bug Slayer, while on the pot. Dark days...
The trucks spraying for mosquitoes over the years have driven most of them off now, tho. (but at what cost?! Guess I'll find out 25 years down the road when the doctor tells me my balls fell off because of a now-banned pesticide)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Grew up in a tropical climate without air conditioning, can vouch for the little annoyed hell of mozzies in your fuckin room at night. Image

Was perversely satisfying smacking the shit out 'em when they were full of blood. God knows whose. Image Next morning they'd be on the way out and weakly harassing you in the shower / on the shitter, but there was little comfort in terminating the little fuckers then.
mamboFoxtrot wrote:The trucks spraying for mosquitoes over the years have driven most of them off now, tho. (but at what cost?! Guess I'll find out 25 years down the road when the doctor tells me my balls fell off because of a now-banned pesticide)
Same. :[ Hopefully a generation didn't dodge dengue only to live in the fearful shadow of Super Nutsack Tumours.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Man, bugs suck.
When I'm down in Trinidad visiting family, I always get murdered by bug bites.
Stayed for like 4 months once as a kid, and my legs were just awful knobbled things utterly covered in bites. Barely any unbitten skin.
even a recent visit a few months ago was pretty awful

I live in Florida, but nothing really gets me here.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The scene that best describes the eternal human-mosquito relationship : http://youtu.be/XZ-EOg38t1o

A towel ? really ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Xyga wrote:A towel ? really ?
yeah
if the blunt-force trauma doesn't get them, then they'll at least very likely get their legs trapped in the towel's fibers and you can pick em off from there
(needless to say I do not use those towels for cleaning/drying my hands anymore lol)
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The little fuckers love me, as do horseflies. Cheers Britain with your constant rain in summer bringing the bastards out in swarms. I also have an allergy to mozzie bites that's bizzarely localised in my right hand - one gets a bite in there and I'm facing a couple of days unable to move my swollen hand. Left hand? Literally anywhere else? Fine, no worries. Whatever body, do what you want yeah?

Only the females drink blood so I will spare any I find in the house with male feathered antennae. They'll be disappointed to see what's left of any local females squashed up in a tissue!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

If you squish a male, that means one less to fertilize the females around.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

That's a little too genocidey for my tastes - they tend to fertilise in swarms outside, so it's done by the time you find the buggers in the house. Also, gotta leave something for the false widow spiders that live in my window vents!
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Negative reviews of Final Fantasy II by people who are butthurt because the game isn't what they want it to be.

Yes, using magic can lower your physical strength, and using physical attacks can lower your magic stat. If you know this, then why put magic on a physical attacker just to complain about it? You have three fixed party members for a reason.

Shields increase evasion but not defense. Enemy attacks can break through even the toughest defenses but don't always land reliably. So why keep bogging down your party members with heavy armor?

The game has no small number of serious issues (like Potions and Antidotes not stacking despite having to share inventory space with plot items), but the growth system, flawed as it may be, isn't one of them.

EDIT: Relevant quote:
The CRPG Addict wrote:I suppose it's a decent counter-argument that by experiencing NO console games, I'm not seeing innovations (if they truly exist) that might have influenced computer RPGs. Your example about Final Fantasy II kicking off a game element that influenced The Elder Scrolls would be a good example if it was true--but we saw this dynamic in computer RPGs as far back as SwordThrust (1981) but more notably in Dungeon Master (1987). Are there other examples that ARE true?
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Eye floaters. The little shits are super distracting.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Smokers
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Some time ago I posted about a subject of annoyance in the smiles thread, and now I'm coming full circle by posting something happy in Little Annoyed Hell since the topic was discussed here a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=485k09b50Cc
Joe Redifer wrote:So, is this [using codes for stage select/invincibility/etc] all cheating? Well, yeah, of course it is. These codes aren't meant to be used during regular gameplay...
Joe Redifer wrote:[S]ay you used one of these codes to make it all the way through the entire game. Can you brag to the other kids on the playground the next day that you beat the game?

[...]

It's definitely a hollow victory.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

The wasteland of proprietary crippleware that is FPGA design tools.

And the solitary open source alternative that is only for 1337 h@x0r25 because there are NO downloadable binaries ANYWHERE.

Which brings me to github. Terrible site. I don't even bother clicking a github link unless I'm desperate, because 98% of links to github go to a page with a list of cryptic directory names and some random text that has nothing to do with anything. Chance of finding anything useful is approximately zero. Can't decide if this is worse or less-worse than dropbox and google links. Those just go to a blank page. Unless you enable the malware in which case they are likely to yield some type of file.

