Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Udderdude

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Udderdude »

So Sony just sent me a nice eMail telling me they're changing the Playstation store. They're removing the ability to buy PS3/PSP/Vita games, you can still buy them on the game console or handheld itself. But what's pissing me off is they're removing the wishlist. Seriously? I was using that! I just bought something off it two days ago! Buncha ijits!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If you've ever owned a PS3 or PS4, you should know by now that user friendliness isn't Sony's priority.

Thanks for the warning though, I didn't get that mail, so I'll go in right now to note down everything I got on my wishlist.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The entire .co. domain. Who in the hell thought that was a good idea?

Visits are almost due to a typo. Why even have it? I have to block it outright, so nobody on the network can visit those sites, anyhow. It has no practical use outside of spreading badware.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I wasted a huge chunk of time trying to figure out why games were stuttering horribly despite having recorded just fine previously in OBS. It seems that when using Game Capture I have to make sure "Limit Capture Framerate" is checked off otherwise weird stuff occurs, such as DXX-Rebirth dropping to 31 FPS, or DOSBox stuttering like crazy. Maybe I accidentally unchecked it at some point and never realized? But I thought I had to resort to Windows Capture for everything since then.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Apparently people think Bloodborne is a survival horror game. WTF.

Reading game opinions on other sites really does make me appreciate this forum even more tbh.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

Definitely fruit flies. Those pesky motherfuckers annoy me to no end, and I had to put away the food and drink to make them go away.
Also, the guys who "gave" me the rap CD outside of Anime Expo charge me for $20. I told them "Sorry, I don't have money on me now."
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Apparently people think Bloodborne is a survival horror game. WTF.
At best you could call it a horror/occult-themed action game. It's way too action-oriented to be survival horror, though, especially since dying is so expected that it becomes merely another obstacle, rather than a threat that's a source of tension.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Apparently people think Bloodborne is a survival horror game. WTF.
At best you could call it a horror/occult-themed action game. It's way too action-oriented to be survival horror, though, especially since dying is so expected that it becomes merely another obstacle, rather than a threat that's a source of tension.
I made a reply pointing out that it doesn't have survival horror elements and also referenced Kuon since it was the same dev and to play/look at footage from both games to compare and contrast if they were still wondering.

The reply I got? Here's a random clickbait article about "hard" survival horror games that includes BB. Image
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

As far as I'm concerned, Survival Horror is defined by 1)thematic elements and 2)limited resources characterized by a general inability to kill off every enemy you encounter (or nearly so). For me, it ideally includes an optional story to follow and adventure game puzzles.

But people will categorize anything as anything and defend it till the cows come home. Reminds of many "is it punk" arguments I had in the past.

It's actually pretty interesting to me how persistent genres are in video games. In music, specific genres are typically tied to a specific place at a specific time. "New Wave," for example, is only meaningful in the context of pop rock bands in the late 70's-early 80's that began to incorporate electronic instruments as accents to or as replacements for existing traditional rock instruments. In any other context, you can only say that music is New Wave-like, or exhibits the qualities of New Wave.

Games take such a long time to complete and can involve so many people from so many different places that the genres are less tied to time and place.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, there's a lot of games which can evoke a sense of horror, dread, tension, but aren't designed around actual survival horror style gameplay. Survival horror games classically involve a player character who absolutely is not a one-man army, is not generally capable of feats of insane agility, etc.

The original Doom for instance, is a game that is heavily horror and gore themed, but it is definitely not a survival horror game. It's a first person shooter that simply has horror elements such as terrifyingly dark passageways and such.

Wrath of Earth also hits some similar survival horror vibes without being an actual survival horror game; it's an MS-DOS era FPS where you're exploring planets and trying to stop an alien invasion that's invaded and enslaved human colonies. Your suit's solar powered and comes with shoulder mounted plasma cannons and missile packs, but you really don't have much actual health. Unless you're playing on Easy mode, where you are a damage sponge, your shielding drops very rapidly. 4 hits from early game enemies can ruin your shields, melee enemies are slow and easily evaded but can do about 1/2 shield damage. And, when shields are low, attacks often damage your systems, including your HUD. Suddenly losing power to your weapon systems and having all your meters and HUD go totally blank because you took a strong hit is pretty terrifying and demands an immediate retreat to a light source or energy packs to let your suit repair. It's especially scary when you're in a dimly lit environment with no light source to recharge from, hoping you can find batteries to recharge your suit. Worse, if you're stuck somewhere like the dark side of a cold planet where the temperature is low enough to constantly damage you, you're desperately running collecting batteries in the hope of finding shelter. It's not a survival horror game, but your relative fragility coupled with the added danger of being in extreme temperature zones or dark areas where you can't rely on your autorecovery systems is a very real source of tension.

