shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:55 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304 ... 306  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:28 am 

I really like the slower pace and organization of forums.

1. I chat on IRC quite a bit but beyond some logs in your client-it's all lost to time.
2. There is new kid shit like Discord and it's like IRC with pictures, again no organization history and it's lost to time.
3. Forums like this are great for people making games to get feedback. F**K Github for not doing a better job of creating community around projects.
(And by the way, help the poor bastards trying to please you all in the development section. They get ignored too much.)

In some way, I like the anticipation of people replying to posts. It's like waiting for mail from a girl you like.
Time sweetens the message.

And it's fun to look 5 years back and see how you've changed as a person, or, maybe you've not.
There are a lot of interesting characters *cough* *shoesama* *cough* to review too. :twisted:

Plus, you can always revisit posts originally created by the Old Ones and catch a bit of Zeitgeist.
Some of those Xenocide files on the main site have some rad delivery style. 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 am 

Quote:
(And by the way, help the poor bastards trying to please you all in the development section. They get ignored too much.)

That section is heavily undermoderated. Like 80% of threads are non-users coming here to advertise their games. I used to frequent it more it when it was rather about members from the community making games and discussing gamedev.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:21 pm 

I'll be honest I am just not interested in that section.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:38 am 

ryu wrote:
Like 80% of threads are non-users coming here to advertise their games. I used to frequent it more it when it was rather about members from the community making games and discussing gamedev.

Very, very much this.

FinalBaton wrote:
Put me in the camp who likes old-ass forum layouts. I much preffer that, plus there's a bunch of swell people in here

This is one of two sites I post on that hasn't gone and completely ass-fucking-ruined their layout, largely by virtue of just not changing anything.
A lot of oldschool phpBB-style forums are updating to some shit with the absolute worst garbage -- of particular note is that ctrl+f brings up the internal forum search when all I want is to look through posts on the page. I don't know what the forum software is called, but it's shit. It looks like shit, it feels like shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:30 pm 

I lost interest in the dev forum when it seemed that most of the games being discussed were only available on phones or DRM-infested online stores. Or when there was a post about a PC game, the link would go to some utterly terrible file hosting service that has to load 174 ads and mine $500,000 in bitcoin in my browser before I can sift through 53 fake DOWNLOAD! links to find the one that starts the 20-minute timer that maybe causes part of a file to download.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 pm 

I can't seem to get over wanting to play everything with permadeath rules applied nowadays. Once I got really heavily into arcade games, going back to platformers and RPGs and just kind of dying dozens of times through them kinda felt like credit feeding them, as if I never really bothered to learn them. Sure, I get to see the ending, but if I died a few hundred times to get there it now... I dunno, it feels like a hollow victory.

If there's something like finite lives in a platformer then a restart would be on a full gameover. In an RPG a full party wipe would be a restart, and in something like a multiplayer game where players can revive each other same thing for a full wipe. If it's an online game though, stupid stuff like lag/disconnects causing a dead character obviously wouldn't count, outside of the player control due to technical reasons.

The annoying thing is now it feels like I've ruined myself with being obsessed with clearing everything from start to finish without a gameover. Some stuff I can't even get through a first playthrough of an average jRPG without feeling the compulsion to restart fresh if I get a gameover, which means I end up drowning in a backlog of games (which usually involve multiple playthroughs) for a long time. If I do say screw it and just play it through for the story, it still... I dunno, I feel dirty as if I've credit fed a shmup and called it a victory. I realize it's a ridiculous thing to obsess over in a videogame. Currently trying to get over using continues and just be able to "casually" enjoy a game without worrying about success or failure, someone gifted me Sekiro and it sorta helps that dying/revival is technically a mechanic in the story.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:02 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
I can't seem to get over wanting to play everything with permadeath rules applied nowadays. Once I got really heavily into arcade games, going back to platformers and RPGs and just kind of dying dozens of times through them kinda felt like credit feeding them, as if I never really bothered to learn them. Sure, I get to see the ending, but if I died a few hundred times to get there it now... I dunno, it feels like a hollow victory.