Then there are the ad sites full of SEO spam and fake download buttons everywhere. Can't the twitter hate mobs do something useful and get THOSE sites shutdown?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

ED-057 wrote: Which brings me to github. Terrible site. I don't even bother clicking a github link unless I'm desperate, because 98% of links to github go to a page with a list of cryptic directory names and some random text that has nothing to do with anything.?
The most important part of Github for someone who isn't there as a developer [and if they are, they're likely to not even actually go to the site] is the "releases" button, which is naturally not in the top bar for some godforsaken reason.
Usually, things like installers and binaries are there so you can actually use the software.

also, the big green "clone or download button" in green is painfully useless -- either I use Git as a dev, and will certainly already know how to clone the repository, or I'm just an ordinary person, and have absolutely no need for anything there
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

null1024 wrote:The most important part of Github for someone who isn't there as a developer [and if they are, they're likely to not even actually go to the site] is the "releases" button, which is naturally not in the top bar for some godforsaken reason.
if the Releases link is in ANY standard location on a GitHub page then I've never even noticed it :lol: I've resigned to just manually adding "/releases" to the URL myself
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

The link is next to the commits/branches/packages/contributors links when you're in the Code tab. Not every project has releases though, and you're expected to build those from source.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Some things in new cars annoy me.

Driving around my recycling centre, stopping and starting starts the "seatbelt is not attached" alarm. It gets louder and louder. So you can keep getting in and out of the car as you recycle bottles, clothes, wood, metal and attach seat belt each time, or you can just listen to the dinging which on my Toyota is fucking annoying. I have a Ford now which is forgiving in this dept.

I've got a car with an electronic handbrake. Nobody told me it only releases automatically in 1st, in reverse you have to unlatch it manually, mind you I only had the car one day so far :lol:

I put an ebay auction up which was for a Best buy "Finding Nemo" case only. Its like a steelbook but it isn't its called a Viva metal case and they are now out of print due to copyright infringes on the actual real Steelbook design. So some lady uses a BIN on it and then refuses to pay because it has no discs inside. I put in HUGE letters "DOES NOT CONTAIN DISCS".

I'm sure one day they will be worth a lot of money, they are beautiful. But for now I can't sell it for love nor money.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
bottino

Post by bottino »

People who write in lower case only. If it's more than just a sentence, it makes the text more convoluted and reading unnecessarily harder.

You're trying to communicate with someone, make a little effort there mate - hit that shift key, it's not hard.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Look out, kitten! Homeboy's picking a fight! :lol:
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

On one hand, that most likely happens when someone posts from a device with no keyboard, like a smartphone, so it's understandable. Not so easy to switch to capital letters there. On the other, it's still kinda their own fault for using an inferior device.

That said, tablet OSes and their apps feel like they were designed by uni dropouts. How can people prefer using that crap in place of proper laptops is beyond me.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

While we're at it, People Who Capitalize The First Letter Of Each Word In A Setting Where It's Not Necessary.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
kitten

Post by kitten »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Look out, kitten! Homeboy's picking a fight! :lol:
true
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
null1024

Post by null1024 »

People who drive side by side and just sit next to one another.
MOVE, seriously. Speed up, slow down, whatever, just don't sit directly beside another vehicle. Bonus points if you're sitting next to a truck.

Also, people who habitually overtake on the wrong side.
The passing lane is completely open, but you're still going to cut on the wrong side.
Like, I'm in the US, so people routinely overtake on either side and no one thinks too much about it, but some people insist on weaving through cars like an ass despite there being an open, empty lane that is designated for passing, mucking about with slower traffic and generally just making the road a bit more dangerous.

Specineff wrote:While we're at it, People Who Capitalize The First Letter Of Each Word In A Setting Where It's Not Necessary.
This one hurts me.
Thankfully, I've noticed that it's on the decline. Lowercase posting is on the rise [and even I routinely succumb to it], but that's okay.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

So I wasn't sure on posting this here or the anime thread but it probably fits here better. I was reading an old review of Yamato, which came out BEFORE Star Wars that said it capitalized off Star Wars hype.

Very insightful of Leiji to have seen Star Wars years before it was released.
Specineff wrote:While we're at it, People Who Capitalize The First Letter Of Each Word In A Setting Where It's Not Necessary.
Do people really do this?
kitten

Post by kitten »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Do people really do this?
yes. i think it's mostly an older person thing (i've seen a lot of boomer-age people do this on twitter or facebook screencaps and you see it in comments sections, especially on news sites targeted toward myopic old conservatives), but you'd occasionally get people on older forums who habitually did this, too. a friend of mine trawls ancient usenet posts for things like opinions on old game consoles as they came out, and you see these people every once in a while.

i know that that method of typing probably exacerbates this perception because of how your mind processes it, but people who type that way always seem to have some sort of really baffling self-conception of themselves as always saying something important or that other people just can't grasp. like, there's a notion they're always talking to themselves so that others may overhear for their benefit - a belief that they're being magnanimous by sharing their wisdom and that they are inherently helpful by submitting a comment. it's really bizarre.
Image | Image