A real example of a game that could claim to be a survival horror game whilst straddling other genres like adventure games is the first Ecstatica game. It uses gore, jump scares, limited carrying capacity (one item in each hand), no visible player health or HUD (damage is indicated by if you're limping), has an early persistent enemy that will chase you relentlessly and requires hiding from to evade (technically killable but its health is absolutely ridiculous). It also has some nasty elements such as instadeath traps, and some black comedy humour. The setting's supposed to be medieval age fantasy though, not a traditional setting for a survival horror game, and the art style is unusual and unique enough that it may feel more wacky than truly scary and tense for people.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ I've half-jokingly called the Ecco MD games "scrolling survival horror action," though after your description of Wrath of Earth, that's pretty much the category I'd put them in - action games with persistent resource management and high atmospheric tension. You're often navigating dark, claustrophobic passages, with air pockets not immediately apparent. And while Ecco is agile and can defend himself, there's a subtle aquatic resistance on his cinematic movement, with enemies liable to dive in from any direction. It makes certain areas (like Ecco 1's muddy prehistoric ocean) pretty nervy.

I just wish they'd put a few really terrifying, evade-or-else beasts in there... the dunkleosteuses are basically sprite-swaps of the modern-day sharks, I wanted a godawful schoolbus-sized titan to skirt around. The most massive creature you encounter is a friendly blue whale, who's still pretty imposing.

It's also one of the few sidescrollers I've played where a tight camera viewpoint isn't merely an irritating flaw, but a credible source of tension. Critically, it's not too tight (Rockman Zero - now there's a camera to horrify), and Ecco stays anchored to the screen center at all times, unlike tattier would-be 2D horror action like Alien 3 (MD).

Even wide-open, sunny waters can be unnerving as a result, with sharks prowling about. Been meaning to pick up the first game's Mega CD version, the JP cart gets wanged with an inexplicably god-awful new BGM for one of my favourite stages, the rush through shark-infested waters to the arctic sea.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I totally understand that Ecco comparison. It's not a conventional survival horror game, but it's such a unique game that it's difficult to categorize. Those areas that are dark and cramped, with your air running out, definitely hit a similar note of tensions that more modern survival horror aims for.

You could probably compile a huge list of horror themed games that really can't be considered survival horror games in the traditional sense. Hunter: The Reckoning is another horror action game (akin to Gauntlet) that I'd put on such a list.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Aye, this one really nips me in the tits. Survivor horror gets thrown around to anything horror themed. Fuckin' Typing of the Dead is even survival horror on ye olde wikipedia.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

drauch wrote:Fuckin' Typing of the Dead is even survival horror on ye olde wikipedia.
Well, at least that has the comparison of the RE survivor games. I think the light gun RE games confused some of the mentally challenged gaming journalists, and Typing of the Dead is also a light gun game with Zombies, basically.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

The new PSN store went live. Actually reminds me of the current Xbox front page. If you're asking if that's a good thing, no it isn't. lol

Looks like a toddler's version of the old site.

Also, if you're looking for a good PSN/Wishlist replacement, I'd reccomend this site: https://psdeals.net

It doesn't require a connection with your PSN account at all. You just create a new account on their site and make your wishlist there. Even gives you alerts when prices drop on games you're watching (optional).
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

The new YouTube Studio is too inconvenient in my personal opinion. I can't upload multiple YouTube videos at a time, and
I'm way too used to the Classic YouTube Studio, which unfortunately has been permanently removed for no logical reason.
I'm also annoyed with the constant YouTube ads whenever I'm trying to watch the videos, particularly the Grammarly ads.
It doesn't help that their videos have disabled YouTube comments, so they won't listen to the criticism people would give.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Dawn111 wrote:The new YouTube Studio is too inconvenient in my personal opinion. I can't upload multiple YouTube videos at a time, and
I'm way too used to the Classic YouTube Studio, which unfortunately has been permanently removed for no logical reason.
I'm also annoyed with the constant YouTube ads whenever I'm trying to watch the videos, particularly the Grammarly ads.
It doesn't help that their videos have disabled YouTube comments, so they won't listen to the criticism people would give.
It's really annoying how websites in general change for no good reason. Also download uBlock Origin or something similar asap and never look back.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Games that keep the playtime counter going while paused. Like Bloodstained: ROTN Image