I get that too. If a game isn't made for that type of play and can't be wrangled into it, I probably won't play it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:19 pm 

And yeah, there's lots of good lengthy story-based games out there which are absolutely not meant to be played that way, and permadeath is absolutely not a mechanic that should be in any lengthy RPG/adventure game unless it is 100% optional. Unless you have explicitly designed the game to be played in short bursts, permadeath amounts to gamer masochism, and games should be fun to a widespread audience, which permadeath simply isn't.

Not every game with permadeath is hard mind you; there's some RPGs like Wizardry where characters can easily die at random due to a critical hit beheading them, offering the risk of permadeath (though depending on the version you can use save file reloading abuse to avoid this) or Starcrawlers where there are no instadeath effects and losing characters generally only happens if you've badly messed up and forgot to heal, purchase supplies, etc. But it should never be forced on players and I completely recognize it can be outright stupid to choose to play it on a game where dying is as easy as one failed QTE sequence or enemies kill in only a handful of hits.

But I still feel an OCD urge to beat everything I play without continuing, even console stuff, which makes it really time-consuming and difficult to actually see the entire game... I want to, I dunno, go back to being able to play games half-assed like I did when I was a kid and not care about how often I gameovered. It feels deeply unsatisfying now playing and constantly using continues if I'm playing poorly, like the fun is sucked out of the rest of the run, and I'm aware of how illogical and silly it is to feel this way like I have to masochistically punish myself by deleting a save file on a death. I should be able to make a mistake and keep enjoying the rest of the game without feeling like a ball an chain's on my leg. It's worse when the game has like uber-hard modes where I'm just good enough to clear Normal reliably but then get determined to try and deathless clear the hardest mode when I know just clearing it alone is an absurd challenge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:38 am 

I get where you're coming from, and the best advice I can give you is to take a break from gaming for a while. Say two weeks. You'll feel much better when you come back.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:50 pm 

Games should never feel like a chore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm 

Afaik no internet search engine out there features a 100% random mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm 

Xyga wrote:
Afaik no internet search engine out there features a 100% random mode.

To be fair, tracking the movement of sub atomic particles in real time to select a website would be pretty expensive. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:02 pm 

I'm never listening to Iron Maiden again. Screw big name owners who respond with copyright lawsuits to free advertising in shape of homages.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:17 pm 

CyberAngel wrote:
I'm never listening to Iron Maiden again. Screw big name owners who respond with copyright lawsuits to free advertising in shape of homages.

Wait what

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:33 pm 

Iron Maiden sued 3d Realms for their (just released yesterday; it rules) game, Ion Maiden, so they had to change the name to Ion Fury. It's really shitty, but nothing will stop me from listening to Powerslave.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 pm 

drauch wrote:
Iron Maiden sued 3d Realms for their (just released yesterday; it rules) game, Ion Maiden, so they had to change the name to Ion Fury. It's really shitty, but nothing will stop me from listening to Powerslave.

Ah okay. Yeah I don't pay them anyway and I also won't stop listening to them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:39 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
permadeath is absolutely not a mechanic that should be in any lengthy RPG/adventure game unless it is 100% optional.

Even that is overreaching. Roguelikes are an entire genre of permadeath adventure RPGs and some are quite long.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:19 pm 

Vanguard wrote:
Even that is overreaching. Roguelikes are an entire genre of permadeath adventure RPGs and some are quite long.

Yeah, it's a genre that's designed with permadeath specifically in mind so usually that's part of the appeal. Also, there's a number of longer roguelikes such as the classic Nethack that offer a "cheat" mode that allows you to respawn instead of simply dying, which was what I had in mind when I made the comment (you should be playing the game normally but players technically have the option not to).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:45 pm 

drauch wrote:
I get kinda bummed looking at romhacking projects and just seeing infinite Chrono Trigger/Zelda/Final Fantasy/Mario, etc. hacks coming out, then going down to the Translation section and seeing all these people willing to translate games but everyone's working on Chrono Trigger EX 3.7 GOLD.

