Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
brokenhalo

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by brokenhalo »

greg wrote:People who can't spell:
threw instead of through
could of instead of could've
don't know the difference between it's and its, your and you're (like Operation Wolf)
Basically, people who can't spell properly past the sixth grade. Typos are fine, but when an English-speaking native fails basic grammar and spelling in ways that could not be mere typo errors, that's irritating.
i have a boss who ends all of his emails with the signature, "if you aint first, your last."-ricky bobby.

that annoys the hell out of me.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

If a race of aliens from another universe came to Earth, and, for reasons unfathomable to our comparatively feeble human minds, spent most of their people-studying time in British shopping centres and supermarkets, they could only come to the conclusion that human beings were uniformly a bunch of impossibly rude, selfish cunts.

What the fuck is it with people? It's as though those automatic sliding doors have powerful empathy-sapping capabilities, or something. Everyone just turns into a pushy, shovey, blind, shameless prick - even if the place is dead, like at 9am on a fucking Tuesday. A friend of mine once snapped and got into a bad fight in a supermarket, because some guy accidentally twatted him with a trolley and, after my friend apologised to him, actually had the gall and stupidity to threaten to do it again!

Man, fuck supermarkets.

Ed: Skykid, nobody's trying to raise awareness about heterosexuality or drum up "straight pride" because we've never, ever been under any sort of threat or been excluded from anything because we like the opposite sex. Gays can still get their heads kicked in or be murdered by bewildered halfwits just for being gay, and are still fighting all sorts of legal battles regarding what they can and can't do with their own lives, etc. ;)

Obnoxious, screechy mincing might become less conspicuous as people become more genuinely accepting. The Catch 22 is that expecting it to isn't conducive to acceptance.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

greg wrote:People who can't spell:
Hehe You must really hate me then as my spelling and grammar is quite bad, especially when im half asleep and my posts are full of typos as well :lol:
greg

Post by greg »

Elixir wrote:I didn't call the cops, I called noise control. They won't know who I am and that's exactly what I want.
I'm in your situation. We moved into an apartment a month ago and the apartment above and one over is like an African American ghetto family that assumes that since rap and hip-hop or whatever it's called is the epitome of mature, brilliant music artistry, the rest of the world wouldn't mind it if they share their music real loud with the bass cranked up. It hasn't been too bad, but last night they were playing their stereo all night until about 5am.

So here's something I find annoying. Go buy some donuts at Dunkin Donuts or a bucket at KFC and you'll see a label proudly proclaiming, "0% Trans Fat!" Most cattle don't know what trans fat is at all, so they're like, "Oh, trans fat must be bad. Glad that's not in this! Heck, I think I'll buy two boxes!" So the label is meant to ease the pseudo-health conscience of morons while buying some delicious, fried garbage food. Or like Hershey's syrup or whatever with a label that says, "A fat free food!" Well okay, so there's not technically any actual fat content, but hey, just forget about all the sugar content.

I'm not going to pretend that I don't buy junk food on occasion, and anything in moderation is fine. It just kills me that they try to appease people's guilt by making them believe that it's somehow not quite as unhealthy as they thought it would be. So moronic.

EDIT:
Klatrymadon wrote:Obnoxious, screechy mincing might become less conspicuous as people become more genuinely accepting. The Catch 22 is that expecting it to isn't conducive to acceptance.
Dude, think about what you just said, and put it in frame of mind of this thread. Being obnoxious and screechy isn't going to get acceptance from anybody. It's distasteful for anyone to wear their sexuality on their sleeves, straight or gay. Prancing on a paper mache penis wearing a thong isn't going to convince anyone they're "normal," either. Skykid's talking about annoying gays just like we're talking about annoying people. Not gays in general. Let's just not have this good-natured thread devolve into that sort of thing.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Klatrymadon wrote: Ed: Skykid, nobody's trying to raise awareness about heterosexuality or drum up "straight pride" because we've never, ever been under any sort of threat or been excluded from anything because we like the opposite sex. Gays can still get their heads kicked in or be murdered by bewildered halfwits just for being gay, and are still fighting all sorts of legal battles regarding what they can and can't do with their own lives, etc.

