shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:42 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:03 pm 

Yup, that's how the recent Ticketmaster breach happened - random third party code running on the website was compromised. I got stung because I had to turn NoScript off to get the payment to go through, the whole site was so reliant on external content - but because I had to do that, I made sure I used my credit card. Glad I did.

But it shows just how little direct control website owners elect to have and how little they know about what's running on their sites. Heaven help anyone who is blindly navigating these sites in a plain browser, blissfully believing that SSL is protecting them. Using NoScript really highlights how bad it is when you get a tangled mess of a website that won't even display anything unless you permit a tonne of external content to run.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 pm 

I always love it when I go to a website I haven't been to before, and half a dozen random domain names (plus obviously sketchy ones consisting entirely of random letters) are trying to run who the fuck knows what, but have been blocked by NoScript. :lol:

uBlock Origin also has a Malware Domains section .. highly reccomend turning all of those on as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm 

Third-party inclusions is the bane of the same origin policy and the entire trust model around www security. We do have solutions, for example, use CSP to limit all, and CORS to relax where necessary, and do this properly. Usability sucks though, and the cost of adapting existing web applications to work correctly under these new mechanism is high. Add to that the fact that 99% (made up number, but close) of even very senior engineers and CS folks won't have received formal/proper training on security. No wonder folks get it wrong, or simply give up. /rant

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:41 pm 

What happen to instruction manuals for games nowadays??..I really miss those esp the art in them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:31 am 

Welcome to 10 years ago :lol:

I miss them too though. However as a kid I didn't know anyone else who read them and that was the 8/16 bit crossover days - I'm amazed they lasted so long really.

Nothing quite like getting a new game and having sloooow opening hours as the game holds your hand, or interrupts constantly with a pop-up instruction!! I'm sure a printed manual is cheaper if it means you don't have to waste resources coding/testing that menial shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:05 am 

Fucking ebay scalper sonuvabitches.

I see some asshole is busy selling the Corio2 machines that were going for $40 at a ridiculous mark up.

Fuckers.

That's why I didn't post anything about downscaling with it on the open forums, but the news eventually got out... and here we are.

Before you know it, these assholes always swoop in and this community always lets them win.

It's not worth the money! Stop letting the bastards rape you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 am 

TransatlanticFoe wrote:

I miss them too though. However as a kid I didn't know anyone else who read them and that was the 8/16 bit crossover days - I'm amazed they lasted so long really.

Nothing quite like getting a new game and having sloooow opening hours as the game holds your hand, or interrupts constantly with a pop-up instruction!! I'm sure a printed manual is cheaper if it means you don't have to waste resources coding/testing that menial shit.

I miss them for complex games 8)

I had this friend at school who read those manuals cover to cover, fighting games esp.

I swear no one could beat this guy playing SFII/ MK etc , he knew all the moves (while most of us were still looking at the pad trying to figure it out) he had already wiped the floor with us. Even at the arcades he would make a bee line for SFII , line of kids trying to beat him, he's on there all night until the older kids threatened to break his fingers hahahaha great day's

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:02 pm 

garrz32 wrote:
TransatlanticFoe wrote:

I miss them for complex games 8)

I had this friend at school who read those manuals cover to cover, fighting games esp.

I swear no one could beat this guy playing SFII/ MK etc , he knew all the moves (while most of us were still looking at the pad trying to figure it out) he had already wiped the floor with us. Even at the arcades he would make a bee line for SFII , line of kids trying to beat him, he's on there all night until the older kids threatened to break his fingers hahahaha great day's

New game? New instructions? That was prime toilet reading material.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:12 pm 

Stevens wrote:

New game? New instructions? That was prime toilet reading material.

:lol: Hell yeah!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:11 pm 

When you finally get around to picking up a game that's been on your backlog for a while, and someone else on the internet talks about memories of "playing it in their childhood"...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 pm 

Oof, I had that happen to me a while ago.

Related, seeing "epic fail" on a billboard and realizing it's basically a dad joke now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:11 am 

Troll moderators on lame shitty zombie "game sites" that no real gamers read. aka: nintendolife.com.

Here's an asshat attacking the guy that hacked Duck Hunt to work with LCD screens.

Quote:
"Not only are you advertising your project, you're actually advertising a ROM file... please advertis your rom hacks in some other site that cares."

Ohs noes! A ROM! ;)

Comedy gold!

Gosh, where else could a person possibly go to write "I loves mah Mario gamez on mah Switch!" :) Good thing we have nintendolife.com!

Spoiler: show
[img]
[/img]

What a shitshow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 am 

orange808 wrote:
Comedy gold!

So funny that a website doesn't want people posting blatantly pirated software on their forum?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:56 am 

If they're distributing an IPS file it really is no different from modding a game or console you own, no?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:58 am 

I'd say so. But according to both orange808 and the screen shot, it's a ROM image?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:01 am 

Yeah, I mis-wrote my post. But the quote also makes it sound like Nintendon'tlife folks don't like projects, either. And suggesting an IPS file would take care of the ROM distribution worries, the way any Reddit moderator polices these things. These guys don't sound like the smartest gamers on the block.

Also, they're worried about the legality of Duck Hunt? Don't they make chairs out of them?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:06 am 

I'd be more worried about the wrath of Nintendo's lawyers than any game specifically. :)

The NesDev Wiki even took down a tiny animation using footage from Super Mario Bros to demonstrate how the game loads in stage data while scrolling, and replaced it with a homebrew open source game...

Honestly I think it makes sense for any public forum to have a "no illegal bznz" policy, and just not make exceptions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pm 

Sumez wrote:
I'd say so. But according to both orange808 and the screen shot, it's a ROM image?

The actual site has IPS patches, but lists the games as ROMs, despite the site only having patches, as far as I can tell.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:18 pm 

Labeling important development as spam is beyond stupidity.

And, yes, it is a IPS patch on his site and it always has been; however, any and all discussion that involves evil ROM files is verboten at most of your fake corporate "fan sites".

Like I said, you can show up and say, "Mah Switch iz funz!" That's about it.

It's worthless. Absolute rubbish.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:31 pm 

Sumez wrote:
I'd be more worried about the wrath of Nintendo's lawyers than any game specifically. :)

Dumping a ROM off a cartridge you own is legal. There's no copy protection scheme, no restrictive license to speak of, so applying an IPS patch is likely legal as well (and certainly should be).

The example about NESdev is a different kettle of fish because it involves transmission of the copyrighted materials - of course I wouldn't be surprised if nintendolife has some copyrighted materials around in their site graphics.

Anybody remember Sega's war on Shining Force Youtube videos?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294