Final Fantasy VI received yet another fan translation yesterday and I couldn't help but remember this. Gave me a chuckle.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:10 pm 

The heroic era of great games translations is in the past, all the work that remains today is pretty hard af stuff that's been WIP for over a decade if not nearly two, like some PS2 or Saturn RPGs.

Same on the side of hacks, after the major bugfix patches, 'mania' modes, and undubs, what pool of popular-enough games is left to attract passionate hackers and translators ?

I'm still waiting for Tales of Rebirth translation and Valkyrie Profile undub lol. Ah, and Princess Crown.

Oh yeah Tengai Makyou Zero was finally completed not long ago, but I woud have prefered 2 which will likely never happen.

Also Karous (DC) and recently Mizzurna Falls (PS1), not bad...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm 

Xyga wrote:
The heroic era of great games translations is in the past, all the work that remains today is pretty hard af stuff that's been WIP for over a decade if not nearly two, like some PS2 or Saturn RPGs.

Same on the side of hacks, after the major bugfix patches, 'mania' modes, and undubs, what pool of popular-enough games is left to attract passionate hackers and translators ?

I'm still waiting for Tales of Rebirth translation and Valkyrie Profile undub lol. Ah, and Princess Crown.

Oh yeah Tengai Makyou Zero was finally completed not long ago, but I woud have prefered 2 which will likely never happen.

Also Karous (DC) and recently Mizzurna Falls (PS1), not bad...

Yeah I mean we have actually seen some decent work done lately. Then there is that very ambitious Legend of Xanadu project. If it does get done, that will be awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Then there is that very ambitious Legend of Xanadu project. If it does get done, that will be awesome.

I prefer subtitles. :P :P :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:24 pm 

Xyga wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Then there is that very ambitious Legend of Xanadu project. If it does get done, that will be awesome.

I prefer subtitles. :P :P :P

Don't we all... I was assuming there would be subtitles as well. Haven't looked into it in awhile though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 pm 

Ah, er...you're right I don't know. The dubs project is so big I assume there would be only that choice.

To begin maybe it's a thing because they cannot overlay.

Yeeeeaaaars ago I think I've met a guy sorta involved in the project at a NEC meet (yeah used to be a thing here), all I remember is the face he made when someone brought up the topic. Apparently from the beginning it's been tough stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:41 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
drauch wrote:
I get kinda bummed looking at romhacking projects and just seeing infinite Chrono Trigger/Zelda/Final Fantasy/Mario, etc. hacks coming out, then going down to the Translation section and seeing all these people willing to translate games but everyone's working on Chrono Trigger EX 3.7 GOLD.

Final Fantasy VI received yet another fan translation yesterday and I couldn't help but remember this. Gave me a chuckle.

:lol:

That Mizzurna Translation got pulled btw, because I guess some guy threw it together before addressing the bugs properly, so it supposedly frequently crashes. Haven't given it a shot myself though.

That Legend of Xanadu one... has there been an update in a while? I remember reading a while back about people lending their voices and the contact just dropped and their site hasn't updated in a while. TBH not really looking forward to an amateur dub; subs would certainly be much more welcome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:49 pm 

drauch wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:
drauch wrote:

:lol:

That Mizzurna Translation got pulled btw, because I guess some guy threw it together before addressing the bugs properly, so it supposedly frequently crashes. Haven't given it a shot myself though.

That Legend of Xanadu one... has there been an update in a while? I remember reading a while back about people lending their voices and the contact just dropped and their site hasn't updated in a while. TBH not really looking forward to an amateur dub; subs would certainly be much more welcome.

I haven't seen any new info on it. My point of contact with them is a forum that is now dead though. Both of the main people involved are super busy so I figured it would be years if ever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:25 pm 

drauch wrote:

Sometimes this happens and then it's never to be seen again. Wouldn't be the first hasty patch to die shortly after release.

EDIT: yeah just read the story: it's dead. :?
EWIT: maybe not, anyway i've grabbed the unfinished one in case, apparently with an emulator and regular saves it's okay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 pm 

Just sharted at work :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 am 

drauch wrote:

lmfao

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:24 pm 

mycophobia wrote:
drauch wrote:

lmfao

That shit ain't funny.
Well, just a bit.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304 ... 306  Next