Obnoxious, screechy mincing might become less conspicuous as people become more genuinely accepting.
I know what you're saying, and I understand that some gay people feel the need to be extroverted to make a statement about homosexuality in the modern world. But if they're trying to avoid getting their heads kicked in by homophobic thugs, obnoxious, screechy mincing probably isn't the best way to go about it. :idea:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I think you've taken more out of that than I intended, Greg, or I didn't explain myself very clearly. I certainly wasn't threatening the tone of the thread - it was a genuinely "good-natured" post. ;)

I should have referred to affectation rather than outright obnoxiousness, since, obviously, I'd never defend that in anybody. An annoying cunt is an annoying cunt, and to a certain extent the only person whose sexuality I want to hear about is the person I'm sleeping with. It's just clear that a lot of the complaints about conspicuous homosexuality boil down to saying "it's okay that you're gay, as long as I never again have to encounter or think about anything that that might entail", which, again, is not being "okay" with it at all. This is hardly a rousing or contentious statement, and it doesn't seek to defend "in-your-face" sexuality. The quoted part was the throwaway part, mate. Of course, responding to this probably makes it sound like I do have an axe to grind. :P

Anyway, you know what's more annoying than the world's most fabulous, flaming queen? People in groups of three or more walking really slowly, shoulder to shoulder and taking up the whole pavement, so that your only recourse in getting past them is to step out in front of potentially oncoming traffic. These people are going to the sun when my cannon's finished.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 12 times in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Video game players, or people in general, who act like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroGamer3
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

Tabloids and people who are obsessed with worthless celebrities. Entertainment Tonight is one of the most obnoxious shows on television. Fuck the hosts and double fuck the people who write the "breaking news stories". Triple fuck the Osmonds as well.

Oh and Cathy Lee Gifford whenever she opens her mouth to talk. Her stupid female friend is just as annoying.

Smarmy hipsters who BS their way through conversation. Homeless people who ask for extra dough on top of the dollar you just gave them (Happened to me in San Fransisco). People who make social commitments and break them without prior notice or warning. Guidos, douche bags, and chihuahuas (or any kind of "frou frou" dog for that matter). Vanilla icing that tastes like shit. Waiters and waitresses with attitudes (but sometimes if I envision myself in their positions, I can forgive them). Bees. People who talk too quietly.

Hell, sometimes I get into moods where even physical objects annoy me if I graze my leg against them when I'm walking. I say "fuck you, chair" and give it a firm hit.

Some of the things I appreciate are:

People who stick to their word. A ray of sunshine peering out of the clouds after something awesome happens. Reaching new levels in Ketsui. Funny people. Synchronious events.
Concerts. Cathartic movies, games and music. Laughter.
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

drauch wrote:Video game players, or people in general, who act like this guy:
Personally I think hes quite a decent chap who makes videos about retro games that are special to him. He (as well as the happy console gamer) are quite good to watch as the passion he has for gaming comes across very well.

What dont you like about him? Is because he talks and acts in an nerdy and effeminate way or is it the game collector shrink wrap fetish aspect that many YT gamers exibit?

EDIT:
Synchronious events
Although not quite the same as what you mean but I am a believer in good luck and bad luck and how I seem to get lots of bad or good luck coming all at once. IE Sod's Law, which I seem to be cursed with, like the shitty week im having atm, got a letter from the tax man asking for £500 (which I dont have) and my cat's died. And tommorro I should get the results of my exams from a SIA security training course. They say bad luck travels in threes, so im half expecting to of failed because I ticked a wrong box or put the wrong tutor number down or some other shit that would void the exam, all due to a ear infection I had all through the course.