https://youtu.be/2dwWDn3MzyU?t=12

I don't care much - if I did, I'd just save and quit - but I do like to have a sense of a game's first-run pacing. Ah well.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I heard from someone that pausing the game in the classic PS1 Resident Evil games does not pause the in-game timer... until you unplug the controller which does cause the timer to stop. Haven't tested to confirm it myself but that'd be weird design if true.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

It's weird to me that TIE Fighter required a joystick when the likes of Microsoft Flight Simulator and Falcon 3.0 were fully playable with the keyboard.

Even Flight Simulator 2020 can be played with the keyboard. It's not an optimal input method by any means, but it's there.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:It's weird to me that TIE Fighter required a joystick
The original version has mouse/keyboard support. It was removed for rereleases for some bone-headed reason or most likely apathy.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote:^ I've half-jokingly called the Ecco MD games "scrolling survival horror action," though after your description of Wrath of Earth, that's pretty much the category I'd put them in - action games with persistent resource management and high atmospheric tension. You're often navigating dark, claustrophobic passages, with air pockets not immediately apparent. And while Ecco is agile and can defend himself, there's a subtle aquatic resistance on his cinematic movement, with enemies liable to dive in from any direction. It makes certain areas (like Ecco 1's muddy prehistoric ocean) pretty nervy.

I just wish they'd put a few really terrifying, evade-or-else beasts in there... the dunkleosteuses are basically sprite-swaps of the modern-day sharks, I wanted a godawful schoolbus-sized titan to skirt around. The most massive creature you encounter is a friendly blue whale, who's still pretty imposing.

It's also one of the few sidescrollers I've played where a tight camera viewpoint isn't merely an irritating flaw, but a credible source of tension. Critically, it's not too tight (Rockman Zero - now there's a camera to horrify), and Ecco stays anchored to the screen center at all times, unlike tattier would-be 2D horror action like Alien 3 (MD).

Even wide-open, sunny waters can be unnerving as a result, with sharks prowling about. Been meaning to pick up the first game's Mega CD version, the JP cart gets wanged with an inexplicably god-awful new BGM for one of my favourite stages, the rush through shark-infested waters to the arctic sea.
Open waters is always super scary to me in video games. I was too scared to even approach the Orca as a kid in 1992, never allowing me to find out that it was actually a friend.
That stage that opens up with you stranded square in the center of the ocean in Tomb Raider 2 with no land in sight, and nowhere to go except down, left me scared as fuck at the time. Man, I wonder if that game is really as good as I remember it, it might be time to re-experience it.
Did anyone ever made a super open underwater horror game? Could be 3D, but something like Ecco could be super interesting IMO.
Reminds me that I still need to play Subnautica.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:Could be 3D, but something like Ecco could be super interesting IMO.
Reminds me that I still need to play Subnautica.
Narcosis fits the bill I think of what you're looking for.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

Vanguard wrote:
Dawn111 wrote:The new YouTube Studio is too inconvenient in my personal opinion. I can't upload multiple YouTube videos at a time, and
It's really annoying how websites in general change for no good reason. Also download uBlock Origin or something similar asap and never look back.
Yes, I have uBlock Origin on my Google Chrome. It's a useful tool to block stuff that would pop up onto my laptop.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Dawn111 wrote:Yes, I have uBlock Origin on my Google Chrome. It's a useful tool to block stuff that would pop up onto my laptop.
uBO stops all of youtube's ads on my machine. Maybe it's worse on chrome. Or do you mean ads inside the videos themselves? Sponsorblock is a good solution to those.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

YouTube in general has been going downhill. For example spit out one single "fuck" word and congrats you will be demonetized no matter if your videos are M-rated.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That sounds very unlikely to me. Any source for that claim?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

The flesh fang in modern anime-styled art. It's just deeply unsettling.
I already didn't like the actual tooth fang that shows up in a few pictures, and this retroactively makes that seem much better because it's not like something terrible happened to their mouth, it's just kinda dumb looking to me.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

flesh fangs are indeed gross, and unnatural