Anyway enough of me been a worrywort I need to man the fuck up instead of been such a superstitoius bastard. Even if you beleive in luck or not the fact remains that the UK Tax Dept doesnt know its arse from its elbow especially this last couple of years due to using an new computer system thats fucking up everybodys tax allowance
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

nipple rings
drauch

Post by drauch »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
drauch wrote:Video game players, or people in general, who act like this guy:
Personally I think hes quite a decent chap who makes videos about retro games that are special to him. He (as well as the happy console gamer) are quite good to watch as the passion he has for gaming comes across very well.

What dont you like about him? Is because he talks and acts in an nerdy and effeminate way or is it the game collector shrink wrap fetish aspect that many YT gamers exibit?
I love happy console gamer, but retrogamer3 just annoys the hell out of me. I love nerdy talk about video games but I just hate his 'hot-shit' attitude, how he frequently references crap that is inaccurate, his poor attempts at humor, and his pathetic and almost creepy obsession with James Rolfe (see bad humor). I dunno, he just annoys me and makes garbage videos, really.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

99% of commentary accompanying youtube video game footage (Rob would be the 1% exception.)

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Overly obvious foreshadowing in literature, movies, and other media. I like it when I can reread/watch something and appreciate, in retrospect, that there was foreshadowing for a particular event. I hate it when an event is practically spoiled for you because the foreshadowing is extremely obvious.

"This monster isn't like the others!"

Oh, I wonder what will happen. Spoilers, old mentor character, if you fight this dude, you're gonna die! Hope you're genre savvy!

As an addendum to this, shows that kill off the most interesting character, leaving only the most bland ones alive.
chempop

Post by chempop »

When my elementary school students serve themselves snack by reaching in the bowl with their hands. I often catch them in the act doing this, I calmly remind them to use the scoop, they look at the scoop and then proceed to continue to use their grubby, filthy, disgusting, paws to take that one pretzel that is taunting them.

When parents send their kids to school without socks...
...in the winter!

When bank tellers ask me absurd questions when I'm depositing paychecks such as "oh wow, do you work there?"...

...no lady, I get paychecks from that place because I am screwing their bookkeeper, blackmailing them, and threatening their childrens lives on a bi-weekly basis...
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

There's a sandwhich shop in town that is one of the best. They hire work-release convicts who typically are dirty and have poor manners, so that's to be expected when you go there.

For the past year or so the guy who works the cash register says "you're welcome" when he gives you your change.
First of all, I never said "Thank you" and secondly I'm the one spending money and providing business so he has a job. So last time I was in there after he said "you're welcome," I replied "No you're welcome."
He was dumbfounded. I dont think it ever occured to him before.

This seems to be a spreading mentality in the United States - that service employees (especially in the restuarant business) are due some sort of overt thanks for simply performing the basest function of thier job.
Customers are taken for granted and expected to be grateful for basic service which we are paying for.
EinhanderZwei

Post by EinhanderZwei »

Speaking of retro-games, I'm frequently annoyed by the reviewers that call every game released before Crysis 'an unknown/forgotten masterpiece/legend'. It's okay for, maybe, ZZT or some Infocom intercative fiction games, tolerable to, say, Pathways Into Darkness, but Doom?! :|
In an alternate universal, Soldier Blade II has already been crafted by Hudson Soft and Compile with proper tate this time around (c) PC Engine Fan X!
Sega tried and failed. Nintendo didn't even try. (c) Specineff
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Right on, Koa. Any company expecting you to part with your money should be constantly doffing their caps and genuflecting, figuratively speaking, and it's grotesque that the simple fact that we're keeping them above water is so often ignored. It sounds like your man there just has a funny sense of politeness, though - go easy on him. :P
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Siren2011 wrote:
Hell, sometimes I get into moods where even physical objects annoy me if I graze my leg against them when I'm walking. I say "fuck you, chair" and give it a firm hit.

I totally do this too. :lol:
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Klatrymadon wrote:Right on, Koa. Any company expecting you to part with your money should be constantly doffing their caps and genuflecting, figuratively speaking, and it's grotesque that the simple fact that we're keeping them above water is so often ignored. It sounds like your man there just has a funny sense of politeness, though - go easy on him. :P
Maybe, but I'm quite certain in this instance it is an issue of lack of appreciation and perception of self entitlement.

And it should not go without mentioning every carry-out shop around expects to be tipped for thier service - which then becomes a bribe for continued "good" service. (and in the instance of my story above, I had just left an almost $2 tip on an $8 sandwhich, and the guy, as usual, didn't acknowledge the tip in the slightest.)

You put it quite nicely... at more than a few local establishments we almost feel as though we must bow and worship the servers for blessing us with thier mediocre service.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

jonny5 wrote:
Siren2011 wrote:

I totally do this too. :lol:
+1
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
greg

Post by greg »

Stupid spiders. They think they're so great because they have eight legs. "No, I am NOT an insect. Insects only have six legs. I am an arachnid, therefore I have eight legs. Get it straight."

Then I say, "Oh, screw you!" and then I smash him dead. That's what the jackass gets for moving in on my patio furniture without asking. I hate spiders.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Customs Offices just a bunch of pricks but that might not be a little thing

If your package happens to fall into the customs package enjoy paying more money for bullshit administrative costs then the damn VAT
they charge for the fact that that they sent out this paper,calculated the VAT,pay for the fucking paper itself etc
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Zeron wrote:Customs Offices just a bunch of pricks but that might not be a little thing
It's worthy of firebombing their offices over. It's that annoying.

drauch

Post by drauch »

People that call all insects "bugs". Hemiptera are the only true bugs, duh. And people that claim daddy-long-legs (harvestmen) are super poisonous. WRONG.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

This may just be an annoyance because I'm not familiar with it, but I've had it happen to me like 3 times in the past two weeks:

You get a bit close behind someone on the road, and as soon as you get ready to change lanes to move around them, they just thrust themselves onto the shoulder to let you pass. I've heard this is actually somewhat common, but in the 8 years now that I've been driving, I've never had it happen to me before. It just seems so awkward, almost like someone is afraid I'm gonna rear-end them, even though I'm not exactly gaining on them at lightning-speed. I can see you're in front of me, don't confuse me by slowing down more and pulling over like I'm a cop :roll:
undamned

Post by undamned »

drauch wrote:People that call all insects "bugs". Hemiptera are the only true bugs, duh. And people that claim daddy-long-legs (harvestmen) are super poisonous. WRONG.
On that note, I hate it when people kill Mosquito Hawks. Then when I explain that they are not actually giant Mosquitos, they say something stupid like "well, they look like them." Oh, yeah? You look like the guy who killed my mother! How about I kill you! J/k... about the mother part.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

drauch wrote:People that call all insects "bugs".

FUCKING BUGS!!!!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Well, except that ^ :wink:
gct

Post by gct »

drunkninja24 wrote:This may just be an annoyance because I'm not familiar with it, but I've had it happen to me like 3 times in the past two weeks:

You get a bit close behind someone on the road, and as soon as you get ready to change lanes to move around them, they just thrust themselves onto the shoulder to let you pass. I've heard this is actually somewhat common, but in the 8 years now that I've been driving, I've never had it happen to me before. It just seems so awkward, almost like someone is afraid I'm gonna rear-end them, even though I'm not exactly gaining on them at lightning-speed. I can see you're in front of me, don't confuse me by slowing down more and pulling over like I'm a cop :roll:
I actually do this from time to time because I drive slower than most people although I am consistently 10kph over the speed limit. I can usually tell the difference between someone who just follows close and someone who is an asshole though, and it's the latter case where I pull over if it's a road with just a single driving lane. I'd rather have the jerk be far gone and away than tailing me, all the while getting increasingly frustrated until he does something really unsafe.

What really grates me is that because I drive a 2-seater convertible (when I'm not driving my bike), people expect me to drive like a punkass, when I'm more concerned about road safety than most people I know.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

When people say "which begs the question" when they mean that something invites the question. Begging the question is a fallacy of reasoning.